Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-06-2005, 09:33 PM   #61
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Physco Chicken wrote "Commodore driving lights. Could you possilby make them any brighter? How the hell they pass ADRs I don't know".

IF your talking about the clear lights below the bumper of the Commodore SS series from say VT-VX model range, these are fog lights. Not good ones, but they are fogs!

And no, they are not European Code and would not be allowed on as standard fitment to any EU (or ECE world) jurisdiction vehicle. THANKFULLY they have been replaced with compliant lamps on the current model, complaints of glare should reduce.

347 Stoker: "Mine is the Fools that just refuse to stay in the left lane on the freeway here in Brissy".

The following text has again been submitted for your learner driver manual "Your Keys to Driving in QLD".

"Do not drive in the right lane unless overtaking, avoiding an obstruction
or travelling in congested traffic. On lengths with three or more lanes,
use the left lane, merge to the middle lanes as required to pass slower
traffic. Move back to the left lane once you have passed the slower
traffic, without cutting in".

That text is European infant stuff, it is shown in the NSW Road Users Handbook (past 7 years), it was refused by QLD Transport last year who continue to rely on the simplistic 'keep left'. Such lane discipline-behaviour really needs to be spelt out. Keeping middle is **** poor driving, reduces road efficiency, but is 'comfortable' for the ignorant and dumb.

It might be accepted this year, but I doubt it, too much sun...

Blue Raven - Take this link, Pdf 1.5mb: http://www.transport.act.gov.au/pdfs/foglights.pdf
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 29-06-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 09:50 PM   #62
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
That would be good. I am looking forward to racing you again. I still don't have The EDIT yet and I don't think I will have it for some time yet either. But as it is the racing is close. And it the most fun I have had with my clothes on.

How the carnage on the roads during the big wet. I hope it's not to bad
yeah, wouldn't mind dusting you off again :

Been pretty busy, wet weather brings out all the morons!
Old 29-06-2005, 10:33 PM   #63
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
Thought of another one! People that pull out in front of you and then sit 20km below the speed limit, just happened to me.
What about the ****ers that overtake you & then slow down to a speed lower than what you were doing before they overtook. Why do they overtake?
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 10:34 PM   #64
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I know of a new mod for them, missile launcher!
Old 29-06-2005, 10:44 PM   #65
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
I know of a new mod for them, missile launcher!
That could go where the spot lights are. out:

Another; Truck drivers that think they are in a race, and trucks that spew out black smoke. Hat that s**t.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 11:24 PM   #66
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Physco Chicken wrote "Commodore driving lights. Could you possilby make them any brighter? How the hell they pass ADRs I don't know".

IF your talking about the clear lights below the bumper of the Commodore SS series from say VT-VX model range, these are fog lights. Not good ones, but they are fogs!
I'd have a guess and say perhaps 5% of Melbourne drivers realise they are fog lights and not driving lights. The last few mornings have been the first time I've used the fog lights on the work cars.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 11:34 PM   #67
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
One word and that is "WAITING". I don't have much patience. I want my car back ASAP!
Amen. know what you mean!
Old 29-06-2005, 11:39 PM   #68
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Sorry, was refering to V6 hero dunnydores.
As for a SV6 beating an XR8 with even drivers ( keep it real, I could put marcos ambrose in a mazda 3 and he would whip most SS's + XR8's on a circuit) there is no way it is even close. I drive SV6's at work and own an XR8 and I can tell you the SV6 is nice but are not that quick, come to think of it, it would have to be a really crappy driver in the XR8. IMO the new V6 is a dog, now torque down low and the old one felt like it had more punch (don't let the figures fool you 190kw, yeah right!)
Yep, driven one of those new fangled Alloytechs... Slow and gutless is the best description....
Old 29-06-2005, 11:45 PM   #69
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really hate it when a car wants to overtake you and is straining the outta their car to even keep up with you. There has been plenty of times when im cruising in 5th without modifying my driving style where i have to slow down at the end of the overtaking lane to let some dumbass pass me. Then slow me down for the rest of the journey under the speed limit.

Also another thing is when large family cars which are stock will overtake me on the straights but when we get to the twisty stuff slow me down and therefore was no point in ever passing me in the first place.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 11:54 PM   #70
AdzT3-146
own the road

Large 4WD cars e.g Patrol, Pajero that try and boss you around on the around cos your car isnt 10 feet off the ground.
perfect example the other day at ringwood autobarn, this bloke in this patrol refused to give me room in the carpark and i had to reverse all the way back out on to the road just to let him out of the carpark.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 11:59 PM   #71
LUXO_8
windsor user

i would have just sat there blocking him.....

realised another one today when i was at the tip.
i wish people that tow trailers would learn HOW TO REVERSE THEM!!!
i had to yell at this guy about 5 times to stop and go forward cos he 1, almost jacknifed, 2, almost hit the ute, 3, almost hit the railing on the other side......i then moved my ute so he could get into the park beside

annoying! :
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 12:01 AM   #72
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really dont see why people have the need to drive 4WDs round town anyways. Me thinks they are used for intimadation and "safety" more than anything. Sure you might be an off roader or tow a boat but there is no need in the city.
Old 30-06-2005, 12:07 AM   #73
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I really dont see why people have the need to drive 4WDs round town anyways. Me thinks they are used for intimadation and "safety" more than anything. Sure you might be an off roader or tow a boat but there is no need in the city.
Despit the fact that studies show you are more likely to be injured in a 4wd
Old 30-06-2005, 12:16 AM   #74
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really hate it when a 4WD will sit on your *** while your doin the speed limit. If anyone has ever seen a rear ender at a set of traffic lights caused by a 4WD you know what i mean. Its really intimadating. Ive got a TX5 and could only imagine what a 4WD would do to it if it hit me. Ive seen a new corolla completely smashed at the lights and it was real bad.
Old 30-06-2005, 12:20 AM   #75
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
I'd have a guess and say perhaps 5% of Melbourne drivers realise they are fog lights and not driving lights. The last few mornings have been the first time I've used the fog lights on the work cars.
I know and understand your feeling here, but those that know do persevere with the right advice. The problem with VIC has the absence of a state regulation directly prohibiting the use of front fog lights, period, in clear conditions.

WA, NSW, and now QLD from memory have such a regulation.

A national prohibition implemented via the ARR process along the lines of Rule 217 (rear fog) would go some way to aid enforcement and education then follows through that enforcement and educational material such as the driver manual.

If you ever find your self in very bad fog, switch off the low beam! The hope is you never have to use them!
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #76
DUMTEF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i hate people in commodores (and other cars) but mainly p plate commodores that tailgate me when im on the speed limit,

and also cars with a blown headlight driving towards you on the highway.
DUMTEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 12:40 AM   #77
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even if people replaced their headlight globes with the same wattage theyd notice the difference. You dont have to go higher wattage. My Xenon ones are the same wattage as my halogen ones and they are so much better without increasing the wattage.
Old 30-06-2005, 10:34 AM   #78
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
I know and understand your feeling here, but those that know do persevere with the right advice. The problem with VIC has the absence of a state regulation directly prohibiting the use of front fog lights, period, in clear conditions.

WA, NSW, and now QLD from memory have such a regulation.

A national prohibition implemented via the ARR process along the lines of Rule 217 (rear fog) would go some way to aid enforcement and education then follows through that enforcement and educational material such as the driver manual.

If you ever find your self in very bad fog, switch off the low beam! The hope is you never have to use them!
Qld does not, only covers rear fog lights.
Old 30-06-2005, 10:54 AM   #79
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Got some more...

- People who can't f*ckin merge properly. I had an Astra in front of me yesterday doing 50km/h (Well, that's what I was doing in order not to ram it up its backside) in a 100 zone merging lane. Ridiculous.
- 4WD lights. Because the ute has been lowered, when they travel right behind me, I cop the full glory of low beam lights right in my rear vision mirror.
- Green means go. I don't know how many times I've sat at lights that are green and the person in front of me doesn't move an inch.
- Potholes. The government is meant to fix up the f*ckin roads. I hit a few potholes this morning, cause the road is washing away because of all the friggin rain.

I'll get more, trust me.
Old 30-06-2005, 11:22 AM   #80
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

- the aggresive style of driving in Melbourne :
- people who pass me on a hwy and than slow me down... i've always got cruise control on, so they are just being tools.
- 4WD's not used for 4WDing to some extent. Don't care if it's a soft-roader or a lift kitted Hilux... if it doesn't spend time on the beaten track you shouldn't be driving it.
- temporary australians AKA bike riders with a death wish.
- people who talk cars but don't know squat.. eg. "Nice, I love the XC GT's!" :yeees:
- Truck drivers that tail gate :
- People that think it's "okay" to drink & drive :
- ridiculous size exhausts on ANY car. (yes, 4 cylinder cars can have performance exhausts, but they don't need 4" diameters FFS)

I'm sure there's more, but that will do for now......
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #81
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

people with bright lights - just high beam them they soon get the point.

merging idiots that try and get infront - don't let them, if they hit your car its their fault anyway, and in most cases who deliberatly going to hit someone cuz they wouldn't let them get infront!

people that get infront of you only to slow down, if at night just leave your highbeams on, during the day hold the old 1 finger sulute up every time they look back!

or you could just put up with it, build a bridge, but then again im a person who won't take from complete idiots!

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #82
XRO6
On the hunt for grunt

Angry My biggest car hate.

Drivers that drive with their bright red rear fog lamp on. It is extremely dangerous to drivers behind and very distracting. They were introduced in Europe to help eliminate rear end collissions in extremely bad weather conditions. They should all be smashed to pulp.
Also, and i know that this will upset some people, but drivers who drive with 4 lights on at the front. You all know the one's that I am talking about. 2 head lights and 2 fog lights in the lower bumper. You either have very bad vision and cannot see at night, thus needing a sight test, or you just have no regard to other road users. They are very annoying and do not serve any useful purpose other than to say, "look at me", and to annoy other drivers. Getting blinded by on coming cars and having your rear vision filled with light, thus leaving the innocent driver temporarily blinded. Now i await all of the "hate mail" But has any one else had this encounter or is it all in my imagination?!
Old 30-06-2005, 01:56 PM   #83
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRO6
Now i await all of the "hate mail" But has any one else had this encounter or is it all in my imagination?!
nar man your right, its bloody stupid how they do that, and it doesn't help comming mid way around a bend only to have some blind tool think its all good to blind you. anyway i get my revenge by highbeamin them so it generally doesn't bother me

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 02:14 PM   #84
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well well, i have a few on here that would consider me a pet hate. i own a hyundai excel and i have a 4x4 that hardly ever goes off road. bite me :evil_laug

when driving on country roads, probably my biggest pet hate is someone approaching a crest on high beam but not dimming until they get over the crest.
pet hates in city driving is all of it :
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 04:15 PM   #85
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember one time i was driving at night and this guys light were so bright they could light up a dark street and i mean that seriously. They were the brightest lights ive ever seen short off big *** search lights. I usually have to use the flicky thingy on the revision mirror to dim the lights from behind. I also hate people who dont turn their lights on in bad weather or even when its night time. Last week i was driving to work and a silver car was driving towards me. It was so bad weather i didnt even see the car until he was very close to me. If he had of had his/hers lights on in would of eliminated that problem.
Old 30-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #86
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I also hate people who dont turn their lights on in bad weather or even when its night time. Last week i was driving to work and a silver car was driving towards me. It was so bad weather i didnt even see the car until he was very close to me. If he had of had his/hers lights on in would of eliminated that problem.
yep, add that one for me also. One time a silver camry was driving in heavy fog with abosolutely no lights on.... i was at an intersection turning on to a 100km/h road so I made a BIG effort to be sure no-one was coming than pulled out... in the time it took me to get up around the 2-> gear change this bloody silver camry is beeping it's horn flat out at me, with NO LIGHTS ON. Bloody Tool ing_sm
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #87
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

i hate people that dont put there freaking lights on in bad weather ,eg,fog really heavy rain and so on ,it really ****es me off,
also 4wd i cant stand them ,
also when you are at a main intersection with no lights or roundabout people that want to turn left and pull out so far that people turning right cant see past them to see if anyone is coming or not
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 04:36 PM   #88
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got 90/130's in a landcruiser, and i've never ONCE been flashed. It's all about the alignment...
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 05:44 PM   #89
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath_48
I've got 90/130's in a landcruiser, and i've never ONCE been flashed. It's all about the alignment...
Believe they are against ADR's, might be wrong but then half our cars are against ADR's somewhere. You are right, it is about alignment and it is good to see yours are right. The ones that aren't are annoying and dangerous.
Old 30-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #90
bazzalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
- the aggresive style of driving in Melbourne :
- people who pass me on a hwy and than slow me down... i've always got cruise control on, so they are just being tools.
- 4WD's not used for 4WDing to some extent. Don't care if it's a soft-roader or a lift kitted Hilux... if it doesn't spend time on the beaten track you shouldn't be driving it.
- temporary australians AKA bike riders with a death wish.
- people who talk cars but don't know squat.. eg. "Nice, I love the XC GT's!" :yeees:
- Truck drivers that tail gate :
- People that think it's "okay" to drink & drive :
- ridiculous size exhausts on ANY car. (yes, 4 cylinder cars can have performance exhausts, but they don't need 4" diameters FFS)

I'm sure there's more, but that will do for now......
i hate people that are intolerant of other road users, i have driven since i was 18, and ridden since i was 19, ive had 5 accidents on my bike, only one was my fault. the reason ive had so many accidents, is because people dont care till some one dies. i agree that there are idiots out there riding bikes, but not many, and yes they do give the rest of us a bad name, but i personally believe that if everyone had to go through the normal day-to-day riding conditions of a capital city, the driving would be much better.
that said, i hate gino's with their seats wound right back, how do they drive????????
bazzalong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post