Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Ford Marketing Presentation - Melbourne 16th August‏

The problem is Ford spent millions fitting the Ecoboost and EcoLPi to be a game changer in terms of economy and cost to run. They obviously thought so or they wouldn't have done it.

To then not back up that spending, and that idea, to make these large cars more appealing to people who used to think they were guzzlers, just makes the idea basically a dud one if they fail to tell the masses.

Everyone was talking up the Ecoboost as having the potential to be Falcons saviour, but the pathetic effort to sell it and market it has assured its a failure.

Still building 4 a day, have since day 1. Epic fail. No word of mouth crap they believe will get sales will save it. They have been the architects of its failure.

It hasn't even come within 40% of their sales target for it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The problem is Ford spent millions fitting the Ecoboost and EcoLPi to be a game changer in terms of economy and cost to run. They obviously thought so or they wouldn't have done it.

To then not back up that spending, and that idea, to make these large cars more appealing to people who used to think they were guzzlers, just makes the idea basically a dud one if they fail to tell the masses.

Everyone was talking up the Ecoboost as having the potential to be Falcons saviour, but the pathetic effort to sell it and market it has assured its a failure.

Still building 4 a day, have since day 1. Epic fail. No word of mouth crap they believe will get sales will save it. They have been the architects of its failure.

Yep, Ford have caught themselves in a spiral. The Falcon sales drop, so the expensive advertising gets removed, so the Falcon sales drop further, so they cut some models and offer less choice, so the Falcon sales drop fruther, so...etc etc etc.

Every business i have seen that becomes profitable again has spent money to make it. Its not enough to have a great product; you need market differentiation and the ability to make buyers willing to buy it.

I think more analysis is required as to WHY the large car segment is falling, as people certainly seem to be snapping up mid and large SUV's (which are even bigger than Falcon in many ways). Is it perception? Is it culture? Is it the size of the vehicles body? Is it the cost of fuel? Is it the cost of the cars themselves?

IMO Ford have addressed some of the tangible issues (like fuel), but not the less tangible factors such as culture and perception. They need to attack the stigma around large cars by showing what has been addressed, and what it can offer over the small car segment. I dont think many people realise how great it is to have a large, usable sedan that is cheaper to run than a camry/corolla.

Personally, it seems as though the Falcon and FPV exists just for us enthusiasts now...this type of underground advertising is only effective for enthusiasts who go looking for the information (pull rather than push). So in years to come, will we be grateful that Ford kept the Falcon around for us enthusiasts to buy for as long as possible? Or will we be ****ed that Ford threw in the towel and let it die a slow and horrible death, to the point where everyone had to agree it was the right thing to do to kill a low volume product...

Last edited by Quicksand; 28-08-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Quicksand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

WTF, 4 A DAY, that has to be wrong?

Well that worked out well....not

They could and should have fitted the Terri diesel, i bet they could have sold at least 5 times [20/pcs] that of the econonsense 4cyl job.

They bet the farm, and our taxes of a 4cyl Falcon [who the f would want a 4 cyl Falcon??] and its backfired....bad

Think about the marketing angle "1000km range" from a Diesel-Falcon, country people and caravan people would have liked it.

The Falcon is dead, shame really, one of the best engineered Aussie cars has but a few more years left to struggle on.

Message to FoA dont even bother with the Taurus, we are not interested in it
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER

They could and should have fitted the Terri diesel, i bet they could have sold at least 5 times [20/pcs] that of the econonsense 4cyl job.

They bet the farm, and our taxes of a 4cyl Falcon [who the f would want a 4 cyl Falcon??] and its backfired....bad

Think about the marketing angle "1000km range" from a Diesel-Falcon, country people and caravan people would have liked it.

The Falcon is dead, shame really, one of the best engineered Aussie cars has but a few more years left to struggle on.

Like many things, great idea, poor execution. The 4cyl Falcon itself is not a bad idea, but when no-one knows about it, it was always doomed to fail. Ford cannot rely on 'if we build it, they will come' anymore, where every OZ used to have a commo or Falcon out in the driveway. I'm not convinced a diesel Falcon would have done any better with the same level of marketing, and in this current financial climate.
Old 28-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Diesel would have flopped just has hard, if they launched it the same way as they have the EB4, IMO
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Diesel would have flopped just has hard, if they launched it the same way as they have the EB4, IMO
Hard to say, the market likes diesel these days, and the Terri sales have really kicked on since they fitted the V6 diesel into it, plus nobody else has a large car at the price with a diesel, all the market to themselves.

FoA MUST do what HQ says, and so fitting a 4cyl was done at a huge expense, we can almost call it a orphan. [4 a day...lol, very sad really]

For mine it they did the following to the IL6 would have been a better thing:

Direct injection
Displacement on demand
Higher compression
Idle stop
MultiAir system from FiatGroup

Would have used LESS fuel than the EcoB [the difference is not that large anyway], MADE IN AUSTRALIA jobs, simple proven design.

It really was a silly thing to fit a 4cyl in a Falcon after selling it with a 6 for more than 50 years.....

Last edited by RASER; 28-08-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 27-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Boss,

without a doubt Ford shud spend some dough on a YouTube based ad campaign for the EcoLPI. I mean the old $2 Grand Prix they made just doesnt cut it. They must use humor and allusions to sexual success. If Youtube vids of a woman in a drifting Supra whose top becomes unbuttoned can nab 20 million hits, then surely half a million hits is doable.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Vormund

Thought this thread was good for this......

Anyone remember the "Have you driven a Ford, lately?" ads?

Well I decided to quickly put together a more recent one; LINK

Would have liked to find some Falcon MKII shots, but couldn't get any decent workable ones from Ford's youtube funnily enough.
Vormund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormund

Would have liked to find some Falcon MKII shots, but couldn't get any decent workable ones from Ford's youtube funnily enough.
hey mate just clicked your link and it is set to private

should put it into a public setting area if you want us to have a look

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Vormund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
hey mate just clicked your link and it is set to private

should put it into a public setting area if you want us to have a look

Jason
whoops. Meant to just put it unlisted. Oh well its public now.
Old 28-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Drizz06
XR50th

Quote:

Great work Bud! that's brilliant.
Runabout- 1997 XH longreach in white.
Project- 1976 ZH fairlane 500
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #12
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:

However long that ad you made took to make... you have efficiently made an ad cobbled together that is more appealing than most of their ads lately.

Well done. Even the cheesy late 80's music can't bring it down.
Old 28-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

The SUV market is a different beast Raser...what works in the Mid/Large SUV market doesn't necessarily work in the Large Car market. Plus Terri doesn't have as many variants to contend with, so the sales arent split across so many models. The Falcon range has I6 petrol, I6 LPG, EB4, V8...

The Terri was loooooonngggg overdue a significant change, which is why we are seeing a good pickup in sales there. This is also because diesel seems to sell better in the SUV market, and because Ford marketed the crap out of the new Diesel Terri. The Falcon EB4 got zip...correlation there perhaps?

Ford can put a scooter motor for all i care in the Falcon; but if the whole package isnt executed properly it wont stand a chance in todays market.
Old 28-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Just read Septembers Royal Auto (RACV) mag and their verdict on Ecoboost Falcon... https://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conn...alcon+ecoboost
Why they aren't pushing it harder with reviews as positive as this amazes me.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
Just read Septembers Royal Auto (RACV) mag and their verdict on Ecoboost Falcon... https://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conn...alcon+ecoboost
Why they aren't pushing it harder with reviews as positive as this amazes me.
Great article, thanks! Had to share this with all of my friends on FB! Someone has to tell them...maybe i should send a bill to Ford Marketing
Old 28-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Ford Marketing Presentation - Melbourne 16th August‏

FORD ....ads done free..use it !!!

Last edited by csv8; 28-08-2012 at 06:02 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove an Explorer in the States and sorry, Tezza's not a match for it..good as it is, feature or tech its ahead of Tezza, Surely, its not hard to "transplant" some of the Explorer into the Tezza ???? Ford Oz has great engineering..OK , now flame me for running Ford down again..just and honest opinion....and isn't that whats FF is for ???
Old 28-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
Vormund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizz06
Great work Bud! that's brilliant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
FORD ....ads done free..use it !!!
Aww thanks.

I have to say though, that I actually used to edit some TV commercials about 8 years ago. They weren't good though, but I followed the brief. With this Ford ad I was obviously content constrained.

I'd do an ad for Ford Aus for free if they supply me plenty of 1080p footage and a jingle.
Another Ford jingle I liked was this UK one.

Only problem here is Australian ad regulations wouldn't like the line: "Wheels turn, power at your feet, High speed, but you know you're in safe hands."

I think that's the reason can't use the Mazdaspeed name here. It has "speed" in it.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
I drove an Explorer in the States and sorry, Tezza's not a match for it..good as it is, feature or tech its ahead of Tezza, Surely, its not hard to "transplant" some of the Explorer into the Tezza ???? Ford Oz has great engineering..OK , now flame me for running Ford down again..just and honest opinion....and isn't that whats FF is for ???
You mentioned tech... what about to drive?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #20
RASER
Banned

Quote:
With some hope that will become the default SUV for FoA

Soon as the pull the pin on manufacture here, the Exploder, Mustangs, Lincolns [replacement for LTD's?] other AND $30k F150 can lob on our doorstep

The market is SCREAMING for F250's

STOP wasting time and dough flogging a dead horse FoA, the market is not bitting, kill off manufacture here and have a big go importing.

ZAP 1 x F150 thanks....don't get greedy with it either!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #21
prydey
Rob

you need to fix your location, because clearly you are NOT on planet earth!!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #22
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
With some hope that will become the default SUV for FoA

Soon as the pull the pin on manufacture here, the Exploder, Mustangs, Lincolns [replacement for LTD's?] other AND $30k F150 can lob on our doorstep

The market is SCREAMING for F250's

STOP wasting time and dough flogging a dead horse FoA, the market is not bitting, kill off manufacture here and have a big go importing.

ZAP 1 x F150 thanks....don't get greedy with it either!

You will never see a $30K F150 when will you stop dreaming, you keep going on and on and on. Surely you don`t believe what your typing. And for the billionth time last time I looked Ford have not said that they are stopping manufacturing here.
Old 19-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #23
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Ford Marketing Presentation - Melbourne 16th August‏

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
You will never see a $30K F150 when will you stop dreaming, you keep going on and on and on. Surely you don`t believe what your typing. And for the billionth time last time I looked Ford have not said that they are stopping manufacturing here.
The Jeep Cherokee [Liberty in USA] is the SAME PRICE in USA as a base F150 US$23k

The Jeep Cherokke which is produced in less numbers, has auto std., four doors etc, ie would cost more to manufacture than a basic truck

Is being sold here, loaded/auto and all for AUS$30k DRIVEAWAY

The F150 is CHEAPER to make, they could do well under $30k driveaway here in OZ, its not rocketscience!
Old 19-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #24
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
The Jeep Cherokee [Liberty in USA] is the SAME PRICE in USA as a base F150 US$23k

The Jeep Cherokke which is produced in less numbers, has auto std., four doors etc, ie would cost more to manufacture than a basic truck

Is being sold here, loaded/auto and all for AUS$30k DRIVEAWAY

The F150 is CHEAPER to make, they could do well under $30k driveaway here in OZ, its not rocketscience!
Now I know your trolling as you have raised this so many times it`s not funny. Let it go mate your bordering on insanity.
Old 20-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #25
stang65
FPRJET

The question is do you understand how companies do business? If it was your product and you knew you could get more for it in another country would you sell it at the same price?
Old 20-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #26
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I imagine Ford US maybe saying something like this:

"We are selling all the F-series we can build here in US, so why would we export ? Only to build image. Au has a greater appreciation for small trucks than large ones, so Ranger is getting the bread and butter. Lets send the F-Series there as an image builder, a Truck to aspire to"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
The question is do you understand how companies do business? If it was your product and you knew you could get more for it in another country would you sell it at the same price?
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #27
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
I imagine Ford US maybe saying something like this:

"We are selling all the F-series we can build here in US, so why would we export ? Only to build image. Au has a greater appreciation for small trucks than large ones, so Ranger is getting the bread and butter. Lets send the F-Series there as an image builder, a Truck to aspire to"
Exactly. The Americas is the only place in the world that have these great huge Mega trucks. Honda even makes a pickup just for the NA market. Nissan have a big ugly V8 behemoth too that isn't anywhere else. Hell... even the Koreans might get the idea to do the same.

Ranger is Ford's new global pickup. And it is far more 'built for purpose'.