Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #61
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Default Re: Would legal venues stop hoons?

Sudzy what are you doing on a car enthusiasts forum when you clearly don't seem to be one?

Plenty of people drag race and across all ages and genders, there's even women driving top fuelers

And you have admitted you have used public roads as your playground before so get off your damned high horse hypocrite.

A drag strip won't eliminate the Hoons, but it will alleviate the issue some.
Old 19-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #62
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
You are serious? Take a look at the list of things that you have listed above, all these things encourage people to be active, to get fit, across a variety of ages and demographics and dont require any real expense for people to enjoy them.

Skid pans/hoon pits, entry requires you already own a car, have a licence and would only probably be appealing to a limited number from particular urban areas and socioeconomic status, be in the 18-20 year old bracket and male......but you want the rest of the community to finance this to the tune of billions. What othe activity can you think of that has such a narrow particpant demographic?

Dont also forget that it is a practice that directly puts filth and carcinogens into the air as well as more CO2.

People want to get involved with driving cars fast, its a luxury sport, its expensive, just the way it is when you have a one and a half tonne toy to thrash around.

Pay you way to get yourself into drag racing or racing, perhaps get inot go kart racing, that's relatively cheap.... or go without, regardless the public roads are not your playground......
Oi!

Pull your head in, it's not just men aged 18-20 that are interested in this kind of thing...I know a lot of women who actually get into this kind of thing, and quite happily get up with the guys and race...

Filth and carcinogens? Are you a greenie now too?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #63
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76
You know what ***** me. You guys were 17- 18 once right and every bloke when there young is a hoon including me.
When your young like that everything is who cares, im invincible.
This politicly correct, Soft **** Australia is giving me the *****.
So this one post should have just about summed up the whole 2 pages for those still wondering.
Your'e all politically correct soft#### and you give me the$#&^%, and I,'m a 17-18 year old hoon and I'll do the #$@^ whatever I like and you can jam a legal facility up your politcally correct soft@&%$ @%$#@.
Old 19-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #64
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
Oi!

Pull your head in, it's not just men aged 18-20 that are interested in this kind of thing...I know a lot of women who actually get into this kind of thing, and quite happily get up with the guys and race...

Oi? its only 18-20 year old dimwits that seem to have the need to do it in suburban streets, Ive never seen 50 year old women perform a smoke haze in my street or for that matter any woman driver doing hoon stuff in suburbia.

yep the older and responsible people of both sexes dont do what we are complaining about here and go do it at the drags/race track....I have no problem with them! but you wanna make a strawman, the usual

Quote:
Call me what you want, but if you can tell me anthing good about putting this stuff up into the air, then best your explain yourself...

Last edited by sudszy; 19-05-2011 at 10:23 PM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #65
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasss92
ther are the overly excited car enthusiasts , people that would include the majority on this forum who look after their vehicle and maintain them to a high degree and are quiet respectful to the ways of the road but can have a heavy foot sometimes or get a bit carried away (which is very understandable and easy to do)

then you have ignorant/ foolish/ degenerate people , which the general public considers as hoons and menaces on the road that shouldnt be let near a steering wheel.
I strongly agree with this i belive the have a place for the "hoons" to go and be silly is a good idea. But i belive if they do open such place the penaltys for people who get caught hooning out of these areas should be greatly increased
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #66
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
Sudzy what are you doing on a car enthusiasts forum when you clearly don't seem to be one?
I think you are confused about the term car enthusiast, if you think its about burning rubber/speed and risk taking and law breaking on public roads you have a very narrow view.
Old 19-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #67
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you are confused about the term car enthusiast, if you think its about burning rubber/speed and risk taking and law breaking on public roads you have a very narrow view.
and where on earth did he say this???

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #68
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Oi? its only 18-20 year old dimwits that seem to the idiots that need to do it in suburban streets, Ive never seen 50 year old women perform a smoke haze in my street or for that matter any woman drive doing hoon stuff in suburbia.

yep the older and responsible people of both sexes dont do what we are complaining about here and go do it at the drags/race track....I have no problem with them! but you wanna make a strawman, usual tripe from you.

Call me what you want, but if you can tell me anthing good about putting this stuff up into the air, then best your explain yourself or put a sock in it.
Yes, 'oi' Australian colloquial...you know?

If you've never seen a woman doing it, you're blind, or ignorant...or perhaps both...

I've seen those that are long off their P's behaving in this manner.

Your generalisations are getting incredibly old.

There's no strawman Sudzy, just the usual rhetoric from you.

You refuted very logical reasoning as to why the governments should be providing an outlet for enthusiasts and hoons alike, but with no real reason except apparently it's going to cost billions and the others actually achieve something. You being the anti-hoon fanatic that you are would surely understand that getting 'hoons' (and car enthusiasts, because let's face it, they're tarred with the same brush) off the public roads would be a god send. But as usual, your refuting is neither logical nor reasonable.

The skate park in my home town cost an absolute fortune, to the public. It's maintained, by the public, and supported...by the public to get the bladers, skateboarders and BMX riders off the footpaths and into their own 'space'. There is still an ongoing battle to get some form of location for the drag racers as they're a 4 hour drive from Melbourne, and the car culture there, consists of 3 parts of the town, from the go-karts to the professional drag racers'. The Gold Coasts locations are being shut down, but with no alternative provided, except the streets...does that sound logical, or reasonable to you? We spend 185 billion dollars a year on welfare, but can't spare a few billion for car enthusiasts to have somewhere to 'enjoy themselves'.

Do you drive a car? I assume yes, and therefore, again, a hypocrite. Every vehicle throws carcinogens and CO2, and hundreds of thousands of people drive. So would you care to make a valid point about carcinogens, or just spout some more propaganda in the hope that people will believe you. Should the whole population walk to appease you?

Perhaps you should find another place to spit your rhetoric...try www.infowars.com...I'm sure you'll fit in real well with Alex Jones...it's that way ------->

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 19-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #69
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
No thats not how I see it.

My logic is based on the fact 99.9% of your 320 odd post count is about Road laws (predominately speeding), accidents, and add a dab greenie whining in there while your at it. Not one post on a members car or even for that matter on a car from Ford, you seem to be some caped crusader for the government and everytime one of these type of threads pop up some light shoots into the sky and you come trolling.

A car enthusiast appreciates cars, you have shown none, all you care about is lawbreakers, to which you have already admitted doing so again this makes you a hypocrite.
Old 19-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #70
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
So this one post should have just about summed up the whole 2 pages for those still wondering.
Your'e all politically correct soft#### and you give me the$#&^%, and I,'m a 17-18 year old hoon and I'll do the #$@^ whatever I like and you can jam a legal facility up your politcally correct soft@&%$ @%$#@.
And you and people like you with your attitude are the reason there are these problems to start with

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #71
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
Not one post on a members car or even for that matter on a car from Ford, .
best you look again
Old 19-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #72
sudszy
Banned

Quote:

You refuted very logical reasoning as to why the governments should be providing an outlet for enthusiasts and hoons alike, but with no real reason except apparently it's going to cost billions and the others actually achieve something.
As I explained earlier, racing/hooning cars is a rich man's sport, if you cant afford it, go home, the public doesnt have to pay for your or anyone elses thrills.

Skateboard parks, one could mention that two wrongs dont make a right, but have you for one moment considered the cost of a skateboard park compared to a hooning venue. Just for a moment consider the real estate needed. Looking in my own municipality, even if we combined every bit of park land, and public space it wouldnt be big enough to build a hooning venue that would do the job safely, do you know how much even a quarter mile of bitumen costs? get a grip!
Old 19-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #73
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oi? its only 18-20 year old dimwits that seem to have the need to do it in suburban streets, Ive never seen 50 year old women perform a smoke haze in my street or for that matter any woman driver doing hoon stuff in suburbia.
I have seen many females doing stupid 'hooning' stuff in cars.

I don't go around public streets drifting and burnouts or anything like that. But I sure as hell would go to a skid pad/ drag track if one was available close by.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #74
FgNewbie
Australia

hey Woosh I think you misunderstood the post old fella, afaik zdcol aint 17 or 18
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #75
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
And you and people like you with your attitude are the reason there are these problems to start with
I'm hoping you missed the point...
Old 19-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #76
fordman302

If somebody was to have a real go at giving car enthusiests a chance to enjoy thier car as the liked then maybe the hoon laws could be a little more relevant, i dont condone people that think urban streets are thier play grounds for one minute, but if you go out to deserted intersection where there is no one to hurt bar yourself then go nuts, to say that people who like having a car sideways are all morons or low life scum on centrelink payments is just really narrow minded, if you dont enjoy putting a car sideways then maybe its because you struggle with car control and you are just a little jealous of those who can.

I raced speedway cars for quite a few years and regardless of wether running first last or mid pack there was nothing that gave me a bigger thrill than spending so much time sideways and being able to hang onto the car its such a buzz!!

As for public liability we manged to cover our speedway liability charging 10 bucks entry, put the right controls in place its easy, it's time to start embracing ideas and seeking out a fix for this problem rather just ranting on about how bad these people are for the world, or maybe that would require to many people having to use thier brains and being open to people who might just enjoy having fun in thier cars
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #77
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
You are serious? Take a look at the list of things that you have listed above, all these things encourage people to be active, to get fit, across a variety of ages and demographics and dont require any real expense for people to enjoy them.

Skid pans/hoon pits, entry requires you already own a car, have a licence and would only probably be appealing to a limited number from particular urban areas and socioeconomic status, be in the 18-20 year old bracket and male......but you want the rest of the community to finance this to the tune of billions. What othe activity can you think of that has such a narrow particpant demographic?

Dont also forget that it is a practice that directly puts filth and carcinogens into the air as well as more CO2.

People want to get involved with driving cars fast, its a luxury sport, its expensive, just the way it is when you have a one and a half tonne toy to thrash around.

Pay you way to get yourself into drag racing or racing, perhaps get inot go kart racing, that's relatively cheap.... or go without, regardless the public roads are not your playground......
Where did I say it should be free? I am just saying that the facility should be provided. Where did I say it should be a public road.

While they are at it I am happy for them to build you a nice pilates venue and a tofu bar with the spare change from the "billions" you think it would cost. Of course that may be a bit too hard core for you.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #78
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As I explained earlier, racing/hooning cars is a rich man's sport, if you cant afford it, go home, the public doesnt have to pay for your or anyone elses thrills.

Skateboard parks, one could mention that two wrongs dont make a right, but have you for one moment considered the cost of a skateboard park compared to a hooning venue. Just for a moment consider the real estate needed. Looking in my own municipality, even if we combined every bit of park land, and public space it wouldnt be big enough to build a hooning venue that would do the job safely, do you know how much even a quarter mile of bitumen costs? get a grip!
I think I've figured it out...you're the monkey in the corner throwing poo at everyone...and missing.

The public just wants to complain about it all the time, even when there are designated places for it (Gold Coast)...until the point where they will be no more and those that want to do it will be forced to either not do it at all, or do it illegally...

Casterton drags are held on a main road going into the town...supported, by the public. It's good for tourism, and good for the town.

Portland's drag event used to be held at the airport. And now do have a drag strip, organised by two of the locals who were heavily into drag racing. The Ambo's, Fire Brigade, SES, Lions Club, Rotary Club, and most of the town are behind this kind of thing...they have a population of less than 11,000 people. So what is wrong with the rest of the population that they can't (or won't) get involved? Or insist on closing these venues down?

An exerpt from their site:

Quote:
The South Coast Drag Racing Association is a non profit local community run organisation that runs regular drag racing
events at South Coast Raceway. We run off street legal drag racing each Friday night before our major Saturday
race meetings to encourage drivers of all ages, especially young drivers to use our facility and take part in safe
driving practices and discourage to use of public roads.
I know the GovCo standard on how much bitumen costs...about thirty times more than it actually does cost...and less than concrete.

And who says it has to be inside the city limits?

You want to try and tell me it can't be done again? Or just that you don't want it done?

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 19-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #79
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
best you look again
Must be blind, how about you point it out for me.

With what you have previously admitted to your arguments are akin to a reformed criminal becoming a cop, hypocritical at best.
Old 20-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #80
BAGT514
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having nowhere at all to try out their skills and legally race their friends will only lead to people running amok on the street. Adelaide has always been like this.
Yes - you will always have an element of total disregard for the law but this isn't the majority. Giving people a legal place to "hang out", "cruise", chuck the occasional "burnout" & legally race is a good thing. However - when it is overpriced & you know you are going to get harassed leaving the venue changes your perception.
I used to love taking my car to the drags at AIR, watching the burnout comps at the speedway track and cruising my Landau friday & saturday nights. I know without a doubt that my Landau in the streets of Adelaide on a Friday or Saturday night would be a source of amusement for the coppers who where told 5 years ago to get all the old cars off the road...

"Semi - Silhouette" 2003 BAGT #514
2007 GT500 factory supercharged motor built!

Sensation Blue 2011 FG GT-P # 101
KPM Streetfighter Monster
5.2lt MMR short motor / Stage 3 MMR heads / Boss 302 Exhaust cams
FR20 Simmons / Tein Coilovers / Eaton Tru Track / Very scared 305/25/20" Nitto Invo's
ZF fitted with a NIZPRO Stage 2 input shaft & Excedy Clutches
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11408502
BAGT514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #81
BAGT514
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

yep the older and responsible people of both sexes dont do what we are complaining about here and go do it at the drags/race track....I have no problem with them! but you wanna make a strawman, the usual

Call me what you want, but if you can tell me anthing good about putting this stuff up into the air, then best your explain yourself...
So when Victor Bray told the story of illegal off street drag racing for big money years ago before he became a professional racer and the people he raced had money to build steaming hot cars that just doesnt come with that 18-20 age group - where does your perception go from there? There are countless reports of "Australia's oldest hoons" floating around. Age is only a problem because of the lack of skill and time behind the wheel. How do these young people learn how to control a slide? Emergency braking situations? Fast evasive manouvers when someone else loses control?

The same way most of us did.... Being a "hoon"
If you take away the legal venues and expect them not to play up you also take away the skill set involved with driving. I would prefer to be in an emergency situation with someone who has learnt how to control a car than someone who has done the basic driving test and panics the first time they are faced with a compromising situation.

It's not the easy answer but we need venues for people to appreciate and enjoy their cars

"Semi - Silhouette" 2003 BAGT #514
2007 GT500 factory supercharged motor built!

Sensation Blue 2011 FG GT-P # 101
KPM Streetfighter Monster
5.2lt MMR short motor / Stage 3 MMR heads / Boss 302 Exhaust cams
FR20 Simmons / Tein Coilovers / Eaton Tru Track / Very scared 305/25/20" Nitto Invo's
ZF fitted with a NIZPRO Stage 2 input shaft & Excedy Clutches
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11408502
BAGT514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #82
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:

Put your hands up if you regularly go to an art gallery or the opera. Now tell me everything that is put on is worth the government investment in infrastructure to facilitate it, or the grants to community groups to put them on, or make the 'art'.

Governments spend a fortune on parts of society I and many others have absolutely no interest in, yet we still pay a portion of our hard earned to fund it. I accept that as some people are interested, and thats what a society is about, sharing. Im pretty sure national and state galleries arent cheap to build, or maintain. Didnt really care for the Popes visit either.

Still, Im not against them.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #83
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Put your hands up if you regularly go to an art gallery or the opera. Now tell me everything that is put on is worth the government investment in infrastructure to facilitate it, or the grants to community groups to put them on, or make the 'art'.

Governments spend a fortune on parts of society I and many others have absolutely no interest in, yet we still pay a portion of our hard earned to fund it. I accept that as some people are interested, and thats what a society is about, sharing. Im pretty sure national and state galleries arent cheap to build, or maintain. Didnt really care for the Popes visit either.

Still, Im not against them.
True... and yet local bands who could use a bit of assistance get nothing.
Old 20-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #84
Parfrey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would legal venues stop hoons?

I doubt it, but i think it would go a long way to help. I know alot of people would have a different additude towards 'hoon' driving if there was a safe, relitivly cheap place to do it (that isn't a few hours away).
Anyone else feel like they've thrashed their car enough when your driving home from the drags? Or is it just me?
Old 20-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #85
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGT514
Age is only a problem because of the lack of skill and time behind the wheel. How do these young people learn how to control a slide? Emergency braking situations? Fast evasive manouvers when someone else loses control?

The same way most of us did.... Being a "hoon"
If you take away the legal venues and expect them not to play up you also take away the skill set involved with driving. I would prefer to be in an emergency situation with someone who has learnt how to control a car than someone who has done the basic driving test and panics the first time they are faced with a compromising situation.

It's not the easy answer but we need venues for people to appreciate and enjoy their cars
Oh, so these morons making smoke plumes in my street are really making life safer for all of us?
No, safe driving is not about being able to do fully sic opposite lock burn out recoveries (which not even schumacher is going to be able to pull off even half the time at random), its about not getting into situations in the first place and that is 99.9% due to attitude.

Australia has a problem with young people and cars, the answer isnt to further it by encouraging more activity that for the dimwitted, sees it carry over into public spaces. We have a mindset with people in particular demographics, (nothing else to do, lets go and and cruise, pull some burnouts etc)..that's what community leaders need to address.
Old 20-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #86
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:

Australia has a problem with young people and cars, the answer isnt to further it by encouraging more activity that for the dimwitted, sees it carry over into public spaces. We have a mindset with people in particular demographics, (nothing else to do, lets go and and cruise, pull some burnouts etc)..that's what community leaders need to address.
Yeah, like pre-marital sex and say no to drugs. They aint listening and never have, and that is not just todays youth, I didnt listen either. On the two I mentioned, I often combined them. However the existence of Chemists and whorehouses didnt encourage it.

Its not just Australia that has that 'problem'.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #87
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I Love seeing posts by Sudszy.. I imagine him wearing a wizard hat and telling his mum to be quiet as he has the internet to patrol.
Old 20-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #88
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Living in a rural township (outta town)
I still throw the idea around to do something along these lines
The neighbour has 100 acres doin nothin
Great location, minimal population
BUT
We would need to fund,
Toilet facilities,no council sewerage this far out
Sufficient water and supply
Again no council supplied water out here
Plenty of off street parking
Again , massive costs
The strip,pad, plus extra bitumen
Have suficient safety people on hand
Ambos, fire,ect
We only have local stanby ambos,local station miles away
Im 15Ks from the closest township of a corner shop
35Ks from the next town,
1 1/2 HRs from a major town
Now the land is relatively cheapish, compared to a capital city
But the noise out here travels at night or mid afternoon
I can hear the trucks on the highway 10Ks away
Youll hear cars screaming for miles and miles away
Everyone would complain and it no doubt would be shut down
I and most others couldnt afford to set up this style of event and be forced to shut it down
So cost isnt the issue
Didnt Lakeside get shut down years ago due to whingers about the noise ???
Yet the track was already there and there for years
Double edge sword
Have the track or event outta town , people wont travel
Have it in a township area, people will complain
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #89
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Oh, so these morons making smoke plumes in my street are really making life safer for all of us?
No, safe driving is not about being able to do fully sic opposite lock burn out recoveries (which not even schumacher is going to be able to pull off even half the time at random), its about not getting into situations in the first place and that is 99.9% due to attitude.

You need to fully read peoples posts before firing back waffle.

Ok, so we have your view regarding safe venues for car enthusiasts... sorry "hoons", to enjoy their cars off the streets. So what would you do about all the young people and cars to lessen the "hoon" element?

Also have you ever been to a test and tune drag meet and actually seen the supposed rich running their cars?

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #90
84xespac
Wearing an armadillo hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
I Love seeing posts by Sudszy.. I imagine him wearing a wizard hat and telling his mum to be quiet as he has the internet to patrol.
84xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post