Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #61
monte.b

Default Re: What was the first imported car post 1948 to be sold in Australia with Holden bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Let's not be so keen to slip on the rose tinted glasses about Australian stuff of the era...they were plenty bad and underpowered as well with some "interesting" design flaws, and after ADR27A they became even more asthmatic and uneconomical.

We should be happy to live in an era where there are just about no truly "bad" cars. Back in the seventies, it was a real coin toss, no matter who you bought one from...even the same model from one maker could vary wildly in quality and build finish from car to car.
No bad cars ,well how about a great wall ,a great wall of crap id reckon ,who in their right mind would buy one of these piles of rubbish ,Are you a car salesman i wonder ,seems to me with the recalls that toyoto and a lot of the others have had over the last few years ,the cars are not real flash at all
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #62
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: What was the first imported car post 1948 to be sold in Australia with Holden bad

Guys, lets get back on topic. Has it been established which was the first imported car sold in Australia with Holden badges?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #63
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Guys, lets get back on topic. Has it been established which was the first imported car sold in Australia with Holden badges?
It was the Rodeo in 1980 as I posted earlier.

stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #64
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KJaqL0exBM
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #65
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
It was the Rodeo in 1980 as I posted earlier.

So all 1960s and 1970s Torana and Gemini models were locally assembled?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #66
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
So all 1960s and 1970s Torana and Gemini models were locally assembled?
Yes, they were assembled at Acacia Ridge in Brisbane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OePTM09acPE
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #67
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeXB View Post
They were assembled by Holden from imported CKD kits.
Not only that but the aussie built chev pontiac they were just a bodgie 2ed rate cheap nasty rubbish comaired to the USA car.

Our Ford Galaxie's however were good cars.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #68
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Not only that but the aussie built chev pontiac they were just a bodgie 2ed rate cheap nasty rubbish comaired to the USA car.
That's interesting.

In what way were they nasty? How many Aussie assembled Chevs have you owned?
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #69
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
That's interesting.

In what way were they nasty? How many Aussie assembled Chevs have you owned?
They were not the car the US made but just a bitsa this and a bits of that very bodgy they used the wrong chassis the wrong dash etc etc little engines so when you look into to it all it's very poor compared to ford australia Galaxies with them you could option a big block 3 speed auto's as well when chev only had 2 speed trash.
I have never owned a aussie built chevy and never would of bought one in there day when ford had obviously the better car.
Mates have own them and driven me around in them and i have pointed out the fords were a better car.
I could imagine a yank coming to aus at the time looking to buy the big chevy and ending up in a state of shock to only find only a bastardized 3rd rate poormans chev. Haha ! true story.
Old 29-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #70
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They were not the car the US made but just a bitsa this and a bits of that very bodgy they used the wrong chassis the wrong dash etc etc little engines so when you look into to it all it's very poor compared to ford australia Galaxies with them you could option a big block 3 speed auto's as well when chev only had 2 speed trash.
I have never owned a aussie built chevy and never would of bought one in there day when ford had obviously the better car.
Mates have own them and driven me around in them and i have pointed out the fords were a better car.
I could imagine a yank coming to aus at the time looking to buy the big chevy and ending up in a state of shock to only find only a bastardized 3rd rate poormans chev. Haha ! true story.
If you talk as if you know so much about them that and say they were 'bodgy' and used wrong chassis, where were the quality defects compared to the US counterparts? The problem with the Australian Chevs was they cost twice the price of the Holden and were only available in basic trim/engine configurations. Having very limited options compared to the Galaxie has nothing to do with build quality. I still see more of them getting around than Aussie-assembled Galaxies. A matter of fact, I can't recall the last time I saw one.

When my grandparents were looking for a car, they were lent out a tank Fairlane before buying it, but settled on a Chev instead. This car was their vehicle of choice for travelling to Cairns numerous times. My grandfather even owned a Pontiac Parisienne that he kept for the rest of his life.

I've had experience with a RHD Desoto and it was terrible compared to the Chev, it's steering column was even off-centre. The Chev still exists and it's the smoothest old school car I've ever driven. I've even seen magazine articles saying the same thing, so your analysis on US cars holds little credibility.
Old 29-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #71
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those trash 2 speed auto powerglide thingy that resides in some serious drag cars to this day . That what you talking about ,
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #72
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Those mates should have kicked you out and let you walk home . No appreciation of rare iron whether it's a galaxie , phoenix or a belaire . who cares there all classic and all barges with cred .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #73
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
Those trash 2 speed auto powerglide thingy that resides in some serious drag cars to this day . That what you talking about ,
Knows absolutely nothing about the 2 speed Powerglide........!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #74
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
Those mates should have kicked you out and let you walk home . No appreciation of rare iron whether it's a galaxie , phoenix or a belaire . who cares there all classic and all barges with cred .
Was i on about old iron, no i was on about when they were new.

2 sp autos yer right ! just lik 3 sp manuals on the tree, they were better than a 4sp on the floor.
I know all about the virtues of the mighty powerglide it's good 2sp auto, but 3 ratios in a auto are better than just 2 ratios, i would think on a family car. drag racing is another thing.
Old 30-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #75
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you talk as if you know so much about them that and say they were 'bodgy' and used wrong chassis, where were the quality defects compared to the US counterparts? The problem with the Australian Chevs was they cost twice the price of the Holden and were only available in basic trim/engine configurations. Having very limited options compared to the Galaxie has nothing to do with build quality. I still see more of them getting around than Aussie-assembled Galaxies. A matter of fact, I can't recall the last time I saw one.

When my grandparents were looking for a car, they were lent out a tank Fairlane before buying it, but settled on a Chev instead. This car was their vehicle of choice for travelling to Cairns numerous times. My grandfather even owned a Pontiac Parisienne that he kept for the rest of his life.

I've had experience with a RHD Desoto and it was terrible compared to the Chev, it's steering column was even off-centre. The Chev still exists and it's the smoothest old school car I've ever driven. I've even seen magazine articles saying the same thing, so your analysis on US cars holds little credibility.
Aussie made Chev Pontiac Haha ! how well would it of sold in the USA even if the wheel was on there side of the car Haha a Claytons chev just shoddy and not in a leauge of the big Ford.
1967 chev pon = 327 2 sp auto.
1967 Galaxie = 289 and 390 with 3 sp autos.

Remember Fords are the best ! you know that don't you.
Old 30-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #76
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Aussie made Chev Pontiac Haha ! how well would it of sold in the USA even if the wheel was on there side of the car Haha a Claytons chev just shoddy and not in a leauge of the big Ford.
1967 chev pon = 327 2 sp auto.
1967 Galaxie = 289 and 390 with 3 sp autos.

Remember Fords are the best ! you know that don't you.
Give it a rest mate.

When I look around on other websites and in real life I've heard plenty of people, who most have never owned a Ford say things like "Falcons are the worst cars ever made" and "Fords are rubbish", etc. Your slanderous comments are no different.
Old 30-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #77
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
And what happened to all those glorious and well equipped Japanese imports of the 70's and 80's? They quickly became smoke billowing **** boxes. They are as rare as hens teeth these days whereas you see plenty of old Holdens and Falcons still getting around.
Really? I hardly see any old Fords and Holdens getting around Melbourne these days. Probably as many as old Corollas or Celicas or the like.

I can't remember the last time I saw a VB or VC Commodore on the road, or an XC or XD, in spite of how many were built and sold at the time compared to the imported stuff.
Old 31-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #78
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I see plenty of old Holdens and Fords getting around. Never really see any old Jap stuff. Maybe rarely an old Celica or something but that's about it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #79
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Give it a rest mate.

When I look around on other websites and in real life I've heard plenty of people, who most have never owned a Ford say things like "Falcons are the worst cars ever made" and "Fords are rubbish", etc. Your slanderous comments are no different.
Slander ?
It's just a fact mate and i am not prejudice in any way at all.
Would Holden announce something like, we have we have gone back to the 2 sp auto in the WB holdens or maybe say the same announcement of the VT commodore etc

Or how about if Holden went boasting that we have narrowed down the wheel track of our holden chev as apposed to the US one. for what reason Holden may i say ? Haha ! it's not a better car than the US chev, anyway you look at it' sorry bro.
Sure someone could say that his 6 cyl kingswood is better than the same model V8 premier, but you know what i know the Premier is in fact better. but i am sure he loves his kingswood.
Old 31-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #80
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Could we please get back on topic and not argue about 40 year old cars!!
Old 08-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #81
D Block

Hmmm...does the Rodeo, a light commercial, fit the term "CAR" as used in the question by the OP? Do we then move to the front wheel drive Gemini or something?...does anybody really care?
D Block is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #82
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Block View Post
Hmmm...does the Rodeo, a light commercial, fit the term "CAR" as used in the question by the OP? Do we then move to the front wheel drive Gemini or something?...does anybody really care?
It's History and the facts must be out there, even if you are just on Eddy Maguire show, in line to win the million dollar question.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #83
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

plenty 1940's vehicles around with body by holden badges.
the GMC in nsw had holden's compliance plates.

bedford vans had powered by holden.

jackaroo wagon in mid 1980's classed as P/car.

I thought this would be easy.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #84
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehoos View Post
plenty 1940's vehicles around with body by holden badges.
the GMC in nsw had holden's compliance plates.

bedford vans had powered by holden.

jackaroo wagon in mid 1980's classed as P/car.

I thought this would be easy.
Any vehicle imported after 1948 with a GMH badge
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post