Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #91
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: arnt the young fellas today spoilt with what cars are available cheap?

I'd like an V8, but none of that carby crap, give me sensors, wires and computers any day, much more simple

Unfortunately P plate restrictions are with me until 2014, another 3 years to go boys

Until then, my little turbo tractor shall be modded up.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #92
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Default Re: arnt the young fellas today spoilt with what cars are available cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I'd like an V8, but none of that carby crap, give me sensors, wires and computers any day, much more simple
Your crazy lol. Give me a juicy carby anyday. Nothing worse then your car not running because of a fiddly little sensor hidden under a manifold somewhere.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #93
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Whilst i can still appreciate a lot of cars, the one above included. For what i want they are pointless. Now im sure that thing would mutilate my car in a straight line twice over.
But i like to go around corners aswell so thats where each car has advantages and disadvantages.
Nice GT BTW.
its an old bomb.. it smells, front end squeaks, and chews juice...
i'm the same, its the love for the car, not the type of car....
you ride is sweet as, newer stuff is just so good, this older stuff is more for entertainment value than being practical....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #94
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
Your crazy lol. Give me a juicy carby anyday. Nothing worse then your car not running because of a fiddly little sensor hidden under a manifold somewhere.
Damo wouldnt know what to do with a carby.......
day you rebuild your first holley.. slap it back on and kick it in the guts...
is a very manly moment.......
Old 16-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #95
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
this older stuff is more for entertainment value than being practical....
I think that's probably the best way anybody has explained it so far Pottery, well done
Old 16-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #96
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Older cars have a sense of character that a new car does not have. Love getting kicked in the pants when i sink the boot in ;)
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #97
AussieCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable
i think this is also the reason why we have so much trouble today too. When the older generation was young, they were stupid like any kid. Trouble today is that pov pack falcons and commodores will run rings around nearly all of the best muscle cars of the past. Hence the cars are too overpowered for their skills, hence massive restrictions and govco bleating on about speeding etc. back then then you had to work hard for your performance, and most probably didn't throw it around as lightly as the younger folk do today.
Dont completely agree with you, recently was lucky enough to do the Ian Luff drive to survive and I started with the same view but after seeing modern and older vehicle in emergency braking and swerve situations the difference is night and day. Yes they accelerate much harder and have more power but between the extra tight controls on P platers and the built in safety features I would much prefer my kids to be in the latest vehicle I can afford for them than the old data 200b I had
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #98
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am amongst the small group of young fellas who loves older cars. Sure I do appreciate a nicely modded modern car but I believe older cars have personality. But I must admit we can find some tough cars and parts cheap. I bought my 351 XE with some rego for $1900 after some haggling.

I turned 21 in october and am 3/4 way through the rebuild of the XE as some of you may know. Everyone around here has no idea about what it will go like and ask why I waste my time working on an old crap falcon. All I say is you will see. The way I see it is why spend $10,000 on a new car and be in debt when I can build my car how I want that will go harder, look better and probaly end up more valuable in the end.

I also have a 67 XR wagon I was given off my uncle years ago and on the weekend scored myself a 428 police interceptor engine to build up for it.

I'm a broke young fella doing the best with what I have and who I know. A bit of dedication and sacrificing not going out drinking etc pays off in the end.
awesome stuff there brother.. car building goodness is a very rewarding path to travel.. lol to the old bomb haters.....
Old 16-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #99
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
I am amongst the small group of young fellas who loves older cars. Sure I do appreciate a nicely modded modern car but I believe older cars have personality. But I must admit we can find some tough cars and parts cheap. I bought my 351 XE with some rego for $1900 after some haggling.

I turned 21 in october and am 3/4 way through the rebuild of the XE as some of you may know. Everyone around here has no idea about what it will go like and ask why I waste my time working on an old crap falcon. All I say is you will see. The way I see it is why spend $10,000 on a new car and be in debt when I can build my car how I want that will go harder, look better and probaly end up more valuable in the end.

I also have a 67 XR wagon I was given off my uncle years ago and on the weekend scored myself a 428 police interceptor engine to build up for it.

I'm a broke young fella doing the best with what I have and who I know. A bit of dedication and sacrificing not going out drinking etc pays off in the end.
What sort of condition is the 428 in? Ever want to sell, let me know
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #100
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Only got the block at the moment but going to gets the crank, pistons, heads etc off my mate on the weekend. But after a quick clean up the block is an awesome condition considering it was under junk in a shed with no walls. When I knocked the welsh plugs out its tidier than what my clevo block was on the inside.

After a bit of research on the numbers it is definitely not going anywhere anytime soon :-)

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #101
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Haha thats right, I remember when I was working in at Honda and an 80s Civic came in, we popped the bonnet and seen a carby, all us younger guys where like WTF? The service manager said he used to tune them using a stethoscope or something to listen to it

Give me CANBUS, two wires, high and low around 5V, 1s and 0s going along it and a few computer modules on the end, something goes wrong, engine light comes on, scan tool comes out and goes into the OBDII port, computer tells me its detecting a problem with X sensor and bingo, we have the problem or at least a general guide of the issue.

Though on this topic, these Easy-EFI systems which replace carbys on old cars seem worth while, basic ECU and it constantly self tunes itself as you drive, no cold idle issues, automatic choke and they're made to look like a carby and air filter so if you pop the bonnet it still looks its era.

When I was last at TAFE I seen a 60s Lamborghini Miura with its multiple carb setup being worked on at a local workshop from the area, they where trying to drive it when it was cold and all it was doing was stalling no matter how many revs, you could smell the fuel vapors from a good 20 meters away.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #102
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am amongst the small group of young fellas who loves older cars.
I'm proudly in that group too.

I have not owned an old car, but I admire them and would love to get one as a weekender/project car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #103
HLC
Audi S3

Being a young fella, try and insure any of these quick cars under the age of 25 ha
Old 17-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #104
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Or 4 SU's if you were lucky (silly?) enough to own a V12 Jag

It was a real bugger running from side to side with a piece of tubing in your ear to see if they were all sucking the same!...but sh geez it was fun !