Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #91
Onyx_Black
Now owns an FG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I though I red somewhere that power management was one of the issues around multitasking and that 3GS and IP4 had better power management features.

be interesting to see how your battery life goes.

not at all, was too do with processing speed and ram.

3g = 128mb ram 3gs = 256

same battery
Onyx_Black is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #92
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

correct you are
Old 22-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #93
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx_Black
not at all, was too do with processing speed and ram.

3g = 128mb ram 3gs = 256

same battery
I was talking about power management features of the phone, not battery size. I know that one of the reasons holding up release of multi tasking for all apps (inbuilt apps like SMS, Phone, email already multi task) was concern over feral apps draining the battery.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #94
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just updated mine runs alot smoother now, but all of my photos are really distorted.. Am i missing something?
cheek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #95
cool65
carefactor zero

48 minute download on optus adsl, 10 min install and an hour to reload the 4295 songs. Now it's time to play with the new features. Who hoo

Think you gotta resync again. After I installed and resyncd it optimized all my photos again..
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #96
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I did that, didn't work so then I got rid of all the folders of photos through itunes and synced it then selected them again and resynced. Now they're fine
cheek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #97
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

My 3GS is still working well with the iOS4 software, my battery however doesn't seem to like it at all.

Left home at 6 with 100% battery, listened to music for 1 1/2 hours on the way in to work, have taken a few photos of stuff and uploaded them to photobucket using it. Battery is now at 66%
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #98
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
My 3GS is still working well with the iOS4 software, my battery however doesn't seem to like it at all.

Left home at 6 with 100% battery, listened to music for 1 1/2 hours on the way in to work, have taken a few photos of stuff and uploaded them to photobucket using it. Battery is now at 66%
Yeah I've noticed this as well on my 3G, was 100% went for a half hour or so drive (was just on standby) and its now at 89% goes down bloody quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza
I've got a HTC Desire and it's an awesome phone. Android is a very good operating system to use, no need to jailbreak. Probably my only real complaint is the autofocus on the camera is pretty bad. Sometimes it'll work and take a very clear photo, other times it turns it into a blur. Sound quality isn't as good as my old Sony Ericcson W810i but is still pretty decent for a phone. Other than these it's a fantastic phone.
Thanks for that, good to hear, how do you find the hardware buttons? they look rather awkwardly placed (not as good as the legend just below the screen)
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #99
TZENU
XY Driv3r

RG is that with push notifications, WiFi and bluetooth turned on as well??
Old 23-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #100
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've put iOS4 on my 3G now too, seems to run pretty well and battery life seems to be like before.

Can't wait to jump into a new iPhone 4 though to take advantage of multi tasking.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #101
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
RG is that with push notifications, WiFi and bluetooth turned on as well??
Push and WiFi are both on, bluetooth is not.

Now at 63% and has only received a few short calls, not bad for an hour and a half. Seems that apps are the big power drain as opposed to calls. I reckon the next OS update that comes out will address app power management.
Old 23-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #102
JAMIES88
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

Now at 63% and has only received a few short calls, not bad for an hour and a half. Seems that apps are the big power drain as opposed to calls. I reckon the next OS update that comes out will address app power management.
I spent a good part of my day on the phone, if i dont have many calls by lunch my battery sits around 85-90%. If im on it alot it can get down to 34-40%. I have bluetooth & wifi on all the time to, tho that hhardly seems to drain it if im not actually making calls.

Am going to grab a new one as soon as i get a chance as the short battery life is a headace for me as my battery goes flat most days and i have to charge it either while at my desk or in the car.
JAMIES88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #103
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

with multi-tasking the apps you use stay in the background. THATS what is draining battery fast. Open multi-tasking and close the apps that are open.

Had multi-tasking and home screen wallpapers on my iPhone 3G on all day, made a couple calls (10 mins or so) and sent a few sms, checked ebay and went from 100%-92% (also had wifi, bluetooth and notifications on)

But upgrading to iPhone 4 in July when they are released and my contract is up.
Old 23-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #104
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote V8
with multi-tasking the apps you use stay in the background. THATS what is draining battery fast. Open multi-tasking and close the apps that are open.

Had multi-tasking and home screen wallpapers on my iPhone 3G on all day, made a couple calls (10 mins or so) and sent a few sms, checked ebay and went from 100%-92% (also had wifi, bluetooth and notifications on)

But upgrading to iPhone 4 in July when they are released and my contract is up.
Apple says multi-tasking wouldn't drain the battery and it appears that the battery only drops significantly when an app is actually open.
Old 23-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #105
ch33z1l
Dawn

In regards to some apps and multi-tasking, some apps will require the developers to change a few things before they are multi-task capable.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #106
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

There's actually a device you can purchase called a "Morphie Air battery case".
They are a standard case with an inbuilt battery that can double your battery power.
We don't have them in our store but I have seen them around at others.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #107
BOSHOG
avenge me

guys i got an iphone on thursday and i have to say im disapointed with a few things. im lucky to get 8hrs out of the battery. and i cant get service inside my house, even when my old $100 nokia got good service. is there something im doing wrong?

luke
Old 27-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #108
MexicanBatman
Banned

The battery gets better with more use

Try turning off 3G I assume your with optus etc... Not telstra.
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #109
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
guys i got an iphone on thursday and i have to say im disapointed with a few things. im lucky to get 8hrs out of the battery. and i cant get service inside my house, even when my old $100 nokia got good service. is there something im doing wrong?

luke
Unfortunately the iphones are crap with reception, the new iphone 4 is better but because the antenna is around the outside of the phone there is higher radiation and there have been a few reports of problems when you hold it down the bottom it looses all reception.

To get better battery life you can turn off notifications and check in the mail area in settings to disable the push from server, turn off wifi when your not using it, screen brightness down a bit. pretty ****** battery too though lol.
Old 27-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #110
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Unfortunately the iphones are crap with reception, the new iphone 4 is better but because the antenna is around the outside of the phone there is higher radiation and there have been a few reports of problems when you hold it down the bottom it looses all reception.

To get better battery life you can turn off notifications and check in the mail area in settings to disable the push from server, turn off wifi when your not using it, screen brightness down a bit. pretty ****** battery too though lol.
thanx. maybe i should go back to my old nokia lol

i dont have wifi on unless im using it but ill do the other things to see if it helps

luke
Old 27-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #111
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:

luke
Did you read the manual, you're not holding it right;)
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/a...re-holding-th/
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #112
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
The battery gets better with more use

Try turning off 3G I assume your with optus etc... Not telstra.
as soon as i turned 3g off i got service on my comfy lounge. why is this?
Old 27-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #113
mrfordfairmont
351 clevo

the iphone is the only phone i have not killed i use to have nokia (i have had a few) and killed all of them.
i will be upgrading when i can to the iphone 4 since i am useing a iphone 3g 8g os4 atm
still running fine but i have had it replaced due to the home button died(home button cable not connected fully)

2004 territory ghia
click here for pics
work daily ke laser ghia RIP
click here for pics
Daily EF II fairmont wagon RIP
click here for pics
XD 351 clevo lowered
click here for pics

thanks to
p.e.a.c.h performance at stafford
http://www.peachperformance.com
mrfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #114
mrfordfairmont
351 clevo

Quote:

luke
since you got the phone on thursday give it time as the battery will take time to give full use
my iphone got charged friday and it has had 2hours 42 minutes usage, 1 day 10 standby

it just depends on how you use it

form the apple site for the 3gs
#Talk time:
up to 12 hours on 2G
up to 5 hours on 3G

# Standby time: up to 300 hours
#Internet use:
up to 5 hours on 3G
up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi

# Video playback: up to 10 hours
# Audio playback: up to 30 hours

2004 territory ghia
click here for pics
work daily ke laser ghia RIP
click here for pics
Daily EF II fairmont wagon RIP
click here for pics
XD 351 clevo lowered
click here for pics

thanks to
p.e.a.c.h performance at stafford
http://www.peachperformance.com
mrfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #115
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess with the new Iphone, there will be lots of iphone 3g/3gs's for me to buy used?

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #116
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol apparently the 4 is a lemon with reception issues.

This isn't a fault, it's crappy engineering as it happens to all of them.
Old 27-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #117
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Lol apparently the 4 is a lemon with reception issues.

This isn't a fault, it's crappy engineering as it happens to all of them.
Got anything to back that up? I haven't read anything about that and considering it is yet to be fully released find it a little hard to believe.
Old 27-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #118
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Got anything to back that up? I haven't read anything about that and considering it is yet to be fully released find it a little hard to believe.

I'd say it would be the coverage provider more then the phone anyway.
Old 28-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #119
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No hes right, fully released in the US isn't it?

http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-...e-antenna-band
Old 28-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #120
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
No hes right, fully released in the US isn't it?

http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-...e-antenna-band
The US isn't the entire world, as much as they'd like us to believe it is lol.

Seems like it's an issue where holding it a certain way can affect signal strength. Then again a couple of tech review sites that I've had a read of say they couldn't replicate the issue.

But what would an iPhone be without reception issues