Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #61
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driving laws you may not know you're breaking

One law I'm sure nobody knows about ( in SA at least) is that when driving on a dual lane carriageway that has a posted speed limit of 80km or more, you can only use the right lane for passing slower vehicles. I live in the sticks and when I drive to Adelaide I get so annoyed with all the morons that sit in the right lane, not doing the speed limit. They hold me up when there are multiple cars or make me pass on the left. Apparently a rear view mirror full of bullbar only makes them use both lanes (OOPS just broke a law). One trip back from Adelaide I was stuck behind 2 side by side cars from Gawler to nearly Daveyston. Both sitting on 95-100. When I finally passed the black honda still in the right lane I moved into the right lane and slowed to 80. He pulled into the left lane, overtook me and got straight back into the right lane. The no of broken rules were balanced as he shook his fist at me and yelled something easily understandable. I undertook him again and gave him a healthy smile. Felt like pushing him into a tree!
1,2,3,4 breathe in, breathe out aaahhh
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11361067

Last edited by DJM83; 27-05-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Swear filter is there for a reason.
GTB 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #62
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB 351
One law I'm sure nobody knows about ( in SA at least) is that when driving on a dual lane carriageway that has a posted speed limit of 80km or more, you can only use the right lane for passing slower vehicles. I live in the sticks and when I drive to Adelaide I get so annoyed with all the morons that sit in the right lane, not doing the speed limit. They hold me up when there are multiple cars or make me pass on the left. Apparently a rear view mirror full of bullbar only makes them use both lanes (OOPS just broke a law). One trip back from Adelaide I was stuck behind 2 side by side cars from Gawler to nearly Daveyston. Both sitting on 95-100. When I finally passed the black honda still in the right lane I moved into the right lane and slowed to 80. He pulled into the left lane, overtook me and got straight back into the right lane. The no of broken rules were balanced as he shook his fist at me and yelled something easily understandable. I undertook him again and gave him a healthy smile. Felt like pushing him into a tree!
1,2,3,4 breathe in, breathe out aaahhh
Pretty sure that is Australia wide nearly... and it applies here in QLD.
Big signs on dual lane highways also tell people to keep left unless over taking... so there is no excuse, its just people are ignorant.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....

Last edited by DJM83; 27-05-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Quoted post
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #63
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't say ignorant. Most people are aware of the rule. They just don't care.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #64
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Pretty sure that is Australia wide nearly... and it applies here in QLD.
Big signs on dual lane highways also tell people to keep left unless over taking... so there is no excuse, its just people are ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I wouldn't say ignorant. Most people are aware of the rule. They just don't care.
Judging by posts on this thread, I say most don't know so I'll post the actual rule for Queensland:
Quote:
LINK
When the speed limit is 90 km/h or more on multi-lane roads, you must not drive in the right-hand lane unless you are:

overtaking
turning right
making a U-turn
avoiding an obstacle
driving in congested traffic.

It is an offence to drive in the right lane if none of the above criteria are occurring.

This rule also applies to a road with a speed limit of 80 km/h or less, if there is a KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING sign.

Drivers are allowed to overtake on the left on all multi-lane roads.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #65
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Judging by posts on this thread, I say most don't know so I'll post the actual rule for Queensland:

The QLD Transport website is actually wrong.... and im not ignorant.

Quote:
130 Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road
(1) This section applies to a driver driving on a multi-lane road
if—
(a) the speed limit applying to the driver for the length of
road where the driver is driving is over 80km/h; or
(b) a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of
road where the driver is driving.
The rule applies to ANY road ABOVE 80KMH.... not 90KMH as stated in the refresher course.

Old 24-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #66
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep it civil
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #67
Dave3911

Umm, no Jim, the website is right. Your reading the law wrong.

"(a) the speed limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80km/h; or"

The next speed zone over 80km/hr is 90km/hr. There is no 81, 82 , 83 etc. km/hr zone. If, hypothetically, they existed, it would apply there. But the next possible speed zone above 80 is 90.

So it applies to 90km/hr and above, it's not inclusive of the 80km/hr zone.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #68
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911
Umm, no Jim, the website is right. Your reading the law wrong.

"(a) the speed limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80km/h; or"

The next speed zone over 80km/hr is 90km/hr. There is no 81, 82 , 83 etc. km/hr zone. If, hypothetically, they existed, it would apply there. But the next possible speed zone above 80 is 90.

So it applies to 90km/hr and above, it's not inclusive of the 80km/hr zone.
God almighty..... seriously.... YES I KNOW THE NEXT SPEED LIMIT IS 90KMH...

The law states in black and white... ABOVE 80KMH.... That is WHAT IS WRITTEN.... I dont care that the next speed limit is 90kmh...

When the law was introduced and advertised on TV all those years ago, the add said... at speeds above 80kmh... yes great it infers 90kmh because that can only be the next posted limit.... well done

Old 24-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #69
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper8
my wife's horse didnt take kindly to the 7/16th drill bit inthe *** cheeks when i try'd to put the tail lights on

Use glue!
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #70
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last warning, keep it civil or there will be holidays.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #71
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper8
my wife's horse didnt take kindly to the 7/16th drill bit inthe *** cheeks when i try'd to put the tail lights on

Nice One!
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #72
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
the shcool zone is a no brainer for most people, you know when you are close to the start of school day or end without needing to look at a clock ,if you told me that as an excuse after running over a kid in front of my eyes id flog you before cops ever got near ,Pathetic realy,it scares me to think people dont take extra care anywhere near a school, same goes for bus stops (you as a normal human know kids do things without realising the danger so i always expect a kid to walk or run from in front and behind a bus and slow right down just in case.

The backwards state of S.A have closed the loophole about speed limits and times around schools....The signs now read, X kilometres when children present. Saves all the debate about what time it actually is.

Oh and yes, always expect a kid to bolt out at the most unexpected time. Unfortunately the stupid driving instructors fail to teach new drivers to watch from fence line to fence line....Just watch the space immediately in front of your car.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #73
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
The backwards state of S.A have closed the loophole about speed limits and times around schools....The signs now read, X kilometres when children present. Saves all the debate about what time it actually is.

Oh and yes, always expect a kid to bolt out at the most unexpected time. Unfortunately the stupid driving instructors fail to teach new drivers to watch from fence line to fence line....Just watch the space immediately in front of your car.
i slow down and cover my brakes anywhere anytime when it comes to the random little runts...

classic when im rumbling down my own street and the local kids pleee for skids.. nooooo chance....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #74
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

The law states in black and white... ABOVE 80KMH.... That is WHAT IS WRITTEN.... I dont care that the next speed limit is 90kmh...
I'm Curious Jim, whats' your point about the website being wrong?
I wasn't implying that you're ignorant....really, and sorry if it seemed that way.

Reading legal documents, standards and codes of practice most days gets me thinking
that it's possible sometimes to see things differently to what's actually meant...

Quote:
When the law was introduced and advertised on TV all those years ago, the add said... at speeds above 80kmh... yes great it infers 90kmh because that can only be the next posted limit.... well done
Yes I remember that, perhaps the refresher is a tool to clarify what is meant by all of the terms for people who are not aware....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #75
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
i slow down and cover my brakes anywhere anytime when it comes to the random little runts...

classic when im rumbling down my own street and the local kids pleee for skids.. nooooo chance....

Sounds like you're from the ol' school of driving...Damn shame driving instructors don't teach the same thing....

As for the skids.....You wouldn't do that....it's breaking the law, which you wouldn't do. (or admit on here )

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #76
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI
Use glue!
I thought about the senco first fix.....two quick shots with 75 mm clipped head nails and that baby would never come off!

there are also a couple of other laws still floating around

one states that there must be a device installed at all ale sales establishments in order to tie up the horse

another that a person shall proceed ahead of a carriage or motorised vehicle carrying a lamp in order to warn the public

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #77
Dave3911

Quote:

So... how exactly is the website wrong again?
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #78
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige

This is a good habit to get into. People should slow down whenever there are children around the side of the road because you never know when they're going to suddenly run out in front of you. Same when you see balls or bikes or toys in front yards... even if the kid is not playing with them he might be around somewhere, ready to jump out in front of you. Better safe than sorry.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #79
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Two bits I don't get:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
maximum penalty of 20 penalty units
What the hell is a "penalty unit"?

Quote:
ASo no burnouts and keep the One Direction at a reasonable level.
What do they mean by one direction? You can crank you stereo loud while heading north but not south?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #80
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Two bits I don't get:

What the hell is a "penalty unit"?

What do they mean by one direction? You can crank you stereo loud while heading north but not south?
Its the way they apply a penatly to an offence. This means the law doesnt have to be re-written with inflation.

Ie, in NSW 1 penalty unit is $110.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #81
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Legally a pushbike is a motor vehicle but it doesn't have a motor. I'm sure a pushbike can get a speeding fine . All I could see in common betwen it and a 'car' is circular wheels in contact with the road. The rider isn't exactly part of the pushbike.
A guy on a pushy got fined in WA recently for doing 50 something in a school zone..... Cant remember the fine

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #82
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey
Its the way they apply a penatly to an offence. This means the law doesnt have to be re-written with inflation.

Ie, in NSW 1 penalty unit is $110.
Ahh ok, makes sense.
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #83
XR8fordCHICK
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Does a horse need to be registered to run on the road? And does one need a rider's license to operate a horse?
You need to have red and whites on the horse. how stupid is that.
XR8fordCHICK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #84
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What happens in schools zones, say, if your clock is out?

Is there a +/- allowance?
No .. I've been done at 8:58am. Zone finished at 0900am.
Old 24-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #85
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

In Victoria its 2:30pm to 4pm for school zones, in my little town we have a flashing LED sign which comes on during school zones.

Or you could just notice all the soccer mums in their SUVs and little kids on the side of the road, that also works.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #86
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
A 2008 amendment to the road rules.
New amendments (Feb 2012) updating the 2008 rules will be implemented in your jurisdiction soon/shortly. Changes within will then be passed into the driver-ed handbooks of each jurisdiction, in the usual way of things.
http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reports/ARRFeb12.pdf

RIS into these Feb 12 ARR amendments:-
http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Repo...PackageRIS.pdf

(One change relates to triangle placement by heavy vehicles).
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #87
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a great story about the splash mud law.

lets just say a cop got splashed with mud while doing radar speed check (on purpose)

something something something

guy gets busted for splashing mud on people at a bus stop.

cop returns shovel and bus stop sign to council depot.

ahahah
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #88
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
what happens if it was the bus that splashed the mud while picking up it's passengers ?
Death Penalty for the driver ... simple.
LOL
just kidding.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #89
MattsDisturbed
Bseries

I'm sure I've broken almost all of those rules at one time in my life, except for the horse one.

Check it out:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11336211
MattsDisturbed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #90
el_wagon

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2012/04/2...g-ban-ipswich/ I have also heard of being done for drink driving in a wheelchair and for drink driving for simply sitting in the drivers seat without even attempting to drive the vehicle.
el_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post