Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I have no idea why people have turned on Geelong so quickly...

We were successful one year, and suddenly we're public enemy number 1.

Geelong displays less overt on-field arrogance than Hawthorn, and plays a good brand of football (thought Hawthorn does too).

Hawthorn also has 9 premierships...Geelong has 7.

Hawthorn won four flags in the 80s, and played in seven consecutive Grand Finals (83-89).

I cannot understand why people dislike Geelong.
Don't worry mate, she hates Geelong just because she wants to annoy me!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, Hawthorn to play Geelong in the GF. Can't see the Saints or the Dogs coming close.
However we will see a better spectacle than last year's embarrassment by Port Adelaide. I'm a Port member & I am still scarred!
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focussed
Yes, Hawthorn to play Geelong in the GF. Can't see the Saints or the Dogs coming close.
at least we did not go out in straight sets - based on us against sydney, i would have thought we could win - based on our form since the carlton game, i thought no hope. at least we showed some character and may come out of the season with something. it seemed it was going to be a wasted and heartbreaking season from round 17 to friday night

in all seriousness we could not expect to beat geelong, but we would have no chance at all if we were not playing them so hopefully. maybe this is our chance, because i have seen 3 losing preliminary finals and i am working friday night so maybe they can make me delirious while i am frustrated at not being there to belt out the song

i can dream can't i - no matter what i still love them and always will. i just wish they would love me for one year
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
at least we did not go out in straight sets - based on us against sydney, i would have thought we could win - based on our form since the carlton game, i thought no hope. at least we showed some character and may come out of the season with something. it seemed it was going to be a wasted and heartbreaking season from round 17 to friday night

in all seriousness we could not expect to beat geelong, but we would have no chance at all if we were not playing them so hopefully. maybe this is our chance, because i have seen 3 losing preliminary finals and i am working friday night so maybe they can make me delirious while i am frustrated at not being there to belt out the song

i can dream can't i - no matter what i still love them and always will. i just wish they would love me for one year

Stranger things have happened!...
In our local comp yesterday (EDFL) the Steve (super) McPherson coached Greenvale got a 33 point belting by the Mick McGuane coached under-dogs Keilor in the A grade Grand Final!... Greenvale's last loss was the 2006 preliminary final.. Over TWO YEARS unbeaten!!
And guess what colours Keilor wear?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Yeah, I live in Geelong and would personally love to see the Bulldogs win over Geelong so they don't even get in the final. I'd have a good laugh and then pick on a few people at work.hehehe! Can't really see it happening though. but can always hope.

Bulldogs and Saints granny is what I'd love to see!

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

All i can say is, WOO! Collingwood are out!!! :
Old 15-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
All i can say is, WOO! Collingwood are out!!! :

Me prayers have been answered

: : :
Old 15-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

owww the humanity DOGS AND SAINT'S IN THIS YEARS GRAND FINAL WHAT A TURN UP THAT WOULD BE
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob 351
owww the humanity DOGS AND SAINT'S IN THIS YEARS GRAND FINAL WHAT A TURN UP THAT WOULD BE
There's be more seagulls than supporters...
Old 19-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

GO ... DOGGIES : :baby bott
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #11
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

If I hear one more joke about Cats hating Dogs I will vomit! Good luck to the winner. I no longer care as Sydney is no longer in..
Old 19-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #12
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob 351
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It will be a Doggies vs St Kilda Grand Final.:

Bwhahahahahaha..............:

What's the chances huh! Good odd's at the moment.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #13
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Bah. Darn cats. Was going for the doggies tonight even though I dont support them. Looking forward to when the cats go back down the ladder.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
Bah. Darn cats. Was going for the doggies tonight even though I dont support them. Looking forward to when the cats go back down the ladder.
Same here! I want all the people that jumped on the Geelong Bandwagon to all turn around and say "I don't really care, i don't really follow the footy!" hehehe!

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #15
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSSXR8
Same here! I want all the people that jumped on the Geelong Bandwagon to all turn around and say "I don't really care, i don't really follow the footy!" hehehe!
I've been a Cats supporter since I started Primary School, wrote 90% of the Geelong Football Club history on Wikipedia, have Mark Bairstow, Paul Couch, and 50 million Gary Ablett posters on my wall still to this day, and have been through thick and thin, and I will say that the number of new guernseys being sold to "new" supporters is infuriating, because there people were nowhere to be seen years ago when the club was playing like poo.

But why punish those who are loyal?

I met a "Geelong supporter" earlier this year. He said, "I go for Geelong since they won the flag last year."

I told them to F-Off, because Geelong doesn't want people like that.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #16
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
I've been a Cats supporter since I started Primary School, wrote 90% of the Geelong Football Club history on Wikipedia, have Mark Bairstow, Paul Couch, and 50 million Gary Ablett posters on my wall still to this day, and have been through thick and thin, and I will say that the number of new guernseys being sold to "new" supporters is infuriating, because there people were nowhere to be seen years ago when the club was playing like poo.

I met a "Geelong supporter" earlier this year. He said, "I go for Geelong since they won the flag last year."

Totally agree man. I've lived through all the pain of 4 grand final losses and up until about round 5 last year, it could have been another 44 years that had passed and I wouldn't have been surprised if the cats still hadn't won a flag. But that wouldn't have changed the passion and love I have for that club.

In a couple of years Geelong will be on the slide a bit, some new teams will emerge, and the so called "parity" of the draft system will start kicking in just like the AFL have been trying to make happen since the inception of the draft system. When those days come, I will be there flying my colours and cheering my chants - albeit with a little less pain and emptyness. These are the golden years my friend, lets just enjoy them while they last....
Old 20-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #17
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

On my first day at school I was wearing the blue and white hoops.

I've been to 4 losing GF's and I've been a member for 20 + years. These are indeed golden years.

Go Cats...................Back to back !!! :
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #18
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Well it's the Catters in the GF. I wonder who'll they'll play? Even considering St. Kildas good record against the Hawks, I can't see the saints getting up over the Hawks. I think if the Saints get in the GF it could get pretty ugly for them. The only way it's going to be a decent spectacle is if the Hawks get through and that's what I'm predicting to happen.
Old 20-09-2008, 08:00 AM   #19
prydey
Rob

rnd 17 when the hawks played the cats, hodge had an absolute shocker and almost lost the game off his own boot. he shanked that many kicks that night it wasn't funny. he's not the sort of guy to play too many of those sort of games so hopefully if they get the chance again he, along with his team will grab it with both hands.

i too don't see st kilda offering much resistance to geelong if they make the GF. Port fans would be hoping whoever makes it gets spanked just to erase last years memory.

st kilda don't have much of an option for buddy but then again hawks could struggle to match up on reiwolt and co.

should be a good match. if milne kicks 3 or more they win apparently.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
rnd 17 when the hawks played the cats, hodge had an absolute shocker and almost lost the game off his own boot. he shanked that many kicks that night it wasn't funny. he's not the sort of guy to play too many of those sort of games so hopefully if they get the chance again he, along with his team will grab it with both hands.
Geelong had a number of their best missing from that game, Ablett and Ling I think, and they still won, so I don't see the Hawks beating them, not unless Buddy kicks 10+ which is unlikely. Stop Buddy from kicking any more than 5 and the Hawks can't win, they rely on him too much.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Geelong had a number of their best missing from that game, Ablett and Ling I think, and they still won, so I don't see the Hawks beating them, not unless Buddy kicks 10+ which is unlikely. Stop Buddy from kicking any more than 5 and the Hawks can't win, they rely on him too much.

the depth of the geelong side is such that the players that step up when they have a few regulars out do the job just as well. the commentators made the point during the game that even though they had 6 of the regulars out including ling and ablett, they couldn't see it making a huge difference with them back in.

never say never. no one would've expected the doggies to put up the kind of fight they did last night and had they kicked straight and had a few calls go their way it could so easily have been a different story.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
the depth of the geelong side is such that the players that step up when they have a few regulars out do the job just as well. the commentators made the point during the game that even though they had 6 of the regulars out including ling and ablett, they couldn't see it making a huge difference with them back in.
So having some of your best players out means the team is still just as good. Ok then. Either way the Hawks will be mince meat. They soley rely on one player to win.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #23
FordSteve
Starter Motor

Not really an AFL fan, but do like to watch a good hyped up contest

Thought Geelong were awesome last night. The dogs stuck it to them for the good part of the game or so, but Geelong prevailed quite easily in the end. Mark of a true champion side.

Geelong will be very hard to beat in the GF
FordSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #24
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i reckon the hawks would be a litlte nervous.
saints have won 6 out the last 7 games against the hawks and also won the last time they played earlier on this season. i think captain cry baby (riewoldt) kicked 6 in that game.
the hawks defence i believe is their weakest link due to the size of captain cry baby & koshitske. combined with croad having an injury (if he plays), makes me think the saints might be a chance.
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #25
FordSteve
Starter Motor

I dont think the club minds bandwagoners jumping onboard,

Afterall thats just one of the bonuses of being successfull (extra $$, through merchandise the gate etc....)
FordSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #26
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordSteve
I dont think the club minds bandwagoners jumping onboard,

Afterall thats just one of the bonuses of being successfull (extra $$, through merchandise the gate etc....)
I will say that the clubs don't mind...Collingwood has done exceptionally well since experiencing on-field success....they came out of the woodwork like termites....

Richmond had about 3 supporters turning up to their matches in the early 90s (Save Our Skins) and when the club started to win matches in 1994, the club came alive again (and moreso in 1995).

But I'm a supporter, and I'm part of a collective whole. The behaviour of others affects how I am viewed, and there are two ways to insult me...

Call me a poof (no, I'm not homophobic), or call me a bandwagon Cats supporter...

We all have a capacity to be aresholes, retards, morons and pure-blood pricks (take it from me), but loyalty is a thing that takes real character, especially when your team is down, and there are many "diehard supporters" who disappear when that happens.

Hawthorn is a real chance next week. Don't kid yourselves.
If both teams play at their best, Geelong will win by no more than 5 goals.
BUT chances are that won't happen. Geelong may play well below their best, and Hawthorn well below to varying degrees...

At least we got the Grand Final we want...

It shows the current system finals system works, as the past two years has been the best two teams play off in the Grand Final, even if Port were a weak second last year.

Best wishes to both teams.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #27
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I will say that the clubs don't mind...Collingwood has done exceptionally well since experiencing on-field success....they came out of the woodwork like termites....

Aaaand im going to have to pull you up there.

Even when the pies are losing, they still pull a crowd.....Can't really say that of too many other teams(Carlton, Essendon aside...to a lesser extent).

For a Cats fan to accuse Pies fans of Bandwagon-isim is goddamn hilarious... We may have no teeth, but we stick by our team.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #28
Thornie
Off smelting

woah looking like it's gonna be a clash of late 80's early 90's with hawks and geelong.Sad to say but geelong i think are gonna kick the old hawks butt.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #29
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

Goo Geeeeeeeeeelonggggggggggggggggg
outback_chick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #30
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

although i hated them last night - up the pussies
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post