Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #61
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: 2010 FG XR6 Write off, Questions. =(

It was probably repairable till the rear end damage was done... Anything is fixable it all comes down to $$$.. Whats it insured for, replacement or mv... 2010 XR6 - market value is approx $22 kay... Would cost at least 10 kay to repair the front, if not a touch more if the firewall is bad, rear is probably another $2500 to cut and re weld a new quarter / rear bar / paint... They will probably get around $5 - $6 kay salvage for it so its going to be close I would say.

Either way your probably going to lose out.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 04-04-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #62
K93George

They still haven't assessed my car and it has been with them for 18 days now!

If it is a write off, I get a replacement which is well worth it. It is insured for 27k but a new vehicle would be the way to go, what do you guys think?

Would I get a MK2 model? That front grill is real aggresive and not to mention the projector headlights =)
K93George is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #63
K93George

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
So whats the verdict?

Has the rear damage happened while in AAMI's possession.?? More reason to tell them you want a cheque or a new car.
I doubt it, one thing I remember at the accident is that the tail light cover fell off, is it possible the impact did that?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #64
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Taillight cover maybe, but not the damage to the rear quarter (unless the other car hit it there somehow).

You will get a new Mk 2 or possibly a Mk1 Limited Edition as thats pretty much all that is left, which is a win either way.

You need to get aggressive with them and tell them you need the vehicle sorted asap. Tell them your going to the insurance ombudsman and department of fair trade as they are dragging their feet.

Have a look in your paperwork for claims service information. 18 days is ridiculous, they could have nearly had it repaired by now.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #65
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my Territory repaired by AAMI after someone t-boned me at a roundabout, The car was 14 months old and AAMI decided to pay 16k repairing the vehicle rather than pay me out the 35k it was insured for. Don't get me wrong, they did a fantastic job to the point that you would never have known it was ever repaired unless you knew what to look for. The point is, if they have to pay you out such a large sum of cash, they will be trying their hardest to repair it first.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #66
K93George

Yeah I agree with you Gobes32, they are going to be trying there hardest to repair it. I just have to be a bit more aggresive with them. I haven't pushed them at all :/
Old 04-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #67
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope it works out for you mate, car accidents are a terrible thing. Just keep up the pressure to them as ultimately you are at at the assessors mercy........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #68
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by K93George
As I promised, the photos!

I am not too sure why the back is damaged like that, I believe I was hit on the front quater panel.
I think you would need photo's of the scene to prove that the rear was not in the accident damaged there. (I could even have been damaged by the Tow Truck.)

Either way the assessor will look at the car in the holding yard and report on what he see's there.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #69
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They still haven't assessed my car and it has been with them for 18 days now!
And here is the problem. AAMI assessment can takes weeks if not months, they just don't care even if your car is a non driver. Sure they make you feel warm and fuzzy and give you a cheap policy, but it's when you need them the most they let you down.

From what I can tell in the pictures and you're saying it's insured for 27K, I wouldn't think it's a write off. Damage to firewall? How so? The quater damage is pretty disappointiong and I bet you'll have an uphill battle with that aspect also as everyone will wash their hands of it.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #70
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

So who was on the roundabout first? You or the other guy?

If it was you, you were not at fault.
If it was the other guy, you were at fault.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #71
K93George

The towie and the police officer called it a write off, not that there word matters I guess.

AAMI told me that from the reports they have gotten it appears to be a write off but I won't know untill the assessor has a look. The suspension has been extensively damaged from what I have been told and the subframe has been compromised. The suspension damage alone will make it a write off.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #72
topgear
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
so you crashed without airbags and were uninjured, yet you DON'T want to own a car like that? from your description, it sounds like a godsend that the airbags didn't deploy!

an airbag deployment is not a soft cushioning pillow. they deploy at the speed of sound and hit you like a steel fist. (often breaking noses). Airbags were designed for stupid yanks who refused to wear seatbelts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
Answering the original question, no the airbags should not have deployed if there was a risk of hitting the dash or steering wheel the bags would have deployed. Don't be fooled to think airbags are nice, soft fluffy cushions, they are a violent explosion.
Whilst we're on the subject, anyone have passengers who love to put their feet on the dash, where an airbag may be? I bet no one here has the reaction time to avoid a crash that will fire off the airbags and your passenger will be wearing their ankles around thier ears...in a bad way! Broken legs and hips!
Agree with both. Airbags are explosives ready to be detonated. They will be deployed and retracted within a fraction of second. Not like in one of the Hollywood movies where hero uses a knife to deflate airbag... lol Airbags are considered explosives and is required to have special license to store airbags. Its illegal to collect airbags and store them. No issues as long as they are fitted in the car.

One of my friends had bumped into a car at the front and the airbag deployed which is a good thing. But the bad thing is the explosion wasn't controlled. There was a big burn mark on the jeans on his left thigh. Jean absorbed all the heat otherwise he would have burnt his thigh. He could feel the heat on his jean for about 15mins.

All am saying is we are driving with controlled explosives fitted in dash and steering, etc,. No one would want to put their legs or mess around with them. I see lot of people especially women sitting very close to steering wheel or leaning on to them... they would injure themselves badly not because of accident but because of airbag deployment.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #73
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What month of 2010 is the car?

You should get new for old replacement up to 2 years old with AAMI.

Which = WIN!!!
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #74
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The towie and the police officer called it a write off, not that there word matters I guess.

The suspension has been extensively damaged from what I have been told and the subframe has been compromised. The suspension damage alone will make it a write off.
You're right, the Police wouldn't hve a clue, but insurance companies will get advice from a towie.

Suspension is nothing to get repaired these days. In the last few weeks, we've had several cars getting suspension removed and repaired. It's not a big deal, 'K' frames unbolt easily and get replaced, same with diffs or beam rears.

Everything is repairable, just comes down to dollars.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #75
K93George

Ok guys, the car has officially been deemed a total loss.
They offered to pay me the agreed value and I declined, refering back to the policy that allows me to get a new vehicle.
They state my 2010 vehicle is over 2 years old, originally registered Jan 2010.

I asked how she knew this, I was told they don't but are assuming, I said well in that case, I assume this was registered Dec 2010.
She said it won't matter because my car has been financed and they will pay off the financer first.
I refered back to the policy which states I can get authority from the financer and get a replacement vehicle.

She simply told me to wait for a call from the total loss team.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #76
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They offered to pay me the agreed value and I declined, refering back to the policy that allows me to get a new vehicle.

I asked how she knew this, I was told they don't but are assuming, I said well in that case, I assume this was registered Dec 2010.
She said it won't matter because my car has been financed and they will pay off the financer first.
I refered back to the policy which states I can get authority from the financer and get a replacement vehicle.

When was the car first registered? You need to chase it up with Ford and get some proof because if it was later in the year then you need to make sure they give you a replacement (which is worth more then 27 kay!).

Do you have the build month of the car, if thats after April 2010 you've already won your case.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #77
K93George

I will need to chase it up, they are obviously going to try and give me the cash which i don't want. I'm not stressing too much about it, seems like an easy case to win.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #78
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try ringing the dealer with the VIN number off your rego certificate.

They should be able to tell you the build date I think?

Dash?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #79
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
Try ringing the dealer with the VIN number off your rego certificate.

They should be able to tell you the build date I think?

Dash?
Or call 13FORD. They have it on the system too!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #80
K93George

Thanks guys, i'm at work currently... I'll chase it up when I get the chance, is 13FORD number just within business hours..?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #81
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Typically yes.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #82
K93George

Ok, i'll get in contact with them early in the morning before I head off to work. Hopefully I get a new car =) I really don't want to go looking for one again...
Old 04-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #83
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey just rereading and it occurred the renewal date on your rego should dictate when it was first registered, therefore starting the clock on your 2 year window. As long as it didn't change state or get reregistered for any reason.

As long as you haven't had to renew your rego yet this year you should be ok, or if you had it could be the result of some 6 month periods
Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #84
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:

Good on you for standing up for your rights!

It is very ordinary that they tried to give you agreed value instead of replacement. Then when that didn't work tried the we'll pay the finance people you won't see a cent. Then when that didn't work, we'll call you back...

PS So, what colour will the new FG2 be?!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #85
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure you go off first registered date not build date. As far as you know, it may have sat around dealer land for six months putting you behind.

Fight it dude, AAMI deserve a decent fight!
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #86
K93George

Thanks guys, I am certainly not going to back down. AAMI have shafted enough folk. I've read the policy, the fine print, all of it. I am also recording all conversation with them. If worse comes to worse that will undo them. I ended the call with the lady who offered the agreed value saying "Thanks, I look forward to arranging my replacement vehicle with the total loss team".

I've been very polite but firm, I haven't used any threats or showed any indication that I will pursue the matter further. Tomorrow morning i will find out when my car was first registered. Then I'll get in touch with the total loss team myself.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #87
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to hear about your accident, and also sorry to hear you have the burden of having to fight it out with AAMI.. every claim is a fight with them.

I had been in your position with an apparent total loss, and it took 17 days to get anywhere. When they finally came to me declaring it a total loss and offering 7 grand less than the agreed value, I demanded my agreed value or the car be repaired. However, the car had been flogged off at Pickles 2 days after the collision so I was never getting an option anyway. (they work a bit quicker than you think when it's in their interest).

But when threatened with the prospect of losing my entire family's business (13 car policies and 6 home and contents), I got my agreed $19,000 without question.

Anyway that's my rant, my point is, keep on their back MULTIPLE times per day otherwise your decisions will be made for you by them and they wont be to your liking.

All the best and hope to see this thread end with a shiny new FG picture!

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #88
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One other thing that I think is a bit of a rort is that your insurance will be extinguished by this claim. Doesn't matter if you paid the renewal 2 days before the accident. So remember to budget for another years worth (perhaps not AAMI ) when you get the new vehicle
Old 04-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #89
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Thanks guys, I am certainly not going to back down. AAMI have shafted enough folk. I've read the policy, the fine print, all of it. I am also recording all conversation with them. If worse comes to worse that will undo them. I ended the call with the lady who offered the agreed value saying "Thanks, I look forward to arranging my replacement vehicle with the total loss team".

I've been very polite but firm, I haven't used any threats or showed any indication that I will pursue the matter further. Tomorrow morning i will find out when my car was first registered. Then I'll get in touch with the total loss team myself.
Well done. You've handled yourself well.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #90
K93George

A little update guys, I couldn't get much sleep as I was concerned my car might actually be over 2 years old. After some digging around I found some documentation from the dealer... My new car warranty expires 29/07/2013

Now after some research, it appears the warranty starts when the car is first registered. Being that today is 4/04/2012 that would mean my vehicle has another 3 months before it ticks over to 2 years old.

I will be contacting the total loss department first thing tomorrow, I have already scanned the document and highlighted points of there policy that will help me get my replacement vehicle. The only thing I haven't covered is the finance company, I will get in contact with them and get authority to use a new vehicle as security for the loan.

They will want to accept as if they get paid out, they lose out on the interest that would have been gained from the full loan and secondly, the new car will be worth more, so it would be in there interest to have me fail to pay back the loan.