Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Are you a Handling or Acceleration person?
Handling (i.e. a chassis focus) 102 50.50%
Acceleration (i.e. a powertrain focus) 100 49.50%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #61
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
If anyone here is sincere about handling being of greater importance than brute power, surely these would the focus/festiva owners amoungst us. Please dont get me wrong - anyone with a falcon can surely appreciate a nice handling car - but if you were that serious about handling, you wouldnt have bought an 1800kg family edan.
I don't believe that's true. Not everyone can live with an MR-S, MR2, S2000, MX-5 [etc], they're small two-seaters with the storage space of a golf cart. Besides, it's relative, an 1800kg family sedan can still go around corners fast, just not as fast as a two-door sportscar.
Even if between your house and wherever you wanted to go was a curvy mountain road, many people still need to carry people & stuff around in a bit more comfort and safety than a golf-cart.
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 09:12 PM   #62
SVR73
Mr Polish

I've owned a forte AU and now have the XR6 VCT with full kit and difference is chalk and cheese
Sure there are euro and jap cars that would handle better but for an aussie built car at 1600kg, it's brilliant
some of the speeds that are capable through corners with 20-40 km/h recommended speed signs and sweeping bends is amazing and it never ever pushes or has body roll

I am serious about handling but am a sedan man
Big 4 door sedans and 2 door coupe's just do it for me
Little 4 potters do not

Little
Old 13-01-2006, 09:16 PM   #63
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

as XBGS351 knows my race car has heaps of power but it would all be a waste if the barge didnt handle well

it now has nearly double the power it had last year but handleing lets you drive it to its full potential

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #64
HOON69
Banned

what he said ^^^^
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 01:03 AM   #65
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I'll go a chassis Focus anyday... my Ford Focus is a great chassis focus Love it to bits even though it's not exactly a drag beast. It's pure sex on wheels through the twisties and shames roundabouts with pride.
Old 14-01-2006, 02:23 AM   #66
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Acceleration for me. A 30+yo car will never out handle my other two cars anyway. When I'm in the XB I usually just cruise at my own speed anyway. If I want excitement? I push the pedal harder but on the street theres no real point. I need my license for work.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 02:48 AM   #67
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
$50 says i have more fun on roundabouts than you do....
Another $50 says mine is legal
Old 14-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #68
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Acceleration for me, a good handling car will be way over the speed limit to enjoy on a twistie road, but a 60ft launch at lights is enjoyable (up to the speed limit of course).
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #69
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Acceleration for me, a good handling car will be way over the speed limit to enjoy on a twistie road
Not true at all, there a good few roads in Victoria where you can have a hellava lot of fun and still be below the speed limit (100km/h) - often out in the Yarra Valley & surroundings. Lots of nice tight corners - great for a nimble car, a bit of a challenge for a barge
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 12:49 PM   #70
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

It depends on what you define a good handling car as, im thinking Porsche 911, Lotus elise, etc......
Old 14-01-2006, 01:05 PM   #71
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
It depends on what you define a good handling car as, im thinking Porsche 911, Lotus elise, etc......
Peugeot 205 GTi, RenaultSport Clio would be two pocket rockets that would come to mind

I might add, small doesn't mean slow in a straight line either!
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #72
buickman
buickman

I would go handling & braking 1st for safety reasons on public roads. But quick accelaration in a car besides bragging rights can be a safety thing for people that have judgment overtaking a convey of large prime movers on the h/ways. I define good handling as roadworthy tyres, brakes , steering componets plus good judgement on high speeds & surroundings
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #73
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Handling.

Anyone can go fast in a straight line, plus accleration bores me after a while.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #74
MYV8
Gota be happy with a Hump
Donating Member1

Straight line in the ute, twisties on the bike.
Can't beat the Aust Superbike School courses for a rush on wheels.....

BluePower Racing Developments ............... Best in the Business
MYV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #75
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
Anyone can go fast in a straight line, plus accleration bores me after a while.
Have you tried? If not then you really have no idea on how hard it actually is. It's about consistancy. Consistancy is very difficult. How do I know? Tens of thousands of $ and 5 years of attending the strip.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 12:58 AM   #76
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

be good to have both, had to choose one so its straight line Acceleration for 400 meters..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 01:22 AM   #77
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

yer those people that say acceleration gets boring should take a ride in a 10 second car or something :\ quite poop stirring

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #78
red_hotxr6
Banned

Smile

Honestly i think that 99.9% of factory made cars can accelerate and corner very well for the speed posted signs that the dept of transport have put up on our roads.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 02:13 PM   #79
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I prefer driving V8 cruisers than Celicas - so i think that answers the question, but both is good.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #80
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm for both. Any car that combines handling with acceleration gets my nod.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 11:54 PM   #81
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Have you tried? If not then you really have no idea on how hard it actually is. It's about consistancy. Consistancy is very difficult. How do I know? Tens of thousands of $ and 5 years of attending the strip.
Yes I have tried and it is great fun trying to find one tenth of a second more, but in terms of real world (as in the street) you can only accelerate to about 60km/h, so going for a drive in the hills is far more exciting.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 07:23 PM   #82
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Not if your driving Brenx's car it aint, that thing is scary in a straight line, but any car that pulls 124mph in just over 10 seconds is.
Old 16-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #83
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Both.
Old 17-01-2006, 10:34 PM   #84
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Well I got to take my workmate's R32 GT-R for a spin today.
He needed to pick up his wife's new Lancer, and I brought his car back to work.
Was pretty fun, especially in the wet, though I wouldn't give up my Ford for one.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #85
I bleed ford
351 cubes of power

It's hard to chose because really they both go hand in hand. I voted for acceleration because i like smoking rubber but for a real performance car they are as important as each other. That being said i realise two car with same power but better handlin on one will ИИИИ on the other. Good to see the pole was split pretty evenly though.

cheers
I bleed ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 05:01 AM   #86
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

mate stuff this handeling krap...the hole point of having a old car with 351 that doesnt turn and handles like krpa is so when it aint turning you can kick the *** end out smoke it and then it turns!!! hence why they dont turn so u can put your foot down! like old XY`s....Good on ya Ford!!!!! :eclipsee_ :
Old 27-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #87
Ringo
I see you....

Both.

There is nothing like driving a car with serious power. It makes my fingers tingle ( I drove a GTP ....quickly...... last year...fwoooaahhh)

Circuit racing is where my heart and head is. The challenge of driving a circuit faster and faster requires thought, application of theroy and lots of practice to do it well.

Unfortunatley Greg Murphy has proven that it is possible to be able to do this and still be a d*ckhead.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #88
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
mate stuff this handeling krap...the hole point of having a old car with 351 that doesnt turn and handles like krpa is so when it aint turning you can kick the *** end out smoke it and then it turns!!! hence why they dont turn so u can put your foot down! like old XY`s....Good on ya Ford!!!!! :eclipsee_ :
Not being rude crude or disgusting but even straight roads come to an end, how are you even going to turn around and get back where you started from.lol.Any way to my way of thinking you have got to have power for the straight and handling for those corners.Hey who wants to stop.lol
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 05:29 PM   #89
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

While its nice to have great handling I have never seen any car do a right turn at 110 kmph . I think for me there is nothing like being pinned in your seat while the scenery flies past. Gforces and acceleration are great fun.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post