Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #61
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyboy
True, there will be some ****ed off VE SS owners out there. I get your point about not many been made, but this is different then the usual limited edition where all you get is a different logo stitched in your seats and a set of racing stripes. And as I mentioned before, these cars will have a story/history to them. That will add appeal.
I have to disagree with that. IMHO I think the SS is a lot better looking car than the G8, and the story/history you mention is just Holden offloading body parts of cars they couldnt sell in the States.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #62
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50
I have to disagree with that. IMHO I think the SS is a lot better looking car than the G8, and the story/history you mention is just Holden offloading body parts of cars they couldnt sell in the States.

I like the G8...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #63
Paddyboy

Quote:
My point is not based on whether the SS is better looking then the G8. Im saying some VE SS owners will be ****ed because the value of theirs will decrease albeit slightly. And sure we see the situation rationally and say holden is only offloading parts from a failed project, the Holden fans see "Limited Edition, special offer, american version, looks tough" and they'll come running and the cars will sell straight away.

Last edited by Paddyboy; 21-08-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Paddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #64
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I sent a link to the article to some friends in our corporate HQ in the states.

To some of them, the G8 was a aspirational car...they seriously wanted one and only the financial times stopped it happening, but it was still 'out there'.

Seeing the offload here, they're quite ****ed...

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #65
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just paid a deposit on 1 yesterday, phantom black
My missus' brother works at the holden factory so we get a 35% holden family discount off locally built holdens. So the price for us was $41K driveaway with the family discount!
I am & I will always be a Ford man, but I couldn't look pass this deal for a high performance car at that price.
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #66
chief
FTF Club Moderator

There will be some seriously annoyed Pontiac customers who wont be able to get parts anymore unless they buy them themselves and ship it over. Would make for a very costly repair if the car was in an accident. Most likely just write the car off.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #67
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

"Prices of each limited edition model will be $1000 more than a regular SS V."
Love how they think a pile of leftover parts can make a premium car they will charge more for.
Gotta hand to Holdens marketing department.
Old 23-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #68
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
There will be some seriously annoyed Pontiac customers who wont be able to get parts anymore unless they buy them themselves and ship it over. Would make for a very costly repair if the car was in an accident. Most likely just write the car off.
Cash for Clunkers 2030. FTW :

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #69
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
Love how they think a pile of leftover parts can make a premium car they will charge more for.
It's been done plenty of times before by many other automobile manufacturers - including Ford (remember the Cobra). It's far better to turn a profit on something - rather than turn it all to scrap.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #70
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
Wrong.. Manufacturers regardless of who they are need to stock parts for a certain amount of time. Therefore GM will still have to export parts for these 40,000 cars that have already been exported.

Cheers.
Old 24-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #71
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
Reminds me of the XC cobra
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #72
Chopped
as in chopped

Failed export program !!! LOL - Watch the VF get sent back over as a Chevy.

What export program does ford have again ???????!!!!!
(I can see the 4cyl Falcon being a world beater (LOL) F4 baby yeah !)
Old 24-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #73
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Reminds me of the XC cobra
I didnt realise they tried to export the XC Cobra....

Old 24-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #74
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I didnt realise they tried to export the XC Cobra....
No, but they did have some body shells to move
Old 24-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #75
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
No, but they did have some body shells to move
Ummm... so dumping excess Pontiac parts intended for export onto our local products due to a failed export program is the same as releasing a limited edition special to sell slow moving coupe shells meant for our market in the first place???

Old 24-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #76
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ummm... so dumping excess Pontiac parts intended for export onto our local products due to a failed export program is the same as releasing a limited edition special to sell slow moving coupe shells meant for our market in the first place???
I think they (both) address a problem of how to turn surplus parts into money. Don't see the difference in where parts were heading originally.
Old 24-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #77
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

For the record, the full dealer allocation is gone.

And deposits taken for most at retail level. No discounting either.
Old 24-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #78
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
For the record, the full dealer allocation is gone.

And deposits taken for most at retail level. No discounting either.
Yet Holden hasnt confirmed its existance......

Holden has not confirmed the special model, but spokeswoman Kate Lonsdale said: "We are working with Holden dealers on an exciting new SSV special edition and we will be announcing details shortly."

You must have had a busy day ringing every dealer to see if they've sold out their allocation of a car holden hasnt confirmed details on yet...

Last edited by 4Vman; 24-08-2009 at 10:39 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #79
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol...

Like all the cobras that were sold seconds after release.. Aussies must be getting dumber by the hour..
Old 25-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #80
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Translation of limited edition model

-holden starts exporting the ve aka g8 to yankee land
-economy goes bust
-gm goes even more bust
-cancels orders
-holden goes what do we do
-limited edition
-profit/break even!

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 12:12 AM   #81
Paddyboy

Quote:
Lol...

Like all the cobras that were sold seconds after release.. Aussies must be getting dumber by the hour
Everyone has different tastes and opinions, just because you dont like these cars doesnt mean you need to make comments like that.
Old 25-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #82
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If ford was exporting falcon utes to the US and badging them as a Ranchero, would many of us here have an issue if (after the economy burst) ford shoved all of the leftover/unused ranchero badges, grills, special funky bonnet on a limited edition XR8 Ranchero?

RPO 83 xa's owed a lot to left over phase four bits.

Holden are excellent with marketing. The car will stand out more than any w427 and drones will buy them (and try to glue a chevy/HRT/HDT/Triple8 badge onto it somewhere) and holden will do okay financially.

I actually feel a little jealous.

How cool would an XR8 'Gran Torino' be?

Just my two cents
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #83
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yet Holden hasnt confirmed its existance......

Holden has not confirmed the special model, but spokeswoman Kate Lonsdale said: "We are working with Holden dealers on an exciting new SSV special edition and we will be announcing details shortly."

You must have had a busy day ringing every dealer to see if they've sold out their allocation of a car holden hasnt confirmed details on yet...
Ye of little faith.

Understand GM has a world class spin dept, as distinct to world calss vehicles. If the announce it's on 2 days forgotten, or speculate everywhere for 2 months worth of free publicity.

I placed no calls but had a meal with someone who is well placed to know. The dealer 'wholesale' accocations are gone and retails are strong and almost gone. If you want, try your local dealer, see what reaction you get.

Understand the point of this thread is that GMH is planning to use up these bits they were stuck with and deft marketing and alittle through slight of hand to there adoring bogan crowd, they will make money out of a stuff up. You have to give them credit for that.

GMH are an awsome marketing machine, they sell more VE's than ford sell FG's despite the VE being an inferior product. QED.