Old 07-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #61
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I lost my breath after the 2nd line lolol
Old 07-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #62
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What? A Gen-X'er WAIT??

This is the generation that thinks they should be able to walk out of high school and straight into a management position instead of waiting until they had a little time in and had worked their way up after spending time proving their worth by making coffee and collecting photocopies before they get their corner office...

Seriously though, what's wrong with taking time and learning a bit of roadcraft in something a little less powerful first? He'll, they've done it with motorbike licences for decades...why not cars?

Power to weight, as with bikes, would seem to be the way to go. Not that hard to police with a list of what's ok and what's not. Back in "the old days" we "naturally" started out with a slow crap car...faster cars were expensive and we had to save money over time and work our way
up the ranks until we got something fast. Little different now when even base
model Falcons and Commodores are the equal of stuff like XY-GTs...to put it simply, back then to get behind something with that level of
performance you would have been driving for years before you could afford it, unless you had a rich mum and dad, but that didn't happen much back then, certainly less than now.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 07-03-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #63
DallasXR6

little off topic but...

My missus has just got her full licence, and is looking a clubsport ( i am trying very hard to convince her a b series xr8 would be better tho)

I am just on my green P's, if she had an 8, could i demote myself and display L's and drive with her??

she would be considered a supervising driver then...

Red P's
Old 07-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #64
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasXR6
I am just on my green P's, if she had an 8, could i demote myself and display L's and drive with her??
No, because you're on your P's.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #65
DallasXR6

thought probing question...
wouldnt actually try it..

Red P's
Old 07-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #66
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Pfft, I used to whinge and carry on about vehicle restrictions, then I bought my LV TDCI Focus (which is turboed and can be driven on Ps here in Victoria).

Then I realised I'm getting 1000km out of a tank, costs me nothign to go to work basically. Gets me from A to B safely and comfortably.

Thats when the whole OMG V8s thing went out the window, the quicker all us young blokes realise that cars are a waste of time/money and stop putting money into useless crap like performance mods, driving crap with big fuel hungry engines or some POS from the 60s/70/80s because it looks "cool" and put that towards saving up for a house the better for everyone, might even save your life one day too.

I reckon ban all P platers from driving RWD vehicles, that'd fix 90% of their problems.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-03-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #67
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
That's how I read it too, you said that "some" P platers are maniacs, then he said "All P-platers". What a load of crap. Anyone who says that all P platers are maniacs is probably too old to have any clue about what they are talking about- they just read the newspaper, watch 60 minutes and they know it all. The vast majority of P platers are sensible drivers. Newsflash: most P platers, particularly females, don't have any interest in driving whatsoever, they just get from A to B and go about it sensibly. This business that "every P plater is a maniac trying to kill themselves" is so incredibly stupid, words don't do it justice. It's the ones that are still immature that go out and do immature things. Particularly when you mix a young car enthusiast and immaturity together you get problems, it's inevitable.
Sorry to burst your bubble but P platers are not good drivers in any sence of the word. A large percentage of them can be seen doing the most idiotic and dangerous of maneouvers with out a hint of fear or thought.

You say that the mix of young car enthusiast and immaturity gives you problems. Clearly your not watching what happens on the roads.
the number of P platers who drive around in laa laa land, speeding, tail gating, talking on phones (young females especially), swerving from lane to lane because they are trying to get to the front of peak hour traffic, driving round in unroadworthy cars etc etc is beyond belief.

Most of the time the young P platers i see racing/ speeding and in a bog stock hyundai or idiotic 4WD with a 8in lift kit, cut back tray and oversized (and illegal) tyres....

On average here in my town at least once a fortnight a P plater is involved in a serious accident (most of the time they end up in someones yard or house)

The attitude displayed is one of i dont give a crap, im young, im indestructable, I can drive a car, I know what im doing....

driving A to B ? yes thats right they are doing just that and most of the time they are doing WRONG...

Over confidence (even after the P plate is gone) is the biggest killer.

Too old to know what they are talking about?
Maybe your too young and lacking in life experience to know what your saying?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 07-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #68
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Pfft, I used to whinge and carry on about vehicle restrictions, then I bought my LV TDCI Focus (which is turboed and can be driven on Ps here in Victoria).

Then I realised I'm getting 1000km out of a tank, costs me nothign to go to work basically. Gets me from A to B safely and comfortably.

Thats when the whole OMG V8s thing went out the window, the quicker all us young blokes realise that cars are a waste of time/money and stop putting money into useless crap like performance mods, driving crap with big fuel hungry engines or some POS from the 60s/70/80s because it looks "cool" and put that towards saving up for a house the better for everyone, might even save your life one day too.

I reckon ban all P platers from driving RWD vehicles, that'd fix 90% of their problems.
Sounds like you are on the wrong forum. Cars are some peoples hobby.
I hate when people use that, You should have bought a house line.
Yes owning a house is important, but you have to spend money on things you like aswell.

Still can't believe people think pretty much every p plater is a maniac with no care for anyone/thing

I remember not long ago a news article saying how a p plater in an SS had a head on with another car. He was 35 but the newspaper constantly repeated he was a p plater.
It's not just young people who drive stupid.

Out of my mates the worst driver doesn't have a 6cylinder Holden or ford. He doesn't have a quick car at all. He has a old diesel triton ute that takes 20 seconds to get from 0 to 100kmh down a hill.
He would be a **** driver no matter what car he was in. He might wake up now since he lost his licence for speeding after getting off once before

Last edited by Ben73; 07-03-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #69
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope you're joking Big Damo...
The p-platers that drive like idiots do so because they ARE idiots.
No matter what car you give them they will push the boundaries and do stupid things...

If you banned rwd vehicles how are tradespeople going to get to work? I can't really think of any fwd utes off the top of my head.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #70
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

might even save your life one day too.

From memory it did save your life Big damo

But most of us here do like our cars, I like my classics, but driving a few reminds me of how much better and safer the new ones are!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #71
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheek
I hope you're joking Big Damo...
The p-platers that drive like idiots do so because they ARE idiots.
No matter what car you give them they will push the boundaries and do stupid things...

If you banned rwd vehicles how are tradespeople going to get to work? I can't really think of any fwd utes off the top of my head.
Most P platers would be apprentices, who wouldn't even need a ute to carry their tools anyway, I got a rollcab and a big tool chest into work today with the rear seats folded down in a 2003 Mazda 323. Thats $3500 worth of toolbox and tools, plus $1200 of power tools inside the same car.

Two of my mates have utes who are apprentices, they don't ever put anything big that justifies the use of a ute in them anyway.

Out of everyone at work, one guy has a ute.

I'm an apprentice auto electrician.

Even then you could give out exemptions on a work use basis like they do now. Which means you are using your car for work, not cruising down to get pizza Friday night after work.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #72
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Sorry to burst your bubble but P platers are not good drivers in any sence of the word. A large percentage of them can be seen doing the most idiotic and dangerous of maneouvers with out a hint of fear or thought.

You say that the mix of young car enthusiast and immaturity gives you problems. Clearly your not watching what happens on the roads.
the number of P platers who drive around in laa laa land, speeding, tail gating, talking on phones (young females especially), swerving from lane to lane because they are trying to get to the front of peak hour traffic, driving round in unroadworthy cars etc etc is beyond belief.

Most of the time the young P platers i see racing/ speeding and in a bog stock hyundai or idiotic 4WD with a 8in lift kit, cut back tray and oversized (and illegal) tyres....

On average here in my town at least once a fortnight a P plater is involved in a serious accident (most of the time they end up in someones yard or house)

The attitude displayed is one of i dont give a crap, im young, im indestructable, I can drive a car, I know what im doing....

driving A to B ? yes thats right they are doing just that and most of the time they are doing WRONG...

Over confidence (even after the P plate is gone) is the biggest killer.

Too old to know what they are talking about?
Maybe your too young and lacking in life experience to know what your saying?
Wow
Old 07-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #73
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:

This attitude right here shows you have a brain. Great post that alot of P platers should take note of.

For the idiots jumping on this post, read it again. It's directed specifically at P platers who spend a crapload amount of money purchasing and illegally driving a V8 just so they can drive faster, look better and boost there "i'm so awesome" ego.

I'm assuming it's also directed at morons who get a bank loan for there first car, here's a news flash and opinion for you all. You are idiots. Period. You think everyone envy's you because you're driving around in a VE SV6 ute or an FG XR6 or G6? NO. Everyone looks at you and says to themselves "that guy/girl has a bank loan, what a loser".

Buy a V8 and spend money on making it a monster when you're off your P plates, have a house and have a steady source of income, aka a permanent job.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
This attitude right here shows you have a brain. Great post that alot of P platers should take note of.

For the idiots jumping on this post, read it again. It's directed specifically at P platers who spend a crapload amount of money purchasing and illegally driving a V8 just so they can drive faster, look better and boost there "i'm so awesome" ego.

I'm assuming it's also directed at morons who get a bank loan for there first car, here's a news flash and opinion for you all. You are idiots. Period. You think everyone envy's you because you're driving around in a VE SV6 ute or an FG XR6 or G6? NO. Everyone looks at you and says to themselves "that guy/girl has a bank loan, what a loser".

Buy a V8 and spend money on making it a monster when you're off your P plates, have a house and have a steady source of income, aka a permanent job.
Zing
Old 07-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #75
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
P platers are really learner drivers that are allowed to go solo. they still have a lot of learning to do and should be restricted in what they drive untill they learn a bit more.
I'll put it in perspective you can get a private pilots licence in a few months but they restrict what you can fly because you are still learning, would you like a novice pilot flying a 747 or an FA18?
I'm expecting all the "hard done by " and "discriminated against" P platers to scream , rant and carry on about my comments but the fact is under 25s and P platers are over represented in our road toll statistics. if they were just killing themself I'd say they knew the risks but they often take out inocent victims as well

It's simple really , P plates = no turbo no V8
SPOT ON!!!!!
Old 07-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #76
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
why do you care if people get a loan for there first car? Big deal. When I was 19 and on my green p's I got a loan for my second car. But I was on 80k a year at 19 so what's so stupid about getting loan for car? I'd get a house too but I'm waiting for my gf to finish uni so we will both be on decent money before getting into debt for hundreds and thousands of dollars.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #77
XLTDP63

I am 17, just about to get my P's and i know alot of people that are incapable of driving a car safely at this age thats why the restrictions are a good idea, but there are people i know who are people perfictly able to to drive a high powered car and not be a total idiot, but if they are allowed to drive a high powered car then the idiots sould be allowed to drive them as well, so its better for everyone on there P's to put up with low powered cars for a few years then move up to a high powered car if they feel the need for it later. because one of the main reasons a p plater wants a high powered car is to say to say "look at me!".
Also for what ever reason a P plater needs a v8 ute for his job, the chances are he won't be Hooning around on a friday night with a tray full off tools
Old 08-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #78
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm not sure it's quite that clear cut Damo, I disagree.

-Young men will always engage in risk-taking behaviour, whether it's behind the wheel of a Hyundai Excel or a Holden Commodore.
-Not everyone can afford new "safe and sensible" FWD cars.
-Banning P-platers from RWDs is ridiculous. Why not just take the next step and make all P-platers drive Smart cars?
-Cars from the 60s and 70s ARE cool!
-If people want to "waste" money on cars, it's their choice. They earned it, they can spend it as they like.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #79
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want to know who NEEDS a v8 ute for their job. I'm sure most jobs a turbo diesel 6 will be good enough.

So what jobs require a v8 Holden or ford ute.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #80
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheek
I read through the whole thread expecting to see this written somewhere and I'm glad someone has. A high powered car will most likely get a young driver into trouble easier, but many will manage to cause an accident in anything.

When I was younger, a P plater crashed his car into a tree that was on the nature strip in front of my house. I was on the other side of the road with my mate when it happened. He was driving an old boxy corolla, had no control what so ever, car was destroyed, tree had been uprooted. He was lucky and walked away, as did his two passengers.

Speaking from my own experiences when I was a P plater, the only car I ever had a close call with was a 2 cylinder matchbox which would of been lucky to be pushing 20kw at the flywheel. I had driven far more powerful cars, quickest being a S2000 whilst I was still on my L's. I owned a Alfa Romeo 75 3.0 V6 at the same time and never had any close encounters in it despite it being far quicker. Having a gutless car makes people drive them to the limit more often.

P platers are always going to find a way of stacking their cars, regardless of what they are. Best bet is to avoid them like the ********** plague, though they can make that hard too.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #81
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
POS from the 60s/70/80s because it looks "cool"
Do you have a deathwish?
Old 08-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #82
TUF-640

alright time for me to start a bit of a rant :P and a little bit of my 2 cents
i can see exactly why the laws are there for this..had my licence for about a year now and soon to be going on to green p's. even restrictions on limited passengers helps alot as ive taken a few drunken friends home in the past and it gets pretty hard to handle especially when your not use to it..but thats another topic
ill bring up an example here, mate of mine who basically rules everything down to the 'look how cool i am' factor bought himself a charged vx calais a few months back but still hasnt got around to regoing it...as to how he plans on getting away with it once it is regoed i dont know, ive taken it for a spin before just to see what the fuss is about and over a normal na 6 yes it does have alot more oomf and i wasnt expecting it, could hear the rear tyres wanting to lose grip...but its the hind of car i could see myself doing something stupid in, something new, something im not use to..its an eye opener to know what power can do and really see how/why the law is in place...even driving my na 6 sometimes i wonder how much more power do u really need at such a young age...some of the dumb things my mates and i get up to in our cars im slowly starting to realise how things can just turn around and turn into a nightmare...i guess ive always been the cautious type but all in all it pretty much gets broken down to the person behind the wheel...like my mate, as long as he doesnt get caught he doesnt care less as long as hes impressing people the law doesnt appear to be much of a problem to him...time will tell when i can laugh in his face for not getting away with it...also forgot to mention he took out a 12k loan for the thing in which will end up owing him 17k after he pays all the interest..as for the logic in that part of the equation let alone owning a supercharged car at his age you be the judge.
On the other hand another mate bought an na 33 before he got his licence around the same time as me, cops it from everyone 'ahaha nice NON TURBO skyline you douche' still a nice car, gets a little cop attention but as you would. he says about our mate with the vx 'whats so special about him why does he get to have a high powered car, i did the right thing, i got the na, could have easily got a turbo one but im waiting for my chance' although id rather his car over the vx, i guess the legal factor plays alot to do with things these days. I'd say at the end of the day even he says it the way he drives that if it was turbo, he would be dead.

As for buying houses, now days i would much rather put my money towards a house than continuing modding up my car but i guess you live you learn...these days im starting to get over the whole modified car thing and would much prefer a standard car anyday...like my old man says about guys his age with done up cars 'when will he ever grow up' i guess its just the mind set of those that continue to be the 'idiots'
thats the end of my 2 cents, basically if u wanna be cool and all that then try get away with it (you'll most likely get caught) if you want to have half a brain you'll wait your turn if you still feel the need for an overly powered car

Project: 2001 AU II Fairmont Silhouette | Optioned 17" Tickford wheels + Sports suspension | Tint

Weekender: 1989 NA II Fairlane - Rosewood | Standard (with functioning SLS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

Just remember gents, anyone can follow fashion, but it takes someone with real class and finesse to have Style.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #83
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
I'm not sure it's quite that clear cut Damo, I disagree.

-Young men will always engage in risk-taking behaviour, whether it's behind the wheel of a Hyundai Excel or a Holden Commodore.
-Not everyone can afford new "safe and sensible" FWD cars.
-Banning P-platers from RWDs is ridiculous. Why not just take the next step and make all P-platers drive Smart cars?
-Cars from the 60s and 70s ARE cool!
-If people want to "waste" money on cars, it's their choice. They earned it, they can spend it as they like.
Amen brother
Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #84
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF-640
ill bring up an example here, mate of mine who basically rules everything down to the 'look how cool i am' factor bought himself a charged vx calais
Haha, one of my mates bought a VY supercharged on his P's, serioulsy that motor even S/C is still a dog box and after a tune its only a tad quicker than my xr6, 100% not worth the risk, he also fitted a pod filter so its got noisey induction, so more reason for the cops to want to look under the bonnet.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #85
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Wow this thread got way more attention than I thought it was going to get...

Power to weight is probably the most sensible way of restricting...
Example of why banning V8's and turbos are inaccurate (very unrealistic - but example...)

2006 BMW M3 Coupe (6cyl naturally aspirated) 252kw would be P-plate legal
1987 Rover 3500 Hatch (8Cyl naturally aspirated) 108kw would be banned
1997 Suzuki Cappuccino (4cyl turbo) 47kw would be banned

Unrealistic example - perhaps... but what I am proving is banning V8s and Turbos is pointless when you they can go and buy a 200kw camry FFS...

Power to weight does not discriminate against induction/capacity/cylinders...
Set the bar (which used to be 125kw per tonne) or lower it to 100kw/tonne...

As previous posts have said - P platers can be lethal in anything... you can still crash a KC Laser... it might take a while to max it out to be stupid in it - but it can be done...

Better training - and a more realistic approach to life for the Gen Ys would help... a lot of them need a good kick up the preverbial... and that goes for their driving, their customer service, their attitude...

Where I come from - you earn your respect... and work for what you have...

Maybe I'm old fashioned... but I was born in the 1980's and thats how I was brought up...
Old 08-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #86
Zero_PSI
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
P platers are really learner drivers that are allowed to go solo. they still have a lot of learning to do and should be restricted in what they drive untill they learn a bit more.
I'll put it in perspective you can get a private pilots licence in a few months but they restrict what you can fly because you are still learning, would you like a novice pilot flying a 747 or an FA18?
I'm expecting all the "hard done by " and "discriminated against" P platers to scream , rant and carry on about my comments but the fact is under 25s and P platers are over represented in our road toll statistics. if they were just killing themself I'd say they knew the risks but they often take out inocent victims as well

It's simple really , P plates = no turbo no V8
I cant agree with this more. And you dony realise how unexperienced you were till you get older. Im still on p's thanks to speed cameras but after 4 years im still learning
Old 08-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #87
chris11726

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Wow this thread got way more attention than I thought it was going to get...

Power to weight is probably the most sensible way of restricting...
Example of why banning V8's and turbos are inaccurate (very unrealistic - but example...)

2006 BMW M3 Coupe (6cyl naturally aspirated) 252kw would be P-plate legal
1987 Rover 3500 Hatch (8Cyl naturally aspirated) 108kw would be banned
1997 Suzuki Cappuccino (4cyl turbo) 47kw would be banned

Unrealistic example - perhaps... but what I am proving is banning V8s and Turbos is pointless when you they can go and buy a 200kw camry FFS...

Power to weight does not discriminate against induction/capacity/cylinders...
Set the bar (which used to be 125kw per tonne) or lower it to 100kw/tonne...

As previous posts have said - P platers can be lethal in anything... you can still crash a KC Laser... it might take a while to max it out to be stupid in it - but it can be done...

Better training - and a more realistic approach to life for the Gen Ys would help... a lot of them need a good kick up the preverbial... and that goes for their driving, their customer service, their attitude...

Where I come from - you earn your respect... and work for what you have...

Maybe I'm old fashioned... but I was born in the 1980's and thats how I was brought up...
I agree with what your saying BUT

Power to weight is just too hard to enforce.

It's much easier to just ban all v8's and turbo's. And realistically yes it may inconvenience the one person in Victoria that drives a v8 rover and favor the bloke on his p's with an M3 but it's just bad luck.

By the way, try getting some insurance for your M3 and a P plater.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #88
Zero_PSI
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
why do you care if people get a loan for there first car? Big deal. When I was 19 and on my green p's I got a loan for my second car. But I was on 80k a year at 19 so what's so stupid about getting loan for car? I'd get a house too but I'm waiting for my gf to finish uni so we will both be on decent money before getting into debt for hundreds and thousands of dollars.
Im with you. I just got a loan on my ba. Im planning onbhaving this car alot longer than my ef and im waiting for the misus to finish uni. Im on 50k a year
Old 08-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #89
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Who cares....just drive the bloody thing.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #90
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote of the century has to be from this morning on Ch 9 when an interviewee who specialised in adolescence stated:

Teenagers' brains are still developing so basically the are just not right in the head.

Not that there is any evidence of this on AFF..........
Closed Thread