Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #91
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it wasnt for ford being soft corks this would have been another ford 1-2,the pain is going to hurt for a while.need a third person in the game and i hope its chrysler/dodge not toyota or nissan.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #92
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Something to keep in mind is that marketing/advertising is a bugger of a thing to measure. Sales (or not) directly after the campaign doesn't necessarily mean it was a failure. Its a continuation and good placement with clear messages that wins the battle, V8SC's are just a small piece of this.

You can have the best strategy in the world but if your distribution channel and after sales service is rubbish then its all in vain....for example.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #93
glavas

i dont understand why people think its "bogan" to buy a local made large rwd sedan? but if i was to buy a aurion which is australian made as well aint it? people would think nothing of it?
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #94
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_landau
if it wasnt for ford being soft corks this would have been another ford 1-2,the pain is going to hurt for a while.need a third person in the game and i hope its chrysler/dodge not toyota or nissan.
This topic has been flogging

The writing was on the wall long before Ford pulled their sponsorship, Ford became their scapegoat as it took the heat off the team from fans and put it squarely at Fords feet.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #95
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

still hurts dont it.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #96
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Not to me as I wasn't a fan of 888 anyway
Old 12-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #97
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
exactly my point but you do not represent the type of people Im speaking about,
there are people who will go out and buy a new V8 Commodore because it did win Bathurst.
Idiots that buy a car because it won bathurst are the same people that shouldnt be allowed to but anything more highpowered than a 2 stroke lawnmower... basing a car buying descision cause it is fast over a race is not a good way to be buying a car... nothing against fast cars, but buying one cause it won bathurst is just dumb...

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #98
Scott

Call me dumb but I bought all my Fords because I'm a Ford fan. There have been several occasions that I could have dropped my guard and bought a GTS, particularly when the 6.2 came out but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Call it stupid loyalty, blind faith, ignorance or whatever you like but it's the truth.

Funnily enough, I have no trouble whatsoever buying any other brand of car - just not a Holden, or more specifically, Commodore. Whilst there is still a good Falcon opposite, I will never buy a Commodore.

And you know what? It's my money and I'll spend it how I bloody well want!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #99
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
i dont understand why people think its "bogan" to buy a local made large rwd sedan? but if i was to buy a aurion which is australian made as well aint it? people would think nothing of it?

I think you are being too general there Glavas. One is more inclined to see Bogans in the older versions of the Large RWD sedan. Probably wearing a Holden or Ford T shirt, that has become a prized personal possession after recently buying it on sale from K-Mart or Big W. You may on accasion find Bogans in the newer models of the Commodore or Falcon, but generally they will be going at speed, closely followed by a chasing Police Car.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #100
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

The further away V8 Supercars get from the production cars they're supposed to resemble, so does the notion that winning on Sunday sells on Monday. They're my thoughts anyway. Certainly works with production/improved production racing, well... it did...

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #101
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Perhaps they should get cars straight out of the showroom and onto the track, make it more interesting.
It's been tried several times to get a 'production car' series running in competition to V8SC. all failed, so i don't think that's going to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp006
according to former driver and now commentator for the Ten Network, Neil Crompton.
like i'd believe anything he says...

Quote:
No, we'd just think you'd given up on life....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_GT
'What Skaify drove a Skyline before he was Holden. No way talk ****.'
tbh, i've wanted to own an R32 GT-R ever since skaifey won in one.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #102
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

zinger replays have me up for zinger, 10 pieces original, large tatty gravy and six buns.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #103
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJOHN
Idiots that buy a car because it won bathurst are the same people that shouldnt be allowed to but anything more highpowered than a 2 stroke lawnmower... basing a car buying descision cause it is fast over a race is not a good way to be buying a car... nothing against fast cars, but buying one cause it won bathurst is just dumb...

what about the gtho?
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #104
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Quote:
what about the gtho?
They GTHO, camaro, Mustang, Monaros, Cortina's & Toranas at least resembled road cars and back in the day when they had to produce a certain amount of road cars to race them, this made sense , not to mention they were in limited numbers making them more desireable...
How many BoganDore SS's are around now ?????...
Besides, the Mighty GTHO would have been a classic and bought out wether it won bathurst or not

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #105
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
what about the gtho?
There were bugger all GTHOs sold and for the first few years they had terrible resale.

It was not until the late 70s that they started to rise in value and really not until the 90s that they became "collectable" outside a small group of rabid Falcon GT enthusiasts.

The supercar scare, changes to race rules to shut government whingers up and early pollution controls are the only reason that GTHOs have any value at all. If it were not for that they would just be another Falcon in the line going up to what ever was the top of heap.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #106
G6E Turbo 2

I dont think so

Ford lost a whole gneration , or two , of supporters due
to not having a V8 for many years

Today there is Zero in a V8 SC that looks like any car you can buy
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #107
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E Turbo 2
I dont think so

There's a contradiction in there...

Ford dropped the V8 for XF & EA - they had no car to enter into the ATCC. Legions of Ford fans were faced with either barracking for "some import" or their perceived homegrown Commodore.

Ford didn't lose a generation because they didn't retail a V8, they lost a generation because they alienated their most passionate loyalists and a generation of future buyers/influencers.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #108
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am reading this thread and am amazed the problem with sagging v8 sales is a shift in the mindset of the younger generation they see turbos skylines subarus evos and the like and desire to one day own a turbo and V8s are viewed by these guys as fuel guzzling and slower than turbocharged cars, add to this generally speaking you can get more power gain for less money from a turbo than you ever will be able to with a NA v8 and the modscene is huuuuge with all kinds of go fast bits and rice gear and the like there just isn't the availability of cheap power gains and of customized parts as the cars from the east (Nissan & Subaru for example) the XR6T was a raging success partly because it was a Ford but the slamdunk was the tunability, this generated a spike in demand for "ricer" gear which fueled sales.

Also P plate drivers are not allowed to drive a V8 period which (up until XR6T) was the only way to go fast in a Falcon or commodore this legislation put V8s out of reach and made the Falcon and commodore less relevant to first car buyers right at the time when brand loyalty is formed. If either camp wants to "sow seeds for tomorrow" they need to tap into this thinking of the youth with a car that is P plate legal, initially and that can be easily (and cheaply) power increased. The knock on effect will be aftermarket demand spiking for altezza tail lights and the like which will further fuel demand, and inset brand loyalty right from first car ownership. These customers' needs will change and Ford will be on the radar when its time to get another car.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #109
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E Turbo 2
I dont think so

Yep, looks nothing like an FG Falcon........

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #110
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I was gonna buy a Holden but the door fell off so I'll stick with a Falcon!! lol
Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #111
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Win on Sunday, sell on monday (10 years from now).

In a away, seeing a Ford/holden win a race is going to help create publicty that embeds its self in teenagers....

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #112
Jim4850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Win on Sunday, sell on monday (10 years from now).

In a away, seeing a Ford/holden win a race is going to help create publicty that embeds its self in teenagers....
Sorry but for me the meaning of that race was lost the moment V8 Supercars was born. It's mere contrived nonsense that created its own dead-end and is about to reach the end of it. They're excellent racing cars but have no relevance to the badges plonked upon them, and that was shown in splendid fashion in the first lap on Sunday when the look alike panels flew off their flimsy mounts from the racing cage.

I've said before that Ford have made a mistake supporting this concept designed to help Holden and I really wish they'd have the guts to bring the pain to an end. To me the best part of the whole weekend was seeing the new Falcon million kW beast do a tour of the circuit carrying passengers in speedy comfort, I even loved how he changed gears carefully, just like back in the days before they all fitted unbreakable racing gearboxes.

Now if Ford could just give the Bathurst 12 hr a bit of a push, as they have enough products to be interesting plus sell on Monday.
Jim4850 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #113
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim4850
Sorry but for me the meaning of that race was lost the moment V8 Supercars was born. It's mere contrived nonsense that created its own dead-end and is about to reach the end of it. They're excellent racing cars but have no relevance to the badges plonked upon them
+1.

Its a race of custom-made suspension/chassis bits. 888 proved it when they ripped their bits off the Falcon, stuck them on the Commodore, and still won. The car is irrelevent.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #114
Fireblade
Wizard Member

If thats the way you feel thats fine, but it begs the question from me, do you support the GTP category or the V8 Brutes which do have the factory cars racing?

To be honest from my perspective I love V8SC and the direction the category is taking, I know the cars racing aren't factory cars but they are fantastic racing cars and is great category that will expand. Factory racing would not have the speed and parity that makes this category exciting, one team might be dominating in race wins but they are not doing it easy.

I remember the days that had other makes and the time that the GTR's came in and destroyed all which subsequently lead to the category we now have, the reception that Jim Richards and Mark Skaife got at the end of Bathurst in '92 was poor at best and that came from the Bogans that couldn't take anything but a Ford or Holden winning in those days.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #115
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
SYDNEY motor racing fan Anthony Hanlon had plenty of reasons to celebrate when he travelled to town on Saturday for the Bathurst 1000.

As Mr Hanlon and his seven-year-old daughter, Jordyn, journeyed to the base of Mount Panorama, the Caringbah resident was recognised at the 20 millionth V8 Supercar Championship Series fan to walk through the gates in 14 years of the sport.
20 million people thought V8 Supercars were cool enough to go see,
that's not bad for an "irrelevant format" that's been around for 14 years.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #116
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
the reception that Jim Richards and Mark Skaife got at the end of Bathurst in '92 was poor at best and that came from the Bogans that couldn't take anything but a Ford or Holden winning in those days.
I thought it was because they were too stupid to comprehend the red flag rules?
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #117
Fireblade
Wizard Member

I think you would find it had more to do with the car that won than how it won, they also gave Anders Olofsson and Neil Crompton the same reception when receiving third place in the same race.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #118
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
If thats the way you feel thats fine, but it begs the question from me, do you support the GTP category or the V8 Brutes which do have the factory cars racing?

To be honest from my perspective I love V8SC and the direction the category is taking, I know the cars racing aren't factory cars but they are fantastic racing cars and is great category that will expand. Factory racing would not have the speed and parity that makes this category exciting, one team might be dominating in race wins but they are not doing it easy.

*Nikked likes this post

When i sit down to watch a V8 supercar race, i want to see a big, brute, noisy and exciting machine, rather then the FG GT or Ve Clubsport i see everyday

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #119
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
20 million people thought V8 Supercars were cool enough to go see,
that's not bad for an "irrelevant format" that's been around for 14 years.....

I think if one dissects the facts abit, that number maybe a little exaggerated.

Take for example Bathurst on the weekend, one article states over 180,000 people saw the action,

Quote:
The good behaviour of the 180,000-strong crowd at the weekend – and a comparatively low number of arrests both
yet one clearly states,

Quote:
A Sunday crowd of 52,292 people watched on as dark grey clouds threatened to bring rain, but fortunately for the drivers the weather remained pleasant for the entire 161 laps.
So if you turn up for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday sessions, you end up being 3 people. And as the V8 series consists of a number of events that go over a number of days, then the numbers give the impression that more people watch it than actually do.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #120
Jim4850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
*Nikked likes this post

When i sit down to watch a V8 supercar race, i want to see a big, brute, noisy and exciting machine, rather then the FG GT or Ve Clubsport i see everyday
You do, and they're splendid racing cars but I can't see how they sell Fords or Holdens on Monday, plus they're also developed so far that the element of failure and difference between them has been bred out. They've simply become formula one without the weak bits.

I want to see some relevance with what mere mortals can buy, I want to see mechanical failures, I want to see team failures due to someone forgetting to do up a bolt, I want to see differences in cars, I want an excuse to go to Bathurst in February.
Jim4850 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post