Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Is the media biased towards Holden and against Ford?
Yes, they're biased towards Holden 167 82.67%
No, they're fairly balanced both ways 30 14.85%
No, they're biased towards Ford 5 2.48%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #61
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by faalcon
I find the bias towards Holden almost sickening, found this one
http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...iates_fastest/
Now the difference between the Falcon and Commodore is quite small but they still have to pick on the Falcon
Classic find!!! It's so disgustingly biased it's laughable. Article is titled "FALCON DEPRECIATES FASTEST" with a big picture of a BF. In the fine print however the Commodore only retains .1% more value.

2007 LARGE CARS (retained value):
THE WORST:
1. Ford Falcon BF — 47.9%
2. Mitsubishi 380 — 47.9%
3. Holden Commodore VZ — 48%

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #62
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Hybrid Commodores by 2010

Maybe they're not biased, they just eat up everything they're told. Here's another Drive classic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Hagon - May 19, 2008
Holden will begin selling a hybrid Commodore by 2010 in an effort to reduce the environmental impact of the brand’s best-selling vehicle.

With a view to bolstering sluggish large car sales, improving the export potential of the locally-made Commodore and responding to increasing environmental concerns, a senior General Motors executive has confirmed a petrol-electric Commodore is likely to arrive in dealerships within two years.
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=52633&vf=1
Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #63
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Four-cylinder Holden Commodore being "looked at"

More insight from Drive:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive
Holden is looking to reintroduce a four-cylinder version of the Commodore in an effort to boost both the classic large car's sales and environmentally friendly credentials.

“That is certainly a sensible suggestion,” says General Motors group vice president Nick Reilly, in Melbourne for a quarterly strategy meeting and responding to questions about whether Holden would introduce a four-cylinder Commodore.

“It makes a lot of sense [to offer a four-cylinder Commodore] and therefore we’re probably looking at it, but I can’t tell you when.”
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=52635&vf=1
Old 07-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #64
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wasn't Mark Reuss quoted as saying a 4cyl Commodore would not happen? What is with GM?, the left foot never knows what the right foot is doing........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #65
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Wasn't Mark Reuss quoted as saying a 4cyl Commodore would not happen? What is with GM?, the left foot never knows what the right foot is doing........
Those two articles are ancient. Just more examples of how Drive will print any of GMH's current wet dreams.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #66
Chopped
as in chopped

LAME !

Some of you girls need to get a life. (holden this, holden that !!! there is more talk/bitching about Holden on here than there is actually Ford talk / LMAO)

http://autoweb.com.au/cms/title_FG-F...wsarticle.html

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...ID=51756&vf=14

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...gain_on_holden

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-s...0518-ba9s.html

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2006...commodore-1489

^ that's just one page on google.

Perhaps it's not the media you have a gripe with but the result !!
Old 08-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #67
burnz
VFII SS UTE

your defeating the purpose of this thread!!
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #68
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
your defeating the purpose of this thread!!
Which is what....????
There are 3 voting options, 1 at each end of the scale and a neutral 1, can't be much fairer than that, everyone has a chance to vote and voice their opinions, judging by the results people have voted and sent a strong message....

Old 08-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #69
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Which is what....????
There are 3 voting options, 1 at each end of the scale and a neutral 1, can't be much fairer than that, everyone has a chance to vote and voice their opinions, judging by the results people have voted and sent a strong message....
judging by your other polls, whats the real exercise in this thread??

shurly you and everybody on here knew the results before the first post.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #70
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

shurly you and everybody on here knew the results before the first post.
People have alluded to the problem in the past, i was skeptical at first, however the poll has confirmed my suspicions...

Old 08-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #71
burnz
VFII SS UTE

"skeptical" ha ha ha.
is their an answer to my question??
Old 08-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #72
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"skeptical" ha ha ha.
is their an answer to my question??
I was also skeptical about how many Holden fanboi's this thread would uncover too....

I shouldn't have been.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #73
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
I was also skeptical about how many Holden fanboi's this thread would uncover too....

I shouldn't have been.
Sigmund Freud+clevo+dwayne johnson=4Vman
Old 08-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #74
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

burnz, i'd be careful, i got copped for my first post. Apparently it's bad to say/dislike that people here are pro-ford and anti-holden.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #75
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I HATE HATE HATE the anti-holden sentiment on this forum, and I know what the results of the poll are going to be, which are biased towards holden, which will be the opposite results on a holden forum.
So the poll is biased!
And for the record, i am very neutral, and I believe the media is pro-holden simply because of their superior marketing, superior brand image and the old fallacy that holden is somehow australian :
Hate repeated three times in upper case.

Denotes a strong aversion to this forum for perceived anti-Holden sentiment

It is a Ford Forum after all, and if you don't like it there is a red cross located on the top RHS of the screen
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #76
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah good point gcg2503
I was brought up in a holden family but i choose to own a ford because i am utterly neutral and i see the falcon as a superior car for my purposes than a commodore. It'd just be nice if i could come here to share information with people who were also lovers of falcons simply because they like them too not because they are blue-blooded and one-eyed. There's just no need for it! And as has been pointed out in the past, the falcon needs the commodore to survive, a-la caprice and crown vic.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #77
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
......It is a Forum after all, ....
That's correct it is - somewhere all views can be shared, otherwise it would be very BIAS - Hang on some members on this forum ar'nt bias are they ????!!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #78
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

makes you wonder who this fella writes for . http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=125123
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #79
burnz
VFII SS UTE

wait and see if it's plagiarized, fore/from some mag.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #80
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I don't see much bias for any brand. Carsguide (Herald Sun) is an exception.
I read many publications local and abroad and do not see the bias as you guys see it. There are the local publications that like to put the local cars with the Euro and Jap premium brands (5 series, e class & GS vs VE). I mean the local cars are good but not that good.

I think people on here take the writings of journos too personal. Your personal preferences certainly do not reflect the majority of the car buyers out there. The journos rate the cars based on certain criteria and have some personal input based on the experience they have. Most here wouldn't buy a car based on a review anyway, the decision is more personal.

Holden do have a better marketing dept but then that was also due to Ford's stupid mistakes of the past (and the possibility of new ones). The dropping of the V8 did more damage to Ford's reputation than most think. A lot of people moved camps and never looked back. Holden also have the advantage of a well known brand, the SS has a strong following and HSV have a well known product lineup which people can easily recognise. Ford have only started with the XR6(T) and the XR8, but with the potential dropping of the XR8 for the GS brand name surely will confuse buyers further.
Holden also bring out concept cars, sure most of them won't be built but who cares, they are marketing tool. What has Ford brought out recently to grab the attention of the buying public (i.e. Coupe 60).

The XR6T and F6 have given Ford a decent name again, there is a good following to these two cars. If they can keep this up, in a few years the field will level again.
There is no bias, it is just Ford haven't bothered to attract the buying public as much as Holden.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #81
Ryzz
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
makes you wonder who this fella writes for . http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=125123
Just to clarify, I am the person your referring to as the author of that review. I do not work for any media co or the media/journalism industry in way shape or form. My only connection with Holden/HSV is through the moderation of LS1.com.au.

Last edited by Ryzz; 09-09-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Typos!
Ryzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #82
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzz
Just to clarify, I am the person your referring to as the author of that review. I do not work for any media co or the media/journalism industry in way shape or form. My only connection with Holden/HSV is through the moderation of LS1.com.au.
Joined 2005, total posts 1...... I declare Ryzz to be the Anti-FEV.

Welcome to the dark side Ryzz
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #83
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK - heres the way I see it - all reporters of written media seem to be unable to report facts without bias and opinion, so to me the article reads as an advertisement for something, and it just seems that most reporters show holden bias, lets get some Ford fans working in the media circles to write pro Ford propaganda and pass it off as news. Don't forget to stay safely tucked in the office with your coffee whilst commenting on drivability of cars that you personally have never driven. The credibility of the media/news outlets if you ask me is shot to hell and hell sent it back. We need to return to the days when stuff was reported on and bias/emotion wasn't thrown in, but it won't happen they do what is commercially viable not what is right for the consumer.

Quote:

oh man you shouldn't have said that!

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #84
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't you see that by holden inviting you to such an event as nothing more than an admin on a forum is to send you out there to spread pro holden information? and whats more you gave all cars but one glowing reviews based on performance, there are many other factors, and when all competitors in the field come from the same stable, the stable will win testing holdens against holdens when we are talking about cars yields only one result holden win and receive positive spin on your forum. You have been used as a wheel in holdens propaganda machine, and you are most likely too blinded by brand loyalty to see it.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #85
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
don't you see that by holden inviting you to such an event as nothing more than an admin on a forum is to send you out there to spread pro holden information? and whats more you gave all cars but one glowing reviews based on performance, there are many other factors, and when all competitors in the field come from the same stable, the stable will win testing holdens against holdens when we are talking about cars yields only one result holden win and receive positive spin on your forum. You have been used as a wheel in holdens propaganda machine, and you are most likely too blinded by brand loyalty to see it.
I think people can see it for what it is, it wasn't a comparison with any competition, nor is he trying to provide "balance", its merely commentary on their new products.
In this instance the guy represented a Holden forum so id expect him to talk positively about his "own" product, i don't see his review is unduly biased or "unbalanced" as such because there is no comparison..., he's already "biased" to begin with.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #86
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think people can see it for what it is, it wasn't a comparison with any competition, nor is he trying to provide "balance", its merely commentary on their new products.
In this instance the guy represented a Holden forum so id expect him to talk positively about his "own" product, i don't see his review is unduly biased or "unbalanced" as such because there is no comparison..., he's already "biased" to begin with.
maybe you are missing my point, when such commentary is given to Fords products, parallells are drawn to holden product, and the whole thing seems to go as follows the Ford X can Y but the Holden X does Y better.

I am tired of reading biased reports and comparisons on things, it makes me angry, so as a result I leave automotive related print media on the shelf.

was there anybody from a Ford forum at this event to balance things up?

Old 09-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #87
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
maybe you are missing my point, when such commentary is given to Fords products, parallells are drawn to holden product, and the whole thing seems to go as follows the Ford X can Y but the Holden X does Y better.

I am tired of reading biased reports and comparisons on things, it makes me angry, so as a result I leave automotive related print media on the shelf.
You need to see things with perspective, the guy is a mod on LS1, he's been invited to a new car demo for his "preferred" brand, what else would you expect him to do?
I didnt see anywhere that he bagged the FG or claimed the VE2 to be "better"..

There's a big difference between talking positively about your preferred brand and talking negatively about the "opposition" and/or claiming your "preferred" band is better than the "opposition"...
In this case we only saw the first.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #88
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:

There's a big difference between talking positively about your preferred brand and talking negatively about the "opposition" and/or claiming your "preferred" band is better than the "opposition"...
In this case we only saw the first.
Thats my major gripe with the reporting of some journalists. When talking about the Commodore they cant help but push it as an alternative to the Falcon. A good example of these was in the BFYB where the sportswagon was torched for the first four paragraphs for being too heavy. Then the author went on to say it wasn't that bad because the Falcon was heavy too. I reckon if you asked half the motoring journalists to do a review on holden without comparing it to the Falcon their heads would implode.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #89
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Joined 2005, total posts 1...... I declare Ryzz to be the Anti-FEV.

Welcome to the dark side Ryzz
lolwut?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #90
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Good writeup. The gyst I get is you were pleasantly suprised?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post