Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #91
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Personally, I would like HID lights to be banned, they are a dangerous distraction that shifts your focus on the road.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #92
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
It doesn't need to be a deal breaker, it's about Ford finally moving into the 21st century and offering standard features that can match the competition. Holden, Toyota, Nissan and Honda all have this feature, and I can tell you that FG was supposed to have it as well since all the concept drawings had HID lights (which looked very nice indeed). I'm sick of accountants running every aspect the company. In this day and age, something as simple as HID lights should be standard atleast on higher models like G series. Holden is a local manufacturer with a relatively small output volume just like Ford, yet they've been able to do it since 2002 - Ford needs to get with the program, atleast offer these kinds of things as options.
Holden hasnt had HID since 2002, its had projectors since then.
Something the Fairlane had 20 years ago.

Pretty sure only the VM Caprice gets HIDs, the rest of the VEs get projector lights.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #93
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think HID lights look crap!! Havn't seen one car with them that makes them look good.. I'd glad the Falcon does not have them & hope the don't for a long time!!

That a look at some of the technology in the Tarrus & this is what we need before useless HID lights.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #94
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Special Vehicle packs do quite well, SR (both Terri and Falcon), ES and the LE sold well. Even FPV had good runs with the GT40 and Cobras.
Think you missed the thrust of my argument. Holden releasing the VF this year will see exterior and interior updates plus the inclusion of a host of new tech (i.e. touch screen command centre with increased functionality), and that’s where my frustrations lay. To think that a 50th Anniversary XT with partial leather and colour screen ICC (or whatever they’ll try and load it up with) and a special badge will make a difference is laughable.

Limited Editions can be effective in the retail market at the end of a model cycle or to combat the introduction of competition but only when they point out product advantages (designed as an alternative to discounting which can hurt residual values long term). For example, the 60th Anniversary Calais was brilliant at showing up one of the G6E’s greatest weaknesses, no sunroof option. I don’t see Ford having anything in their bag of tricks which will make the 50th Anniversary models anything special. Their history has shown that these models are usually used to get rid of excess parts more than anything else. Hopefully they’ll include some new features due to be released with FGII to sweeten the pot.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #95
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Maybe the $1100 increase on the G6E-T is just to cover the cost of replacement diff bushes.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #96
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

About 1% of people or less probably care about a sunroof, I know I would pay more between two cars to NOT get a sunroof.
I really hope Ford never goes touch screen.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #97
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
About 1% of people or less probably care about a sunroof, I know I would pay more between two cars to NOT get a sunroof.
I think your waaaayyyy off on than 1% caring about a sun roof!! It is waaayyyy more than that!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #98
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Holden hasnt had HID since 2002, its had projectors since then.
Something the Fairlane had 20 years ago.

Pretty sure only the VM Caprice gets HIDs, the rest of the VEs get projector lights.
Projector/HID, I don't know the difference but it's 6 years later and Falcon still doesn't have either. It's a shame when the top of the line $80k FPV GT-E uses the same light cluster as the base model fleet XT.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #99
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I think your waaaayyyy off on than 1% caring about a sun roof!! It is waaayyyy more than that!
Hardly a deal breaker against the G6ET though. I guess 1-3% of buyers would be so keen for a moonroff they would choose the Calais over the G spot.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #100
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
I didn’t really include that example to create a debate over the lack of a Sunroof/Moonroof option on the Falcon. Although it does pain me when I hear Burela dribbling about the high end market they’re targeting with their product. The example was merely an attempt to demonstrate how a product advantage can be exploited in a Limited Edition model.

By the way, I thought you’d find this interesting:

Old 09-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #101
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:

your dreamin...noooo.one cares about sunroofs...
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #102
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
I didn’t really include that example to create a debate over the lack of a Sunroof/Moonroof option on the Falcon. Although it does pain me when I hear Burela dribbling about the high end market they’re targeting with their product. The example was merely an attempt to demonstrate how a product advantage can be exploited in a Limited Edition model.

By the way, I thought you’d find this interesting:

I dont agree or disagree with you, but that graph made me laugh
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #103
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1) I care about sunroofs! They are nice to have even if useless.
2) People will still buy an XR6 over an XT due to the resale first and foremost.
3) How much of a bargain will be had at auction in 2 years time - XT with ZF for $10K. Make a great commuter/work hack.
4) I think they should have had a few minor power tweaks e.g. bump it up to 200kw on the NA engine.
5) Given the lack of changes across the performance range I really think this supercharged XR8 is going to be a big hit if it happens.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #104
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

It seems as though the bulk of the economy gains will be found in the Automatics, but not necessarily for the Manuals.

Is this a fair assumption?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #105
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
It doesn't need to be a deal breaker, it's about Ford finally moving into the 21st century and offering standard features that can match the competition. Holden, Toyota, Nissan and Honda all have this feature, and I can tell you that FG was supposed to have it as well since all the concept drawings had HID lights (which looked very nice indeed). I'm sick of accountants running every aspect the company. In this day and age, something as simple as HID lights should be standard atleast on higher models like G series. Holden is a local manufacturer with a relatively small output volume just like Ford, yet they've been able to do it since 2002 - Ford needs to get with the program, atleast offer these kinds of things as options.
You obviously have Ford confused with another loss making outfit.....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #106
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And why has the LI E-Gas been stalled a 'further' 6months..... they're really taking their time now!!!!!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #107
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/taurus/

these are what the Falcon needs!! Just click on the boxes & listen to the story!! They are not new technoloies to Ford so they should be do-able easily!

1) Blind spot information
2) Muti-contour seats with active motion
3) adaptive curusie control
4) Collision warning & brake support
5) 3.5L EcoBoost V6 engine (Sorry, time to go I6)
Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #108
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I quite like "Fast Glass", its on my Dad's 03 Mazda 323 and my 09 Fiesta, those cars cost $23,000 and $18,000 when new, why isn't it on a $37,000 car? Its handy on a foggy morning and you leave for work, press the button down once and it goes down automatically and now you can see out of the right hand window, should be on the left hand one too I reckon.
Agreed. Most Euro & Jap cars have fast glass, etc. Ford should have this on the FG & also have the windows go up when you hold the keypad 'lock' button for longer than 3 seconds like BMWs & VWs. The updated FG should have an LED centre stop light also.

HIDs (xenons) are a deal breaker to some folks and a lot of people retro-fit them to their older Euro cars as well.

I really hope there will be styling changes. At least something like BA-BF to keep the car looking fresh. Even Holden made basic changes to their VE range with the SS getting the SSV's clear tail lights & the Omega getting a different grille, colour coding & alloys (but the XT has the last two now as well).

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #109
G6E Turbo 2

I will be looking to update my G6ET in a year or so
Not sure what I will do at that point
Nothing I am seeing is getting me excited
Least of all the trade in or re sale value of my
current G6ET and my previous XR6T
I would love to look at a new G8E or XR8 option
but it will need to be better than the G6ET I have now

Ford to me just don't keep up , try to get in front
of Holden when they have the opportunity

Catch up is not good enough to me
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #110
cycle myth

Yeah - I'm much the same - I'm not seeing anything (still waiting on what the new V8 may bring) that would make an FG buyer upgrade or special features that might entice others to jump ship.

The 6 speed auto is nice - however I think you could option this on many models and if you couldn't and really wanted it then you could upsell to the next model.

Personally I was hoping for more - even if they were just expensive options.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #111
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Ford really needs to look at the G8E, even with a crate Mustang engine.
There are buyers who are definitely not sated by XR8 + luxury pack.

Still, a bulge bonnet on a Blown G8E would put a smile on luxury buyers faces,
something different to the G6ET and something worthy of a $60K price...
Old 10-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #112
PETE_XR6

Ford is doing to the Falcon what they did to the Territory boring updates with little visual difference from the previous update.

How come the FG XT fuel economy remains the same? The current FG XT gets 9.9l/100km with the six speed box and the update gets 9.9l/100km with the six speed box .But the current FG XR6 gets 10.1/100km with the six speed box and the update improves to 9.9l/100km????
Why didn’t the XT improve??? Has the XR6’s final drive been downgraded to the XT’s final drive??

Why are ford fuking around with the XR6 and stripping it down?? If they want to dumb down the XR6 they have lost an owner of 2 previous XR6’s , I will look to other manufactures
PETE_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #113
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETE_XR6
Ford is doing to the Falcon what they did to the Territory boring updates with little visual difference from the previous update.

How come the FG XT fuel economy remains the same? The current FG XT gets 9.9l/100km with the six speed box and the update gets 9.9l/100km with the six speed box .But the current FG XR6 gets 10.1/100km with the six speed box and the update improves to 9.9l/100km????
Why didn’t the XT improve??? Has the XR6’s final drive been downgraded to the XT’s final drive??

Why are ford fuking around with the XR6 and stripping it down?? If they want to dumb down the XR6 they have lost an owner of 2 previous XR6’s , I will look to other manufactures
Don't forget that you also get to pay $1,00 more for your XR6 with ZFwhere others pay only $600 more...
Except for XR6T and G6ET who really get gouged...
Old 10-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #114
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really hope we see a significant upgrade to both Falcon and Territory next year. This upgrade smacks of laziness - doing the bare minimum to slip past EUROIV.

Crossing my fingers that the 2.0Litre EcoBoost injects some life into the Falcon range - but more than that what about some of the great tech/gadgets that make Fords some of the best sellers in other markets around the world like SYNC and BLINDSPOT? - Maybe we'll only get the latest Ford innovations once Aussie Falcon is gone?

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #115
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
I really hope we see a significant upgrade to both Falcon and Territory next year. This upgrade smacks of laziness - doing the bare minimum to slip past EUROIV.
How much cash do you think FoA has to play with?
All they've basically done is met Euro IV and made some options standard but with a price increase.
Rather smart because although nothing is really new, the customer sees improvement but
those G6ET customers wanting to trade in their car on another only see a $2,000 price hike.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #116
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do people except for a series 2 update??

When have we ever gotten anything "big" for a series 2 update from either Ford or Holden EVER? You dont even get it from imported cars!! The current Corolla has looked the same for years & years now!! Madaz 3 was new at the same time FG was, yet thay have not done anything to Madaz 3, yet everyone things Ford is going to make all these big changes after just 2 years!!! Holden has not changed anything on the Commodore sinse 2006 (looks wise inside & outside), that was 4 years ago!!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #117
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The announcement doesn't even call it a Series II.
It's like XB Falcon in 1975 when evaporative emissions came in...
Old 10-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #118
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
When have we ever gotten anything "big" for a series 2 update from either Ford or Holden EVER?
Yes. AU2 was a massive update compared to AU1 with a great deal of change. VT2 was also a significant update for Holden's Commodore.

Mazda 3 came out in 2004 and was replaced by an all new model in 2008. The VE has had minor changes such as engines and some small cosmetic changes (especially on HSV models). So, yes is the answer to your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The announcement doesn't even call it a Series II.
It's like XB Falcon in 1975 when evaporative emissions came in...
It's because Series II seems to be a thing of the past now with car manufacturers. I liken this update to more of an "XF Update" model that saw EFI and colour coded bumpers, think it came out in 1986 (2 years after the XF was released).

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #119
cycle myth

I thought - but could be wrong that in the last 4 years the Commodore has been uprated with engines - SIDI and the like - transmissions - a few performance upgrades from tuning houses etc.

Their advertising even announces SIDI as the biggest change to Commodore..

Yes most overseas brands stick with the shape for most of the lifecycle - if that's the case why can't local brands outperform.

Product driven strategies have been one of the main driving forces behind the success of brands in recent times - if you look at the recent tech article for Commodore you can see why Ford will struggle if they keep playing fast follower.

Last edited by cycle myth; 10-04-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #120
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Holden has not changed anything on the Commodore sinse 2006 (looks wise inside & outside), that was 4 years ago!!
thats not entirely true
sidi 3.6
sidi 3.0
AFM 6.0
sportswagon!!
Granted all except the 3.6 and wagon were a step backwords :
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post