Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #61
98fex

Default Re: fuel mileage.....can you beat this

About 10 years ago i had a ZL fairlane I got about 800 ks out of a tank and I got 600Ks out my 98 explorer
98fex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #62
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf

I am just amazed at the economy of the large six......my normal running is around 7 - 9 litres per 100 which equates to around 500 to 600 kms per tank
My AU uses an extra litre or two more per 100Ks than the inlaws 4 potta hyundai thingy
Best part is i dont need to ring the big 6s neck to get it moving like i do with the hyundai
With the economy some are getting in the larger engined cars i dont understand what all this damn fuss is about how great 4 pottas are
Were only takin a few litres per hundred if that difference
Ill have the large car ,all day thanks
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #63
nstg8a

ive gotten as little as 180km from my fg, and just over 600 on a trip to gladstone a while back. but i took this on a recent b00stedfalcon cruise.

not a bad economy figure for the 'boatanchor' V8

id love to stick a fg 6 and zf in a ef/el ghia... would go like the clappers and be a real fuel miser as well i reckon.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #64
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
My AU uses an extra litre or two more per 100Ks than the inlaws 4 potta hyundai thingy
Best part is i dont need to ring the big 6s neck to get it moving like i do with the hyundai
With the economy some are getting in the larger engined cars i dont understand what all this damn fuss is about how great 4 pottas are
Were only takin a few litres per hundred if that difference
Ill have the large car ,all day thanks
I know, I read a review where they got over a 1000km out of a tank from a 3.0 SIDI Holden Berlina, I don't think some people realise how good a modern large car can be on fuel.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #65
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kms from a tank mean nothing unless you are comparing cars with the same size tank.
On that note I have done 1800kms on a single tank without trying.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #66
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we are all aware of the rough size of tank I am speaking about......given this is a Ford forum and I run a BA (I reckon the clue may be hidden in there somewhere)

we are also aware of how far we drain our tank in between fills and thereby know the rough kilometres gained between fills

those with long range tanks are cheating just a bit

my wife's Nissan micra is a shocker on fuel.......I would go as far as saying it uses more fuel on the open road than my ford at the very least it uses similar and nowhere near as comfortable

302XE I agree, although there are some very good, very comfortable and very economical 4's out there

but alas they wont pull my 1.8 tonne van?

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #67
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr
sorry guys, not a diesel either?
My Festiva got 4.9 to the ton driving to Brisbane. Wish I could find the card I was recording the trip consumption on... didn't have that fancy computer readout to take a picture of.

Typical consumption was 450km mostly city driving out of 32 litres (35L tank I think?) makes that (7.1 L per 100) and when driving to Bris I got to 630 km before filling up 31L as I was worried I would not reach the next station...

Very impressed.

Anyway... I know it's Diesel, but this was the best I have got on a trip:

Took a pic the next day for DTE:

954km range... and that was at with a little surburban driving thrown in.

It isn't hard to achieve official ratings... just got to be careful on your driving manner and have the car set up correctly.

There is an Aussie couple that hold several records for lowest fuel consumption... I remember reading an article on how they got under 5L per 100 in a Musso 4x4 diesel... smashing the factory figure!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #68
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pretty impressive!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 14-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #69
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
My crow cam stage 2 and exhausted and head size CAI 1998 AU Falcon Forte sedan lowered 70mm averaged about 1000 to a 68 litre tank with my friend and I in the car every time we went from adelaide to the gold coast in 2001 and 2002

best result 1175 km

six trips overall

worst it got was 955 km. no cruise control, speedo at 105 and taking foot off to coast into each town we reached. besides taking foot off, windows left up no A/C,
drove for 22 hours straight to get to miami caravan park on the GC

First stop for fuel was after going from virginia south Oz to cobar with 80 still on the DTE, refueled with three jerry cans then made it from there to G/C

so one fuel stop. only stopped that one time, engine off for only 15 mins did that three times in three months one year alone. love to drive

My AU1 XR6 VCT sedangets around 750 to 850, just CAI and exhaust
AU 1's (Forte and futura only) were the best falcon aerodynamically, you will never beat it for slipperyness at highway speeds! Amazing figures came out of them!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 01:47 AM   #70
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is my $0.02c worth.

Driving back to Darwin from Ipswitch via Sydney Adelaide and the Alice.

I was filling the car somewhere between 62 and 65 litres at each fill. Usually covered a minimum of 780 km. Best distance was 890 km for 65 litres. When filled the DTE said 917 km. At the time the car was standard except for CAI.

Vehicle has now been modified with 4480's, Hi Flow Cat and 2.5" sports system. Around town I get a minimum of 460 km up to a one off off 590 km (usually about 550 km). There was a lot of green lights that tank!

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #71
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

best i got from mine on 98-100 was about 900km but on 91-95 it averages about 700-800 and thats with a goddamn leaking intake manifold gaskit.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #72
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i reckon my AU sedan could quite easily get 900kms too tank!! 68 litre tank. drove 500km about 460km highway and used 39L sitting at the posted speed limit most of the way (100km/h) fastest i did was 120km/h. air con on and off. I laugh at people that say that my falcon must be heavy on fuel but then take it on a highway they get shocked!!!. best i've averaged was 6.8L highway. usally around the 7L mark. around town its usally 11/12L
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #73
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
200km to tank is my bestest effort.. highway cycle..

Ha! Soft mr beige.

And I thought you were a hard driver.

How about this, full tank to fuel light in well under a 100 try that in ya falcon 6s you economy types

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #74
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Ha! Soft mr beige.

And I thought you were a hard driver.

How about this, full tank to fuel light in well under a 100 try that in ya falcon 6s you economy types
nancy pants here kept slowing down 220ish for corners.. still a solid effort got the sarge from kadina out of bed and had popo helicopter on standby.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #75
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

my Rio gets about 650KM or so from 43 litres of fuel at 110ish

at 100 it should be better than 700KM.

on average it's costing me $30-$40 less per tank than the AU, city and hwy cycle.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #76
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Buy a petrol territory, and you dream of hitting 600km to a tank. currently we are lucky to hit 400!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #77
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so why was the AU so much better economy wise to the B series......was it simply aerodynamics and if so why did ford not improve on that

hard enough in this economy to sell large cars without adding extra fuel usage compared to previous models

Old 15-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #78
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I know, I read a review where they got over a 1000km out of a tank from a 3.0 SIDI Holden Berlina, I don't think some people realise how good a modern large car can be on fuel.
Best mates mum has one of these,great on fuel
But dont expect to overtake ,or power up rapidly
They are designed to save fuel,put the boot in them and cylinders shut down
Economy doesnt come in when it takes K after K after K to overtake trucks, or when in a situation you cant power out
We had one situation where a car went to turn , then changed their mind and cut us of, we went around and put the boot in , to avoid a crash and the computer had a stress attack and shut pots down
Mates mum loves it to death,but ill have something that when the power is needed its there
Id like to see some of these great 4 pottas, when they have 4 or 5 in them,or heavens forbid towing a trailer
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #79
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
so why was the AU so much better economy wise to the B series......was it simply aerodynamics and if so why did ford not improve on that

hard enough in this economy to sell large cars without adding extra fuel usage compared to previous models
the AU weighs less.. and yes in my opinion has a far better slipstream.

my mild AU V8 will get 650KM on the highway (about 10.5L/100) at 110 KM/h no problem at all with two adults and luggage. About the same (range) as what my Rio gets, except it burns 68 litres in that time as opposed to 43 in the Rio. I've never managed to match that in any of my B series 6 cylinders, even with the ZF.
Old 15-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #80
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

where did the weight reduction come from and why was it increased in later models?......I know a lot of weight reduction was found when placing the control blade or did that come later??

I thought the idea of a later model vehicle was to improve economy and performance as well as "bling" and thereby increase sales

Old 15-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #81
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

the control blade IRS is where most of the added weight comes from
Old 15-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #82
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Weight wise we are talking about several hundred kilos difference not just five or ten kilos!

AU< B/F series

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #83
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there were two stages of independent rear suspension though wasn't there? with stage two (control blade) gaining a massive reduction in weight over the first

Old 15-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #84
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

the control blade in the BA/BF is identical as far as i know - unsure what they did with FG, might have been lighter in that though
Old 15-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #85
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU kerb weight is between... 1400 - 1600

the BA is around .................1600 - 1700.......

must be the aerodynamics that create such a discrepancy in fuel usage....the BA is definitely more "blocky"

but I do think it should be capable of pretty fair mileage

Old 15-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #86
Werd.
nou

I get 16 in the Falcon going easy on it to save fuel.

harder driving in the laser gets me below 10 and is more fun to drive.

???

Freeway I doubt there's 2L/100k between em though.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #87
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Id like to see some of these great 4 pottas, when they have 4 or 5 in them,or heavens forbid towing a trailer
Easy done!... with a diesel ;)

My 2L diesel Focus returns an easy 5L per 100 on the freeway no worries. If I'm really tight with my driving I can get it down to 4.8L

This is still with about 20% stop start driving as well.

I did a few similar runs with varying conditions. Fully loaded car (equivalent of 4 people on board) plus 80kg on the roof added .8L per 100.

Did the same trip with a loaded 5x7 trailer (prob 600kg) and some in the car and the consumption went up to 7.4L per 100.

Still very impressed... What would my rig have weighed total? 2.1 tons?? A slightly tuned version of the 2L diesel (130kw / 380NM) would do sub 7 per 100 in a Falcon easy.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #88
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
AU kerb weight is between... 1400 - 1600

the BA is around .................1600 - 1700.......

must be the aerodynamics that create such a discrepancy in fuel usage....the BA is definitely more "blocky"

but I do think it should be capable of pretty fair mileage
BA GT cracks 1880kg.. with tank full of juice..

throw a few boofheads in it 2000kg +
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #89
KIWI-1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Diesel Territory does 1,000 km cause engineer in the ad says so...must be right.
I reckon marketing say to engineering "We must make this car do >1000km on the highway cycle. PLEASE make the fuel tank big emough."
KIWI-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #90
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Used to get just on 11L/100km when I was going down the monash freeway 3 days a week. Now as a weekender I'm averaging mid 12's.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post