Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #91
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Mondeo vs Sportswagon

i thought this thread was about mondeo v sportwagon! the falcon wagon debate has been done to death about 5 times.

if i needed a wagon, i would buy a mondeo long before i considered a commodore.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #92
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Seeing the wagon battle hot up again, I think a Camry and Aurion wagon would sell gangbusters, but it will never happen while Americans dont buy wagons.
What?

They dropped the Camry wagon for a reason, and with Aurion selling less than 1000 a month I can't see an Aurion wagon "sell gangbuster".
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #93
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
What?

They dropped the Camry wagon for a reason, and with Aurion selling less than 1000 a month I can't see an Aurion wagon "sell gangbuster".
The 'reason' they dropped it is that the American market does not want a wagon so it wasnt design or engineered. In America they can sell up to 350,000 camrys a year - that market was given priority.

Locally the reason Aurion doesnt sell well is because its a 6 cylinder sedan, look at the disastrous sales figure for Falcon, Epica, Maxima and Accord.

Aurion and Camry are basically the same car, so only one wagon version with slight differences. I can see the 4 cylinder Camry wagon being a big winner.

Look at Mondeo and Mazda 6, majority of Mondeos are now wagon and the Mazda 6 Touring wagon is now the biggest selling variant in the entire Mazda 6 range (recently overtaking Mazda 6 Classic Hatch). Camry/Aurion wagon twins could well, especially being locally made.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #94
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Truth to tell, Ford probably kept the Falcon station wagon around way longer than they should have
but instead of thanks, they are now seen as the biggest B's for not doing a replacement..
The wagon really didn't cost them much in the end. It kept the numbers up. It was pretty steady on sales each month. Ford could always justify a business case for the wagon until Euro 4 came along.

Either way I'd buy a terri over either wagon.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #95
Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Holden Commodore Sportswagon:
  • RWD, check.
  • Powerful motor.
  • Crappy bottom-end that is masked by an ever-shifting crappy gearbox.
  • Crappy gearbox.
  • Crappy smoothness for a modern-day V6.
  • Crappy interior.
  • Crappy space for a wagon.
  • Crappy space for a hatch.
  • Crappy ergonomics and functions.
  • Crappy visibility (understatement).
  • Crappy ride quality for normal roads.
  • Good by Holden's standards (seeing that Holden is getting all their other cars made/manufactured/designed in Korea by Daewoo they should get this dungbox done their too).
  • Good by bogan standards.
Crappy Post - Check! - knew that when you libeled every Commodore driver and probably Falcon driver with the last comment.........
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #96
stevz
Banned

Taken from another thread...... says it all really.

Quote:
Yes well apparently a large lease company in QLD had some Mondeos given back to them due to sagging in the rear... The company said they were a workplace health and safety risk and that Ford should not be selling them as a direct falcon replacement. Apparently the road manners of the cars changed drastically with a load in the rear.

That company has now moved to sports wagons apparently, we will see how they go!
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #97
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

^^^Hmmm wasn't the VT dropped by Telstra cause it couldn't handle the weight?

Funny enough the Siemens techs seem happy with the Mondeo wagons.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #98
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

"Ford should stop selling them as a direct falcon repalcement"

what jokerz...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #99
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
^^^Hmmm wasn't the VT dropped by Telstra cause it couldn't handle the weight?
The official reason was that Ford offered a production line LPG fitment.

But I heard apparantly many naughty Tesltra employees were filling the Commodores with petrol on the fuel card, driving home then siphoning the fuel into the Mrs' car. Dedicated LPG solved all that.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #100
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:

But I heard apparantly many naughty Tesltra employees were filling the Commodores with petrol on the fuel card, driving home then siphoning the fuel into the Mrs' car. Dedicated LPG solved all that.

Bull. Telstra had petrol wagons. The Falcon was found to be able to carry more.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #101
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Bull. Telstra had petrol wagons. The Falcon was found to be able to carry more.
All Telstra Falcon wagon are LPG, but Im not denying leaf springs are WAAAYYY better for loads.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #102
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:

im sure a few would have done this but silly to think it was company wide
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #103
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Dad and i put in items totalling around 400kgs if not more in the family BF. It was slammed to the max, as if it were on Ultra Low's. Still drove tops, pulled great, only bottomed out on one of those larger speed bump bulges taken at 30kmph.

I would like to see a Mondeo or Sportshaha do that.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #104
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
Crappy Post - Check! - knew that when you libeled every Commodore driver and probably Falcon driver with the last comment.........
Sue me. I was only going off what I've experienced with it, it's not my fault the BF is a better car to be in, even with the 4sp.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #105
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
im sure a few would have done this but silly to think it was company wide

Oh Im not suggesting it was company wide just a rumour I heard through a dealer grapevine. Holden was offering dual fuel for the next contract and Ford was offering dedicated LPG - they went with Ford.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #106
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Dad and i put in items totalling around 400kgs if not more in the family BF. It was slammed to the max, as if it were on Ultra Low's. Still drove tops, pulled great, only bottomed out on one of those larger speed bump bulges taken at 30kmph.

I would like to see a Mondeo or Sportshaha do that.

thats the beauty of leaf springs, the camber stays relatively the same no matter the load.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #107
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
"Ford should stop selling them as a direct falcon repalcement"

what jokerz...
They do have a point though. You'd be kidding yourself to think that a light duty front wheel drive wagon like Mondeo can just step in and do the same job as a Falcon wagon which had leaf springs and a rugged rwd driveline. Front wheel drive and load carrying simply doesn't mix in my books, which is why trucks/utes/vans/commercial vehicles are all rwd. But no, ask some of the self proclaimed 'experts' on this forum and they will tell you rear wheel drive is only for bogans.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #108
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Front wheel drive and load carrying simply doesn't mix in my books,
this could be construed as being stuck in the past

Quote:
But no, ask some of the self proclaimed 'experts' on this forum and they will tell you rear wheel drive is only for bogans.
rear wheel drive isn't for bogans, but too many on here dismiss fwd cars far too readily simply because 10-20 yrs ago they weren't very good for doing things that rwd cars handled in their stride.

fwd tech has come a long way and for the average family, a new fwd car will do EVERYTHING a rwd car does with no compromise.

the handful of people that regularly load up their rwd wagons or businesses that have a reasonable payload would need to assess the situation a little more thoroughly.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #109
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
All Telstra Falcon wagon are LPG, but Im not denying leaf springs are WAAAYYY better for loads.
Not all of them were LPG... Alot of the country ones were Petrol due to the availability of LPG.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #110
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Front wheel drive and load carrying simply doesn't mix in my books, which is why trucks/utes/vans/commercial vehicles are all rwd. But no, ask some of the self proclaimed 'experts' on this forum and they will tell you rear wheel drive is only for bogans.
http://www.technispec.com/album/1967_02.htm

This was regarded as better than its Holden and Ford counterparts at the time, had a larger tray, better traction grip and didn't have rear springs to sag like the others! Automotive history extends back beyond the last 10 years you know.

I think it was also on this forum that some self-proclaimed expert said front-wheel drive cars could never win Bathurst - forgetting a certain something that happened in the 1960s.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #111
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yes I can see how emission laws prevented the I6 being used in any new models after the BF3, FGs don't have an I6 option any more do they?. Obviously the ecoLpi would not have worked either.

I wonder if the lack of profit on the sales of the falcon wagon as it was almost completely fleet based was more of a reason not to spend money developing a new model.

I remember a time when Fairlane and LTD were HUGE sellers and before that Falcon Panelvan was a winner.

Falcon wagon died because it was not profitable.....no other reason as will any other model that fails to make money.

There in no room for emotion in a balance sheet.

Lol... It was actually one of the more profitable cars they had... Most of the engineering costs were written off many years ago, considering everything from the front door back was from 1998... The issue with Ford is they are trying to not have competing segments, they need to make cars like the Mondeo work before Ford head office will allocate them cars, thats where the issues lies. If they don't sell enough, they will not get the allocation. They basically had 3 competing cars at one stage, Mondeo Wagon, Falcon Wagon and Territory wagon... They picked the best 2 and dropped the Falcon. They did the same thing with the RTV to protect Ranger.

The Mondeo is a great car if your going to use it as a family hack, but as I have already commented in another thread it is not a work tool, I know of a lease company that had 3 of them dropped back due to them sagging in the rear under load and being unsafe. Ford could have easily continued with the BFIII for atleast another 4 - 5 years selling 400 - 500 cars a month for the fleet market alone, with most of the changes required being pretty straight forward... they did it with the X series Falcon utes for how many years?? basically till 1999!! There was no need for an FG based wagon.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #112
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
They do have a point though. You'd be kidding yourself to think that a light duty front wheel drive wagon like Mondeo can just step in and do the same job as a Falcon wagon which had leaf springs and a rugged rwd driveline. Front wheel drive and load carrying simply doesn't mix in my books, which is why trucks/utes/vans/commercial vehicles are all rwd. But no, ask some of the self proclaimed 'experts' on this forum and they will tell you rear wheel drive is only for bogans.
You shouldn't get upset and hurl insults at members here, because no one said this and implying so means you have a very poor sense of reading or comprehension.

What people are saying is because the VE is actually an inferior all round product it doesn't automatically mean it defaults to being a better car by virtue of it's "RWD" or that's "Aussie". You need to give credit where it's due and the Mondeo is the better all round car. So, when these same members here just don't get that concept some "self proclaimed expert" has to come along spell it out.

When I state certain aspects are crappy it does seem harsh, when in actual reality it is acceptable. You need to appreciate, though, that it is a judgement based in relation to another vehicle (which happens to be an older design) thus in the context of making comparisons, it pretty much is a disappointment (crappy).
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #113
prydey
Rob

one thing to bear in mind is car reviews are basically someones opinion.