Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #91
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: If the EA Falcon was being sold new today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Is that what it is, you think? Is it costly? Can I do it myself?
The inhibitor switch can cause it as well when it does it again wiggle the gearshift and then see what it does next time you slow down and accelerate again if it changes ok its the switch!

I liked the look of the EA Eb but unfortuantly they were a lemon when new but they just seem to keep on trucking on even now
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #92
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by washoutbeach
Its been of value to compare the series after as well as before and its very exciting to read the strength and power of the EA cause.

I think we owe it to the EA design team, the EA26 was starting to be designed and modelled way back in 1982. Its basic aesthetic premise almost got us into the 21st century.

Its hard to understand the design vision these EA guys had in age that was paying homage to the WB Kingswood ute and the formative stages of the Commodore. I mean they must have had a giggle at the traffic as they drove their cars to work on the top secret design.

The EA 26 was just light years ahead of its time and if it didnt stand for perfomance, it was a car people bought for others to judge them in.

It boasted clean angles, the windscreen angle was significantly less than the XD, it got us thinking about exterior plastics as function and beauty.

Above all it was fresh and modern to look at, modern to be in and espoused modern values. To some extent, this what almost every new car design aspires to be. Ford just nailed it.

And it turned up its nose at the Commodore, it looked and worked better.

Of course Holden persisted with its half pregnant bulbous (and let me say awkward) curves right up until the VE. How they sold so many is beyond me.

The EL is a stones throw from the EA. But at $700m for a new car design, its not cheap.

I saw this beautiful FG today in some kind of metalic racing green. One could have drowned in the ethereal lustre of that paintwork, probably the nicest green I have ever seen. My eyes were popping out of my head and I was slobbering at it. I hope the women driving it, didnt think I fancied her.

She was your typical modern female ford driver, good looking with designer sunglasses. The "stuff the world" pout to boot.

I got a glimpse of the illuminated central command centre flickering on the dash. Probably flashing " idiot alert" with an arrow pointing at me and the BA mkII in the next lane!
You write a brilliant post. Post of the month I do declare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Come into the OzEseries cruisers section on the forum, I've got a lot of people guiding me through working on my EL, if I can do something than so can anyone else.

I personally like the look of the EA-ED, particularily the ED XR8, they look really nice, I love that boxy look.
I'll do that.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #93
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by music189
The inhibitor switch can cause it as well when it does it again wiggle the gearshift and then see what it does next time you slow down and accelerate again if it changes ok its the switch!

I liked the look of the EA Eb but unfortuantly they were a lemon when new but they just seem to keep on trucking on even now
I'll do that too
Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #94
washoutbeach

[QUOTE=Buntz93ED]You write a brilliant post. Post of the month I do declare.

I'll do that.[/QUOTE

Thanks.

Based on green car above I think I might start a thread about the ford women.

I mean they aren't satisfied with pretend cars or 3 cylinder eurasian wowserz

They are naturally pretty, they familiarize themselves with power, can service their own cars, are across their specs and possess an intelligent practicality

They compete and they don't apologize.

They drive their falcons to warn other road users that they are people that need to be dealt with, and not to be ignored or mucked about.
washoutbeach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #95
dylancox

[QUOTE=washoutbeach]
Quote:

I'll do that.[/QUOTE

Thanks.

They are naturally pretty, they familiarize themselves with power, can service their own cars, are across their specs and possess an intelligent practicality

They drive their falcons to warn other road users that they are people that need to be dealt with, and not to be ignored or mucked about.
Wow where are these mythical Ford women you speak of? Reminds me of the song 'Such a fine sight to see.. it's a girl, my lord in a flatbed Ford, slowing down to take a look at me' (Eagles - take it easy). There are too many Holden women around though.
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #96
ray38l

[QUOTE=washoutbeach]
Quote:

I'll do that.[/QUOTE

Thanks.

yes....... rightio. you have a way with words I will give you that. you should be making ads for Ford
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #97
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

[QUOTE=washoutbeach]
Quote:

I'll do that.[/QUOTE

Thanks.

I'd like to know more about these Ford women. Do they really exist? Of all the women I've met in my life, none have ever had more than a passing interest in cars.
Are there any around Brisbane's southern suburbs? If so, I'd like their phone numbers, for, erm, research about the social behaviours of Brisbane's human population. Yeah, that's it.

Last edited by 4.0i OHC; 12-04-2012 at 09:53 PM.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #98
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Sarcasm much?
Nope. I like VNs. VNs are Horn.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #99
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Yeah and from the photos above ( awesome work) they did away with the moulded finger lever on the external petrol lid. Maybe it was causing too much drag. The finger lever had a practical application. But it seems form took over from function.
On EA, everything except GL had remote fuel release anyway, and any with that could not be opened via the finger hole. The fact they still had it was just cost cutting, and the plastic EA-ED fuel doors had a tendency to warp slightly. EF-EL ones are metal and just look so much neater!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #100
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=washoutbeach]
Quote:

I'll do that.[/QUOTE

Thanks.

I do see women like that in amg machinery :-) ( apart from servicing their own cars bit - that is not realistic )

Last edited by SumoDog68; 13-04-2012 at 07:51 AM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #101
washoutbeach

[quote=SumoDog68]
Quote:

I do see women like that in amg machinery :-) ( apart from servicing their own cars bit - that is not realistic )
yeah, I crossed the line a bit.

But I am thinking about the Ford women thread.

I only acquired a Ford recently, I drive a lot for work, so I am busy trying to determine Ford values as they are manifested on the road.

On average, I must say that the Ford girls seem less neurotic and less indecisive than their counterparts in eurasian wowsers. They drive smoothly and with vision. They are less likely to cut you off or drive into your lane. They drive around the speed limit. they dont accellerate or decellerate sharply.

You can have your non-ford driving nervous shy type, simply re-iterating what she watched on the Cable TV last night. Giggle ha ha blah.

But Ford girls know thats naff. In life, they are more easily able to differentiate between the crud and the things that matter.

Women who drive Fords are in command and because they are naturally attractive, they need less make up than other girls.

And they sip their coffee slowly.

Last edited by washoutbeach; 13-04-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 13-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #102
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza
On EA, everything except GL had remote fuel release anyway, and any with that could not be opened via the finger hole. The fact they still had it was just cost cutting, and the plastic EA-ED fuel doors had a tendency to warp slightly. EF-EL ones are metal and just look so much neater!
And FG goes back to plastic fuel doors. . Maybe they should do an FG GL for 21,990.
Old 13-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #103
Danny
GT4.

[QUOTE=washoutbeach]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68

yeah, I crossed the line a bit.

But I am thinking about the Ford women thread.

I only acquired a Ford recently, I drive a lot for work, so I am busy trying to determine Ford values as they are manifested on the road.

On average, I must say that the Ford girls seem less neurotic and less indecisive than their counterparts in eurasian wowsers. They drive smoothly and with vision. They are less likely to cut you off or drive into your lane. They drive around the speed limit. they dont accellerate or decellerate sharply.

You can have your non-ford driving nervous shy type, simply re-iterating what she watched on the Cable TV last night. Giggle ha ha blah.

But Ford girls know thats naff. In life, they are more easily able to differentiate between the crud and the things that matter.

Women who drive Fords are in command and because they are naturally attractive, they need less make up than other girls.

And they sip their coffee slowly.
Honestly,

There are a few types of girls I see driving Falcons, they are (in no particular order)
1. Dorks
2. Bogan with white servo Arnnette sunnies
3. Goths/Emo chicks who are into cars and wear boots with studs
4. Shy, 18YO Daddy bought me this big ol gLi to keep me safe on my red P's
5. Women who work for a huge conglomerate who were forced one as a company fleet car, and have no idea of what it is.

Classy Trendy latte sipping confident fashionista girls?? When I see one in a falcon, I'll let you know.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #104
washoutbeach

[QUOTE=Danny]
Quote:

Honestly,

There are a few types of girls I see driving Falcons, they are (in no particular order)
1. Dorks
2. Bogan with white servo Arnnette sunnies
3. Goths/Emo chicks who are into cars and wear boots with studs
4. Shy, 18YO Daddy bought me this big ol gLi to keep me safe on my red P's
5. Women who work for a huge conglomerate who were forced one as a company fleet car, and have no idea of what it is.

Classy Trendy latte sipping confident fashionista girls?? When I see one in a falcon, I'll let you know.

lol, awesome post, few words, so much said.

Anyway, Ive started a thread to see what other people think. If you could be bothered I'd love to read you expanding on this fine work.
Old 14-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #105
EATHSV
Oo---oO

I couldn't quite accept the left over XF bits on the EA (mirrors, hubcaps,3speed theres probably more) I'm also a firm believer in not getting the first of any new model cycle. EA, AU1 or BA1

I got a nice 5speed ED Gli instead God I miss that car! Sold it with 350,000km on it still going strong! That was 6 years ago and its still going today!

I've just went back to the mighty Eseries after dabbeling in AUs for a while. So good to be back!

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #106
washoutbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EATHSV
I couldn't quite accept the left over XF bits on the EA (mirrors, hubcaps,3speed theres probably more) I'm also a firm believer in not getting the first of any new model cycle. EA, AU1 or BA1

I got a nice 5speed ED Gli instead God I miss that car! Sold it with 350,000km on it still going strong! That was 6 years ago and its still going today!

I've just went back to the mighty Eseries after dabbeling in AUs for a while. So good to be back!
A very impressive car.

Its nice to see the pristine, hardly ever driven, but I like the old warhorses that keep up the good fight. I especially like the ones that have been cared for and despite the hard kms still scrub up well.
Old 14-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #107
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It almost appears that Ford were “complacent” with their sales leadership over GM, and failed to appreciate the inherent institutional devotion to Holden that was ready to swing back into play the instant they returned to a full-size car.

The Falcon history is full of brilliant cars for their day. Possibly from the beginning, but certainly from the days of the XR-T-W-Y Ford had a superior product. The XA-B-C were so superior to the HQ-J-X-Z that GM’s continued leadership was mindboggling. Yet “Holden” have always been good at pushing the “Australian” button. Today, it’s astonishing just how many people think that “Holden” “started out” as an Australian company but that Ford has always been American.

It took the Opel Commodore to gift sales leadership to Ford, but that was always going to be challenged just as soon as GM reverted to a wide-bodied model.

The VN was a horrendous bucket of scrap. A widened Opel body, with the VL front-end, and a cast-off Buick engine and tranny. Yet is was exactly what the “Holden” faithful had been waiting for, and with standard MPI and 4spd tranny, actually had some people convinced it was the better car.

Given how long it had supposed been under development, it’s unbelievable just how badly Ford botched the EA.
The new OHC engine was originally supposed to feature in the XF2, but was so far behind schedule that had to bring out an ULP version of the 4.1. When it did debut it leaked Oil and had cooling problems.
Again, the 4spd electronic box should have been there for the XF2, but didn’t make it until the EA2.
I don’t know what their excuse for the front-end was, but the “improved handling” of the EA very quickly became known for shredding tyres.
The interior was cheap, and the Umbrella handbrake something out of the 60’s.
Despite the speculation, the lack of a performance variant such as a turbo was also short-sighted.
Put simply they bungled it and were caught flat-footed. GM stole back sales leadership and has never looked back.

The EA was a great looking car. I despise it for its failures, not for its looks.

I had a Boss who always bought a new Ford every couple of years, and then kept them in the family. He had an EA, his wife was driving the XF, and his son the XD. When he moved up to an EF, he kept the XF & XD and got rid of the EA.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #108
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
Put simply they bungled it and were caught flat-footed. GM stole back sales leadership and has never looked back.
But the Falcon was number one on the sales charts until 1996 - the 1995 model EF was the best selling car ever in Australia up until that point, they sold nearly 90,000 of the tanks. By that stage the Windsor V8 had been back for a few years, the great looking XR6 had come about and the overall product was far superior to the VR/VS Commodore, so why did it lose sales momentum then and not in the EA era?
Old 14-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #109
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
so why did it lose sales momentum then and not in the EA era?
The AU happened. Along with the beginning of the end for large car sales in general. Apparently.

Last edited by SSD-85; 14-04-2012 at 08:09 AM.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #110
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
But the Falcon was number one on the sales charts until 1996 - the 1995 model EF was the best selling car ever in Australia up until that point, they sold nearly 90,000 of the tanks. By that stage the Windsor V8 had been back for a few years, the great looking XR6 had come about and the overall product was far superior to the VR/VS Commodore, so why did it lose sales momentum then and not in the EA era?
Ford lost sales momentum when the VT arrived. The old EL soldiered on for another year against the much newer shape of the Commodore, and many Ford fans held out to buy the AU. It's only then when the AU was unveiled, many of these shocked people planning to buy this new Falcon took a U-turn straight to the Holden dealership and bought a Commodore. It never fully recovered. BA got close but considering it was considerably better than a VY and still sold less, the damage was definitely done.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #111
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

There is, and never was, anything wrong with the AU. Beautiful car inside & out, in fact lately I've been missing my AU2, would love to look at getting another one.

Why people flocked for the POS VT over the AU will never cease to baffle me.
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #112
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Having owned a EA II Wagon and a ED Wagon, I muchly prefered the ED.
3.9CFI was a dog. Sluggish and when it got old all the electrics were plagued to go off all at one (sensors etc).
Both cars were dogged with that "infamous" Head Gasket problem.
The biggest selling point on why I bought a BA.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #113
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
There is, and never was, anything wrong with the AU. Beautiful car inside & out, in fact lately I've been missing my AU2, would love to look at getting another one.

Why people flocked for the POS VT over the AU will never cease to baffle me.
Probably because the far majority preferred the styling at the time, I know I did. Yet here we are, 13? years later after its arrival and the AU without a doubt it a far better looker (bar pov pack AU1 Fortes).
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #114
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza
It's only then when the AU was unveiled, many of these shocked people planning to buy this new Falcon took a U-turn straight to the Holden dealership and bought a Commodore.
If it were me buying a car at the time, I would've bought an EL at runout prices as soon as I saw pictures of the AU1 rather than go and join the dark side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
There is, and never was, anything wrong with the AU.
Except the way it looked at the time.

I didn't like it when it first came out, and I still don't like the look of the AU1 Forte and Futura front end.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #115
washoutbeach

I liked the AU shape when it came out.

It didnt have the finesse of the EA, but it seperated Ford from the pack and was nothing to be ashamed of.

It was a car for a new century. If anything the BA was a little less sincere and wobbly. But against the commodore, it was a giant.
Old 14-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #116
dylancox

Quote:
But the Falcon was number one on the sales charts until 1996 - the 1995 model EF was the best selling looking car ever in Australia up until that point, they sold nearly 90,000 of the tanks.
Those EF's are a handsome car, everything from the all new hubcaps, chunky ergonomic spacious interior, semicircle taillights, slim headlights, the noseless GLI front, wicked XR front, to the sleek fairmont/fairlane fronts. It hid its EA origins very well. VS looked like a VN that had cheap plastic surgery. If EF were sold new today I would buy one in a heartbeat, I'm sure the sales figures speak for themselves. EF's are pure horn.

Last edited by dylancox; 14-04-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 14-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #117
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The E-Series falcons were the best ford had done, untill the FG.

EF-EL's ave got by far the best quality interior of late.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #118
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
The E-Series falcons were the best ford had done, untill the FG.

EF-EL's ave got by far the best quality interior of late.
Hmm

You know what. I am going to say something, and I don't want to cause drama or argument.

Looks aside, the AU I II AND III were the highest quality, solidly built, smooth, and most reliable Falcon Ever made. Full stop. Our AUIII XR6 Ute was my favourite Ute I have ever had, never a problem, where the EF, BA, BF, and the FG's just seem to keep going back to the dealer, and have very cheap feeling buttons and interiors (they do look aesthetically pleasing than the AU baboons ***). Just a triumph. AU was the pinnacle or ford workers passion even in the face of criticism.

If the AU did not have the body it had, it might hve been the best Australian car ever made, au failed because it's design was ahead of its time, under the polarising exterior was a reliable and well built, great performing vehicle that hardly had any issues. AU owners; KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #119
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I really like the look of the AU T series and the Fairlanes, very nice cars.

I don't like the rear on the EF/L, it has this rounded off rectangle *** with oval tail lights.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #120
EFinSilver

All this talk about the EA makes me want to track one down,buy it then restore it as much as possible.
EFinSilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post