Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #91
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford to continue designing and building in Australia

A dinosaur? well yes I guess you're right an engine capable of 800 000 to 1 000 000 Ks has no place in the 21st century we want throw away items is this day and age . the I6 falcon engine is well engineerd to deliver good power and torque at low revs giving it the reliability and smooth drivability all true ford enthusiasts love.
a 310 Kw 4.0l with 565 Nm of torque is definatly outdated after all we only want bright green engines that use next to no fuel and make us envy a rubber band for power.
so yes the I6 is a well engineered dinosaur [/sarcasm]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Why bother spending money reworking that dinosaur engine, no matter how good it is, it would only be unique to Australian/NZ markets so not worth spending development money on, easier and more cost effective just to source and use the best thing Ford already has at the moment.

Plus a V6 is a shorter engine.

Design the Falcon here in Australia, build it in Thailand and start it off at 29,990 ;)

Or just kill it off as they CBF with it anymore it seems, might be better off dead.

The bean counters always win, even if it isn't the best outcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
If Falcon got 3.5L TT wouldn't that be a step forward?
a huge step backwards the I6 is a proven bullet proof engine. you just can't kill them unlike these high reving V6 engines

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #92
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for a dinasour engine they are very bulletproof!! they would be one of (or is) the best ever motors made in australia.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #93
prydey
Rob

i would say, regardless of the I6's record, ecoboost will be the future for ford. banging on about lasting 800000km is pointless to the majority. even at 30000km/yr, thats still nearly 27 years of ownership.

ecoboost engines, esp the v6 variety make plenty of power and torque, all in a very usable range, and use a lot less fuel doing it.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #94
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats why there are many falcons on the road long after the same camy magna or dunnydore are dead and buried ( in regard to Ks) lets face it the falcon I6 stands the test of time and there are many who make use of the hi Ks that they can get aut of a truely great engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i would say, regardless of the I6's record, ecoboost will be the future for ford. banging on about lasting 800000km is pointless to the majority. even at 30000km/yr, thats still nearly 27 years of ownership.

ecoboost engines, esp the v6 variety make plenty of power and torque, all in a very usable range, and use a lot less fuel doing it.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #95
prydey
Rob

and how many of those falcons are driven by the original owners?? nearly every single one of them would be the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc owners.

car manufacturers don't often concern themselves with how the engine will cope with the 7th owner after half a million km's.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #96
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i would say, regardless of the I6's record, ecoboost will be the future for ford .
I think you're right. Fords I6 isn't optimised to be 4l to begin with, it's essentially a stroked 3.3l. If it was a global engine they might replace it with an all new I6 design but the V6 is the global engine.

There's not only emissions regs to think about in the future but also crash regulations. I don't see them slanting the engine over to pass pedestrian crash regulations for example.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #97
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
to this day i still don't like the styling of the 380. it looks like two different design teams did the front and rear separately (or more likely, they slapped then current design corporate face from the evo onto the square bodied magna) and the two ends just don't meld.

I dunno about that.

The base model in any car looks bland.

Put some nice wheels and accessories on any car and it looks reasonable.

Like this 380 for example...

zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #98
Sprint347
Tickford

Carefully chosen words by an Exec.

It could mean anything, even 'australian designed front and rear bumpers etc.' to 'personalize' our 'Falcon' that was engineered and manufactured overseas (as an international platform). That way it'd still be unique to our market, be 'made in Australia' but alot cheaper for Ford to engineer and manufacture.

Personally I have believed all indicators have pointed to the 2014 Falcon being the final truly 'Australian' Falcon. It's not a case of being negative, it's being realistic.

The Falcon has had poor sales for years.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #99
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Say again?
I see that I'm thinking of something else entirely.

I didn't even get the brand right.