Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #61
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: Aged discrmintaion against older drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
That is rather scary. Do they realise or even care that should they have a woopsy and cause damage or even death that they will be uninsured and possibly face a jail term?
yes they do!
yet driving is a right, this is why i'd like to see manditory doctor cert for licence's
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #62
Kevaclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
yes they do!
yet driving is a right, this is why i'd like to see manditory doctor cert for licence's

As far as I am aware the Dr must also notify the TPT Dept of a person with such a medical history, same goes for Diabetics
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #63
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevaclone
As far as I am aware the Dr must also notify the TPT Dept of a person with such a medical history, same goes for Diabetics
only if you put a tick in "do you suffer from epilepsy" on the form, otherwise they wont check.
Old 24-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #64
Kevaclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6
Well, in theory, it would be nice to have all "Old Coost" do a medical every year. But, knowing that the medical system is now booked out with both genuine sick people and hypochondriacs, when do we peopose to fit in these medicals. Just a thought.

I'm sure some enterprising Drs would set up a drivers medical clinic
but I doubt that the local GP office would be run off their feet doing them
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #65
burnz
VFII SS UTE

post edited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevaclone
There was a kufuffle a few years ago around here when all the oldies were "Fed Up With Hoons" and lobbied until we got a local resident Police Beat Officer, sure Hooning slowed up in the town, then of course once that workload eased the Copper started to focus on other things, like the large number of old cootes driving home from the bowls club pi$$ed as parrots, after he nailed almost all the members there was a huge outcry and the lobbying started to have the local Police Beat closed down.
have to laught it this, what goes around comes around...ha ha
Old 24-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #66
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
only if you put a tick in "do you suffer from epilepsy" on the form, otherwise they wont check.

If an epiletic suffers a seizure, resulting in hospitalisation, the hospital are at liberty to disclose this information to the dept of transport and then the dept of transport acts on it.

Not sure how it works when it comes to the GP though.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 24-06-2012 at 06:55 PM.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #67
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://casr.adelaide.edu.au/casrpubfile/126/CASR015.pdf

An interesting article.
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #68
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In 2003 there was 13Million licenced drivers in Aus. If we needed a medical every 12 months and that took 20mins, thats 4,333,333 hours of medical time pa. An average worker is good for a max of 1500 hrs a year so thats 3000 new medical practitioners. I guess they make at least 200k a year so thats $600mil, plus their reception people, plus their 6 years of training, plus the system to run this scheme and the public servants needed. So I'm guessing at least $1bil a year. Unfortunately we wouldn't have the resources to train 3000 school leavers over the next six years, we would need to build a few extra unis first and then train teachers etc etc
That 20mins per person would become at least an hour of most people eg travel time, waiting ect so thats 9000 man years lost each year just to attend. So added to the new doctors (not counting all the others also involved) thats at least 12,000 man equivelants lost each year.
Old 27-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #69
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The government would go to the end of the world and back In Regards to speed cameras even if it saves just one life. So why can't they do all the above to save lives.
Maybe not yearly medicals but every few years would be good
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #70
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reaction would be as follows:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Government
Ben, is there money in that idea? If not, we're not interested
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #71
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

54Ghia, threads like this have no place for actual thought-out fact. Posts are entirely there for newspaper journalism type statements.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #72
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
The reaction would be as follows:
Read 54Ghia's post above, and also a previous post of mine. Think about it for a moment. the health system is overloaded now, with insufficient doctors to get the job done. Now, you want to load them up with more work by doing more medicals. That means more doctors required, more receptionists, more buildings, increased medicare claims etc, etc. At the end of the day, we all wil pay by way of increased taxes.
Old 27-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #73
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Ghia
so thats 3000 new medical practitioners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6
Think about it for a moment. the health system is overloaded now, with insufficient doctors to get the job done. Now, you want to load them up with more work by doing more medicals. That means more doctors required, more receptionists, more buildings, increased medicare claims etc, etc. At the end of the day, we all wil pay by way of increased taxes.
Except... the health system is not involved in a lot of medicals, licence or otherwise.

A huge number of work related medicals are done by Nurses, Nurses aids (or whatever they call them these days) or trained workers.

My medical last year, for my B-Double licence, was done by Nurse (of sorts) who couldn't work the blood pressure computer thing properly.

In all Capital cities there are a lot of 'Medical centres' who do nothing but medicals for employers.
Old 27-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #74
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Except... the health system is not involved in a lot of medicals, licence or otherwise.

A huge number of work related medicals are done by Nurses, Nurses aids (or whatever they call them these days) or trained workers.

My medical last year, for my B-Double licence, was done by Nurse (of sorts) who couldn't work the blood pressure computer thing properly.

In all Capital cities there are a lot of 'Medical centres' who do nothing but medicals for employers.
They usually have to be signed off by a Dr though, which means reading it and checking any info on it
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #75
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That would suggest that your medical was not worth the paper it was written on, if your blood pressure reading could not be accurately relied upon to be correct. So, why bother.
Old 27-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #76
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
54Ghia, threads like this have no place for actual thought-out fact. Posts are entirely there for newspaper journalism type statements.
Sorry I stand corrected. Thankyou for letting me know.
Old 27-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #77
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Regardless of who does it the workload is still there. And if signoff is needed you just increased the workload.