Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #61
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

See how low the rear end of the falcon ute was in the mine segment! And how much fun did the little one have getting the *** end out with the full load. Would sure make working in a mine more fun if you used the ute
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #62
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

watched it now ,not bad just got to fix up the facts bucket a little .
getting raw info wrong would turn me off .
i think the blokes will grow on me they do have character
Old 06-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #63
dreadly
Banned

Freakin Heaps better!
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #64
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon
See how low the rear end of the falcon ute was in the mine segment! And how much fun did the little one have getting the *** end out with the full load. Would sure make working in a mine more fun if you used the ute
we got the little old 793's and they drift quite well .and ours do 58 :
Old 06-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #65
DaveTE
Back in black

A lot better than the first episode. Still think the Stig(OZ) should be called something with an Oz slant on it. Stigo or Stiggy.
DaveTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #66
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
we got the little old 793's and they drift quite well .and ours do 58 :
Noice
Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #67
antoni
FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontPom
Clarkson bought then sold a GT back in '06 I believe... seem to remember it being quite unreliable !
He got rid of it because the aftermarket car alarm that was fitted by Ford UK kept going off and his wife was getting sick of it. :ticking: At least that was his claim. They made a few hints as to the extremely poor fuel economy during the show though. He's now driving a Lambourghini Gallardo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Gear was much better this week. Still needs to grow into it's boots UK sized boots though.
antoni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #68
oooooooooo

The Ford v holden thing was utterly rediculous. Driving around sideways is real world driving? The segment was completely wasted with them frigging around. How about in gear acceleration tests. In the real world thats where these cars prove their worth, overtaking and so on. No lap times? WTF

This show has so far proven that they will sit on the fence. By not taking sides they don't loose half of their audience. ****weak.
oooooooooo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #69
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTE
A lot better than the first episode. Still think the Stig(OZ) should be called something with an Oz slant on it. Stigo or Stiggy.
Or Bundy!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #70
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was better than the first episode.
But they could have gone more in depth in the FPV v HSV.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #71
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
if you get really stuck Colville, I burnt a disc on my HD recorder....
Appreciate that Tex. If something doesn't turn up I'll let you know.

Thanks bud
Colville
Old 06-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #72
XlR8TED

Any of you guys see the original UK Top Gear episodes? Before they had James May, and instead had that fat bloke who smiled a lot, but didn't say anything? They were utter crap! It's amazing the show was kept on air...but look at it today.

I think we might just need to give these guys a bit more than a couple of episodes to get it right.
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #73
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Like someone said in the other thread. The UK top gear is a prime example that hosts can be replaced ;-)

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #74
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

I dont mind the aussie version but they really should have tried to be different from the UK team. They do lack the charisma of Jeremy and the boys though. The Holden vs Ford camparo was pretty poor, should have spent more time and maybe handed over to the stig afterwards. Learn how to boost a turbo off the line and it would have been a very different story. Aussie muscle? crate motor from the US perhaps...

It was definitely an improvement but they lack detail. trying to cram too much in to each episode. Next week back to high priced irrelevant cars...although I am looking forward to resurrecting a wreck
Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #75
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did u see the old man crossing the road thinking what a great idea, when he saw the SMART car hearse driving by. Might be a good thing for some seeing as the economic downturn has wasted most super funds.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #76
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRSex
Any of you guys see the original UK Top Gear episodes? Before they had James May, and instead had that fat bloke who smiled a lot, but didn't say anything? They were utter crap! It's amazing the show was kept on air...but look at it today.

I think we might just need to give these guys a bit more than a couple of episodes to get it right.
Ah but some of the members here are obviously experts and have experience in being hosts on a TV show as well! :alien2:

It's honestly not bad, no doubt the UK version is one of the best shows if not the best show on telly, but they worked up to what it is. I reckon over the course of the series they will get better
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #77
Mr. Whippy

The F6 vs R8 comparison was rushed and meaningless. No stats or facts about the cars, no timed laps or overall conclusion, just two lame tests (with the R8 jumping/F6 missing the start in the drag race) and some close up shots of them smoking up the tires. So basically a (two year old VE model) R8 Commodore is just as good as a (brand new FG model) F6?? You can just picture the producer saying "Well we cant afford to alienate half our audience" in the meeting to plan the episode.

I just cant ever imagining liking any of the presenters. Charlie reminds me of Glenn Wheatley and he generally shits me, Warren is awkward and that cartoon segment is horrible, and that Steve guy has the kind of over the top earnest manner that would be more suited to childrens television.

Sorry to be a knocker but I doubt I'll watch it again, I might pick it up later in the year or next year to see if the presenters have developed any charisma and the stories about the cars arent so lightweight.
Mr. Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #78
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

As expected by many of us it looks like it will keep getting better over time as the presenters work better together. The F6 vs R8 was nicely done really, as expected the comments about 'mechanical girp' on the F6 is also the tyres, both lack of width (rear) and tyre choice. They also need to spool up the F6.......still you can see the performance of the I6T motor when it starts to haul that R8 in....... Anyone see what brakes the F6 had (optional 6pot??) If the guy want's more immediacy from the falcon in terms of power delivery has he heard of the GT??? Worth mentioning in the segment i felt at least.

The comments about the falcon were a bit misleading RE sales.....hell commodore is down just as much year on year. Doesn't put the company in much of a positive light when you say things like 'they can't sell them', also was a bit wierd after plugging the FPV product so heavilly in the segment before, then totally ignore the impact poor sales of the base car would have..... Something along the lines of 'this is bad caus it could kill off cars like the F6'.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #79
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

They were as funny as a funeral. The Ford V Holden test was a joke. The audience looked bored shirtless. One episode was enough for this black duck.........
Old 06-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #80
whingey

How many Stigs are there in the world? He can't be in 2 places at the same time. The little guy with the beard tries too hard, he needs to take a valium before shooting. They were at Wakefield and it's not an easy track for the big rear wheel drive cars, still, could have done without the burnout session.
whingey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #81
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

The show improved from unbearable last week to crap this week. i am a huge Top Gear fan but, I won't watch this dribble again!!
Old 06-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #82
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Appreciate that Tex. If something doesn't turn up I'll let you know.

Thanks bud
Colville
Mate www.finalgear.com is the best place to get a copy.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #83
xr8ted

I think that a lot of the comments above are pretty harsh. I actually didnt mind this weeks show too much.

How many of us really want to know all the stats on a program like this? Honestly if you want the stats, go read a catalouge. I am sure that most of us car enthusiests know the stats of these cars anyway, so I dont really think this is a problem. Actually, I think people are silly for saying they want more facts. I would rather them spend time on the visually pleasing stuff.

I think that we need to give these guys a while to get sorted and feel comfortable. They have huge shoes to fill, and its almost an impossible task to expect the same chemistry that we see in the UK version in 2 weeks.

I am just wrapped that there is a car show where they test aussie cars, that is enough to make me watch every week.

On a negative, I was a little peeved at the tests done with the FPV/HSV. It could have been a bit more scientific. It might have been an idea to have someone wave a flag on the start of the drag or something...but I am being picky now.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #84
viper333

after watching this episode dont think i will be watching it next week, i know we cant compare it to the british version but the aussie version is like puting lipstick on Sarah Palin sorry sorry i mean lipstick on a pig..... why do i get these mixed up
viper333 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 12:26 AM   #85
Mr. Whippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ted
I think that a lot of the comments above are pretty harsh. I actually didnt mind this weeks show too much.

How many of us really want to know all the stats on a program like this? Honestly if you want the stats, go read a catalouge. I am sure that most of us car enthusiests know the stats of these cars anyway, so I dont really think this is a problem. Actually, I think people are silly for saying they want more facts. I would rather them spend time on the visually pleasing stuff.

I think that we need to give these guys a while to get sorted and feel comfortable. They have huge shoes to fill, and its almost an impossible task to expect the same chemistry that we see in the UK version in 2 weeks.

I am just wrapped that there is a car show where they test aussie cars, that is enough to make me watch every week.

On a negative, I was a little peeved at the tests done with the FPV/HSV. It could have been a bit more scientific. It might have been an idea to have someone wave a flag on the start of the drag or something...but I am being picky now.
So its silly to want more facts and stats in a car review, but you wanted the comparison to be more scientific?
Mr. Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #86
Bobman
Regulator

Well said xr8ted.

At least we have a friggin' Top Gear Australia.

How many other countries were lucky enough to be selected? I sincerely doubt that half of those who hate it could do any better.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 12:34 AM   #87
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whippy
The F6 vs R8 comparison was rushed and meaningless. No stats or facts about the cars, no timed laps or overall conclusion, just two lame tests (with the R8 jumping/F6 missing the start in the drag race) and some close up shots of them smoking up the tires. So basically a (two year old VE model) R8 Commodore is just as good as a (brand new FG model) F6?? You can just picture the producer saying "Well we cant afford to alienate half our audience" in the meeting to plan the episode.

I just cant ever imagining liking any of the presenters. Charlie reminds me of Glenn Wheatley and he generally shits me, Warren is awkward and that cartoon segment is horrible, and that Steve guy has the kind of over the top earnest manner that would be more suited to childrens television.

Sorry to be a knocker but I doubt I'll watch it again, I might pick it up later in the year or next year to see if the presenters have developed any charisma and the stories about the cars arent so lightweight.
ha, yeah I that blond idiot reminds me of Glenn Wheatley too, such an annoying bloke...the other two are pretty weak especially that screaming little runt. I loved the intro of the HSV engine as "pure aussie v8" haha...yes very Australian that v8 is....I'm not watching it again, not that anyone gives a flying what I do in my spare time.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 12:40 AM   #88
joblue
Starter Motor

I turn the crap off then went on to the SBS website to tell what I thought

I own a BF F6 and a Bf cobra and believe me the F6 smacks the gt of the mark. I have driven a new GE6 turbo and same thing they get off the line hard the so called test tonight was a farce and did nothing for either manufacture or the australian motor industry. The commentators are morons who apparently raced cars once apon a time ago in land far far away (What we they thinking)
Spare XC GXL 351, 5 speed T5, twin gas research matching numbers ( Luv The old Girl)

Buy Australian
joblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 12:44 AM   #89
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahaha heaps better this week?

About the same I thought? Or are you guys just getting over the fact it's not Top Gear UK?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:11 AM   #90
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

Have I missed the point? What was the point of putting a turbo 6 against the V8? Was it just to show that Turbo's are fast cars too?
I would have throught V8 vs. V8 would have been more logical.
But anyway.... :P