Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #61
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Default Re: arnt the young fellas today spoilt with what cars are available cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
consistent old car bashing on this forum that old cars are slow.....

try an angry Clevo at 3am.... very quick.. very fast.. very dangerous.....
Very true...............
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #62
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: arnt the young fellas today spoilt with what cars are available cheap?

Quote:
A lot were and these days, a standard 5.8 XD would get towelled up by a standard XT....
You had to do a lot of mods to get a Cleveland to run consistent 12s but these day an XR6T is but a hair's breath away..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #63
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
A lot were and these days, a standard 5.8 XD would get towelled up by a standard XT....
You had to do a lot of mods to get a Cleveland to run consistent 12s but these day an XR6T is but a hair's breath away..
Yeah, but its just not the same. I have mates with 8s and 6Ts hell even 4Ts that would pull away from the Gal no sweat. They don't have the old school rumble or the wow factor of the body - they look like the majority of the other cars on the road. Compare an XR6T or SS to a Chevelle SS or a 429 Stang, I know which one is more likely to drop the panties...
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #64
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nail it in a modern Falcon and your TCS kicks in to ensure you have grip, your tuned suspension holds the car onto the road like it's on rails, ECU determines the most efficient amount of fuel to give, exhaust gives you a little backfiring burble, and you shoot off down the road like you're riding on a cloud

Put the boot into a 351 and the **** end will drop, the nose will point skyward and your tyres will start bagging. You will be able to hear the carburettor furiously sucking air even over the roar of the engine (unimpeded by catalytic converters and pollution control), and the car will rattle, bounce, and jolt down the road like a ****ed off bull trying to buck you off

Basically a modern car might be tons faster than an old 351 but you will not feel it. If you want a driving experience that will kick you in the balls and have your legs shaking when you get out of the driver's seat you'll find it in an old V8. There's a lot more to speed than just the velocity at which you're travelling imo
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #65
RAPID_BA
Banned

Yesterday I was washing the car when I hear the scream of an old school V8, the whine of a charger, the scream of tyres and as he backed off the blow off valve. I walked over to the road, and sitting at the corner was an old torana, two blokes with big grins in the front seat, sitting there ready to turn right, lumpy grumbling V8.

Then he hits it, crossed up, V8 screaming whining charger and then blow off valve again. Its just awesome to see/hear/feel/smell

The young fella up the road with his lancer wouldn't bat an eyelid.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #66
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Basically a modern car might be tons faster than an old 351 but you will not feel it. If you want a driving experience that will kick you in the balls and have your legs shaking when you get out of the driver's seat you'll find it in an old V8. There's a lot more to speed than just the velocity at which you're travelling imo
Nah, I had my fun with Clevos 30 years ago, been there done that.
Besides, those older cars now draw too much of the wrong kind of attention....
Old 14-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #67
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbcool
but ya can't buy street cred ya gotta build it.
I like this comment the best.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #68
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:

Put the boot into a 351 and the **** end will drop, the nose will point skyward and your tyres will start bagging. You will be able to hear the carburettor furiously sucking air even over the roar of the engine (unimpeded by catalytic converters and pollution control), and the car will rattle, bounce, and jolt down the road like a ****ed off bull trying to buck you off
Best description yet!!!
Old 14-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #69
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
right bits in the right spots... 12's are easy peasy...

very basic crane hyd288, mild head work annnnnd standard rockers.....

daily driver, basic as and beat the crap out a lot of new stuff....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #70
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

try an angry Clevo at 3am.... very quick.. very fast.. very dangerous.....
so true, and it`s like the young blokes think the older guys did`nt mod them in those days, and don`t forget the angry little windsors , as for that xt vs the xy GT test, next time well put some 20 year old dunlops on the xt to help make it a bit fairer.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #71
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yes its a great ride but time is moving on and the new crowd now have nine years of XR6T and 5.4 XR8s to keep them interested.

Please don't think I'm belittling the efforts of our past cars but it's time to pass the torch over to the new brigade.
If we keep the world's biggest rear vision mirror in the Falcon we lose sight of where the car is going...
Old 14-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #72
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont know, yea they have quicker cars at their disposl now than we had (in my case I got my P's in 89) but you know what, an XY GS could be had for $2,499.00, or in my case I had an XCGS Ute I put together in the back yard and I look back on those times fondly I wouldnt change a thing, for us getting hasseled by the cops at worst ment they told your parrents most cases were told to stop driving like an idiot P's only lasted a year and it didnt matter what time of the day or night you went for a cruize the blood alcohol limit was 0.05 and every thing was fun O and the kicker if petrol was over 0.49cpl it must have been a long weekend

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #73
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350125GO
Compare an XR6T or SS to a Chevelle SS or a 429 Stang, I know which one is more likely to drop the panties...
For any female under the age of 30, the Commodore SS will everytime.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #74
GTP-03

I was thinking how crap and boring cars are these days, in the 90s you could get a decent hk hg ht hq 2 door monaro for under 5k, also the same for xr xt xa xb v8s, there were heaps of coupes around in the trading post for around 5thousand, these days you dont get much for around 5 grand
Old 14-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #75
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Compare an XR6T or SS to a Chevelle SS or a 429 Stang, I know which one is more likely to drop the panties...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Just heading off to the Holden dealer now........

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #76
EF
Formerly gt.4.me

i am on my red Ps soon to be on my greens and my first car was ment to be my dads xp ute with a nice mild 302 winsor he boughbt it when i was little and was gunnar keep it till the day i could drive it ! but then the p plate laws came into effect and he sold it so when it came time for me to get a car mum asked do u want a new car or a old banger. i could of had a 40,000 fg xr6 with the lot but i wanted a manual ef xr6 had to have one so on my 17th b day there she was $3000 bucks worth of ozzie steal ! i love the car to bits it dose need a rebuild but that dosnt bother me ! my car is my life and next year i will be buying a fairmount ghia to drive while i pump every sent into it and my xy wagon i have that my old man gave me ! so kids my age think new cars are hectic ( sorry for using that word) but the truth is my car is more fun to drive and sounds alot better then my mates bf ! and gives it a fair run ! the thing most kids my age need to learn is there is a time and place for going fast and tht is the race track ! i would love to be cruising around in a xa gt coupe for my first car and live in the 80's but i was born in the 90's :L
EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #77
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Sorry mate, can't agree with you there. This is coming from bogan heartland, Western Sydney. note: i am 20
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #78
XRDeeze
UTRIED

lol at the comments saying we cant have fun in our cars these days , 200 kw of power is more then enough ( more then V8's of old) to do things we want on outter/ back/industrial roads, whats so different to having a car now then it was "back in days"?

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
XRDeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #79
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_XR603
lol at the comments saying we cant have fun in our cars these days , 200 kw of power is more then enough ( more then V8's of old) to do things we want on outter/ back/industrial roads, whats so different to having a car now then it was "back in days"?
Anti-Hooning laws.
The cops and communities got so sick of decades of young people in cars smoking it up and street racing.
Old 14-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #80
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nail it in a modern Falcon and your TCS kicks in to ensure you have grip, your tuned suspension holds the car onto the road like it's on rails, ECU determines the most efficient amount of fuel to give, exhaust gives you a little backfiring burble, and you shoot off down the road like you're riding on a cloud

This is very true. I put Konis in my old stang. It felt a lot slower because it didn't squat down and launch like before.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #81
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_XR603

There are plenty of old v8's cruising the streets with much more than 200kw at the engine.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #82
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
man we didnt buy poofter cars... we got around in $3k XA GT's.....
That's a good point!

I bought an HK Monaro as my first car for $5k - immaculate grandpa spec.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #83
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry mate, can't agree with you there. This is coming from bogan heartland, Western Sydney. note: i am 20
I promise you it is unfortunately true. My brother, who just turned 18, swears that girls love SS utes, especially if the guy driving it is "hot". He owns a hot house VY S Pak ute with 20in HSV wheels and the girls are lining up to "go for a ride". Granted it tends to bring out a certain type of girl, but he has not complained so far........

In fact, here is his car.......

A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 14-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #84
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
This is coming from bogan heartland, Western Sydney. note: i am 20
But every second car in Western Sydney is an SS ute.... Just like the one above
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #85
Carrie On

horse crazy girls love the ss ute.
Carrie On is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #86
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
But every second car in Western Sydney is an SS ute.... Just like the one above
It is only an s pak, my brother has fitted a VZ SS Thunder front end because he did not like the poverty look it had beforehand. It also received a full respray. All I had to drive when I was 18 was Dad's XF wagon with an asthmatic 200 motor. He would hand me the keys and tell me not to do any burnouts in it, and then fall head over heels over laughing at his own joke.......... Good times.
Old 15-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #87
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AHHH, enuf of the commondore comments,and the piccies
IF ya like to look at Darth Vaders love child the ute above is what itll be
Real utes, yeah the ones that actually carry stuff, other than man bags have traybacks
Have ground clearance and arent a "Look at me"sorta thing
My ride on mower would handle anything ruffer than bitumen better than that ute
No offence taken of course, commodores dont do a thing for me
If i won one, id sell it faster than the ink would dry on the rego papers
Now when i was younger the young girls would hang around any car that was fast, regardless of the drivers looks, but here isnt the place for commenting on the young girls preference
Cars nowadays ,generally go faster, handle better, stop better than any previous,but if your young and dont understand why we have the older cars , you just wont never understand it
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #88
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ha its like the episode of wheeler dealers I saw last night, they restored a 70's dodge charger, took it to the 1/4 mile and where over the moon with the 18/17 sec passes they did.....

But thats not the point, there is no rationale to compare old vs new school. Old is there to be enjoyed and loved, new stuff is to go about our daily business.

Both have strengths and weaknesses etc...appreciation vs depreciation blah blah blah.

Sure some new performance stuff is coming down in price, thats normal, but fir us youngens trying to get some classic metal its alot harder.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #89
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

I am amongst the small group of young fellas who loves older cars. Sure I do appreciate a nicely modded modern car but I believe older cars have personality. But I must admit we can find some tough cars and parts cheap. I bought my 351 XE with some rego for $1900 after some haggling.

I turned 21 in october and am 3/4 way through the rebuild of the XE as some of you may know. Everyone around here has no idea about what it will go like and ask why I waste my time working on an old crap falcon. All I say is you will see. The way I see it is why spend $10,000 on a new car and be in debt when I can build my car how I want that will go harder, look better and probaly end up more valuable in the end.

I also have a 67 XR wagon I was given off my uncle years ago and on the weekend scored myself a 428 police interceptor engine to build up for it.

I'm a broke young fella doing the best with what I have and who I know. A bit of dedication and sacrificing not going out drinking etc pays off in the end.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #90
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

very basic crane hyd288, mild head work annnnnd standard rockers.....

Whilst i can still appreciate a lot of cars, the one above included. For what i want they are pointless. Now im sure that thing would mutilate my car in a straight line twice over.
But i like to go around corners aswell so thats where each car has advantages and disadvantages.
Nice GT BTW.