Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #91
drwevil

Default Re: Ecoboost: MEDIA LAUNCH: AFF Review - A Change Of Perception.

Only the XT has the low rolling resistance tyres the G6E has normal and its fuel gauge pointed toward the F for ages...
Not real scientific I know but still it was pretty good...
drwevil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #92
Rodge
Banned

Falc EB XT Comb 8.1 L/100km Urban 11.8L/100km Extra urban 6.0 L/100km
Falc EB G6E Comb 8.5L/100km Urban 12.2L/100km Extra Urban 6.4 L/100km

Can't help but wonder what grip and handling compromises are involved with those low rolling resistance tyres, sure there's some minor fuel economy savings but at what price...
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #93
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
Falc EB XT Comb 8.1 L/100km Urban 11.8L/100km Extra urban 6.0 L/100km
Falc EB G6E Comb 8.5L/100km Urban 12.2L/100km Extra Urban 6.4 L/100km

Can't help but wonder what grip and handling compromises are involved with those low rolling resistance tyres, sure there's some minor fuel economy savings but at what price...
Throwing it around a racetack, jumping from the 6 to 4 .... in the wet ..... the tyres made no difference at all. I could get the bum out easier though on the 6 as it just didn't handle as tight as the 4. The front especially dug in and you could hear the tyres at the front struggling with the heavier 6. Had more body roll and was noticeable. Not saying the 6 was bad but noticeable once you were in the 4.

What I would like to know is what is the difference in price and would the 0.4 litres/100 be killed off because of the price difference in tyres?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #94
drwevil

I suspect the extra you pay for low roll resist tyres would be about the same premium you would pay for the low profile tyres that is usually fitted to the G6 and the G6E.

Last edited by drwevil; 05-05-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #95
Rodge
Banned

Smile Re: Ecoboost: MEDIA LAUNCH: AFF Review - A Change Of Perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Throwing it around a racetack, jumping from the 6 to 4 .... in the wet ..... the tyres made no difference at all. I could get the bum out easier though on the 6 as it just didn't handle as tight as the 4. The front especially dug in and you could hear the tyres at the front struggling with the heavier 6. Had more body roll and was noticeable. Not saying the 6 was bad but noticeable once you were in the 4.

What I would like to know is what is the difference in price and would the 0.4 litres/100 be killed off because of the price difference in tyres?
Sounds like the EB make quite an impression on you and thanks for your handling comments. Looked into these new low rolling resistance tyres a bit, most of the manufacturers appear to be claiming significant enhancements to tyre longevity, along with fuel economy benifets.
I guess this makes sense as if there's less rolling resistance it stands to reason there's less tyre wear. I'm thinking perhaps the extra cost of the tyres may be reflected in the extra tyre longevity you'd get so the extra fuel efficiency appears to be genuine savings.

Not sure what brand Ford are using but here's some comments from users of the Michilin Energy tyres. http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews67023.html
They look pretty good IMO.

Last edited by Rodge; 06-05-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #96
drwevil

I have a feeling the Ecolpi has special tyres too but I can't remember where I heard or read about that..
Old 08-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #97
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

EcoBoost presentation to Australian Journalists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nze7XKSzCEc
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #98
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
Sounds like the EB make quite an impression on you and thanks for your handling comments. .
Yes .... more so than most other things. While the power was a surprise but expected with what was written previously, if the power was down or felt like a 4 I would have been very disappointed ..... but the handling just stood out as the one of the best features. Especially being able to jump from the 6 to the 4 it really showed the short coming of the 6. Again .... not that the 6 is so bad .... its a case that the 4 is just that good!

Mind you though ...... I drive a 335 as you know ..... and the difference with the handling is quite large. It isn't a matter of the 335 being bad as I love it and corners well, the 4 just doesn't have that notorious 'Ford Roll' most are very accustomed to.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 18-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #99
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm worried the public doesn't even know about this brilliant vehicle. I reckon if you asked a regular on the street they would have no idea there is a 4cyl Falcon available.
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #100
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
I'm worried the public doesn't even know about this brilliant vehicle. I reckon if you asked a regular on the street they would have no idea there is a 4cyl Falcon available.
I agree 100%!!! I think Ford have wasted their money with Ecoboost, because they refuse to tell anyone about it!! What is the point of creating such a world class local car, if you don’t tell anyone? If Ford thinks a youtube video (great as it may be), is all they need to do to launch this car, there are dreaming..

I'm totally disgusted at Ford with regards to this.. If you didn't put an A&P budget in your calculations as part of the "project", then the project is a total waste of time & doomed to fail.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #101
prydey
Rob

i think you are over reacting a little bit and making big assumptions about how joe public go about buying cars.

as ford fans, we are very aware of all the upgrades and new models etc that ford do. personally i wouldn't have a clue about the running gear in most other cars on the market. i don't frequent other car brand forums and the ads i see on tv don't tell me anything about the cars engines. take mazda for example, i couldn't tell you what skyactiv is etc.

we should not assume that the buying public need to be as in tune with ford as what the enthusiasts are.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #102
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i think you are over reacting a little bit and making big assumptions about how joe public go about buying cars.

as ford fans, we are very aware of all the upgrades and new models etc that ford do. personally i wouldn't have a clue about the running gear in most other cars on the market. i don't frequent other car brand forums and the ads i see on tv don't tell me anything about the cars engines. take mazda for example, i couldn't tell you what skyactiv is etc.

we should not assume that the buying public need to be as in tune with ford as what the enthusiasts are.
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT...you mentioned skyacti....does anyone talk about ecoboost or ecolpi outside forums etc.

Ford have a couple to months to ramp things up or I agree with the rest, they are on drugs thinking the cars will sell themselves.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #103
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT...you mentioned skyacti....
yep. i see it mentioned when i browse carsales etc. i couldn't tell you what it is or does.

anything i know about other cars drivelines is what i've read or come across myself surfing the net.
Old 18-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #104
drwevil

There is a dealer launch coming soon.
Ford didn't say when it would happen.
I'd say the recent supply problems may have changed the date.
Old 18-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #105
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
yep. i see it mentioned when i browse carsales etc. i couldn't tell you what it is or does.

anything i know about other cars drivelines is what i've read or come across myself surfing the net.
Well I am the same, I think it has something to do with low friction components or something, anyway better fuel economy.

Just like AFM its partially **** but we are atleast acknowledging it..I hope others do the same with Ford and Ecoboost!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #106
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I hope I am don't worry. We've sent a few salespeople out with the Ecoboost to a few events in different suburbs and they came back saying the reaction was fantasitc BUT they never knew there was such a thing available. This is also the case for Kuga and Mondeo Ecoboost.
Old 18-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #107
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I hope I am don't worry. We've sent a few salespeople out with the Ecoboost to a few events in different suburbs and they came back saying the reaction was fantasitc BUT they never knew there was such a thing available. This is also the case for Kuga and Mondeo Ecoboost.
Lets hope the dealers do a better job selling Ecoboost than Ford is doing..

Have you sold any yet??
Old 18-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #108
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Lets hope the dealers do a better job selling Ecoboost than Ford is doing..

Have you sold any yet??
We are trying very hard but nothing as of yet. We have around 3 Ecoboost G6 Limited's in stock plus a demo all stickered up. Really hoping to sell some soon!
Old 19-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #109
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its really no suprise Ford continually fail selling their cars in numbers they should, marketing is a key point in making people aware of what you have got and makes them want to buy it, but they suck at it, and then wonder why their sales volumes get smashed by inferior products. And they do it over and over again, and keep scratching their heads.

When are the execs going to start taking the blame for this crap, instead of the bs excuses all the time? And some back up from Detroit to get the supplies they need? If they want Ford Australia to make money then back them up with what they need FFS.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #110
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm slowly warming to the EcoBoost .. I'll probably never own one as I waste all my money on old cars and bikes and my wife needs a ute .. But the EB sounds like a good thing for people who want a 4cyl for the sake of having a 4cyl.
All the talk about L/100km is a bit weird though. Does John Citizen REALLY worry about that when they they look to buy a new car? last two cars I bought were based around torque and towing capacity .. But I'd be in a small minority. I'd have thought most people these days buy based on looks, gadgets, seating configuration (access, etc for kids) and number of cylinders .. Most wouldn't care (or understand) L/100km .. And most would not get anything near that in real world as they are all just stab-n-steer, stoplight to stoplight.
I'd that thought the Falcon 4cyl at least ticks a couple of those boxes .. And with a 4cyl it is perceived to be cheap to run .. Regardless of it's actual L/100km ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #111
69Mach1

Drove G6E Ecoboost last night, a mate who works for Ford has one. Very nice car, good power & torque even from low revs. IMO performance is good for a car of this size and should be enough to satisfy anyone used to the 6 cylinder. Frankly it's hard to believe there's only a milk bottle under the hood. Top job Ford Australia on this car.

Fuel economy on the other hand.......not so great, economy was indicating 12.8 l/100km, normal driving around town....mate reckons its no better than std 4.0...
69Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #112
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1

Fuel economy on the other hand.......not so great, economy was indicating 12.8 l/100km, normal driving around town....mate reckons its no better than std 4.0...
i don't think thats a very accurate way of determining the fuel economy. i'd imagine after 2 or 3 tanks you might start to get a bit of a trend, not after a quick drive round town.
Old 26-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #113
Rodge
Banned

Urban consumption is rated at 11.8 or 12.2 L/100 km's for XT and G6 respectivly, motor is tight and new and all round town so sounds about right at this stage. Extra urban is 6.0 & 6.4 L/100 km's, Less fuel burn than a diesel RWD Terry which uses more expensive fuel !!

What's not to like other than lack of lion hunting ability...no hang on, this thing will probably blitz all the non V8 powered lions too
A 2.0 litre Falc that beats V6 Holdens
Old 26-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #114
69Mach1

Quote:
i don't think thats a very accurate way of determining the fuel economy. i'd imagine after 2 or 3 tanks you might start to get a bit of a trend, not after a quick drive round town.
True, although I didn't ask how long he'd had it for or how many km he had done. I'll ask him again in a month or so and see if there is any improvement.
69Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #115
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Driving for 350 k's managed an average of 8 something with very spirited driving. Worse figure was 9.1 on steep twisties in manual mode .... And was giving it to it.

The GT gets 15 flat around town and less in the sticks. Give it 10 minutes with some hefty driving can have it sitting over 20 but that's not what I would consider average.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 26-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #116
nstg8a

i got a ride home in a g6e turbo taxi last night, and the driver was saying hes ordered three to replace his current g6et, and his other two g6 taxis.
i asked him why the eb and not the ecolpi, and he said lpg prices are now too volatile, and none of the taxi mechanics have a clue how ecolpi works, so its ford doing the servicing, and thats too expensive.
his g6et is running a 'top of the line' (his words) injected lpg system and will be sold off when the eb's are ready.

with a lot of txis now running 4 cylinder vw's and toyotas maybe the eb will become the new darling of the taxi industry?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #117
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
i got a ride home in a g6e turbo taxi last night, and the driver was saying hes ordered three to replace his current g6et, and his other two g6 taxis.
i asked him why the eb and not the ecolpi, and he said lpg prices are now too volatile, and none of the taxi mechanics have a clue how ecolpi works, so its ford doing the servicing, and thats too expensive.
his g6et is running a 'top of the line' (his words) injected lpg system and will be sold off when the eb's are ready.

with a lot of txis now running 4 cylinder vw's and toyotas maybe the eb will become the new darling of the taxi industry?
If he's already running an injected LPG system in his current car it won't be much different from the LPi then.

Don't understand why his mechanics can't service it, its pretty much exactly the same as a petrol engine.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #118
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've sold a few more, G6 Limited's!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #119
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We've sold a few more, G6 Limited's!
That is good news.. Are they an easier sell than the petrol 6??
Old 13-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #120
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
That is good news.. Are they an easier sell than the petrol 6??
I don't sell personally, I think the hardest part is telling people how good it is. Once they take it for a drive and see all the benefits I'm sure it all hits home. Unless you tow, the I6 seems to be the second choice, in QLD at least.