Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #61
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why does the Falcon struggle to sell?

Reasons ;
- Ford's marketing, advertising & public relations is second rate compared to most other brands.
- Dealer aftercare is second rate compared to most other brands (Holden isn't much better).
- Resale value is perceived as being a bit weaker than say, Holden.
Personally, I would have thought Ford's sales should have skyrocketed with the introduction of the Miami motor/ combo..... but this doesn't seem to have occurred. Maybe the big car "enthusiast market" is gradually diminishing ???
Old 18-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #62
rev-head
Starter Motor

have to agree peter
Old 18-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #63
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Funny how someone who would use 38l in their username has a right to comment on being cool. Is a V8 too manly for you?

The 3.8 was a heap of junk, one of the roughest, most unrefined boat anchors ever made. Like a washing machine full of spanners.
i agree the 3.8 litre v6 was crap. My first car had one.
For the last 5 years i have owned a v8.
Old 18-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #64
BREEZEMONT
Registered Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
Reasons ;
- Ford's marketing, advertising & public relations is second rate compared to most other brands.
Yeah I agree 100% on this In country vic here you will see over 20 adverts a day for holdems products & ford maybe 2-3 I kid you not, went to melb for a few days 3mths ago & watched some day time telly in hospital & I was like WTF wheres the FPV adds etc up at home?! I'm still yet to see the coyote FPV advert advertised up here okay the closest FPV dealer is 230kms away but still GET the product out there & KNOWN!!

Even if they go into a ford dealer ship to try a lower base model you might just hook one more sale from the walk in!!!

the other thing is that when Geoff Polites left for Europe they SCRAPPED all the major plans that would have put them ahead instead of behind 5yrs, BA II was supposed to have LHD option to start exporting to middle east possibly states etc, along with LWB models (also why didn't they ever get the balls to offer a Boss Motor combo along the G220 lines I'll never know), territory & BA II was supposed to have v6 diesel from jag / land rover at the same time instead they axed off these programs & 5yrs+ down the track they decide he was right!!

The crew cab ute evaluation okay so tooling up for it would've sold only another 50-100k units over a 3-4 life span but you'd thing built on the wagon platform that would've been a win with another 100K vehicles sold?!

Even the LPG option why the 5yrs lag behind the industry? they could've have sequential vapor for the past 4 yrs & now liquid injection still on the horizon its a case of **** poor decisions one after the other.

Then when sales are slipping its a case of "quick save some cash & cut advertising even more!!"

it's bordering on an imbecilic game of catch up when they could've been leading strongly again.....

My 2c..
Old 18-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #65
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I fail to try and understand this anymore. The price onroad at the mo for a auto XR6 is the same as the base fleet price i paid for my manual EL XR before onroads and without options. What a absolutely fantastic car for the money. I am coming to the conclusion the world is just plain stupid and there is no logic or justice.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 18-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #66
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

FG2 will have new features etc, but the FG lacks equipment in comparison to similair prices product.

I have an FG XR6T (fully loaded), and I just drove the new Mondeo Titanium Hatch in Turbo Diesel.

Feature for feature the Mondeo has a lot more equipment and technology - the XR6T is more expensive too .... Go figure.

My next car will be a Mondeo Titanium ... Maybe the Ecoboost version.
Old 18-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #67
glider

The dealers are a big problem, salespeople who show no interest or passion for their product.
I have recently been to several ford dealers in the eastern subs of Melb, unless you are prepared to offer the soul of your first born there is no follow up on the inquiry, I know that the sales people have to filter out the tyre kickers etc, but that's the job to follow up the leads.
Also i wish that every salesman would stop pulling out that yellow retail cost card, no one pays full, retail people shop around.
Old 18-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #68
BREEZEMONT
Registered Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
I fail to try and understand this anymore. The price onroad at the mo for a auto XR6 is the same as the base fleet price i paid for my manual EL XR before onroads and without options. What a absolutely fantastic car for the money. I am coming to the conclusion the world is just plain stupid and there is no logic or justice.

Its full of sheepeople mate don't believe it look at the last federal election...
Old 18-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #69
doktoravalanche

Falcon's don't sell because:
Perceived as company/fleet car
A lot of families want a trendy SUV
People perceive SUV’s to be safer
Most families don’t do big journey’s - therefore don’t need big 4litre
They are thirsty around town, petrol isn’t getting cheaper!
You can buy a brand new Focus/323 for low 20’s that’s all you need.
No direct benefit in buying Australian
Keeping up with neighbours – and they’ve got a bloody SUV!
Current colours do suck ( but that's not a real reason!)

It's not dealers, doddy as they are, they suck for most brands!
It's not quality! they're built well
It's not features or safety
They are priced well for what you get - very well even.
It's just not what people want - Nokia still makes hte best phone hardware but everyone wants an iphone.

It doesn't matter how good your product is if people don't want it!
Old 18-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #70
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
You wouldn't think that from reading some of the comments here...but I agree 100%.

Perhaps if people really understood what real 'value for money' was...there wouldn't be such an issue...apparently everyone wants everything for nothing or somewhere close to it.

The guy who wrote the article is a person who is either completely taking the **** or completely misinformed. You choose.

All that the OP has done has given his page more hits...so it appears right at the top of a google search...good job!

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez

Last edited by SEZ213; 18-06-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 18-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #71
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well from an AU point of view and looking at the graph, sales hit a peak with the AU downwards after it went to BA etc .
Just saying, from an unbiased point of view of course

Uk
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/login/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/login/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 18-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #72
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Yes, people just dont know much and tend to overlook the Falcon, the FG XR6's are fantastic value at the moment. The XR50's were even more so with the level of equipment in them, I just cannot understand how it took nearly a year to sell this limited series.
Old 18-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #73
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
Reasons ;
- Dealer aftercare is second rate compared to most other brands (Holden isn't much better).
- Resale value is perceived as being a bit weaker than say, Holden.
- Build quality
Personally, I would have thought Ford's sales should have skyrocketed with the introduction of the Miami motor/ combo..... but this doesn't seem to have occurred. Maybe the big car "enthusiast market" is gradually diminishing ???
Fixed for you.
Old 18-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #74
G6E Turbo 2

You can have the best product in the world and
not be able to sell it if you have a poor marketing strategy

Ford promote poorly, defend their position poorly and support poorly

Bloody shame really !!! The FG is a great product

If they really want to get themselves back in the game they need
a more agressive marketing dept , real good features with a difference
customer service and a 5 year warranty

After all if Hyundai can offer it why should Frod not do it
and be first for a change
Old 18-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #75
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWRDEF
Its full of sheepeople mate don't believe it look at the last federal election...
So you guys think the reason Falcon doesn't sell is because people are stupid?

Do you guys work for Ford PR?

XR6 is now $32,990 drive away with discounts and still they grow cobwebs...

Guys, it's not the price, never was - it's all perception and
until Ford changes that perception, nothing changes.

Last edited by jpd80; 18-06-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 18-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #76
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

Do you guys work for Ford PR?

XR6 is now $32,990 drive away with discounts and still they grow cobwebs...

Guys, it's not the price, never was - it's all perception and
until Ford changes that perception, nothing changes.
This is essentially what everyone has said... no one has mentioned price.
Its the buyers perception of the Falcon and the limited target market.
Essentially yes... some people are stupid and cant see a good product in front of them and will just buy what everyone elses buy instead of doing some of their own research

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 18-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #77
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it probably does`nt help that they canned the wagon and the rtv, the pursuit, egas? there is also a bit more competition to choose from with the mondeo the territory, etc.
Old 18-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #78
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
I think that translated into nah nah nah can't hear you. Which ironically is what Ford executives, with the odd exception have been doing to the Falcons market share and the issues it represented for years.

Falcon is an honest car, let down by a corporate culture that says burning through customers is ok, as long as their is a sucker ready to forgive and and forget for the next product cycle. It worked in the 70s so why not now? Problem is its getting harder to find people like willing to do that and even the faithful are questioning why its a good idea that their Falcon is going back for the third warranty claim and why can't they just build the cars better.

Fords answer won't be to fix the culture or the product, but to import instead.

The Ford faithful when then justify that product and its low market share.

Rinse and repeat.

I'm not tired of Falcon, but I am tired of some people on here pretending it doesn't have issues thanks to the corporate culture of those who make it. Maybe if we had all said enough years ago, Ford wouldn't have allowed Falcon and the Ford dealer network to get in the mess it is now.

People are not making bad stuff up about their experiences with Falcon and Territory and even if you thought that, the overwhelming amount of comments on these forums over many years is hard evidence you got it wrong.

FG is unquestionably the best Falcon ever made. A couple more grand spent on materials and finish and a commitment to a culture at Ford that puts customers first would make it an excellent, world class product. So my questions is why isn't that happening, instead of excusing Ford for dropping the ball?
Dan
Fact is, all other marques have the exact same issues; I'm not surprised you've gone to these extremes to discredit Ford because you hardly do anything else here.

Have a look into what the new car climate is like and you might get an idea of why Falcon's not selling. Falcon is not a global vehicle, nearly every other car is and that alone is a major disadvantage - technologies and updates don't come as quickly as you'd like. Economies of scale and no viability in a small cut-throat market for greater budgets aren't any help, either. With a screen so small it's to see the bigger picture, isn't it.

Reality check. The fact that you're on one of the biggest forums in Australia, which is product based, you will find that if there is a problem with said product you will certainly read about it. That is normal. It's a shame you can't find the same with other brands.
Old 18-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #79
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Maybe it's not the reason why Falcon isn't selling but there is a huge chunk of our society that is incredibly and suprisingly stupid.
Old 18-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #80
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
it probably does`nt help that they canned the wagon and the rtv, the pursuit, egas? there is also a bit more competition to choose from with the mondeo the territory, etc.
They only canned the models that were not selling.

If they were not selling when they were available how can making them not available reduce sales........
Old 18-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #81
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
FG is unquestionably the best Falcon ever made. A couple more grand spent on materials and finish and a commitment to a culture at Ford that puts customers first would make it an excellent, world class product. So my questions is why isn't that happening, instead of excusing Ford for dropping the ball?
Dan
Exactly. It's so close...a little extra work and what is now a good car could have been a truly great car.

It's not use ignoring the stuff like an unpainted rusty looking engine, thin paint, and other little cheap touches like grab handles that slap back into place with no soft-close and plasticy interiors not befitting some of the prestige models they put them in...they exist in new Falcons and are a problem. They don't have to be there. For a small number of dollars per car they could all be fixed. However Ford doesn't do it.

Maybe the question shouldn't be why Falcons don't sell...it should be why do people they have been sold to, people who spend up to $50,000+ on a new Falcon, find reasons to complain about it in such numbers? They paid good money for an Australian car, and it peeves them to see even cheap Korean runabouts with better thought put into interior fittings and paint quality.
Old 18-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #82
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Exactly. It's so close...a little extra work and what is now a good car could have been a truly great car.

It's not use ignoring the stuff like an unpainted rusty looking engine, thin paint, and other little cheap touches like grab handles that slap back into place with no soft-close and plasticy interiors not befitting some of the prestige models they put them in...they exist in new Falcons and are a problem. They don't have to be there. For a small number of dollars per car they could all be fixed. However Ford doesn't do it.

Maybe the question shouldn't be why Falcons don't sell...it should be why do people they have been sold to, people who spend up to $50,000+ on a new Falcon, find reasons to complain about it in such numbers? They paid good money for an Australian car, and it peeves them to see even cheap Korean runabouts with better thought put into interior fittings and paint quality.
Oh dear lord, AGAIN? If you're not happy with it - SELL IT!

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 18-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #83
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

If they were not selling when they were available how can making them not available reduce sales........
point taken , you have to wonder though if the terri and mondeo was`nt available and at least the wagon was back up and running how sales would fare.
Old 19-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #84
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, I won't "sell it"...I just happen to be a car enthusiast, not a blinded-by-the-badge Ford only enthusiast.

I'll be bringing up a few little issues at the first service such as the appalingly thin paint, but we still love the car and think the styling is, as said above somewhere, classy and "subtle" rather than in your face like the VE. It's smooth, powerful, handles well, and has a lot of very good features. I won't say we couldn't be happier...we're close to happy, but a few things let it down. We wanted a large six cylinder sedan, don't really like front wheel drives, so it was down to Commodore or Falcon. Falcon had the best trade in deal, but it was a very close thing.

But I'm afraid I'm not going to simply overlook the little problems when I've spent so much on it. They simply shouldn't exist in a car worth that much. The badge says "50th anniversary"...one would think after half a century screwing falcons together they'd have a passing knowledge of quality control.

Ford needs to get their QA problems sorted, and start really pushing the Falcon in advertising...stop relying on badge-blind people who can be relied on to simply buy whatever they chuck together and stick on the showroom floor simply because the badge says "Falcon". Give people a reason to go into thier dealership and give them a reason not to consider a couple of different makes as well as the Falcon. Make a car that makes it the obvious, if not the only choice, in the large sedan range.
It would only take a little more effort in the factory and some real spending on advertising, and they'd be there.
Old 19-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #85
James_bf
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Went shopping for a Falcon today. Didn't know whether I wanted an XR6 or a G6. Visited 3 dealerships and NONE had a G6 demonstrator I could look at. All pushed the XR6.
When I asked them about curtain airbags, was told the XR6 didn't come with them, and couldn't be offered at the current price (I didn't mind paying extra for them). No interest in talking about cars other than "standard" XR6.
They all come with space saver spares. No interest in optioning a real spare either. And the boot liner needs to be changed to fit one!
With all the advertising about curtain airbags for safety, you'd think they would build some with the airbags.
Maybe they are building the wrong mix of options, some of us might want a little extra, or different
Old 19-06-2011, 01:36 AM   #86
Zero_PSI
Banned

Answer to the thread title.

Because they're homo
Old 19-06-2011, 03:51 AM   #87
prydey
Rob

i've noticed there is a handful of members whose sole contribution to the forums is to condemn ford at every oportunity!!
Old 19-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #88
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Which other models are now not selling? Irony.... it would be a MASSIVE loss if it ever happened though.
Old 19-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #89
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
No, I won't "sell it"...I just happen to be a car enthusiast, not a blinded-by-the-badge Ford only enthusiast.

I'll be bringing up a few little issues at the first service such as the appalingly thin paint, but we still love the car and think the styling is, as said above somewhere, classy and "subtle" rather than in your face like the VE. It's smooth, powerful, handles well, and has a lot of very good features. I won't say we couldn't be happier...we're close to happy, but a few things let it down. We wanted a large six cylinder sedan, don't really like front wheel drives, so it was down to Commodore or Falcon. Falcon had the best trade in deal, but it was a very close thing.

But I'm afraid I'm not going to simply overlook the little problems when I've spent so much on it. They simply shouldn't exist in a car worth that much. The badge says "50th anniversary"...one would think after half a century screwing falcons together they'd have a passing knowledge of quality control.

Ford needs to get their QA problems sorted, and start really pushing the Falcon in advertising...stop relying on badge-blind people who can be relied on to simply buy whatever they chuck together and stick on the showroom floor simply because the badge says "Falcon". Give people a reason to go into thier dealership and give them a reason not to consider a couple of different makes as well as the Falcon. Make a car that makes it the obvious, if not the only choice, in the large sedan range.
It would only take a little more effort in the factory and some real spending on advertising, and they'd be there.
I think four threads dedicated to the 'problems' with your car are plenty...you're starting to sound like a broken record.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 19-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #90
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Change of Perception starts with new product:

1. SZ Territory RWD in I-6 and diesel will change people's opinion of the big Ford SUV

2. Eco LPI I-6 Falcon gives Ford a huge edge in securing fleet orders ahead of 3.0 SIDI Omega

3. New Focus is full of technology, diverting attention away form Cruze and back to Ford.

4. New T6 Ranger will take the fight to Hilux, "Australian designed" is a huge plus to win sales

5. Ecoboost Falcon is aimed primarily at people who want something different to Falcadore or a Camry fridge.

6. New Escape/Kuga will finally give Ford an up to date small SUV to compete with.

If Ford fails to capitalise on all of those new products and advertise their heads off,
then surely they and their dealer network deserve all that will come from that ineptness...

Holden and Toyota have nothing like that amount of product launches planned,
so let's hope that Ford turns tall that gloom around into something really special....

Last edited by jpd80; 19-06-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Closed Thread