Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-09-2005, 08:55 AM   #61
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAFIATL
So tell me that the GEN3 sucks cause it does. And you know that every third Holden and HSV GEN3 engine get sold in one of there cars always have some major problem with it and thay still do today. That poor workmanship.
Hmm .. I own both a Windsor 5.0 (2001) and a GenIII (2003). The Windsor is a nice, reliable, sweet engine .. but it is no competition to a GenIII in stock form (which the vast majority are). My GenIII was one of the "defective" ones (replaced under warranty) .. but I would never say a Windsor is better put together engine. It's just it's older design allows wider tolerances in assembly. [ I've slapped together a 383 Mopar with rings and bearings which had heaps of piston slap, but didn't use anything like the oil consumption many LS1 owners put up with! ] The GenIII uses a lot of trick stuff (as stock) and they seem to cut corners in assembly (like not using torque plates?). However, IMHO the Windsors "ruggedness" comes at a price though .. reduced potential power and increase fuel consumption.
.. still love Windors though!! Great little engines ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #62
paul7v7
bring it on

Quote:
Ummmm no i really don't think so. Windsor kicks GEN3 *** any day you smartass!! It's a proven fact as a mates got a HSV Grange (5.7 250kw 350ci V8) while i own a TICKFORD TL50 (5.0 200kw 302ci V8) both 99 model. Both of our cars are stock so we wanted to see what has luxury power on the Quarter mile strip. The result was the TL50 won by 0.8 second more than the Grange. And we even tried swapping drivers but no different at all.

So tell me that the GEN3 sucks cause it does. And you know that every third Holden and HSV GEN3 engine get sold in one of there cars always have some major problem with it and thay still do today. That poor workmanship.
Oh lets all praise Mr I know everything here who says a lot but can't prove sh1t. So where is the time slips for both? Everytime i have seen a TL vs Grange the grange killed the TL. Get out of denial idiot and don't go around calling people smartass cause one day you pick on the wrong person ;)
Old 28-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #63
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Ummmm no i really don't think so. Windsor kicks GEN3 *** any day you smartass!! It's a proven fact as a mates got a HSV Grange (5.7 250kw 350ci V8) while i own a TICKFORD TL50 (5.0 200kw 302ci V8) both 99 model. Both of our cars are stock so we wanted to see what has luxury power on the Quarter mile strip. The result was the TL50 won by 0.8 second more than the Grange. And we even tried swapping drivers but no different at all.

I cant wait to race your TL with my HAD

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 10:20 AM   #64
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
: how do you work that out?! Theyre the same vehicle except one has a different colour paint on the bottom and different wheels!
A good colour scheme and wheels maketh the car my friend.

How awful was the AU Fairmont/Fairlane hubcaps they used. Good gravy those were some ugly cars. Add tickford wheels and sports suspension and you were in pimp-city though.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 10:38 AM   #65
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
A good colour scheme and wheels maketh the car my friend.

How awful was the AU Fairmont/Fairlane hubcaps they used. Good gravy those were some ugly cars. Add tickford wheels and sports suspension and you were in pimp-city though.
Yeah true and I wouldnt say no to an AUII/III Lane (non Sportsman) with some Rebel 18's or even AU2 XR 17's. Damn nice vehicles.
Old 28-09-2005, 12:20 PM   #66
EFFalcon
Last warning

IMO the statesman doens't really look anything like a commodore.
i woulnd't be saying its just a stretched version.

either way Gen3 > Windsor unless ur keen to spend big money on it.
and i'd love a windsor
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 12:50 PM   #67
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Hi everyone,

I just thought that it'd make an interesting photo post, that's all. Didn't mean to start getting everyone fired up. But it has been interesting to read. Ford can learn some things if they read through our passionate comments and feelings.

Well next on my shopping list are BA scuff plates for the interior and I'm going to do something about the centre holes on my alloys. I hope there's a range of centre caps to choose from. I wish JMM made some. I also need to replace two tyre inflation caps because someone stole them from one side.

Andrew.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 04:25 PM   #68
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Yeah sorry to hijack your thread Dauphin, your car look's top's.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #69
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Hi everyone,

I just thought that it'd make an interesting photo post, that's all. Didn't mean to start getting everyone fired up. But it has been interesting to read. Ford can learn some things if they read through our passionate comments and feelings.

Well next on my shopping list are BA scuff plates for the interior and I'm going to do something about the centre holes on my alloys. I hope there's a range of centre caps to choose from. I wish JMM made some. I also need to replace two tyre inflation caps because someone stole them from one side.

Andrew.
It's cool, we're just having a 'spirited' discussion!
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 11:38 PM   #70
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

The build quality on the Gen 3's is pretty damn poor, some are gutless oil burning slugs and some go hard, but usually a 200kw Windsor would get beaten pretty easily by a Gen 3.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 01:33 PM   #71
frickenel

Just fractionally off topic, but talking of big and ugly - i need to know the dimensions of the 1978 LTD's !

I have a guy that owns a Chevvy Impala that he says is over 5m long.

We sell car pockets that totally enclose the car, and he's not sure it will fit in one. We had a 1978 LTD in one with heaps of room to spare, so i'm interested to know the length of the LTD.

The covers totally enclose the car, you drive on, wrap the top cover around and zip it up, so if it isn't big enough, there won't be much room for improvisation!

I can't imagine the LTD would be much less than 5 metres in length!!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 01:46 PM   #72
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

This page has dimensions:

http://www.geocities.com/falconfacts...eltd/zhp6.html

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 30-09-2005, 01:49 PM   #73
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

200 kw windsor vs 250 kw GEN 3..

someones playing with it!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 01:59 PM   #74
frickenel

Quote:

Thanks Dauphin, info is a great help !!!!!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 05:12 PM   #75
jmc-007

yeh i would say so the 250kw engines get up and go.

Maybe if the TL50 had the Stroker 5.6 then i would agree but
not

250 v's 200kw

:
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #76
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
Sorry, but the AU Fairlane was by and large a horrendous looking vehicle. But the Sportsman was AWESOME.
Now I'm just a country boy but could you explain how 17" wheels and a wood/leather steering wheel makes a Fairlane awesome?
Quote:
How awful was the AU Fairmont/Fairlane hubcaps they used.
Hubcaps? what hubcaps?

BTW Dauphin, did lowering affect the ride?
Old 30-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #77
Dauphin
Irregular member

Someone told me that the AU Sportsman had firmer suspension, but I've never confirmed it. The Fairlane actually gains 6 extra kW if you add the Momo steering wheel.

The ride totally changed with the new JMM shocks and springs. Before them, it would constantly pitch up and down when accellerating or deccellerating and roll around corners.

Old 30-09-2005, 06:37 PM   #78
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Someone told me that the AU Sportsman had firmer suspension, but I've never confirmed it. The Fairlane actually gains 6 extra kW if you add the Momo steering wheel.

The ride totally changed with the new JMM shocks and springs. Before them, it would constantly pitch up and down when accellerating or deccellerating and roll around corners.
re:Momo ROFL.

What year is yours Dauphin? Mine rides like a dream...for a Ford
We had an NCII (late '93) Sportsman that had a stiffer ride than the standard NCII Fairlane.
Old 30-09-2005, 06:43 PM   #79
Dauphin
Irregular member

October 2000 AUII.

Old 30-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #80
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Same as mine! twins!
Are you coming up to the All fords day in Nov?
Old 30-09-2005, 07:06 PM   #81
Dauphin
Irregular member

Wow, maybe they sat by each other on the production line.

Is that the Wagga one? Don't think I can make it.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:18 AM   #82
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

If you saw a TL50 in the flesh you'll soon understand why it so much better then it Grange competitor.

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 04:06 PM   #83
Dauphin
Irregular member

Default Fairlane vs. Fairlane

Look what I saw parked next to my car today.

Interesting that the rear FAIRLANE badge is on the other side to my car. Is that a series difference?

Old 09-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #84
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Well, I feel compelled to add to this great debate after somebody called the AU fairlane the ugliest ever. Hopefully I can impart some feedback as to the merits of the shape/design and aesthetics of the AU as opposed to the newer BA.

I have owned/driven all of the LTD's from 1988 onwards. On many occasion I have also had the distinct pleasure of driving some fairly noteworthy people around in them. I currently have a BA LTD, and still have my AUII LTD, recently sold my DL.

From an Interior/comfort point of view, the AUII wins. It has by far the most comfortable seats ever produced in fine leather. (same as dauphne's sportsman seats) The interior fit and trim is also by far the most commented on; receiving more compliments than any other I have owned (the DL came second). It looks the goods and conveys a sense of luxury through the extensive use of wood and leather throughout the cabin. The BA on the other hand is very bland, and uses far too much plastic reminiscent of the donor XT. Also, whilst the BA front seats are far more supportive, the rear seats are nothing special, and are quite hard due to the fuel tank being under them.

For ride/handling; it is a close call on the BA to the AUII but for different reasons. The AUII soaks up the bumps with less fuss/noise than the BA, but this softer spring setting can be troublesome when you are loaded up and constantly bottom out. (I have gone through 2 sets of rear mudflaps). The BA has surprisingly more travel in this area and is capable of taking quite a load without comprimise. It also for some weird reason wears the Japanese Dunlops twice as fast as the AUII, and at between $250-$300 per tyre it is a noticeable problem.

Looks/Aesthetics. From a standpoint of trying to standout in a crowd; the AUII wins hands down. There is no other car similar to it. It is instantly recognisable as a special car, with miles of chrome and to use the vernacular of a certain american trash/show host; has lots of "bling". It also has a wider stance than the BA, promoting a more authorative look. The BA on the other hand is rather understated, preferring to look a lot like its SWB cousins. Most of the time you have to look twice to see the BA series LWB's, as they are not all that easily distinguished from the rest of the falcon range.

In terms of the most favourite car that customers love travelling in, being seen in, are most comfortable in and have frequently fallen asleep in; the AUII wins hands down. It is also the car that I only bring out for my special customers who request it.
Don't get me wrong, I love the BA and am absolutely floored by its abilities, but I am constantly asked to provide the "big limo", aka the AUII.

In summary, the two are great for what they both do, and from a driving standpoint they have similarities, and differences. But from the looks side, which is what was posted as being ugly, the AUII, for being an original that no other car looks like (with my customers anyway) is the favourite.

BTW, the last time Ford beat Holden soundly on LWB cars was the NA-NL series, that has significantly different looks than the SWB cars (although the NF-NL had a similar front end), so why wouldn't ford try to differentiate?

Quote: