Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #121
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry Laine
come across these blokes in Griffith NSW all the time,selling plasma and lcd screens home entertainment systems.White Van Vic rego.
Not surprised at all being Griffith, they were probably there to pick up some more "product"..

**I was born there so I can say that lol**
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #122
Mulberry Laine

Mulberry Laine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #123
EDXRSW

I've got a classic for you, my next door neighbour whos a big guy 6foot 4. and a couple of his workers where driving along in there work ute and the same scam was offered to them so they said the the guys in the van yeah where interested and stopped and had a look at the speakers.When the deal was all done my neighbour and the guys just put the speakers in the back of his ute and drove off, the guys in the van went nuts until my neighbour threatened to rip there heads off. My neighbour just told them to call the cops and get them to chase him, didn't happen of course.
I laughed my *** off when i heard that story.
EDXRSW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #124
divyb

damn! i wish i found this thread a week ago :(

two guys in a white van drove by me when i was at a shopping centre car park, one was
a whiteguy around 24-26 and the other was a wog around the same age probably abit older (oh im not using the word wog in a bad way)
they had a company logo on there shirts and even had a clip board with the logo lol
there story was we picked up a extra stereo system and are trying to make a few extra bucks,
i didnt believe the story but the system looked ok and i was fooled by the barcode on the box saying msrp $5,999
i ended up buying it for $500 it had a receiver, 2 tower speakers and 3 surround speakers
they sound really good so i cant complain but the funny thing is the guy that lives two doors down from me got pulled up buy the same guys 2 weeks ago

do you all think it is wrong for me to re-sell it for the same price i paid?
divyb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #125
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXRSW
I've got a classic for you, my next door neighbour whos a big guy 6foot 4. and a couple of his workers where driving along in there work ute and the same scam was offered to them so they said the the guys in the van yeah where interested and stopped and had a look at the speakers.When the deal was all done my neighbour and the guys just put the speakers in the back of his ute and drove off, the guys in the van went nuts until my neighbour threatened to rip there heads off. My neighbour just told them to call the cops and get them to chase him, didn't happen of course.
I laughed my *** off when i heard that story.
Pure gold
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #126
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyb
damn! i wish i found this thread a week ago :(

two guys in a white van drove by me when i was at a shopping centre car park, one was
a whiteguy around 24-26 and the other was a wog around the same age probably abit older (oh im not using the word wog in a bad way)
they had a company logo on there shirts and even had a clip board with the logo lol
there story was we picked up a extra stereo system and are trying to make a few extra bucks,
i didnt believe the story but the system looked ok and i was fooled by the barcode on the box saying msrp $5,999
i ended up buying it for $500 it had a receiver, 2 tower speakers and 3 surround speakers
they sound really good so i cant complain but the funny thing is the guy that lives two doors down from me got pulled up buy the same guys 2 weeks ago

do you all think it is wrong for me to re-sell it for the same price i paid?
Probably just cheap crappy speakers and reciever from ebay or something, I doubt they're stolen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #127
Hemicuda
IH8TOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR2DOOR
wow i cant belieave there still doing it theyve been doing it for 20 odd years

oh man am i that old :

That's what i was thinking. I cant believe this is still going on either. I can remember being approached back in the early 90's.
Hemicuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #128
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
yea i had them the other week at Ipswich. Dodgy as lol. Vic plates on the relatively new Hiace as well.
They hire the vans...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #129
ubute
Back in Black

Yeah same sounding guys bailed me up in the car park at Stafford City Shopping Centre the other week. Wish I'd thought of that trick getting them to load up my ute then nicking off. Knowing my luck the cops would've been watching and I'd have been the one getting caught.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:30 AM   #130
qwiksix

Hey, I got bailed up by these guys while I was doing some business at an ATM. They pulled up at a stop light. Conversation went like this:
WhiteVanGuys: "Hey"
I ignored them about 3 times.
WVG: "Hey do you want to buy some speakers?"
Me: "Faaark off"
WVG:"What did you say?"
Me: "White van guys"
WVG:"Hahaha. It's a good deal. Did you hear that from the internet?"
Me: "You guys are famous!"

This happened at Gordon (Sydney) about 2pm on Thursday. Saw them cruising past the train station and car parks too. There's a cop station like 20m from where they hit me up...

Damn, should have got the numberplates and some pics or a vid....
Next time...

ws
qwiksix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 04:38 AM   #131
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

The actual factory that they run out of is in Friars Road, Moorabbin. Can't for the life of me remember the number but it's on the left hand side behind an actual business about 3/4 of the way up Friars Road with Coke on your right hand side if you are coming from Keys Road.

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #132
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it a scam if the goods are not stolen? It might not be ethical business practices, but I do not think it's a scam.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #133
Argonautica
www.argonautica.com.au

I was bailed up awhile back in FTG, and politely "declined" to purchase the goods. I also thought it was a scam purchasing re-branded copy speakers....anyway - Plenty of Police mates and relatives so I asked one night over a few beers with the lads, turns out they are legitimate registered businesses and operate from vans reducing overheads and market the goods from the van because people will think they are getting a cheap deal...and hence be more likely to buy.
Old 14-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #134
Rangas GTP

Blue van scam now,came across them at the BP service station on Princess Hwy St Peters Sydney. Two greek guys selling Deutsch Akustik D-85 systems. Me also being greek tried scamming the scammers till I was happy with my outlay. Yeh may be stupid buying off them but the sub had ipod dock. Perfect for the garage. Had to laugh, the blue van they were driving had VIC plates.
Rangas GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #135
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 
Default Dodgy white van international?

This is quite intriguing. I had this here in Wellington in early 2000s. A friend and I still joke about the guy's in a white van calling out at the lights "hey buddy, wanna buy some speakers?"

I know a guy who bought a set for a small drama theatre. They were branded as Cerwin Vega or JBL, grey woolly cabinets. They actually sounded fine but they certainly were not genuine.

So are these the same guys?
NeillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #136
Teflon Turbo
Banned

without having read the last 5 pages of this thread thouroughly, happens once a year to me, but, when i use to have a scanner, someone called the cops on one of these guys, so the popo went and checked em out and it was legit, they actually have a permit to sell those via the van and on the street and all their goods have supporting paperwork and the businesses check out.

got all that info over the air waves first hand
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 01:12 AM   #137
silvergsvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon Turbo
so the popo went
Watchin "The Wire"?
silvergsvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #138
Teflon Turbo
Banned

yeah popo, fuzz, five-0, jacks, the man, whatever, you get the drift
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #139
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These guys or simillar approached me last week here in Perth in Scarborough to buy some speakers.
I was last approached by these guys a few years ago, I said I had no money to buy speakers and they said thats cool, they will give me a lift to the ATM!!!!

Anyways lastweek I saw them trawiling the shopoping centre car parks. As soon as the passenger saw me the driver floored it and raced around the car bays to get to me, I ran for it and made it to my ute but they managed to pull up next to me in their van. They started yelling "HEY MATE!, HEY MATE!!! COME HERE FOR A SEC!" as he waved some form of invoice book.
I just laughed and reverded out.

They are real spineless tossers. Ive seen them trying to persuade old women in the car park.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post