Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2006, 01:21 PM   #61
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I can't believe though that they still continue to use the 200 metre rule.
If I left my highbeam on at 200m from the car infront ... I reckon I'd give the poor bastard permanent blindness.

Or I'd melt the vehicle :
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #62
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
You’ve brought up some good points here, LTD and Papa Smurf and I doubt that many here would disagree with you, however, there’s still a lot of grey areas in the legislation. As far as I’m concerned, any moron who wants to burn rubber in a suburban street or industrial area deserves everything they cop, pardon the pun.

Where some of the problems are is in the street racing area. If you decide to give your car a quick rev away from the lights in an 80 zone, and so does the bloke beside you, under the new legislation, this is deemed street racing and if you end up with a copper that doesn’t like the way you comb your hair, your car can be impounded. You may have only reached 80 in the 80 zone, however, this doesn’t matter.

I dare say that there will be many scenarios like this that will be tested in court.
Agreed. That is pretty stupid and should be contested. The law should have some clarification in this area, as technically you have done nothing wrong.

Personally I think where we have gone wrong is that we centre too much on speeding as opposed to driving at speed suitable to the conditions.
Additionally, police should vehemently defend the tailgaiting laws, as well as the propensity of so many to sit in the right lane under the speed limit.

But I'll tell you what, they won't enforce these laws as there is no real cash cow for the state governments in it.

Finally, as for car chases with police, once you cross onto the wrong side of the road the pursuit is considered too dangerous and is called off. This is one of the reasons for serial offenders still driving.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #63
VSSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsy109
There has already been a guy fined for this a couple of years back. Pretty sure it was an SS commie and he accelerated rapidly to 100kmph speed limit as he was going up the on ramp to a motorway. Fairly sure he was a more experienced driver, late 40's. There was no other car involved and i think the charge was dangerous driving.

My point i guess is that there has always been grey areas.

AND HERE IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH INTERNET FORUMS

This is just one example mind you. Less than half the story coming from a 3rd party who wasn't even there. With comments like "Pretty sure" and "I think". Same as the Gemini story. Someone posts a 3rd hand story which is then taken as gospel by everyone else. i.e. If it's on the internerd it must be true!

Spending some time in the courts myself it's amazes me to see ususlly honest law abiding citizens lieing their absolute ar$e off over traffic matters. They put their hand on the bible and swear an OATH! And then the NSW HWP front up with in car video footage and the drivers want to cop a plea. Apparently court times have been cut in half for HWP police because the vast majority of people are realising they have to take responsibility for their actions. For your info a great deal of magistrates in Sydney are lefty's and no fans of the police.

It's pretty simple. Having a licence is not a right, it's a privelidge. The laws and regulations are fairly straightforward. If you don't like 'em then don't drive or save it for the track. Any "tax" you pay for getting caught is a voluntary tax. If you think the new hoon laws are over the top then you are in the very small minority. And we live in a system where majority rules.

Maybe we should open a SWEEPING COMMENTS post where people who want to make half informed comments with nothing to back them up (apart from "I heard", "I saw on A Current Affair" or "My mate said") can keep to themselves!

End of rant... :MrT_anim:
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #64
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
Maybe we should open a SWEEPING COMMENTS post where people who want to make half informed comments with nothing to back them up (apart from "I heard", "I saw on A Current Affair" or "My mate said") can keep to themselves!
Quote:
Spending some time in the courts myself it's amazes me to see ususlly honest law abiding citizens lieing their absolute ar$e off over traffic matters.
Perhaps you could regail us with stories of your polygraph-like lie detection skills in this new thread?

But please - I only kid. See how easy it is for opinion to come across as a statement of fact though? If we all take it with a grain of salt then im sure we can avoid a lot of misunderstandings. Well... that's what a guy at my uncle's work said his brother in law reckons... lol

Quote:
It's pretty simple. Having a licence is not a right, it's a privelidge. The laws and regulations are fairly straightforward. If you don't like 'em then don't drive or save it for the track. Any "tax" you pay for getting caught is a voluntary tax. If you think the new hoon laws are over the top then you are in the very small minority. And we live in a system where majority rules.
Here, here!!
Old 10-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #65
mUTHA
DALLY 41

is it illegal to leave your keys in a car if unnatended?
im in a country town as a few others and well 1 no1 in tow would steal my car and 2 theres no 1 in town to steal my car except the cops

why cant the cops use their time more resorsfully and stop the more occuring incidents of violen attacks in pubs and clubsd just this wknd gone a 19yr old male in eprth waas struck and put into a coma outside a suburban pub withotu any provoking while he was in line to get in

fair enough stop hoons and dangerous drivin but for accidents like wheel spin in teh wet hell mine does it weith only light pressure on my pedal around 1500rpm. i think teh police have to have a little more tolerance on people gnuinly tryin to do teh right thing and get the more dangerous drivers eg drunk drivers or drivers under the influence of illicit drugs such as meth or dope.

maybe if they got a pay rise theyl have more tolerance and take action on the more serious incidents
mUTHA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #66
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Good god man, use a spell checker!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #67
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Luckily for him the police don't fine people for spelling or grammar. What a mission it was to read that.

Quote: