Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #91
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Re: does "empty" on the fuel gauge mean empty

FG's don't like running low on fuel, so don't try any of this out. Its best to refill as soon as the low fuel light illuminates, or before that.

With the BA I filled up before it got to 50km to empty, once or twice it got down to around 20km.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #92
fanboi
Banned

i usually drive about 30ks after it says zero and the gauge drops below the 0 and it normally still has a bit left in the tank
fanboi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #93
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Cavitation kills fuel pumps and I reckon this is why the maker will give a margin of error in favour of the fuel quantity.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #94
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Well, I ran out AGAIN this morning! That'd be 4 or 5 times this year. (I now carry a 10 litre jerry can)
My distance to empty showed 147kms, distance travelled showed 544ks, and fuel gauge showing just over a quarter.
After putting in my 10 litre "reserve", drove 2-3ks to BP, where it took 71.7 litres.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #95
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Well, I ran out AGAIN this morning! That'd be 4 or 5 times this year. (I now carry a 10 litre jerry can)
My distance to empty showed 147kms, distance travelled showed 544ks, and fuel gauge showing just over a quarter.
After putting in my 10 litre "reserve", drove 2-3ks to BP, where it took 71.7 litres.
I'd be getting that checked out. Sounds like the sender has had it.
Old 22-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #96
MarkAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
(quote) If the vehicle trip computer function has the ability to provide instantaneous fuel consumption data as most cars produced within the last 5 or 6 years, then this information is tanken from the engine management processor and not some resistor in the fuel tank sender unit. The total fuel consumed data is just the sum of the instantaneous fuel consumption data.
exactly.......and given the "instantaneous" usage data required to make this calculation varies from minute to minute then the readout would be "rubbery" at best[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about the Distance to Empty (DTE) calc, I am refering to the Litres consumed calc available on the FG computer. The DTE calc will always be a best guess based on the known value of the fuel held in the tank then calculated using the average consumption figures for the vehicle based on the latest figures since the system has been reset. You can reset this so that the figure is based on Ford's initial settings (as a new vehicle).

The full consumption data is not a best guess. If the processor continually processes the number of litres used (instantaneous) in the background after a soft reset ie putting fuel into the vehicle, then its up to the user to work out when the tank hits fumes. If the vehicle tank and fill hose takes a known amount then subtract A from B and the result will be accurate.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #97
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ran the BA down to 0 DTE before fuel filter change.. took 58lt to fill..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #98
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats what I found on one of my "experiments".....3rd time now, varies between 52 litres to 60 litres. from dead on 80km's left on DTE.

fuel gauge showing empty.

not game to run it "dry".

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #99
cupic
Nikon

I suppose DTE means different to driving styles.
I you drive in bumper to bumper traffic then the DTE would mean more as a accurate gauge,as the reading wouldn't be off by much.But in long trip mode its optimum fuel usage so when you see and hear the buzzing going off you have (IMHO)100kmto go and you would be recording better than 10l/100k's

cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #100
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I just ran my BA sedan a few km past "0" DTE today and then it took 64L for the fill....
Thus it still had 4L in it. My car and the fuel gauge has been pretty consistent over the years in this regard
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #101
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the needle rock bottom on new Toyotas I can tell you that you get about 40-60kms out of them no problem.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post