Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #91
Joths
Starter Motor

Cool Re: Chinese Ute already recalled...

Bet its more reliable then the 2001 AU falcon was .
Joths is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #92
Paxton
Cobblers!

Default Re: Chinese Ute already recalled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joths
I know they say never feed the Troll (especially one as esteemed as a brand new member), but you have never owned an AU Falcon, have you?

They are the most reliable modern Falcon, ever. This 'Great' Wall amalgamation couldn't hold a candle to an AU, let alone an EA.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #93
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joths
Welcome to the forums and must say though ......

Best first post ever .......

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #94
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Teething problems that any new car will have.

A ute that costs half the price of its rivals.. geeze, some people are very hard to keep happy.

Ford recalls for this year:

So 3 possible brake faults, and a possible steering fault....

He / She who has never sinned can throw the first stone.
Owner of Great wall?

Edit I see 2 owners now.
Old 31-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #95
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our last vehicle, a 2004 100 series Landcruiser, had two recalls in the first eighteen months.

Everyone laughed at Japanese cars as little as thirty years ago. Twenty years ago we were taking the p1ss out of Hyundais. Ten years ago it was Kias. Now it's Chinese stuff.
Anyone who doesn't like "Chinese crap" should not look too closely at the box that their dinky di you beaut Aussie car parts came in...

There was a list read out on the ABC radio of the car and bike makers who were setting up manufacturing in China and India, and it included just about every major maker from Asia and Europe, including Harley Davidson for India.
Ford and Holden from here in Oz were about the only exceptions, but even they were mentioned as looking at sourcing major components from there in the future.
Our sons little Suzuki Alto is a well put togeher little car, with standard airbags, air and power steering, is comfortable, and uses less fuel than my GSX-1400. I was surprised to open the door and see the manufacturers tag saying it was made by some mob in India. $11990 drive away isn't to be sneezed at either.
With the "lack of power" in Great Walls, as a dealer said to our other son after they test drove an X240 (the "Prado" one), "wait until the turbo diesel later this year and watch them walk out of the showrooms by the truckload".

As for safety ratings, it's all relative. Ten years ago the only cars getting anywhere near five stars were very expensive European makes. Everythng else was down around 2 or 3 stars, and we were all happy. There has been talk lately about "moving the goalposts" as it were, with the star rating system, as almost everything is getting 4 to 5 stars, so they are considering apparently moving the scale so that 5 stars is "good", and the top ranking would be up near, say, 7 or 8. One proposal I recall was to go to a one to ten star rating, which would give finer measures and also allow a greater difference to be shown because, as I said, many ordinary cars are now easily meeting 4 or even 5 stars.

I give China 5 years max before they become a massive force in motoring.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 31-05-2011 at 10:25 AM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #96
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
I cant wait to see them in 4 - 5 years time... Remember the TATA utes.. They were literally tata after a few years!

Btw this things based on the old model Rodeo... same sheet metal and all so it started off life pretty bad in the first place!! :P
yes, but they are so cheap you could buy one every year.

I remember The Simpsons where homer buys a tin of PLankton
Lisa: "according to the 'mexican food board', this expired 2 years ago"
Homer (choking): "yes, but.. it's.. so.. cheap!"
Old 31-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #97
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Our last vehicle, a 2004 100 series Landcruiser, . . . . a massive force in motoring.
one of the common sense posts - why common sense - because history has been looked at, and history has a habit of repeating

and as some others have alluded to - the big manufacturers have had many recalls - and yet they have many years of engineering experience behind them and yet a brand new player has some issues and they are condemned. from my reckoning the cheap, brand new car should have issues - the manufacturer's that having been building for decads should not. let's not forget our beloved falcon had major problems when it started. let's not forget holden (ford too) have had quality control problems since the world go and the new kid in town gets the flak

chinese made stuff is only considered crap, because people from australia and other tight butted countries expect the cheapest price and so the chinese made it accordingly. give the chinese a chance to build a qualify product (they already do) and they will - it all comes down to what the western world wants to pay - not the level of skill from the chinese
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #98
Supercharged

I had to laugh, the adds for great wall saying you can buy one of theirs new for the cost of a second hand Japanese one but a second hand Great Wall 4x4 twin cab was in the paper, 20,000 kays, 9 months old at $11,000 and took a few weeks to sell. I was thinking why are you selling that, perhaps they discovered it was a load of *****.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #99
LightningStrike

No laugh for me - I'd buy it and treat it like crap for work, and keep my XR6T as a weekender without a mark on it.

The funny thing is, in a few years time when the brand is more well known, the ute woudl be easier to sell. And if you got three years out of it and sold it to simsmetal (which you wouldn't) - $11k across 3 years is awesome value for a work ute.

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
LightningStrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #100
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufLTD
I'll bet this isn't the last recall on these POS.
I am sure it wonr be just like the major brands , Holden have quite a few but of course they get shoved under the carpet , Ford cetainly has , the thing is the GW will improve and in time just like the japs I expect it to set the mark in it's price range and somewhat above
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #101
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
excellent post full noise ,but everyone knew this would happen china and quality are miles apart ....and no they shouldn't be on sale
Once years ago we had "Gerry Built"then Jap Crap"now a new brand , give it a decade
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #102
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrike
No laugh for me - I'd buy it and treat it like crap for work, and keep my XR6T as a weekender without a mark on it.

The funny thing is, in a few years time when the brand is more well known, the ute woudl be easier to sell. And if you got three years out of it and sold it to simsmetal (which you wouldn't) - $11k across 3 years is awesome value for a work ute.
I hear that they like a drink as at this stage they are petrol. I have noticed amost all the traditional models from other manufacturers are all discounted which makes it difficult for them to bring in the Diesel version and still make some money. A Ranger you can buy today for about $10,000 less than say 2 years ago. I don't care how cheap they are as they are butt ugly.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #103
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a thought...if length of time of being in the business is some sort of guarantee of quality as people seem to assume, then why do we still have any recalls for Holden, Ford, Toyota, etc, who have been doing it for many decades and should have figured out now how to not make any errors...shouldn't they?

The standard logic...be it for cars, ipods, iPads, computers, motorbikes, or just about any other mechanical device...is to "never buy the first model of anything...wait for "Series 2" or "Mark 2" before shelling out your money".
The latest example of this was the iPad...people rushed out to be first to buy the first one, and in no time, iPad 2 came out which was lighter, thinner, faster, better battery, and two cameras. We had a VX Series 2 Lumina, which had rear camber correction arms factory fitted, whereas the first VX had the standard rear end which didn't, allowing it to sag like a forty year old VW Beetle...

The first of any new car will be plagued with problems. Series 2 will always have adressed these, and further ones just get better.

I also like the fact we live in a system where manufacturers are forced to admit thier problems and hold recalls at thier expense. I wonder how many issues were swept under the carpet by all makers in "the bad old days"...?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #104
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
as a basic cheap work hack, im sure a great wall would be fine. but hey, when it comes to my cars, i try to buy australian from now on in.

I'm philosophically against car companies putting out " beta" versions of vehicles vis a vis safety in the Australian market . If the Great Wall company wants to get up to speed with quality and safety issues, use the great unwashed in their own country as crash test dummies; fill up their own hospitals until they get it right.
Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 01:31 AM   #105
Joths
Starter Motor

I bet this ute lasts longer than the AU ute.You dont see many of them around any more
Joths is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #106
kpcart
Banned

go easy on the chinese cars. how many people are driving E series falcons that would even get 1 star for a safety rating? show one fatal accident in a chinese car, every week all i see on the news in young people in commodores, falcons and skylines dying. and how many people use bicycles, mopeds and motorcycles which dont get any attention like this because they arent chinese? everyone loves classic cars, but why dont people have the same safety concious mind for classic cars? they arent any safer then these new chinese cars. the chinese cars are Cheap, and people take a calculated risk in buying them, most accidents are due to the driver and not the car.

the chinese cars are built cheap to be cheap, and people will buy them. you cannot comepare them to cars twice the price. one day they will make cars as good as japanese cars. the same people are saying about chinese cars now, they said of korean cars in the 80s, and jap cars in the 60s, now look at hyundai, the biggest selling car in america and cars like hyundai have almost made the falcon extinct.

even if it doesnt have 1 star for safety, i bet my life saving the chinese cars will have less accidents then cars like falcons and commodores and less injuries, purely because the people that drive them will determine if there is an accident.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #107
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I'm sure some people just need to see a window and can't resist throwing a brick through it....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post