Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #61
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the new AMC
Under Muscle Auction :Update

A 1985 VK Commodore Group A SS Number 362 of 500 Build
Sold for $63,500
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #62
dave289
Banned

Thumbs down

Thats sure is a terrible looking car, and the price(new), and to think someone might pay a ******** for it.
I would be embarassed to be seen driving it, it looks that bad.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #63
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

One of my best mates dad has a VK LM5000. There were only around 120 built and his is a rare silvery blue colour..something like 1 of 12 in that colour or something like that. He paid $11,000 for it and took it to a show and shine at the bathurst races and won best original for its class. The insurance people rang them up and said its worth at least $50,000 minimum. It is a really nice car.

just looked it up..the colour of my mates car is asteroid silver lol

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Last edited by tankclare; 18-11-2010 at 10:06 AM.
tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #64
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
I hope youre just being funny. Nimbin as the hippy capital of Aus came out of the Aquarius festival in I think 1974. It was however a farming community prior to that. Prior to the smack heads in the late 80's it wasnt a half bad town. Now its just feral.
Yes mate, trying to be funny. I was trying to connect the notion of crystals and energy polarizer’s with being a freaked out hippy on drugs, like the troglodytes of Nimbin.

Sort of like if I were to say that the central coast was founded by "The old lady who lived in a shoe" (you know, all those kids and being single etc); to reference it being the single mother capital of the Australia according to centrelink statisitics on recipients of the unmarried mothers' pension.
Yes, at times it can be a bit of a stretch I'll admit, but after the realisation it was said in jest indicative of how preposterous the claim is, people then come to understand and hopefully, have a little laugh to themselves. Why is it important to have a little laugh you may ask? Well, they haven't found a way to tax it yet and despite the PC police trying to kill anything that resembles enjoyment or fun, it's a little act of defiance against all of those who would like us to comply and become good little working robots for the state.

On a personal note, I was unfortunate enough to meet Peter Brock in 1995 and was dismayed at his attitude towards not going to the airport in my car as it was a F'N ford. Knowing now that he believed in crystals and magic happening I personally am amused at his acid inspired life choices which resulted in his Holden sponsorship being suspended.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #65
BA-Fan
Formerly SM0KED

There was a documentary made about these cars:

BA-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 02:40 AM   #66
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was Phat Customs around back in '87? The bodykit fit and panel gaps are horrendous.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:54 AM   #67
MexicanBatman
Banned

I prefer the VN aero to that

LOL
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #68
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanBatman
I prefer the VN aero to that

LOL
I'd prefer root canal therapy and having my XXXX stuck in a blender to driving this hideous monstrosity.
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #69
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
I'd prefer root canal therapy and having my XXXX stuck in a blender to driving this hideous monstrosity.
Fair enough.
If you'd rather destroy a perfectly good blender with a can of Queenslands finest beer than drive the quintessential culmination of embarrassment of the 80's then fair enough. Big hair, leg warmers, Holden Director.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #70
BA-Fan
Formerly SM0KED

Only 12 BROCK VL Directors were built,and aimed at the high end European Imports with performance and equipment levels to match. It was also effectively the last HDT to be produced under the classic Holden/Brock partnership.

It sported a smorgasbord of luxury features including Peratus or Recaro leather covered seats, wood grain trimming, plush pile carpet, Momo wheel, optional moon roof, car phone, 80 watt 4 speaker sound system and a Yamaha CD Player. Buyers could choose either Momo stars or Simmons rims.

Another major inititive was the Independant Rear Suspension available for the cars. Sourced from the Opel Senator, the IRS transformed the vehicles handling, but only the first two Directors featured IRS. At the time HDT was not on the best terms with Holden and in turn Peri Integration was given the reponsibility of designing and implementing the the all-new 21 piece body kit which would completely disguise the 9 year origin of the panels. The Bodykit included half panel door skirts, fender caps, nose extention, front and rear spoilers, even pillar caps to disguise the 'greenhouse area' on the original Holden design.

On 20 February 1987, Brock unveiled the car to the public despite protests from Holden and this would seal the split between Brock & Holden, thus ending one of the greatest automotive partnerships in Australian motoring history.

Brocks ambition was to sell the Directors across the world, Emulating what AMG, Mercedes and BMW were doing with their six figure imports. To stimulate interest from potential dealers he built two prototypes that wore the VL LE bodykit parts and featured the IRS. One was taken to Europe and America and despite keen interest, the idea never eventuated and just 9 Directors would be produced.

Factory Specs
Engine: Option 1: 'High output' 4.9 Litre Overhead valve V8, with roller rockers and hand finished cylinder heads, 2 valves / cylinder Bore x Stroke (mm): 101.6 x 78.6 Compression ratio: 8.5:1 Power approaching the 223kw mark.
Option 2: 5.6 Litre HDT-enhanced stroker V8, Overhead valve, 2 valves, Max Power: 231kW @5400rpm and 536nm of torque @3200rpm.
Induction: Four Barrel Rochester Carburetor
Transmission: T5 5 Speed Manual or THM 700H 4 four-speed Automatic.
Ratios (Automatic)
1st: 2.45:1
2nd: 1.45:1
3rd: 1.00:1
4th: 0.68:1
Clutch: Single Dry Plate (Torque Converter in Auto's)
Steering: Power assisted Rack & Pinion.
Suspension: Front: Fully independant. Macpherson struts with coil springs and anti-roll bar.
Rear: Live axle located by trailing arms and Panhard rod. Coil springs and anti-roll bar.
Optional: Independant Rear.
Brakes: Power assisted four-wheel discs ; Corvette 289mm front; 230mm rear
Wheels & Tyres: 16" x 8" Momo star rims, Bridgestone Potenza RE71 205/55VR16s or 16"x7" Simmons B45 rims
Performance:
Fuel Tank: 90 Litres.
Number Built: 9 production, 2 "World Test".
Prices: $55,000 for base Director.
IRS: $6500
Stroker Engine: $8250
All boxes ticked - $87,000 (incl options)
Kerb Mass: 1412kg.

Pics:

And two built without the bodykit for overseas testing:

BA-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #71
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Looks lumpier than a condom stuffed full of walnuts.

Smooth must have been an ugly word while it was being designed.

Looks a million times better with the LE kit, and would have been an excellent car at the time with the nice seats, 4 speed auto, IRS and stroker. The ghey kit ruined it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #72
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has it been sold yet?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #73
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Has it been sold yet?
It's been for sale on Carsales for close to two years... 130k.

Beautiful car. I'd pay 130 for it but not 300.

Carsales link
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #74
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T
It's been for sale on Carsales for close to two years... 130k.

Beautiful car. I'd pay 130 for it but not 300.

Carsales link
Two different cars - the one in the above link is a Bathurst Aero, and not a Director (no boxed guards). Not sure why the advertiser made it so confusing.

The car in the original link is an actual Director.
Ford17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #75
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

much rather a VK group A... that vl is shambles.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #76
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM0KED
Only 12 BROCK VL Directors were built
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM0KED
Brocks ambition was to sell the Directors across the world, Emulating what AMG, Mercedes and BMW were doing with their six figure imports. To stimulate interest from potential dealers he built two prototypes that wore the VL LE bodykit parts and featured the IRS. One was taken to Europe and America and despite keen interest, the idea never eventuated and just 9 Directors would be produced.
Wait.....

Am I seeing wrong, or did you slip with the keyboard, or was it this:

1 pre-production prototype built
2 Prototypes built, one sent to europe, AND America or another one America as well?
3 9 Produced.

And thats the 12? or was it 11? I've read before that there were 12 built, but by the way I am reading how they were built, I am seeing 11.

I am interested to know:
What happened to the two that went abroad did they stay there, or come back?
& What happened the very first one?

By the looks of it that red one from above is one of the IRS ones.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 12-12-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #77
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The emoticons clearly show my reactions when I seen this thread....

In all seriousness I would not buy it for 3k as a car, taking away all historic value....
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #78
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brock's intention with the director was to make it "unrecognisable" as a Holden.

I don't mind it, and I've had a drive of one (Dark Blue, recaros, 16" B45 simmons, sunroof). Seeing it in pictures is a little different than from behind the wheel. Wouldn't pay $300k for one. But then, wouldn't pay $300k for an Ph3 either. Don't mind the VL Aero in that link above either, and I've had a replica of one of those.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #79
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

I think they look fantastic, i have a real soft spot for HDT's
Old 12-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #80
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-351
I think they look fantastic, i have a real soft spot for HDT's
Please stay on the phone, we are sending our "tailors" around to fit you with a lovely jacket.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 04:40 AM   #81
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=rag top]Brock's intention with the director was to make it "unrecognisable" as a Holden.

He failed miserably then , that said though he did achieve making it look a hideous abomination .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #82
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You got it right in one word. HIDEOUS, and EL351 maybe a trip to the optometrist may be needed. LOL
Cheers
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #83
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450
You got it right in one word. HIDEOUS, and EL351 maybe a trip to the optometrist may be needed. LOL
Cheers
GT450

Ha ha ha ha.
I hear OPSM have a christmas promotion on at the moment; buy one pair get the second pair free.

Quote: