Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #61
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Hope everyone can get away at least ... or batten down really well.
We are prepping for it at work down here ... a lot of businesses have already shutdown and have been told to evacuate yesterday.

Fingers crossed it downgrades ... and doesn't actually have a direct hit to large built up areas.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #62
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I don't think some people realise how serious this.. Yet again people have been given warning but don't seem to be reacting?? If you look at it in comparison to Tracey now which killed 65 people I think we are all in for a rude shock tomorrow morning.

:(
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #63
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If I was living in/near that area ... I would have packed my most important things last night .... and got well out of town. No way I'd like to hang around for something like that.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #64
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

It looks like they have lost the feed from Willis Island Radar....

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR413.loop.shtml

....last time we looked it was reading winds of 133kmh...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #65
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
I don't think some people realise how serious this.. Yet again people have been given warning but don't seem to be reacting?? If you look at it in comparison to Tracey now which killed 65 people I think we are all in for a rude shock tomorrow morning.

aussies are known for the 'she'll be right mate' attitude, which is all well and good, but in these times, evacuating (running) shouldn't be looked at as a weakness! i hope no one tries to be a hero and 'tough' it out.

the comparison to other storm events (on page 2) shows just how big this event is.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #66
Spudz27
Call me Spud

As I said earlier stay safe. This kind of thing makes my problems insignificant in comparison. I hope no one is killed by this and that in the next 12hours by some miracle it weakens.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #67
Jim4850

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
aussies are known for the 'she'll be right mate' attitude, which is all well and good, but in these times, evacuating (running) shouldn't be looked at as a weakness! i hope no one tries to be a hero and 'tough' it out.

the comparison to other storm events (on page 2) shows just how big this event is.
A problem is that a laneway of road can only carry 1800 vehicles per hour, this of course can create quite a headache.

I suspect Cardwell has its name on this one, and I'm sure we will feel its wrath in Ingham too but my wife didn't want to move out so we're going to sit it out.

The wind is building up now after being quite calm until a couple of hours ago.
Jim4850 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #68
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT

Cyclone tracy was 48 km wide this is 500km wide ,so 10 times bigger. Another problem with cycone tracy is many residents had a warning about another cyclone that passed about a month before cyclone tracy, that cyclone passed darwin and they thought the same would happen with cyclone tracy so they did not take it that seroiuosly, and partied on at christmas partys on chrismas eve. cyclone tracy was the smallest cyclone evr recorder(mass size) up until 2008. I was 4 and a half years old when cyclone tracy struck darwin. I remember seeing the images of it clearly on the telly on chrismas day and thinking that these poor kids have lost all there presents that santa bought them. Even though I was very young I remember feeling sorry for these people and could not belive the damage caused.

Last edited by dave289; 02-02-2011 at 12:04 PM.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #69
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

After seeing what Hurricance Katrina did, this well could be the same.
The only difference between Katrina and Yasi, is the land design.
Louisiana, is basically dead flat for the best part of 100 kilometres inland. That's why it was so bad.

This will be interesting.
Innisfail looks like it will cop it bad probably be wiped off as it's close to the river/sea. But 20k's inland is a 1500m mountain. That whole area looks like it will be a big washing machine.
If I lived there, I'd be crapping myself now. I wouldn't hesitate to get out.

Going to be interesting how it stays in it's formidable force over these Mountains.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #70
Low006
Formerly "BOOFHEAD"

Well now ready and waiting. Already gusts of winds strong, inconsistant and we have about another 12 hours til the thing hits. Decided to put the Oz flag out the front. Already a good indicator of the wind gusts.

"It's only a Pinhole!" XP resto(SOLD)
Low006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #71
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim4850
A problem is that a laneway of road can only carry 1800 vehicles per hour, this of course can create quite a headache.

I suspect Cardwell has its name on this one, and I'm sure we will feel its wrath in Ingham too but my wife didn't want to move out so we're going to sit it out.

The wind is building up now after being quite calm until a couple of hours ago.
Good luck Jim. I have alot in relatives in Ingham, and I think a few have moved to Townsville, which may still cop it.

I hope you are safe, and let us know how Ingham fairs in the next 24 hours.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #72
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good Luck to all in the path of this monster, one saving grace is at least there has been plenty of warning.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #73
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I was in Darwin when Cyclone Tracey went thru & was 21 at the time. If I was anywhere in FNQ above Rockie I would be at least 2 hrs inland by now after seeing what a cyclone of this category can do.
I saw a car in Darwin in a bank carpark with a sheet of galvanised iron horizontally thru the drivers door (not the window) that cut the drivers seat in half and stopped when it hit the gearbox. And we weren't where the eye of the storm passed over. Out in the suburbs Railway line type telegraph poles bent over 1 metre above the ground at right angles.

Of course the extent of damage depends on the path of the centre and where you are in relationship to it and the integrity of the buildings around. Once one fails and the debris starts hitting other buildings its a domino effect. But its not just buildings. Trees can be pulled out and when thrown at 300kph it doesn't matter what they hit, its going to cause massive damage. We had a row of large 10 - 15m high palms outside our building. As the lightning flashed, it was the only time you could see because of blackout, there were less & less of them till they were all gone. They didn't just blow over, they were gone!

Hopefully the major damage is not thru a town but its going to be a very traumatic experience for those that have stayed. The sound of the wind still haunts me.

Watching the telly, I don't think enough relevance has been put on how the wind direction progressively changes. People need to be aware of that so that if need be they reposition themselves in the building as conditions change. No good being in the bathroom/toilet if those rooms are on the windward side of the house and debris is punching thru the walls
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #74
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is shocking, i feel so bad and help less for you guys, they are saying this is going to be thhe worst natural disaster ever in the history in this country, i hope all you guys and your family's stay safe and be smart about it all, they are already saying people are going to die, now thats bad, it hasnt even hit yet.
i hate being down here, id rather be up there helping you guys out, stay safe
Old 02-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #75
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
Cyclone tracy was 48 km wide this is 500km wide ,so 10 times bigger. Another problem with cycone tracy is many residents had a warning about another cyclone that passed about a month before cyclone tracy, that cyclone passed darwin and they thought the same would happen with cyclone tracy so they did not take it that seroiuosly, and partied on at christmas partys on chrismas eve. cyclone tracy was the smallest cyclone evr recorder(mass size) up until 2008. I was 4 and a half years old when cyclone tracy struck darwin. I remember seeing the images of it clearly on the telly on chrismas day and thinking that these poor kids have lost all there presents that santa bought them. Even though I was very young I remember feeling sorry for these people and could not belive the damage caused.
Just to make it even more scary.

If Tracy was 50 km wide and Yasi is 500km wide it is 100 tmes larger that is, you could fit 100 Tracys in one Yasi.

But that is just area, there is altitude and pressure as well...

2011 is not starting off well.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #76
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Upto 320 kph expected. Armageddon is coming.

This is going to be huge and terrifying. My thoughts are with you all. Please stay safe.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #77
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I feel so helpless see what coming destruction people will be facing. I would be getting the F outta Dodge if it were me.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #78
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Upto 320 kph expected. Armageddon is coming.

This is going to be huge and terrifying. My thoughts are with you all. Please stay safe.
^^^ Exactly my sentiments. My reli's are in Yeppoon, just safe enough away. But they copped the floods and may cop the floods again.??
Old 02-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #79
Jim4850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Good luck Jim. I have alot in relatives in Ingham, and I think a few have moved to Townsville, which may still cop it.

I hope you are safe, and let us know how Ingham fairs in the next 24 hours.
I keep a bit of a webcam that I hope to be able to keep running, try it here if you've a curious bent, not much to see yet though.
http://221.121.146.78/
Jim4850 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #80
Robos F6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim4850
I keep a bit of a webcam that I hope to be able to keep running, try it here if you've a curious bent, not much to see yet though.
http://221.121.146.78/
It says zero rain but the road looks wet?
Robos F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #81
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

According to The Australian news, Suncorp Insurance has capped potential claims for damages due to the Cyclone at 10m only. If my calculations are correct, that won't cover squat. Basically, from what I can understand, they don't have the funds to cover both the recent Brisbane floods crisis AND FNQ claims.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225998672209

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #82
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

it may be best for people to not speculate too much, inserting doomsday references etc and make those in the area even more paranoid. Just stick to factual reporting and well wishes.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #83
Jimmyd
Banned

Lockdown time guys & girls, hang on tight and see you all post Yasi

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #84
dave289
Banned

My neighbour was over last night and talking to her son on the phone who is in cairns and was planning to stay there. I just phoned her and said maybe he should think about getting out of there. she said there were no more flights out, so I said he should be heading south on the next train available.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #85
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Best of luck! That is one hell of a storm ...... ! Amazing state of affairs up there.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #86
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/caillins13

Some guy in Townsville
Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #87
gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
According to The Australian news, Suncorp Insurance has capped potential claims for damages due to the Cyclone at 10m only. If my calculations are correct, that won't cover squat. Basically, from what I can understand, they don't have the funds to cover both the recent Brisbane floods crisis AND FNQ claims.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225998672209
The article is saying that Suncorp has insurance on their insurance. So if Suncorp has to pay less than $10 million it's on them. If they have to pay more than $10 million then Suncorp's own insurance will pay everything above the $10 million.
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #88
TZENU
XY Driv3r

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/y...er-radar/16131

Stay safe all!!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #89
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
My neighbour was over last night and talking to her son on the phone who is in cairns and was planning to stay there. I just phoned her and said maybe he should think about getting out of there. she said there were no more flights out, so I said he should be heading south on the next train available.
WTF! Why would you head sth of Cairns when Cairns is nth of the expected landfall of the cyclone. He should have headed inland or nth but its too late now. Any train service would have been cancelled same as the planes
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #90
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Just got an email from mum (we're all in vic), that my Uncle who lievs in Atherton has decided to stay and weather it out. Not to sure about the geogrpahy in north QLD, but Mum's pretty sure Atherton is fair smack on Yasi's path. Anyone up there know any better (hoping for better news than what I've been told).

Good luck guys, I have no idea what to say, as I've never had to deal with ANYTHING like this in my life. I'll be having a sleepless night and thinking of everyone up there.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post