Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #91
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford: "We will never outsell Commodore again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Now Ford need to use that experience and with the Focus3 out need to jump at the opportunity to get some ST & RS Focus out here as soon as they're released and not sit on it.
Shouldn't FPV be doing that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
That's what went through my head...when the Chinese can export and sell a dual cab Ute with four wheel drive, leath guts, and all sorts of comfort features for half the price of a Hilux, what hope would a Falcon have over there at the price it would have to be sold at?
so....build falcon in china? (it could work?)
Old 11-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #92
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
Shouldn't FPV be doing that?
doesn't matter whether it is Ford or FPV that import them they need to get on them as soon as they can.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #93
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
What else was changed?

Headlights were changed, ever so slightly.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #94
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Headlights were changed, ever so slightly.
From browsing the wreckers, it seems the BF has one less hole in the front quarter panel for mounting the plastic clip assembly that holds the front bar in place. BA had 3, BF seems to only have 2. Cost-cutting.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #95
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
What else was changed?

Grill and slight rear end "tweeking". I wouldn't expect the rear end (as in cradle) to be spotted, but the grill sticks out like the perverable dogs.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #96
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Excuse me for being a dumb ***, but isn't FPV a seperate company to Ford. Very much like HSV is to Holden.

Tom Walkingshaw did import a HSV to his native England and had a "play" with it about 2 years ago. Unfortunately the Aussie powers to be didn't approve of his modifications, so they didn't allow it to come back to this country.

So going along those lines, 888 engineering's parent company in England (I'm sure it's a Ford based race company) could do a similar thing. get an Aussie Falcon and have a little "play" with it over there.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #97
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Excuse me for being a dumb ***, but isn't FPV a seperate company to Ford. Very much like HSV is to Holden.
51% is owned by Prodrive, 49% owned by Ford
Old 11-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #98
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart

styling is not a personal thing, it can be judged by sales, and obiously Holdens is a timeless design, and a winner.
No, it is a personal thing. Take a look at the AU and compare it to the VT. The Commodore slaughtered the Falcon in sales, despite the Falcon being superior in EVERY measurable area. In fact, it was probably the time when the Falcon was furthest ahead of the Commodore. The VT had incredibly safe styling (even Hyundai was exploiting the bubble theme at the time), but the AU was radically different. Most did not warm to the AU, and considered it to be styled less elegantly than the VT.

However, opinions have changed dramatically. 13/14 years on, the AU has stood the test of time. The VT has failed to do so. The AU appears fresh and modern, and could easily fit in with other modern cars on the road, whereas the VT simply looks dated. Mercedes-Benz even decided to take inspiration from the AU for its CLS (that company has a history of being 'inspired' by Australian designs when introducing new models).

As well as this, have you ever considered that people purchase cars for reasons other than looks? The VE may outsell the FG due to Holden's sophisticated marketing strategy, the greater interior space, the touchscreen (which is in my experience infuriating, but some people like that sort of masochism I guess), or the perception of it being 'Australia's Own'.

Maybe the looks play a part, I don't know, but there has been nothing to indicate that the general consensus is that the VE is much better looking than the FG. I believe it's safe to say that this was the case for the AU; almost every motoring publication at the time (while praising the AU's handling and steering feel) criticised its looks somehow, with terms ranging from 'ugly' to 'fugly' (used by MOTOR magazine), whereas the VT's styling was always praised. The resale value of ELs went up dramatically the moment the AU was unveiled. However, the FG is not commonly viewed to be ugly (as a matter of fact, it's incredibly safe styling is often praised by motoring journalists and the general public).

If you like the way the VE is styled, that's fine, but that doesn't mean it's timeless, or that the reason the Commodore sells more than the Falcon is due to styling. The AU-VT scenario was different to the VE-FG one we are facing now.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #99
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
You haven't looked real well at them then. Bit more than the front bar was changed panel wise.

Explain why Ford only changed the front guards and headlights, when it came to the BA BF transition, panel wise. Because they were broke as well?

Simple fact is, car makers all round the world are just finding their feet again, so they will only make minimal changes with model upgrades so they can save a bit of coin. But you can bet, once the coin starts rolling in, all car makers will start the big upgrades.
The only sheetmetal change for VEII was to add a slight extension to the boot lid for aero, barely noticeable. Everything else in just plastic. Holden were broke during the GFC, they even have said themselves they were living day to day analysing cash flow to make sure they were able to keep themselves going, during GM's bankruptcy. They were extremely concerned GM was going to shut them down, and there survival was teetering on the edge. They have admitted that it was a close run thing. They had been losing money every year since VE's release, they spent a fortune on the Zeta platform that GM was going to build a range of vehicles off, including Impala, a Buick etc, but GM backed out leaving them to fit the bill. Its part of the reason why Holden has only made a profit once in the past 6 years, leaving them with no money to perform the VF upgrade they had planned for last year, with significant sheetmetal changes. It has now been put back to 2014.

Ford did not have a lot of money to spend on BF, because they spent way more than they usually do on an update trying to make up for the AU. $500 million for the BA is double what they would usually spend on an update, leaving not much in the kitty for the BF.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #100
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The only sheetmetal change for VEII was to add a slight extension to the boot lid for aero, barely noticeable. Everything else in just plastic. Holden were broke during the GFC, they even have said themselves they were living day to day analysing cash flow to make sure they were able to keep themselves going, during GM's bankruptcy. They were extremely concerned GM was going to shut them down, and there survival was teetering on the edge. They have admitted that it was a close run thing. They had been losing money every year since VE's release, they spent a fortune on the Zeta platform that GM was going to build a range of vehicles off, including Impala, a Buick etc, but GM backed out leaving them to fit the bill. Its part of the reason why Holden has only made a profit once in the past 6 years, leaving them with no money to perform the VF upgrade they had planned for last year, with significant sheetmetal changes. It has now been put back to 2014.

Ford did not have a lot of money to spend on BF, because they spent way more than they usually do on an update trying to make up for the AU. $500 million for the BA is double what they would usually spend on an update, leaving not much in the kitty for the BF.

Mate, fact of it all is, every car maker, Ford and Holden included, were struggling a couple of years ago. Planned upgrades were shelved temporarily, because they didn't know how long they were going to stay in business. Or in laymans terms, they didn't have the big kitty they thought they'd have to make major changes.

Now that the car market has picked up, you can bet your lefty, upgrades will come, when the profit line dictates it. In Holdens case, they anticipate it to be 2014. Ford, who knows. They don't seem to be advertising it too well. (Or have they? I don't know)

Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 AM   #101
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Extremely sad news, but this is the harsh reality of the industry today. If FPV can release that "Black" GT concept I feel that will be the Falcon's swan song, at least as we know it today.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #102
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Mate, fact of it all is, every car maker, Ford and Holden included, were struggling a couple of years ago. Planned upgrades were shelved temporarily, because they didn't know how long they were going to stay in business. Or in laymans terms, they didn't have the big kitty they thought they'd have to make major changes.
Fair comment and Holden always said its emphasis would be on power train upgrades like 3.0 and 3.6 SIDI engines and now interior and equipment upgrades....

Quote:
Now that the car market has picked up, you can bet your lefty, upgrades will come, when the profit line dictates it. In Holdens case, they anticipate it to be 2014. Ford, who knows. They don't seem to be advertising it too well. (Or have they? I don't know)
GM has a plan to axe half of its global platforms in the next few years, there's every chance that VE will get it lighter panels but run on with slight interior changes and upgrades to the exterior until 2017/8.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #103
BHDOGS
Banned

Who cares if ford never outsell holden again its time to shelve this archaic rivalry from the 80s when people cared and get on with the future
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #104
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
Why? When the ford fans on here don't show any, Why should they?
AGREE!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post