Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #61
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

That's a classy advert alright, and I really like the bit of back and forth that Ford and Toyota are doing at the moment.

Ford put's the Kluger in the new Terri ad, when the kid wishes it was a Terri.
Toyota put the Terri in the Country Border Security ad, saying that it wants to be a tough Toyota 4WD.
And now parking the Fiesta ECOnetic in front of a Prius billboard. Great stuff.

Good to see instead of the normal Ford V Holden stuff.
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #62
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like how they give the illusion that its as big or bigger than a Prius also
Great ad.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #63
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal_250
That's a classy advert alright, and I really like the bit of back and forth that Ford and Toyota are doing at the moment.

Toyota put the Terri in the Country Border Security ad, saying that it wants to be a tough Toyota 4WD.

Does Ford do an ad at all that shows the Territory doing off road work?
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #64
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
Does Ford do an ad at all that shows the Territory doing off road work?
I don't believe they have, someone may prove me wrong though.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #65
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

I think there was a couple of shots in the original Territory introduction ad, but nothing hard.
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #66
Cuey
Built Ford Tough

Fiesta ad...love it

"I believe it was an old, old wooden ship used in the civil war era."

Ron Burgandy - Anchorman
Cuey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #67
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great Fiesta ad, it's very clever. Notice the tradesmans Transit in the background along with the other Ford vehicles? Smart.
Old 28-12-2009, 04:46 AM   #68
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
New TVC - I just saw it on the Cricket.

I think it's excellent.
Fully agree. Smart, direct, not nasty just factual and i expect toyota to take it in its stride (unlike Holden....). They might counter it though, which is their right.

I was talking to a friend of the family recently (as you do at this time of year catching up etc.) and, while a car/mechanical kinda guy, he is definitely not a ford nut or even have any real alegiance to any brand. He said to me that based on what he has been reading/impressions ford is 'going somewhere...holden isn't' and that 'ford is smarter, moving forward...' etc. It was interesting because even a few years ago there was not such a view in the public mindset re Ford and its reputation.

Slowly but surely Ford are getting somewhere.....ads like this just reinforce that perception. Its a brand building ad as much as a fiesta or 'green' ad...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #69
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Saw the add for the first time last night. Brilliant add, say's it all...........
Old 29-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #70
351capri
windsorman

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal_250

spot on ! and as more and more of holdens b.s. advertising becomes known, you'll find that the battle will become more ford /toyota as gm drags holden further down the s bend into insignificance.....
Old 29-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #71
Chopped
as in chopped

What a good Ad and no doubt getting up the nose of the Toyota Aus Execs.

Finally Ford see the light and who the real target is ....Toyota
(Not Holden as half the Ford Flock believe)

Ford AND Holden should be attacking Toyota full on / go for the throat. Toyota stole both of their sales and have put them when they are now.

Toyota are the masters of marketing BS.

Look out for the Mitsubishi’s i MiEV (it uses no petrol)
Old 29-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #72
4dlvr
4dlvr

Toyota have worked and worked hard to get where they are now.. most of there cars are good and do EXACTLY what there meant to..

i the car maker we need to look out for is Hyundai.. there the car maker Toyota is scared of.. you always got to be 1 step ahead in the car industry..

either way, about time ford is making some good car, i just wish they had mentioned the price difference in the add to
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #73
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr
Toyota have worked and worked hard to get where they are now.. most of there cars are good and do EXACTLY what there meant to..

i the car maker we need to look out for is Hyundai.. there the car maker Toyota is scared of.. you always got to be 1 step ahead in the car industry..

either way, about time ford is making some good car, i just wish they had mentioned the price difference in the add to
Toyota have worked just as hard on their image as their product.

Toyota are most scared of the Koreans and have admitted as much.

Ford and Holden also have a "Bogan" image problem to contend with.
Old 29-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #74
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Caught the add this morining while at the gym on the treadmill, no sound but the add actually made me smile to myself, when the signwriter rips down the Prius sign, Well done Ford!!
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #75
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

You're quite right Chopped. Ford doesn't need to worry about Holden, about the only product Ford doesn't have a better one of over Holden is a sportswagon, but that's (arguably) covered by the territory and the BFIIIIII wagon.

Toyota is the main concern here. The've sewn up the mid-size car segment with how many damn Corollas they sell (always in the top 5 car sales per month) and they're edging in on the taxi market (and yes, ford has largely walked away from this, but if it weren't for fords as cabs i would never have looked at them twice) and then there's the 'green' hero car, the prius. Ford don't see Holden as a competitor, only magazines see that.
Old 29-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #76
Chopped
as in chopped

I can see why the Hilux and Landcruiser are popular (best in class) but as for the rest of the Toyota range...well it's ho hum.

Well done Ford for seeing this. If Holden joined in then it might start to break the over inflated image of the Toyota brand as seen by the sheeple car buyers.

An Aunty of mine was going to blindly buy an Echo sedan (vomit twice) just because it was a Toyota (not even test drive it). I suggested she also try the Mazda 2 and Fiesta. She bought the Mazda 2 ! (and loves it, annoyingly so!)
Old 29-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #77
kezzer

Is this fiesta going to go around bathurst so we can get a real idea of it's efficiency??
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #78
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Is this fiesta going to go around bathurst so we can get a real idea of it's efficiency??
OMFG, TAKE A JOKE MODS!!!!!! Just saw my rating smiley face thing go down again, what the hell lol
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #79
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually it is not such a bad idea.. Take it along with the Mazda 2, Getz, Toyota's & Holden's light car see what happens??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #80
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford are really pumping the adds on this, or maybe I'm just noticing because we have a tv for the first time in a few months :p
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #81
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Sounds like a fantastic little car and good to see Ford getting on the front foot with the publicity this this is getting.

One concern though will be the traffic light test. I'm sooooo not looking forward to getting stuck behind some tree hugging hippy in one of these things at the lights and waiting forever for them to pull away, forgetting entirely that not everyone has all day to get nowhere in the pursuit of .2l/km economy savings...
I don't know what you drive but chances are you hope your chasing one in a straight line only . A guy from the local Ford dealer copped a ticket for unsafe driving in the demo econetic the other day. Doing 80kmh.... in a 80 zone.... Around a hairpin :P the cops were clearly not as impressed with the Fiesta being able to do that without wheelspin or sliding as the driver was
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #82
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/57904/fo...iew-road-test/

Quote:
Ford Fiesta ECOnetic Review & Road Test

March 1, 2010 by Nadine Armstrong

Model Tested:

* 2010 Ford Fiesta ECOnetic; 1.6-litre, turbo-diesel, four-cylinder; five-speed manual; five-door hatch: $24,990*

plus - Great fuel economy; low CO2 emissions; nimble handling
minus - No auto option; no spare wheel; manual rear windows

CarAdvice Rating: 4/5

Ford flaunts its eco-credentials in the greenest car of all, the Fiesta ECOnetic. It’s fuel efficient, environmentally friendly and boasts five-star safety. It’s the Fiesta we know, but better.

The Fiesta ECOnetic is the sixth model variant on offer in the Fiesta line-up and is available in one specification only, a five-door, 1.6-litre, turbo-diesel, five speed manual.

The 1.6-litre turbo-diesel engine is a beautiful match for this car. It produces 66kW at 4000rpm and 200Nm at 1750rpm. It does fall 22kW short of its petrol manual siblings – the Fiesta CL, LX and Zetec – but makes up for it with an increase in torque, an extra 48Nm to be precise. You’ll find the power output more than adequate for this light car.

The ECOnetic stands out for several reasons, most notably for the fact it trumps both the Toyota Prius and the Mini Cooper D for fuel economy, proudly claiming the hot seat as Australia’s most fuel efficient car.

With a combined fuel consumption of just 3.7 litres per 100 kilometres, the ECOnetic is incredibly frugal… the most frugal. The ECOnetic delivered impressive fuel efficiency on a city-based test route, averaging 4.7 litres per 100km. Based on this, the combined cycle claim seems easily achievable. If your daily commute is highway based, you could be achieving as low as 3.2 litres per 100 kilometres. Fewer trips to the bowser can only be a good thing.

The ECOnetic’s CO2 emissions are also very low, at just 98 grams per kilometer. It is the only non-hybrid vehicle to produce emissions sub 100 grams. The Mini D comes close at just 104 grams. Toyota’s Prius comes in at 89 grams per kilometer.

To compliment the efficient engine, a few design changes also come into play to deliver these eco-delights. The ECOnetic’s 14 inch wheels are fitted with low rolling resistance tyres to reduce drag and engine strain; a lowered ride height, air deflectors and unique wheel covers help aerodynamics; and weight is reduced by the use of a tyre mobility kit in place of a spare wheel. If you’re happy to partake in a more prescribed drive experience to maximize fuel economy, a green shift indicator light in the instrument cluster signals the optimal point to change gear.

On top of all of this, the ECOnetic gains a five-star rating from ANCAP. Driver and front passenger airbags, head and thorax front side airbags, driver’s knee airbag, anti-lock brakes with electronic brakeforce distribution, and dynamic stability control with traction control and emergency brake assist complete a good safety package.

The five-speed manual gearbox is very nice, with smooth power delivery. Gear ratios are well spaced and the throw between gears is short. Handling the ECOnetic is just as nice. Steering is light and precise and offers adequate feedback and the three-spoke leather-wrap steering wheel feels nice in hand. The Fiesta ECOnetic is a great city car thanks to its petite proportions and simple manouvreability. The ECOnetic is an enjoyable and satisfying drive.

I found it easy to get a comfortable driving position and everything is easily accessed from the driver’s seat, however overall levels of comfort seem to decline as the size of passengers increases! At over six-feet tall, my passenger struggled to get comfortable – there’s not a great amount of leg room.

Forward and side visibility is good, but poor rearward visibility is a challenge – particularly when parking.

Second row passengers are comfortable, but also a little tight for leg room – particularly the centre passenger position. All three passengers get three-point seat belts, but the centre passenger has no head rest. Second row passengers have manual only windows, which for kids is apparently a tedious chore and archaic design!

The centre dash display of the ECOnetic is the same as other Fiestas – angular shapes and lots of plastics. While it’s all nicely placed and very clear, I think it’s already starting to date a little.

The ECOnetic has a good audio system, comprising; AM/FM radio, single CD with MP3 capability, six speakers, Bluetooth hands free with voice control system, auxiliary and USB audio input. The Bluetooth system is very simple to connect and to use.

You will be hard pressed to find a worthy competitor for the Fiesta ECOnetic – they are, well, almost non-existent. A spritely 1.6-litre turbo-diesel engine, incredible fuel efficiency, the lowest CO2 emissions for a non-hybrid and five star safety – for under $25,000. The ECOnetic should be bolting out the door. If you’re simply after a light car, check out our light car comparison which includes rivals such as the Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris. If you’re after fuel efficiency, the Toyota Prius or Mini D are clear competitors, but you’ll be forking out significantly more cash.

The ECOnetic shines in a league of its own, at least for now.

Ratings:

CarAdvice Overall Rating: 4/5
How does it Drive: 4/5
How does it Look: 4/5
How does it Go: 4/5

Specifications:

* Engine: 1.6-litre DOHC four-cylinder (16 valve)
* Power: 66kW @ 4,000rpm
* Torque: 200Nm @ 1,750rpm
* Induction: Turbocharged
* Transmission: Five-speed manual
* Driven Wheels: Front
* Brakes: Disc (F) / Drum (R) with ABS, EBA & EBD
* Top Speed: Not Tested
* 0-100km/h: Not Tested
* CO2 Emissions: 98g/km
* Fuel Consumption: 3.7L/100km (ADR – Combined)
* Fuel Consumption: 4.7L/100km (As Tested – City Cycle)
* Fuel Tank Capacity: 40L
* Fuel Type: Diesel
* ANCAP Rating: Five-star
* Airbags: Front, Side and Driver’s Knee
* Safety: ESC with Traction Control
* Spare Wheel: N/A
* Suspension: Strut (F) / Multi-link (R)
* Cargo Capacity: 295L
* Tow Capacity: N/A
* Turning Circle: 10.2m
* Warranty: Three-Year / 100,000km
* Weight: 1,088kg (Tare)
* Wheels: 14-inch Steel
Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #83
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
I don't know what you drive but chances are you hope your chasing one in a straight line only . A guy from the local Ford dealer copped a ticket for unsafe driving in the demo econetic the other day. Doing 80kmh.... in a 80 zone.... Around a hairpin :P the cops were clearly not as impressed with the Fiesta being able to do that without wheelspin or sliding as the driver was
I can second that fun factor. These things FLY - and when pushed don't use much more fuel at all!!!!

Never ever believed you could have so much fun in an "eco" car until I drove an ECOnetic, but I stand very massively corrected. :
Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #84
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

These things seem to have all the Zetec features but with the povo pack outside.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #85
zetec
Zoom Zoom

It's Zetec spec inside other than the coloured dash. Full 5-star, with DSC, Bluetooth and voice control, plus cruise and leather wheel.

It's effectively just manual windows (not a deal breaker) and hubcaps which are part of the aerodynamic effect.

Works for me. I'd get one as a city car to/from work in a heartbeat and am planning exactly that as soon as I'm married and my other half needs a new car. She'll get my Mondeo/Falcon whatever I'm driving and I'll take a Fiesta ECOnetic daily.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #86
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I have a CL, not too bad, goes alright from 3500-6000RPM and the shift mechanism on the gear lever is perfect. Plus it sounds pretty "tough" in the drivers seat for a little 1.6L 4 cylinder.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #87
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With a whopping 66kw of turbo power is it P plate legal in NSW or is a P plater not allowed to drive it because its a TURBO?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #88
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Turbo Diesels are P plate legal in NSW
Old 02-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #89
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good little car, but at the end of the day my MK7 Zetec can get mid fours on hi-way travel, where this car shines is in the city. Not a big fan of those tiny wheels...
Old 03-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #90
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

At the end of the day the econetic can get 2.9L/100 on the highway. Whats your point?