Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #91
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladexr8
Agreed, but is it beyond the realms of possibility that there are some families you don't know about that just might be doing it tough?
Blade, if you looked at my first post, I stated that I feel sorry for those families who are doing it tough really and not been able to spend a cent on other things. But in general those families who complain and I am talking about ones I know of, its a bit hard to overlook that they have a fridge full of softdrinks, chocolates, buy DVD's etc - come on if your doing it so tough and can't afford PETROL - surely a $25.00 DVD will get you some petrol instead
Old 01-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #92
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjase
Just like everyone else, so many people live beyond their means. What are you going to do when Interest rates go up ? sell the house ? Your probably just like everyone else that got sucked into a home loan with 95% or even 100% loans, stretched your budget to meet it then and now that things are going up things are looking tough.

If you cant afford the mortage, sell it and rent or struggle through life and get no where.

Like I said you make choices in life - sometimes they are good sometimes they are bad !!!!
Not all of use were born with a silver spoon in our mouths. If we were? We'd all have a private education wouldn't we

No I had $80,000 deposit. Mostly eaten away with stamp duties and unexpected bills from the builder. This is my 2nd home. I've been paying mortgages for 8 years. This mortgage is a 30 year mortgage. My last one was a 5 year mortgage. I've worked since I was 14yo. I've now worked more than 1/2 of my life. due to work I had little time for education. I do have my VCE and a tafe qualification though. Couldn't afford to dedicate 4 yours of my life for Uni. Just wasn't financially viable.

I've already taken action to soften the blow if interest rates go up. I don't think they will but we'll see. My mother inlaw is apprently dieing? In the next few years. They've been saying that for many years now. Doesn't look that way to me? If she does that's no less than $50,000 coming our way.

What you fail to see is unexpected things happen. What if you break your back or end up on workcover like my wife has been for 4 years. My wife being on workcover means we are $16,000pa down. She will never be off workcover.
She has a permanent back injury caused by workplace neglance. We can't sue for anything worth wild due to law changes. Her medical bills are in excess of $80,000 per annum. It has been determined my wife is 52% disabled which qualifies her for a disability pension but she can't get it as I work. The end result is you has to stay and work while chewing on pain killers like lollies. Which shortens life dramatically as it causes other problems. Can't remember whether it's liver or kidney failure?

Tuned by Hallam Performance

Last edited by brenx; 01-05-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:25 PM   #93
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not simple mate, maybe you meant SINGLE. I have a GF and she costs me millions. We are getting married next year so whats the difference ? I already pay for her plane tickets, i pay for the food, the rent, the bills, I have 4 cars, she doenst work at the moment.
hehe. Soon you'll see what having your own family is about. It was very simple when I was single. Very little debt and my pay was all mine. Not anymore. I'm continually paying the Mrs bad financial decisions.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:32 PM   #94
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
I'm just glad that I only live 5km from work... I use about $8 a week in fuel if I don't drive anywhere else.

I reckon theres gonna be a few young families out there with thier houses on the market soon if interest rates go up combined with the fuel prices... might be a good time to buy a house soon.:
Plenty of people did that with the recession and most fell right in the deepend. It depends on how much if any you would need to borrow and how much you could cope with rate hikes and if your employment stayed secure. Many saw houses going chaep at 12% interest rates and moved in for the steal but suddenly they had no job and rates were 18%.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #95
jspec_sti

Quote:
Blade, if you looked at my first post, I stated that I feel sorry for those families who are doing it tough really and not been able to spend a cent on other things. But in general those families who complain and I am talking about ones I know of, its a bit hard to overlook that they have a fridge full of softdrinks, chocolates, buy DVD's etc - come on if your doing it so tough and can't afford PETROL - surely a $25.00 DVD will get you some petrol instead
Good point, You left out the carton of ciggies though!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #96
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Going to Singapore on wednesday for 1 week actually. Went to Canada and LA last July - went to Disneyland, Hollywood,etc. Also went to Los vegas.
Ohh and my parents live in QLD, I drove there last Nov. So what about yourself then ?
Sounds great. Personally I havent been on any sort of holiday (more than 2 nights and in the same state) since my honeymoon. Thats about 8 years ago. My kids (eldest being 9 this month) have never been on a "holiday". Doesnt worry me though, doesnt worry them either. Of course I spend my money on crap like DVD's, tim tams and even the odd night of takeway for them.. oh, and a couple toys now and then. Hell, I cant be doing it too tough can I? I mean I "waste" money on junk the kids dont need to survive. But since I cant afford to take them on a holiday I figure that giving them a few little extra's may just stop them needing major theraphy when they grow up.
Sometimes those "crap, wasteful" items are the things that make life worth it for the kids. Their minds dont operate like adults do (have some kids, you'll work it out), they dont understand money and budgets. They simply see their mates have something they cannot. As a parent it tears your heart out to see your own kids miss out. Thats why we spend precious money on "crap". Did you know that cadbury's actually increased its sale of chocolates during the last great recession in the late 80's, early 90's? Why? Because people could no longer afford to go on holidays, eat out or even take a weekend day trip. So they bought a bar of chocolate as that little "thing" that is a treat to them in what were really hard times.

Now, before you say anything back, I'll say that I'm not doing it too tough anymore. I have a great job, earn a great income, have fantastic friends (and a support group the size of AFF) and the best wife and family a person could ask for however I know what its like to do it tough.. real tough. Tough enough to go without food so my kids can get a birthday present. Tough enough to rely on my family to buy clothing for them too. I know tough and I also know that many people are still in that situation.
You are not, you have chosen your lifestyle and no one can tell you its right or wrong. Its your absolute right to do as you wish with your money. I have also chosen my lifestyle. Married, single income, 4 kids, never going to be rich, never going to travel the world, live to an increadably strict budget still and probably always will. I dont regret it one bit, I dont ask for sympathy as I dont need or deserve it. These days things are very different and life is much easier for us.. mayby easier than a lot of 2 income families.
I am rich in ways you simply dont and cant understand. The older I get the richer I feel. For that I'll suffer whatever it takes as its all worth it. When I have my 40th birthday in a few years my eldest will be 14. At my 50th all my 4 kids will be over 18 and will hopefully be there to cheer their old man on and give him that unrestricted love. Something only a parent knows.

Yes, as parents we do it tough and have a whinge somedays (and believe me its justified when the Govt trys to shaft families at every turn) but ask any of them, even the ones doing it as tough as it gets, do they regret having kids? Dont think too many would say yes.

I'll enjoy it when I'm 70 and the come to visit me with my grandkids I'm sure. Will be nice to get visitors dont you think?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #97
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

My word, listen to you all. Shockwave - i applaud you for having the balls to stand up, speak your mind and go against the popular AFF opinion.

Let's take a step back. Let's forget all the technical matters around petrol pricing, interest rates, the cost of living and our wage earning ability. Let's look at what people are actually SAYING here.

You - and your families - want the RIGHT to drive FUEL GUZZLING cars around, as much as you want, with fuel at a "reasonable" price? Yes? This is really the crux of it isnt it?

Take it a step further.

You are suggsting that "someone" needs to step in, to protect your RIGHT to have access to an AMAZINGLY POWEFUL YET SCARCE RESOURCE at a price which will allow you and your family to continue living comfortably, driving your fuel guzzling car as much as you please?

I dont know where to begin. A bit of paraphrasing may assist me in articulating my clouded monday morning perspective.

"How do you think i feel filling my xr6 up with 98 octane blah blah blah".

Let me tell you a story about a close friend of mine. Life was comfortable. He and his fiancee had bought a house, both worked full time and lived comfortably. He'd got himself an AUXR6 and chipped it up - ran it on 98 octane all the time.

Along came the inception of his first son. Now, Mrs gave up work to look after the young lad. Take the increase in expenses for the lad who was well on his way, coupled with earnings ability being reduced to single income.

Now - pop quiz. Did my friend:

a) Continue driving a high octane gas guzzler and simply assume/demand that "someone" would ensure he had continued access to fossil fuels at an "acceptable" price?

Or

b) Sell the AU, put the money to good use and buy a gemini for a few hundred dollars which gets him to work and back at a fraction of the cost which the AU did?

Judging by the attitude of most AFFers, I suspect many may have answered a). I regret to inform you that this was not the course of action he took. He had a choice - and he chose to sacrifice his luxurious, leather-clad sports car and move to something more modest - for the sake of his family's disposable income.

"If the government does this or if the government does that, then i'll be able to keep driving my 30 year old V8 hardtop/300hp BA/custom turbo falcon/tired, uneconomical XR6 for the same amount of money which its been costing me up until now".

Wake up and smell the coffee guys. I know it cant be easy financially supporting a family in this day and age. I'm single (well, im not married) and look after my own affairs and.. to be honest... live a life of luxury.... renting in a nice suburb, cable TV, sweet job, gas guzzling cars, urinating money up against a wall.... but dont think for a minute i have a silver spoon because i put myself through uni (now lose $100/ft night through HECS repayments lol - that's the amount i used to live on when working 1 day per week when studying - including rent) and sacrificed a lot (days on end without food in the last year of uni) to get into the comfortable postion in which i find myself...

This is a life i have chosen. If you have a problem with that, inform someone who cares.

And it sickens me to see you attack shockwave PURELY because of the circumstances of his life. He doesnt provide for a family and has a living arrangement with his parents - and you see this as reason to attack him and discredit his opinion? Some of you should be ashamed.

I certainly wouldnt be ignorant enough to judge anyone and their financial decisions... i dont judge anyone who has had a curveball thrown at them... but i'll be damned if im going to sit here and listen to everyone whinge and complain whilst doing nothing to help themselves.

I guess to summarise my conservative ranting - play the hand you've been dealt, dont worry about what cards someone like shockwave has.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #98
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
snip
Yes, as parents we do it tough and have a whinge somedays (and believe me its justified when the Govt trys to shaft families at every turn) but ask any of them, even the ones doing it as tough as it gets, do they regret having kids? Dont think too many would say yes.

I'll enjoy it when I'm 70 and the come to visit me with my grandkids I'm sure. Will be nice to get visitors dont you think?
Can't say I regret having kids as much as I hate them at times. In the end, when I'm old my children will look after me just like I did them. I don't spoil my children but I'd rather go without so they can have something.

My children will inherit my home when I die. I will educate them in the art of being a tight a*r*s*e as thats what it requires to get somewhere in this world. Hopefully they'll move into my home and use their home as a rental property (income) and eventually as the generations go on. One day one of my blood relatives won't have to work and will possibly be as narrow minding and blind due to being money rich.

My parents are actually leaving me nothing when they die. They're selling everything but I think that's selfish. Someone has to look after the younger generation of our family and it looks like I'll be the one starting it. No-one else can see sense.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #99
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
My parents are actually leaving me nothing when they die. They're selling everything but I think that's selfish. Someone has to look after the younger generation of our family and it looks like I'll be the one starting it. No-one else can see sense.
While I know my Mum (as my Dad has passed away) will leave my brother and I something as thats what they have always believed is the right thing to do. However I do not EXPECT anything from them, they made their own money, they bought houses they own, they are entitled to sell everything and spend, it is their choice, I do not call that selfish.

I still believe you make your own way in the world, expect nothing from no-one, if you get something its a bonus, it should NOT be expected.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
Old 01-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #100
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I drive an EL Gli that has 430,000k on the clock. It needs 98ron to stop it pinging. I live an hour (100k) away from work. I can't afford to buy a new small car due to the fact that I am paying a mortgage. No public transport availiable to me. So how am I being greedy by wanting fuel at a reasonable price? And before anyone goes on about finding a job closer to home or a home closer to my job, sometimes that just isn't possible.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 01-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #101
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

BRENX - I wasnt born with a silver spoon mate, I come from a family of 9 and on 1 income. So dont tell me I had it easy. I never had private education, I went to a public school. My family struggled and from time to time we went without a lot of stuff. I am where I am because I made the effort and put in the hard work. I own 2 homes in Sydney and a investment unit on the gold coast. Let me tell you I know whats it like to struggle
Old 01-05-2006, 01:00 PM   #102
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
My word, listen to you all. Shockwave - i applaud you for having the balls to stand up, speak your mind and go against the popular AFF opinion.

Let's take a step back. Let's forget all the technical matters around petrol pricing, interest rates, the cost of living and our wage earning ability. Let's look at what people are actually SAYING here.

You - and your families - want the RIGHT to drive FUEL GUZZLING cars around, as much as you want, with fuel at a "reasonable" price? Yes? This is really the crux of it isnt it?

Take it a step further.

You are suggsting that "someone" needs to step in, to protect your RIGHT to have access to an AMAZINGLY POWEFUL YET SCARCE RESOURCE at a price which will allow you and your family to continue living comfortably, driving your fuel guzzling car as much as you please?

I dont know where to begin. A bit of paraphrasing may assist me in articulating my clouded monday morning perspective.

"How do you think i feel filling my xr6 up with 98 octane blah blah blah".

Let me tell you a story about a close friend of mine. Life was comfortable. He and his fiancee had bought a house, both worked full time and lived comfortably. He'd got himself an AUXR6 and chipped it up - ran it on 98 octane all the time.

Along came the inception of his first son. Now, Mrs gave up work to look after the young lad. Take the increase in expenses for the lad who was well on his way, coupled with earnings ability being reduced to single income.

Now - pop quiz. Did my friend:

a) Continue driving a high octane gas guzzler and simply assume/demand that "someone" would ensure he had continued access to fossil fuels at an "acceptable" price?

Or

b) Sell the AU, put the money to good use and buy a gemini for a few hundred dollars which gets him to work and back at a fraction of the cost which the AU did?

Judging by the attitude of most AFFers, I suspect many may have answered a). I regret to inform you that this was not the course of action he took. He had a choice - and he chose to sacrifice his luxurious, leather-clad sports car and move to something more modest - for the sake of his family's disposable income.

"If the government does this or if the government does that, then i'll be able to keep driving my 30 year old V8 hardtop/300hp BA/custom turbo falcon/tired, uneconomical XR6 for the same amount of money which its been costing me up until now".

Wake up and smell the coffee guys. I know it cant be easy financially supporting a family in this day and age. I'm single (well, im not married) and look after my own affairs and.. to be honest... live a life of luxury.... renting in a nice suburb, cable TV, sweet job, gas guzzling cars, urinating money up against a wall.... but dont think for a minute i have a silver spoon because i put myself through uni (now lose $100/ft night through HECS repayments lol - that's the amount i used to live on when working 1 day per week when studying - including rent) and sacrificed a lot (days on end without food in the last year of uni) to get into the comfortable postion in which i find myself...

This is a life i have chosen. If you have a problem with that, inform someone who cares.

And it sickens me to see you attack shockwave PURELY because of the circumstances of his life. He doesnt provide for a family and has a living arrangement with his parents - and you see this as reason to attack him and discredit his opinion? Some of you should be ashamed.

I certainly wouldnt be ignorant enough to judge anyone and their financial decisions... i dont judge anyone who has had a curveball thrown at them... but i'll be damned if im going to sit here and listen to everyone whinge and complain whilst doing nothing to help themselves.

I guess to summarise my conservative ranting - play the hand you've been dealt, dont worry about what cards someone like shockwave has.
I never attacked shockwave, nor did I attack djjase. I did point out that their views (like yours) appear to be very narrow. You seem to have a great life and I applaude you for it, as I too consider my life wonderful. However to say "stop whinging, get on with it" is pretty blind to reality.

I'll give you an example (and no, nothing to do with petrol as I have accepted the cost of it long ago). Lets take Brenx to start with. His wife was injured through no fault of her own and can no longer work. She is entitled to a pension however cant get it as Brenx earns over whatever limit applies to means testing. Yet, come tax time, Brenx can not lodge a tax return in both names (splitting income) as that is not allowed. So the governements (all of them, this has been the case my whole life) get to double dip. They take Brenx's income as his wives income as it suits them (so they dont have to pay) yet take Brenx's income as his own come tax time (to maximus income tax). This is horrendeously unfair dont you think? Double dipping once again.
My wife and I are in the same position too. Add on top a disabled child (yes, card I was dealt, I make no complaints) however, as it is a rare and "undocumented" condition he is not considered as "disabled as some" and therefore we have to foot most of the bills for it. Such is life... but not yours so why would you care? I'm just a whinging bloody parent.

As for cars themselves.. I went a VERY long time without any sort of decent car. It is only now, as things get a little easier (hard work, smart decisions, lots of luck and many, many years of going without almost everything). I have earned my car now and my family suffers very little more than some time without me for it.

Dont just assume we are all just sooky selfish pricks.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #103
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

Quote:
BRENX - I wasnt born with a silver spoon mate, I come from a family of 9 and on 1 income. So dont tell me I had it easy. I never had private education, I went to a public school. My family struggled and from time to time we went without a lot of stuff. I am where I am because I made the effort and put in the hard work. I own 2 homes in Sydney and a investment unit on the gold coast. Let me tell you I know whats it like to struggle
Then why are you Picking on the families then. You obviously know first hand how hard it can be. So why are you belittling us for standing up and saying enough is enough on the cost of fuel etc. Or is it you just think that you are better than everybody else. Like shockwave you are going to learn later on that those who act like that get no help and get no support when it is needed.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #104
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I should also mention selling a home because you can't afford it doesn't stop any of the problems. Why? You have to live somewhere.

I'm continually giving my wife reality checks. She seems to think we can sell this house (it is on the market) and purchase another home and be home free. That's not the case. It might mean slight debt reduction but it's very minimal at the least. In some cases I could sell my 30sq home and move to a 20sq home but the mortgage would be identical. I'll stay in my 30sq home before I move into a box for the same $. Stamp duties and sale costs eat any money we would have made from the sale.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #105
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
I never attacked shockwave, nor did I attack djjase. I did point out that their views (like yours) appear to be very narrow. You seem to have a great life and I applaude you for it, as I too consider my life wonderful. However to say "stop whinging, get on with it" is pretty blind to reality.

I'll give you an example (and no, nothing to do with petrol as I have accepted the cost of it long ago). Lets take Brenx to start with. His wife was injured through no fault of her own and can no longer work. She is entitled to a pension however cant get it as Brenx earns over whatever limit applies to means testing. Yet, come tax time, Brenx can not lodge a tax return in both names (splitting income) as that is not allowed. So the governements (all of them, this has been the case my whole life) get to double dip. They take Brenx's income as his wives income as it suits them (so they dont have to pay) yet take Brenx's income as his own come tax time (to maximus income tax). This is horrendeously unfair dont you think? Double dipping once again.
My wife and I are in the same position too. Add on top a disabled child (yes, card I was dealt, I make no complaints) however, as it is a rare and "undocumented" condition he is not considered as "disabled as some" and therefore we have to foot most of the bills for it. Such is life... but not yours so why would you care? I'm just a whinging bloody parent.

As for cars themselves.. I went a VERY long time without any sort of decent car. It is only now, as things get a little easier (hard work, smart decisions, lots of luck and many, many years of going without almost everything). I have earned my car now and my family suffers very little more than some time without me for it.

None of you seem to get it do you, you think because you have kids that you are so badly done by when it comes to your financial position. But did you ever think about this kind of stuff when you were my age? Did you ever plan ahead or work your balls off to pay for a nice car and let go of having a good time? In comparision to 90% of people my age i have a very boring life, i sacrifice having a good time and going out just so i can make my monthly payments, and at the same time im working neways at either work or on my uni stuff so that i can earn a decent in come by the time im 25. I dont have a girlfriend at the moment because I am too commited to what im trying to achieve, ofcourse i want one but I need to do other things first.

By the time im ready to have kids I will own my first property outright, as for my car i will always have a new car every 4 years on lease, i will never own a car outright which doesnt bother me. As i say we all have choices in life, some peoples might be limited while otheres might have an abundance of things they can do, but at the end of the day theres no point in whinging about petrol prices or how we are taxed, we just have to work harder to make up for it. You talk about going without things for a long time, did it make you want to work harder? I go without having things i want to, but at the end of the day atleast I know im getting somewhere, rather thing whigning my *** off because things don't suit me.

Thats the biggest problem with Australians, everyones to use to the easy / good time life where all they do is sit on their asses all weekend drinking beer and watching tv, i know most of you are going to say you dont fall into this category which is fine, but i know alot of whingers who do just this who carry on about income tax and the rising costs of petrol.

People also talk about Poliitical parties and their promises if they are elected to, but do they ever come through with the goods? Some cases yes but a large percentage of the time they are lies..
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:18 PM   #106
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Shane - although my tone is often abrasive, i would reiterate that i dont judge other people, their positions or their choices in life. By raising certain issues on a public forum, i assume they are inviting comment on what has been said... this is not judging anyone/anything... this is responding to what is written/asked. I'd like to note that nothing i said was directly aimed at you (although you may have been caught up in the crossfire).... your response above is a breath of fresh air in this thread in its clarity and maturity.

I am not familiar with the personal circumstances of most people here on AFF. The health/otherwise of their children/families. Financial difficulty they may endure or the financial health they may enjoy. And as ive pointed out a few times - i would never, never, never judge anyone based on such information.

Such as your example with (a member i have enjoyed many a discussion with ) Brenx. You would need a heart of stone to think such a circumstance was fair - and i imagine his situation would be felt all across our country... i dont understand the rationale behind means testing or the taxation system. I can only assume its a case (as in many instances) of the government addressing the abuse of pension/welfare systems -and as usual, the honest australian gets s-c-r-e-w-e-d over as the government attempts to cut off those trying to cheat the system. Yet another case of the minority of a-s-s-holes ruining it for honest australians. Id like to see the cheats and frauds of this country irradicated before having the government step in to intervene with the cost of fuel for australian families.

Imagine what the honest people of australia could accomplish if we were not faced with the burden of covering the cost of those out to defraud the country for their own gain.

Whilst my comments probably offend - that is not my intention. Yes i do have a narrow view of the world, as narrow as a view can get when discussing very complex issues.

It's not that i dont care. I just dont see the government's role being one to step in and right the wrongs of the world.

I sincerely apologise if anyone thinks i am attacking any specific member's personal circumstances.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:20 PM   #107
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Beaver
Then why are you Picking on the families then. You obviously know first hand how hard it can be. So why are you belittling us for standing up and saying enough is enough on the cost of fuel etc. Or is it you just think that you are better than everybody else. Like shockwave you are going to learn later on that those who act like that get no help and get no support when it is needed.
You really dont know how to read do you ? Where am i picking on families ? I am stating that of the families that I know who complain that they are doing it tough because of increase fuel prices... should I say that again so everyone can understand what I just said. Too many people in here just read a bit then raunt off uncocked and taking things out of context. Where am I belittling anyone ? Most of those who have stated they are in their 30's plus I dont see you all complaining when petrol went from 68c/ltr to 90c/ltr when the 1st war started with Iraq. You all need to wake up to reality petrol prices are going to increase, the cost of living is going to increase. We all voted the GST in, we all voted the Govt in, so who is to blame - we are the people of Aust. So just accept it, it is a part of life so get on with it - how ever you want to live it. Mr Howard reckons there is no class's in Aust - sorry there is. there are those who struggle and will continue cause they dont know how or dont want to make a change, there are those who are in the middle and those few who are rich and will continue to be so.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:22 PM   #108
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
We all voted the GST in, we all voted the Govt in, so who is to blame - we are the people of Aust
I would like to say the Majority voted them in, I did not, so lets not start that debate please

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
Old 01-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #109
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I am 36, never been married and have no kids that I know of. Does that make me the same as the 20 year old ?
Of course not...

But what you do not realise is that until you have kids, you have nothing.

You may have to give up a tv set or exhaust or whatever trifles are important in your life but you don't have to wait for the results of your child's brain scan.

Is it a tumour? Is it an essential tremor? For Christ's sake, is it something else?

Will she live?

Will she die?

You also do not get a hug from your kids; you don't get to enjoy their wins and help them get over their losses. You don't get the joy of watching them grow and develop, nor the unconditional love from your young ones.

Enjoy your trifles, they are obviously very important to you.

I'm sorry for you that you have not had the pleasure of your own family. I hope for your sake that one day you get around to it.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:25 PM   #110
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Aussie's sitting on the watching TV or drinking beer all w/e. That's a big generalisation to make. Considering a large part of the Australian work force works part time. Partly due to full time positions not being available anymore. Those part time positions mean people are working odd hours 24/7. In my current position I work day shift, afternoon shift and nightshift. All in one roster. Pretty much at the same daytime payrate too. I'm going night shift soon but I still get payed the very same rate. It's a sacrifice that had to be made to cut our living costs down. I can reduce my childcare bill dramatically which some will be put into fuel bills and the rest into my mortgage. I'd kill to actually have a full weekend of work. I've just worked from Friday 10am - Sunday 7pm. I'm due to start work again @ 2pm and will return home @ 10:30am.

Only white collar workers work 9-5 and it's very rare at that. Most of the workforce are blue collor part time shift workers.

Thank christ my night shift position is full time hours. I can finally take a day or weekend off work without being penalised for it.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #111
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

It seems as though no one has lived life until they have had kids - what a joke. Just because you have had a kid doesnt make your life any different to mine - I breath the same polluted air, I pay the same excessive petrol price, I have bills. If it is such a burden then why did you have a family. I am sorry for you ronwest that you might have a child with a health problem. but dont think that your the only one mate. Ohhh i dont have kids and I dont know whats it like.... why are you all so self centred. I must be living on a different planet. Just accept it. If your doing it tough and you complain about petrol prices and yet you go and buy a $25.00 dvd then I have no pity on you. If your like some legit people who can't afford a holiday or go with out something so their kid can have something, I feel sorry for you and I hope things will work out for you. Everyone of us are different and we all live our lives differently. I made the choice to make sure that I was well off before I brought a child into this world so that as a family we can enjoy life and not have to struggle. Some of my friends chose to do it the other way and they are struggling. I have a number of times helped people in times of need so dont go judging me becaus none of you know what my circumstances are.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #112
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
I would like to say the Majority voted them in, I did not, so lets not start that debate please
Neither did I. My number crunching showed I'd be worse off. Now the gov't are agreeing what blind Fredy saw many years ago. The GST implementation has been a bungle. As the taxes it was supposed to replace haven't been removed. Now we get double/triple taxed. If the stamp duties were removed as promised and as legistlated we'd all be better off.

nb : I don't take any of what has been said to heart as such. I don't mind a good debate. Maybe some have noticed ;) I'd rather paint a real picture than post what life isn't. I'm lucky I haven't done it as hard as my dad yet but I still have 30-40 years of working life to go. We'll see what happens I guess.

The amount of users of AFF presents a variety of people from varying working backgrounds. Some can't see what's infront of their face till they are shown. Some forget life is full of surprises and not nessarily good ones.

I don't regret having my children early in life as it'll pay dividends later in life when I'm around 45. I chose to not delay children for that reason alone. I didnt' want to have an 18yo child @ home when I was 55-60 and trying to slow work down.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #113
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

Quote:
Come on guys, fairs fair. There are so many families out there who say they are struggling but really should look at themselves. I know of heaps of families who are very low income earniers with 3 or 4 kids thinking they are doing it tough. Yeah so tough they can still afford to smoke and buy alohol, afford to buy tim tams and a whole load of crap like chocolate milk and lollies and dvd's etc. Ohh life must be so hard. What people really need to do is to take a good look at what they spend their money on. Create a real budget. Yeah Yeah there might be some families out there who are struggling and not wasting 1 cent on junk and I feel sorry for those. How many struggling families really need 2 cars ? thats double the rego, insurance, maintenance, petrol. At the end of the day we will all have to make a sacrifice in something. I myself might mean not been able to buy a 50" Plasma now or to spend $1500 on a new exhaust for the BA. I am 36, never been married and have no kids that I know of. Does that make me the same as the 20 year old ? I think not, I like everyone has had my share of life's experiences. Just because your in you 30's or 40's or later doesnt mean that your lifes experience is any better or worse than someone else. We all make decisions in our lives that put us where we are. I made a decision to get into IT, so I am extremely well paid, but I put in all the hard work to get where i am. Don't discredit the 20 yo bloke who's having a go. good on him for at least trying and not been like so many other young people who just drink, do drugs and crime. Everyone needs to wake up - thats all of us because things are just going to keep getting worse. You think it is hard now, wait to when Iran is attacked see what the fuel prices will be like then.....
as posted by you djjase.

Seems to me that you where in fact putting families down. You may think that by being an outsider that you have all the knowledge on those families but guess again. There is always more that goes on that you will not know about.

In fact it is starting to seem very clear in fact that this is not a family friendly forum, I feel rather that its just for those few elitist who think that having a family automatically makes us a target for people like you. You will learn one day and sadly you will probably be hit very hard by it. You need to see that just because as families we are not prepared to put our heads in the sand and hide out from it or work doubly hard just to get ahead, as people think we should do. We instead think of our children first. I know I couldnt imagine going back to work to leave my children unattended just so I could be rich in money like you ( as you make yourself out to be). My children are the world to me and so therefore I choose to fight tooth and nail to see that they get the best life has to offer. If that means kicking up a stink about people like you or the cost of living then I shall dam well do it. I refuse to sit back and bury my head in the sand so that people like you can kick me up the a r s e just so you can say that your better than every one else. Do you know what, It will be my childrens tax paying for your old age.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:38 PM   #114
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
None of you seem to get it do you, you think because you have kids that you are so badly done by when it comes to your financial position. But did you ever think about this kind of stuff when you were my age? Did you ever plan ahead or work your balls off to pay for a nice car and let go of having a good time? In comparision to 90% of people my age i have a very boring life, i sacrifice having a good time and going out just so i can make my monthly payments, and at the same time im working neways at either work or on my uni stuff so that i can earn a decent in come by the time im 25. I dont have a girlfriend at the moment because I am too commited to what im trying to achieve, ofcourse i want one but I need to do other things first.
Of course I planned ahead. My wife and I purchased a newish car and our own home before my first born was even on the scene. I had a good steady job, as did my wife. We had money in the bank and were doing great. We had it all planned out nicely just like you (albiet a bout 6 years further down the track). Then came a few of those wonderful life curveballs. I hope you dont get any of them. Little things like companies going under and taking your salary with them, workplace injuries and the like really screw up your day. Of course I'm assuming your too smart to fall into those sorts of problems arnt you?

Quote:
By the time im ready to have kids I will own my first property outright,
Based on current circumstances. You're assuming nothing will change. I hope you are lucky and they dont... but you are assuming a little too much. Life is prone to making major turns every now and then.

Quote:
as for my car i will always have a new car every 4 years on lease, i will never own a car outright which doesnt bother me.
Thats excellent. Thats a good smart choice and I hope it continues for you. See "curveball" point above.

Quote:
As i say we all have choices in life, some peoples might be limited while otheres might have an abundance of things they can do, but at the end of the day theres no point in whinging about petrol prices or how we are taxed, we just have to work harder to make up for it.
Yeah, just like it was just silly for women to whinge about getting the vote or for those sooking miners at the Eureka Stockade for complaining about excessive taxes? Its not abou whining for the sake of whining.. its about trying to have a voice heard so that the governments make the decisions that are right for the majority,
Quote:
You talk about going without things for a long time, did it make you want to work harder?
Both harder and smarter. I was fortunate though, many didnt have the chances I got.
Quote:
I go without having things i want to, but at the end of the day atleast I know im getting somewhere, rather thing whigning my *** off because things don't suit me.
I go without lots of things, my wife probably moreso but I make a point that my family doesnt (to the best of my ability). I have made a committment to them (one you will understand one day) that is far more intense then any individual committment to myself.

Quote:
Thats the biggest problem with Australians, everyones to use to the easy / good time life where all they do is sit on their asses all weekend drinking beer and watching tv, i know most of you are going to say you dont fall into this category which is fine, but i know alot of whingers who do just this who carry on about income tax and the rising costs of petrol.
Thanks for the gross generalisation there. Maybe I should make one too?.

Thats the biggest problem with Single/childless Australians, everyones to use to the easy / good time life where all they do is look out for their own selfish personal interests and blame everyone else for having a whinge, i know most of you are going to say you dont fall into this category which is fine, but i know alot of single.childless people who do just this who carry on about how everyone should just get over it and grow up
Pretty blatent stereotyping huh?

Old 01-05-2006, 01:40 PM   #115
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
as posted by you djjase.

Seems to me that you where in fact putting families down. You may think that by being an outsider that you have all the knowledge on those families but guess again. There is always more that goes on that you will not know about.

In fact it is starting to seem very clear in fact that this is not a family friendly forum, I feel rather that its just for those few elitist who think that having a family automatically makes us a target for people like you. You will learn one day and sadly you will probably be hit very hard by it. You need to see that just because as families we are not prepared to put our heads in the sand and hide out from it or work doubly hard just to get ahead, as people think we should do. We instead think of our children first. I know I couldnt imagine going back to work to leave my children unattended just so I could be rich in money like you ( as you make yourself out to be). My children are the world to me and so therefore I choose to fight tooth and nail to see that they get the best life has to offer. If that means kicking up a stink about people like you or the cost of living then I shall dam well do it. I refuse to sit back and bury my head in the sand so that people like you can kick me up the a r s e just so you can say that your better than every one else. Do you know what, It will be my childrens tax paying for your old age.
What a load of crap, just hold on while i get you a box of tissues. You cannot comprehend what the guy is saying, as for this forum it is one of the most FAMILY friendly forums ive seen, its all above board and families are incorporated into many of the cruises / clubs that are associated with this forum.

The guy doesnt think hes better then you or anyone else for that fact and nor do i, we are happy however to accept that the cost of living is bound to go up and theres very little that can be done with it, GET OVER IT! :monkes:
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #116
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

Actually shockwave you are one of those that are making this an unfriendly environment alone with djjase. He was and as I read it, making out that all families dont deserve to winge and complain. Oh and I dont need those box of tissues thanks, I am a mother of four children, one of which is lot tougher than you will ever be. He is the reason I fight every damn day. He has no speech and has to deal with people like you that think families dont have the right to fight for cheaper living. I am tired of not being able to afford to take him to doctors appointments because of A. the cost of fuel and B. the cost of doctors. But thats ok its my problem so if excuse me while I stand up and yell a few times, especially when I am dealing with people like you who think that you know all and have all the knowledge to show us usless parents a thing or two. Oh and by the way I think you should read my husbands post that is above yours two.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #117
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

Actually angry beaver, my taxes are paying for those lazy sods on the dole, my taxes are paying for health care of those on lower wages... why because I pay a crap load more because I am a single in the higest tax bracket. When i do my tax return I can't claim a child, I dont get any money from the Govt for a child or two. All of you who have kids dont forget that I am paying for you to receive that money so shut the up when it comes to petrol prices. You have no idea of what I was saying do you. Go back and read my very first post. Not once was I picking on you or anyone else in this forum. I stated the obvious - I was referring to families that I know of and have a lot of contact with. Why have you all just picked on ShockWaveXR6na and myself for stating the obvious - not once have we picked on YOU !!!! your all taking it personally when that was not nor never the intentions. Go and learn how to read and understand what has been written.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:54 PM   #118
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
So why are you belittling us for standing up and saying enough is enough on the cost of fuel etc.
AB, at the risk of individually addressing a comment... this "kind of statement" concerns me.

"enough is enough"

Is it?

Is it really the government's job to 'step in' and take specific action to combat the price of an international commodity?

I mean not to belittle anyone - but i dont see it as a realistic proposition. Sure, i'd rather not be paying $1.42 a litre to fuel a car that destroys 20 litres per 100km travelled... but anything the government can do (which i personally believe they should not) will be a short term solution. We WILL end up back at square one, with a massive hole in the budget (a hole which will be filled by removing public schools, hospital beds and welfare payments).

In my opinion, a better proposition would be for us all to gear ourselves to cope with the new fuel pricing environment... but your preference appears to be for the status quo with state intervention to ensure that families need to make no adjustments to their lifestyle?

I dont see either as being right or wrong... but i think ive made my preference fairly clear...
Old 01-05-2006, 01:56 PM   #119
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
What a load of crap, just hold on while i get you a box of tissues. You cannot comprehend what the guy is saying, as for this forum it is one of the most FAMILY friendly forums ive seen, its all above board and families are incorporated into many of the cruises / clubs that are associated with this forum.

The guy doesnt think hes better then you or anyone else for that fact and nor do i, we are happy however to accept that the cost of living is bound to go up and theres very little that can be done with it, GET OVER IT! :monkes:
I don't have a problem with the cost of living going up but I do have a problem when wages don't go up to match it. By the way I don't have any kids yet and won't until my circumstances change so that I can give them everything that I didn't get when I was a kid.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:58 PM   #120
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
AB, at the risk of individually addressing a comment... this "kind of statement" concerns me.

"enough is enough"

Is it?

Is it really the government's job to 'step in' and take specific action to combat the price of an international commodity?

I mean not to belittle anyone - but i dont see it as a realistic proposition. Sure, i'd rather not be paying $1.42 a litre to fuel a car that destroys 20 litres per 100km travelled... but anything the government can do (which i personally believe they should not) will be a short term solution. We WILL end up back at square one, with a massive hole in the budget (a hole which will be filled by removing public schools, hospital beds and welfare payments).

In my opinion, a better proposition would be for us all to gear ourselves to cope with the new fuel pricing environment... but your preference appears to be for the status quo with state intervention to ensure that families need to make no adjustments to their lifestyle?

I dont see either as being right or wrong... but i think ive made my preference fairly clear...
How about taxing us once instead of twice?
Closed Thread