Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #61
bad moon rising
Banned

Default Re: Anyone see this on ACA?

i think some of these guys bring it upon themselves i mean if your car is 30dB over the limit and you have half an engine sticking out of the bonnet of course your gonna get canaried. i think people should use this as an incentive to build more sleepers,nothing cooler in my eyes than a stock looking unassuming car that can blend in with the traffic then blow them all away when the need arrises.
also what i dont understand is if people can afford to spend $30k on a motor and $20k on paint and all the rest, then why not at least try to spend a couple of $k trying to get some of the mods engineered.
bad moon rising is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #62
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I remember when working on my car a couple of years ago at my house, a mate put the tranny into reverse and next thing I see is 1800 odd kg comming straight for me. Car hit me with enough force to lay me on my ar5e and wind me... ( true story)Luckily I didn't make it up the bonnet otherwise my K&N filter that was sticking out through my shaker hole would have finished me off.
Old 25-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #63
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Id have to say the NSW police truly are going over the top. I have never heard of rear passenger window tint that is too dark causing a bingle.

Australia is over regulated.

If a young bloke is silly enough to lower his car too far, that wont cause an accident either, he will just eventually realise how dumb he is and return it to a normal ride height.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #64
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
I like how she ended the story...

"If you have an issue with "Enthusiasts" in your area, we want to know about it"

What a crock! She might as well say anyone who has any interest in cars is a hoon, whether you be 16 or 60. I'm sure the old boys in the MG Club would love to be labelled the same as those guys in that story.
I agree, that was the worst part. It was slandering anyone with an interest in cars and that they're the lowest in society. So I guess the mature-aged Morris Minor enthusiasts are also hoons then.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm fairly sure if you got hit by an XY Falcon, the air cleaner sticking out of the bonnet is the least of your concerns, the way those things are, I reckon it'd push the unlucky person who gets hit UNDER the car, not over it, they've got a very square looking front.

Anyways even if you did take out the air cleaner, isn't it just foam/paper anyways with a plastic or rubber reinforcing ring?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #66
Torment47
Mr Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
Better to be a murderer, rapist or peadophile these days, less chance of being caught and if you did you would probably still get off.
or a terrorist?
Torment47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #67
Torment47
Mr Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
I like how she ended the story...

"If you have an issue with "Enthusiasts" in your area, we want to know about it"

What a crock! She might as well say anyone who has any interest in cars is a hoon, whether you be 16 or 60. I'm sure the old boys in the MG Club would love to be labelled the same as those guys in that story.
Sounds like ACA are working for the cops!
Torment47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #68
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Anyways even if you did take out the air cleaner, isn't it just foam/paper anyways with a plastic or rubber reinforcing ring?
Another issue could be the metal components that are just below the air filter assembly that are also protruding out from the bonnet. It's also worth noting that cars built to modern day standards require buffer zones between the bottom of the bonnet and the top of the engine to be more pedestrian friendly in the event of an accident. You could infer from that, that there has been the issue of unnessecary casualties cause in accidents to pedestrians.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #69
an10as

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
Id have to say the NSW police truly are going over the top. I have never heard of rear passenger window tint that is too dark causing a bingle.
It's more than that, the cops dont like pulling someone over and not be able to see what's going on inside
an10as is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 02:04 AM   #70
an10as

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYGTHO
I'm with GPT Owner it really ****ed me off. Yer the guy was an idiot talking about doing the burnouts, pretty stupid saying that. Would probably be legal with a scoop over the aircleaner but how does that change anything?
I doubt it. Has to be lower than the centre of a 165mm diameter ball up against the front of it.
Old 26-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #71
an10as

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluovl
This might be off topic so if moderators feel it is please delete this post.

Are there statistics anywhere to say x amount of people have been injured by an air cleaner poking through a bonnet? Not crash tests, actual incidents. Or is it just blindly accepted it's a common occurance that people are being injured by air cleaners. I honestly dont know but would love to.

A few months back I was at a hot rod event in the US where there were 3500 entrants and a stack more in attendance. Folks driving around the streets in blown unfendered cars ,low as low having a ball. It all seemed quite natural and nobody was getting hurt. It just makes me wonder how we here in Australia have ended up with so many rules and regulations on what we can do to our cars. And now being policed like car enthusiasts are public enemy number one.
C'mon admit it, we all know it, there are a lot of hoons in the modified car scene, some of them are down right dangerous. Who lowers their car, puts on larger brakes, does lots power upgrades etc etc to stick to speed limits and make sure the wheels don't spin?
I did hate though how they used the term car enthusiasts to describe hoons. That's as low as ACA can get. People are hoons in any car but they do seem go hand in hand more with modded cars
Old 26-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #72
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
I remember when working on my car a couple of years ago at my house, a mate put the tranny into reverse and next thing I see is 1800 odd kg comming straight for me. Car hit me with enough force to lay me on my ar5e and wind me... ( true story)Luckily I didn't make it up the bonnet otherwise my K&N filter that was sticking out through my shaker hole would have finished me off.
I know! It terrifies me every day I see a protuding filter, shaker, scoop or external gauge on a car, thinking, this could be the one that gets me!.... I put ADR approved collapsable posts on the dummy spots on my EH for that exact reason so as not to get defected. I also removed the bumper bars and all solid exterior surfaces were replaced with bubble wrap and cardboard...

If the police give a crap about pedestrian safety I look forward to the ACA report on police doing checks on 4WDs with hopeless poser drivers with no need for Prados and the like in suburbia, and defecting their cars for lacking reversing cams, having blindspots, bullbars, roof racks where does it end. Keep persecuting the minority to keep the moronic drone majority happy
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #73
CustomG6ET
Turboriffic

i dont know if this is relevant but i will point it out anyway.
in past experiences i have found that there are police officers out there who dont know the laws properly. There is actually courses that have to be taken to be a vehicle inspector and there is a large amount of officers who infact dont have to have these qualifications to inforce the law a great example of this is a highway patrol pulled me over for having my fog lights on which i take full responsibility for but to prove a point to all the people driving past he asked me to lift the bonnet and then asked "is everything under here standard". If he is allowed to write defect notices then he should be able to tell for himself he also opened every door to check the seat belts to which he says "the driver side seat belt is retracting too slowly" this was after he pulled it all the way out and pulled it out of the door nearly to the ground. I smiled and nodded and said i would get it checked funny thing is the RTA said that as long as it retracts and locks there is no time limit. i would have more confidence in the police catching the proper hoons if they actually knew what thy were looking for
CustomG6ET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #74
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll go along with "they don't say don't modify your car, just do it legally". If they say in your state you can't fr example have an air cleaner through the bonnet, then you can't have an air cleaner through the bonnet...deal with it.
I just watched the video, and that air cleaner assembly hanging out of the bonnet of the white XY to that height would be totally illegal in any state of the nation...here in Queensland especially so...there's guidelines to how high a thing must be, and I think it also specifically says no air cleaners out the bonnet...it'd look just as good with a shaker, and be legal too. And 117dB? Mate...don't stand there and tell us it's "100% legal"...come on...you know it's not and you've only got yourself to blame...

I totally agree with the shielas in the blue LANCER (not Subaru...) who had the dark tint getting defected...only 3% light transmission?? What did they use, black paint? Bloody hell...I one put 15% limo tint on the back window of an old ute we owned once, and took it off because as soon as the sun went behind a cloud, it turned into virtually black glass you couldn't see through...they'dhave a great view of the traffic inside that thing with 3% windows...

As for "why do shops sell mods if they're not legal", simple...half the stuff in your local Autobarn or Supercheap for modifying cars is somewhere between outright illegal and skirting around the edge of the laws...it's not thier fault if you choose to fit it to a street car. Some parts even have "not for street use" on them (usually American stuff). You can walk into a suspension shop and order super duper hyper low springs that leave you with the supension travel of a Matchbox car and the legality of driving after drinking two bottles of rum, but you can still buy and fit them...it's not thier fault...your told them they were for a show car...don't blame us...it's customer demand...

As for blaring overly loud exhaust sound volume, it's purely, completely for show...you can get an exhaust system that flows well and is below the decibel level and still make the big numbers...one that springs to mind was an R32 Skyline in an AutoSalon magazine my son had a couple of years back that was making nearly 700hp, yet because of a cleverly designed exhaust system and good mufflers, was actually just below the legal level they test you for in a dB test station. It's possible to do it, and while I love a nice fruity exhaust, it isn't actually necissary that it be "loud" as the white XY guy claimed...

Download your particular states code for light vehicle modification and you'll be surprised what you are allowed to have...just take notice at the same time of what you're not allowed to have and you'll be right...

...and take it from me, there's literally nothing more satisfying than getting pulled over in a modified car that's completely, totally legal, and there's not a damn thing they can defect you for...most cops thank you for doing it all the right way, but you always see some other cops spitting chips in the background...they absolutely hate it...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 26-01-2012 at 04:11 AM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 04:32 AM   #75
FalconForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Bonnet emblems on Mercedes of the same vintage as an XY are not designed to snap off. Nor are those of the Jag, Rolls Royce or Bentley that were made of metal in the sixties and seventies. If you are going to get hit by a steel bumpered old car, the air cleaner will be the least of your worries.
Still does not compare to a bullbar with fishing rod holders and huge aerials.

True i didn't consider the older vintage cars when i wrote that. i most certainly wouldn't want to be cleaned up by a big bull bar but at the end of the day, the law is the law.

not that i am siding with the cops or ACA i wish they didn't have to put all car enthusiasts in the 'hoon' category

What's scarier than the thunder? The Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Doesn't matter anyway whatever they do its wrong according to people on here.
FalconForce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #76
mick457
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip04
The worst thing about this is there's ABSOLUTELY nothing we can do about it... What a fked justice system we have...
i also watched the story that someone posted on facebook
what a load of crap
but your wrong there is something we can do, altho abit silly
class action against aca
for unfairly depicting car enthusiasts as "hoons"
or something like car clubs making the general public know that we are only out there to have fun on a cruse, education is the key for the generall public

Performace
DBA 4000s, Blue power intake, Whiteline swaybars, FG manifold, PWR Radiator, king springs low, Monroe gt sport
DJR bobtail, LSD 3.46, 20%UD
Pacemaker 4490s, Venom cat, redback catback
mick457 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #77
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick457
i also watched the story that someone posted on facebook
what a load of crap
but your wrong there is something we can do, altho abit silly
class action against aca
for unfairly depicting car enthusiasts as "hoons"
or something like car clubs making the general public know that we are only out there to have fun on a cruse, education is the key for the generall public
Then we can use the money to pay for more "LEGAL" mods
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #78
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconForce
True i didn't consider the older vintage cars when i wrote that. i most certainly wouldn't want to be cleaned up by a big bull bar but at the end of the day, the law is the law.

not that i am siding with the cops or ACA i wish they didn't have to put all car enthusiasts in the 'hoon' category
Yep - just because we like to drive modified cars does not make us hoons.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #79
falcon01
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw this article I thought what a pile of ****** it was totally against anyone how mods there cars in other words keep them standard or your in deep ******. So boys and girls no more changing your valve caps or aca/police will be after you
Extractors, 100cpi Cat, Xr6T Exhaust, White Line 27mm Front Sway Bar, Territory Intake Pipe, Tinted Windows, Bpt Thermostat K&N Air Filter, Dba Sloted SS Front &Rear, Bendix Ultimate Brake Pads Front & Rear, Monroe Gt Shocks Front and Rear, Slim Weathershields,Xr Springs F/R, Driving Lights, Fairmount external trim, Fairmount Clock, Genric
Tune, Underdrives, 4.11 Diff/Lsd, SS Growler

To Come,
Custom Tune,
Workshop Build
falcon01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #80
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, it wasn't against "mods"...it was against people who make illegal mods and damn well know it. Again, "white XY guy" knew damn well his exhaust was way too loud, and claimed it "needed to be like that" when it just doesn't...there's a dfference between exhaust "note" and exhaust "noise". Similarly, he would have known that having a high rise manifold and velocity stack with a tall air cleaner whacked on top is illegal...it's just for show.

If you know damn well your modifications are illegal, then don't whinge when you eventually get pasted by the plod.
Old 26-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #81
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

In case some of you do not know or have forgotten, the police enforce the rules, not make them.

An older car can get away with more mods than a late model car.

An extremely low car can be dangerous, it may have no suspension travel left and will handle the road conditions very well.

Bonnets scoops have legal requirements that can be met to be legal, regarding size of the opening and the angle/height etc regarding a head sized object being able to roll over it rather than getting pushed by it.

Don't think, it's ever been legal to have any part of the engine protrude through a bonnet, but happy to be corrected

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #82
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Was thinking it would worthwhile to do a whole lot of mis reporting about street hoons to ACA just to keep their stories department busy for a while.
Also would of been great to see the XY's put over the pits and come out with no defects, but i guess they will next time as they will have to have the defective mods changed.
Old 26-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #83
Falconxf88

Happy Racist Hoon Day.
Falconxf88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #84
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
An older car can get away with more mods than a late model car.
Yes, I was wondering about the later model Commodore they showed getting wheeled in that had a large air cleaner looking thing through the bonnet...straight away that tells you that he's probably got a carbed engine under there...if that's what it was, let me know how the EPA guys treated you as there's no way that met even a passing glance at the emissions laws...but I'm guessing it had something to do with being bent over a workbench and reamed using Dencorub as a lubricant...

I'm still trying to work out just how dark the windows were on that dark blue Lancer the girls were driving...only 3% light transmission???
Old 26-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #85
TCK-098

Another ordinary report and the guy in the Gt didnt do himself favours with the air cleaner then having the pipe drop before the diff asking for attention.

But the simple rule is if you know its wrong why go though and do it anyway it just brings more bad attention for us car enthusists
Old 27-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #86
BobbyXCOUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
surely this borders on discrimination. they pull you over under the pretense of a breatho, then basically impound your car. ordinarily it wouldn't be an issue, but when they are consciously only pulling over cars that 'look' modified etc, rather than random road users, then to me its unfairly targeting certain people.

as it turns out, most of the cars had issues (bald tyres, door being tied shut on the inside, illegal tint etc) but thats not to say all these issues could be found on innocent looking cars. whats worse is the presenters and reporters sit/stand there looking all smug like they are doing the world a favour.

also, what it doesn't point out is how many cars they pulled over in total and what % got impounded. i'm guessing it was a fairly low % but lets not let too many facts (if any) get in the way.

I'm liking your point and makes me wonder how many drunk drivers or drivers affected by drugs were waved through because they were in a non-modified car.

Also if your cars exhaust note is 117dB, why is someone stupid enough to not get out of the way and get hit and ripped in half by the air filter.
BobbyXCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #87
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Yes, I was wondering about the later model Commodore they showed getting wheeled in that had a large air cleaner looking thing through the bonnet...straight away that tells you that he's probably got a carbed engine under there...if that's what it was, let me know how the EPA guys treated you as there's no way that met even a passing glance at the emissions laws...but I'm guessing it had something to do with being bent over a workbench and reamed using Dencorub as a lubricant...

I'm still trying to work out just how dark the windows were on that dark blue Lancer the girls were driving...only 3% light transmission???

So you obviously havent seen the carb style EFI manifolds? They make them and the throttle body just bolts on like a carb but its injected.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #88
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Bonnet emblems on Mercedes of the same vintage as an XY are not designed to snap off. Nor are those of the Jag, Rolls Royce or Bentley that were made of metal in the sixties and seventies. If you are going to get hit by a steel bumpered old car, the air cleaner will be the least of your worries.
Still does not compare to a bullbar with fishing rod holders and huge aerials.
This is very true , if a pedestrian got caught by my 1966 Jaguar 420G grill and went over the top the emblem would make a dreadful mess while smashing hundred of $ worth of trim :(
Lose lose both sides

Last edited by atec77; 27-01-2012 at 01:43 AM.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #89
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
So you obviously havent seen the carb style EFI manifolds? They make them and the throttle body just bolts on like a carb but its injected.
He said probably. i was going to say much the same till i reread his post. i've got a 4 barrel throttle body just so i can stick the air cleaner out of the bonnet myself, but now i might throw a shaker on instead. but i still fail to see the issue with the aircleaner, if you were to use the k&n extreme top(its not metal) and a threaded nylon rod to attach i can't ses an issue except its illegal. i really think there is more of a problem with a bullbar than a aircleaner.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #90
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Sometimes I really just love the American laws on car modifying.