Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to quote "Almost 40,000 people a year die from the flu in the united states alone. Thats around 700 a week. Do we ever hear of that?

Yep, 2500 or so Aussies die from the good old ordinary flu per the Pharmacy Guild release today. Definately a media beat up IMO. I notice a recent spike in people filling scripts for the Fluvax this week, but I have to tell them it doesn't cover against the "swine flu".... And if/when the vaccine is developed, in all honesty, who of us are going to be going to get theirs? Influenza viruses are constantly mutating, and vaccines are developed to immunise against the most recent/most commonly encountered viruses at the time of vaccine development (usually 3 strains, eg a trivalent vaccine)... hence it's still possible to develop the flu after getting the vaccine. So for the small handful of confirmed deaths linked to this...

"Influenza-A type: OMG-WTF-eleventy-ten-lets-call-Today-Tonight-A-Current-Affair-we're all gonna die stockpile enough food for 2 weeks and wear masks aaaarrrrrghhhhhh!!! %*##"

....I can see a lot of hype and wasted resources regarding it, it will most likely hit our shores (the World Health Organisation says the threat is "Imminent") but there's not much we can do, and for the vast majority, it will manifest itself just like any other flu. The flu that people get any other year is a pain, with the aches, fever, sweats and chills, sick days etc.... and for the immunosuppressed, infants, elderly and compromised, it is a threat with serious potential complications, including death. People, just use your commonsense
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
MAV50L
Banned

Im actually worried about it. I called the World Health hotline for information and I think they are all dead.
All I got from their end of the line was a lot of CRACKLING.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
Im actually worried about it. I called the World Health hotline for information and I think they are all dead.
All I got from their end of the line was a lot of CRACKLING.
lol...

Had to laugh at the people on the news tonight raiding their local chemist for flu remedies and what not. I guess I'm just stubborn, but some of these people are absolute wood ducks when it comes to scaremongering.

Next week there will be some monkey flu and everyone will be going banana's
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Next week there will be some monkey flu and everyone will be going banana's

Yellow_Festiva, i'm already laughing!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
azaxr8

a outbreak of a "flu" happens every 2 years approximately.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

According to the wireless there are 312 cases in Mexico reported now, of those around a dozen have died.

I hear that there was a program on TV saying to stockpile 2 weeks worth of food and water??? In a month hopefully we can dig up this thread and all have a good laugh...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

i have never had a flu vaccination . avery year i get offered one for free at work sites . never have i accepted . i dont get the flu much at all , and the worst i've ever had is kind of fatigue for 3 days . on rare occasions .
many people take the vaccine , 2 weeks later everyones got the flu and off sick for 1 to 2 weeks . hahahaha .
on a more serious note . i have seen many friends and relatives end up very ill after flu vaccines . in some cases hospitalised . usually elderly or ill people though.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
mikestp
EF Ghia

I just got emailed this from uni:

Dear Student,

Recent media coverage has confirmed that human cases of Swine Influenza have been identified by the World Health Organisation in several countries. While no Australian cases have been confirmed, a number of Australians are currently being tested.

As a large organisation with many staff and students on campus and travelling overseas, ECU is monitoring the situation closely and has plans and procedures in place to deal with all possible eventualities.

It is important that all staff and students pay attention to official communications about the current situation. To this end, I refer you to information provided by the Australian Government that can be found at:

http://www.healthemergency.gov.au

There is no cause for alarm, however it is important for anyone who is feeling unwell and believes they may have come into contact with swine flu to see their doctor.

We will continue to monitor the situation and update the ECU community with any new information as it becomes available.

Professor Arshad Omari
Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)

Everyones getting really exited by what the media's making of this
mikestp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

CSIRO have developed an oinkment you rub on your hands..
If you ring them?? All you'll get is crackle..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Just got sent this. Latest victim of the swine flu.

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got this one theother day

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh the jokes to be had with swineflu!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
ch33z1l
Dawn

First Australian case has been reported by QLD Health.

link here

www.murrumbidgee.net.au

Look through the rotating news section for Influenza A (H1N1) – Swine Flu Update article.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
Captain Falcon
FALCON PAWWWNCH!!!

Correct me if im wrong but didnt those so called "health experts" say the same thing about the Sars virus and the "bird" flu, that it would cause a global epidemic?

I took it to a grain of salt since the day they first spoke about it.

There's an alternate book to "The boy who cried Wolf" its called "The pig who cried FLU!" yeah yeah poor joke i know, but the band wagon was calling!

Coz only hairdressers use blow dryers! :evil3:
Captain Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #15
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok, i'm starting to get "a little worried" (sort of) since there are now over 50 (65 i think) cases of swine flu in Australia, as well as over 30 in Victoria (33 i think). on sunday night i started to get "flu symptoms" which i usually don't get. i haven't gone to school for the past 3 days, i went to the doctors today. in the entrance they pinned a piece of paper to the wall stating that if you have flu like symptoms to tell the staff about it immediately. so we did. there were 30 people in the waiting room, which would've meant we a good 20 minutes waiting - minimum. not this time though... as soon as they heard that "come with me". i get taken into a separate room where i get told to put on a mask. 15 minutes later, i had the all clear. but far out, it was really full on. i've never been apart of anything like that before. people were really worried... this is definitely worse than a few squeals and oinks.... i reckon things are going to get alot worse before they get better... :( what do you guys think?

cheers, Anthony
Old 27-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity_avisGT
ok, i'm starting to get "a little worried" (sort of) since there are now over 50 (65 i think) cases of swine flu in Australia, as well as over 30 in Victoria (33 i think). on sunday night i started to get "flu symptoms" which i usually don't get. i haven't gone to school for the past 3 days, i went to the doctors today. in the entrance they pinned a piece of paper to the wall stating that if you have flu like symptoms to tell the staff about it immediately. so we did. there were 30 people in the waiting room, which would've meant we a good 20 minutes waiting - minimum. not this time though... as soon as they heard that "come with me". i get taken into a separate room where i get told to put on a mask. 15 minutes later, i had the all clear. but far out, it was really full on. i've never been apart of anything like that before. people were really worried... this is definitely worse than a few squeals and oinks.... i reckon things are going to get alot worse before they get better... :( what do you guys think?

cheers, Anthony
Normal flu kills way more people a year than this "Swine flu" has. Just another media beat up, remember it was SARS which was going to kill us all, then Bird Flu and now Swine Flu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #17
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Normal flu kills way more people a year than this "Swine flu" has. Just another media beat up, remember it was SARS which was going to kill us all, then Bird Flu and now Swine Flu.
is normal flu as contagious as swine flu?
Old 28-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #18
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Difference is, bird flu was only transmitted by direct contact with infected poultry.

Swine flu is transmitted via close contact with infected persons, and has a potential to become a serious world health problem.

I work for the Murrumbidgee General Practice Network and get daily updates. If there is any cause for alarm, ill pass on the info.

Agreed however, that the media is playing on peoples fears. Just waiting for them to bring up the Nostradamus 2012 theory alongside it.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #19
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
Difference is, bird flu was only transmitted by direct contact with infected poultry.

Swine flu is transmitted via close contact with infected persons, and has a potential to become a serious world health problem.

I work for the Murrumbidgee General Practice Network and get daily updates. If there is any cause for alarm, ill pass on the info.

Agreed however, that the media is playing on peoples fears. Just waiting for them to bring up the Nostradamus 2012 theory alongside it.
What was his theory for 2012 ????
Old 27-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #20
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I took a consumer to Calvary hospital yesterday for x-rays ( I work in Mental Health as , i guess, a Social Worker) .... there was about 40-50 people out the front of one of the admission areas... sign said "Swine Flu Testing" ... we took a long walk around them :P

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...iz/dm01236.jpg <--- Scary...scary stuff....
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #21
go_ford

I was on the pacific dawn cruise that got of on monday that had the 2 children on board that had the flu, and we are now stuck in home quarintine for 7 days. we cant do nothing..they call us every day to see how we are feeling because I may have the flu. I have all the symptoms but havnt been tested. my sister and cousin have been but havnt got there tests results back yet. getting so bored being inside for so long and its only day 3....and if it turns out we dont have the flu, we still have to stay home till monday..
Old 27-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #22
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_ford
I was on the pacific dawn cruise that got of on monday that had the 2 children on board that had the flu, and we are now stuck in home quarintine for 7 days. we cant do nothing..they call us every day to see how we are feeling because I may have the flu. I have all the symptoms but havnt been tested. my sister and cousin have been but havnt got there tests results back yet. getting so bored being inside for so long and its only day 3....and if it turns out we dont have the flu, we still have to stay home till monday..

Should be people posted at your door, set to shoot on site if you decide to leave early :P

I only say that coz i work in the Health System... lol
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #23
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_ford
I was on the pacific dawn cruise that got of on monday..
Did you have an inside, outside or balcony?
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #24
go_ford

balcony..
Old 28-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #25
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

how deadly is this swine flu anyway? Watching the news last night and they where saying its no worse than a normal every day cold / flu. Not sure if thats just the strain thats in Australia or what not, but they did say it can be worse on different people, ie children and pregnant women.
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #26
go_ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97
how deadly is this swine flu anyway? Watching the news last night and they where saying its no worse than a normal every day cold / flu. Not sure if thats just the strain thats in Australia or what not, but they did say it can be worse on different people, ie children and pregnant women.
its not that severe here in australia but people have died over seas..
Old 28-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #27
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
I got the same impression from the news, but I think its more to do with the fact that its a whole new strain of the flu that no one has really been exposed to, so your body will have no immunity to it.
Thats why you have a flu shot, to build up an immunity should you ever get the flu. Swine flu is probably different so your body will be hit a bit harder.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #28
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
In the case where swine flu was deadly, I think it was a contributing factor as the people infected had poor health at the time of contracting the virus. I also believe they never sought medical attention till it was too late.
Old 31-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #29
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

As some here will already know I have a new job, now the Operations Manager for a company that provides remote and international health facilities, services and personnel.

As part of my job I have had to review the data from reputable sources such as CDC, WHO and others (no media sources as they are not reliable) to do a risk assessment and come up with a management plan.

I did this assessment on the 27th and found some interesting facts.

1) Worldwide there had beem 12700 cases, including Australia (16 from Memory).
2) Of all those cases there were 92 deaths, which means the mortality rate is very low and no more than any other flu strain.
3) Of those 92 deaths, 80 were in mexico, the next highest was in the US, Canada had over 700 cases without any deaths.
4) The bulk of deaths were from resulting pneumonia in people of poor health and nil treatment until the pneumonia was well established.
5) The vast majority (over 90%), occured in countries that have a lot of high density population and poor public access to government funded health care (mainly the uS and Mexico). Those that have good access to government funded health care (such as Canada) have had no deaths.
6) WHO have stated they expect this strain of flu to become considered a "normal seasonal" flu strain.
7) The CDC are no longer calling there management plans "swine flu" plans, they are now terming them as "novel flu" management plans.

The figures that are current as of now from WHO state there have been 15510 cases confirmed world wide, of which there have been 99 deaths which gives a mortality rate of 0.63%. If you want to see the breakdown of the figures, they can be found here

So, from my research my opinion is it is media hype, it is not going to kill us all and we can continue to live as we always have. Normal clean living and good personal hygiene along with good cough/sneeze etiquette will prevent cross contamination.

Yes we do have stocks of Tamiflu and yes we are issuing instructions to our personnel but that is just normal for the type of operations that we conduct. At the end of the day, if you have flu like symptoms, take precautions to not spread it to others (as you should anyway) and get assessment through your GP or medical centre, there are treatments available.

We will just have to wait and see what the next strain of flu that the media give a funky name to is.
Old 31-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT

Yes we do have stocks of Tamiflu and yes we are issuing instructions to our personnel but that is just normal for the type of operations that we conduct.
When I moved to Singapore a year ago I was given Tamiflu to take with me. This was normal practice with them in case we didn't have access to it. So you would take it as normal practice with orgs that travel to locations that may have their employees encounter poor health standards.