Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 18-03-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Anyone else see that page from a book? Something about a virus originating in Wuhan in 2020.

Book is old, like 80's old.

Saw it on FB but can't find it now, wondering if it was legit?
The eyes of darkness
Old 18-03-2020, 11:26 PM   #2
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Anyone else see that page from a book? Something about a virus originating in Wuhan in 2020.

I have a broken wrist watch which tells the correct time twice a day. If I wait long enough somebody will ask for the time just when my watch is at the correct time.

Many prophecies have been written with very few ever proven correct.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
3 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Quote:

Saw that too. Interesting.

Last edited by PridenJoy; 19-03-2020 at 03:04 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

As if this virus pandemic isn't tough enough on a bloke, some guy on TV plans to expose his stimulus package to me missus...again
2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #5
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

The mental gymnastics and backflips are if anything priceless:

1. China tells WHO there is little risk of person to person transmission (fact January 14)
  2. Wuhan virus, officially recognized by WHO as COVID-19 (yes it did originate in China in 2019)
  3. WHO, everything is OK and under control, as Virus spreads across the globe
  4. In the global pandemic race, Australia wins by declaring a pandemic before WHO
  5. We declared a pandemic first, and we've had 2 weeks head start
  6. No need to close borders = borders closed
  7. I'm off to the footy, but not tonight
  8. AR, AFL, NRL, Festivals (just about everyone) seeking government bailouts
  9. No cash handouts, as cash handouts being discussed
  10. Let's have the all the NRL teams move to FNQ
  11. Relying on the best medical advice, CMO "Australian's should prepare for the virus to spread" (and GovCo can't understand why people are panicking) Cognitive Issues perhaps?
  12. Everything is under control = this could take 6 months to resolve
  13. Rush on TP, no need to worry amply supply, working 24x7x365, weeks later still no TP supply
  14. Groups of less than 500 people are perfectly Ok and safe (does this mean the virus cannot count beyond 499?), but groups of 100 people are safer
  15. Social Distantancing, 1.5-metre distancing is OK, which now becomes 1 person per 4 square meters (at least Australia has sufficient land area, and luckily my house meets the new criteria, suggested wife sleep outside)
  16. Don't listen to social media, only listen to GovCo
  17. Sunrise Channel 7: Is hand sanitiser better than soap?
  18. Just wash your hands!
  19. We're flattening the curve, maybe they'll take the bumps out of our roads next?
  20. No need to panic = cops in the supermarkets
  21. Hoarding is un-Australian, and we're going to get you
  22. $750 million rescue package for the Airlines - the next day Qantas sacks (sorry stands down) most of its workforce
  23. Schools will stay open they're safe because Singapore says so (I guess the UK and most of the world doesn't trust Singapore?)
  24. Tasmania closes its borders, succession from the Commonwealth is next objective
  25. Qld Government votes itself a break for 6 months (full pay off course)
  26. Courts close, criminals rejoice
  27. Overseas illicit drug supply in disarray, now facing ruin because international flights have stopped
  28. Racist to call it the Chinese Coronavirus, what does that mean for a "Boston Steamer"?
  29. RBA, rates become 0.50%, then 0.25% do I hear 0.00%?
  30. Massive fines for breaching self-isolation, potential new revenue stream for the states
  31. The world's eyes are on Tom Hanks, he recovers and is now forgotten about

It's been very busy, and we've only just started!
7 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #6
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
The mental gymnastics and backflips are if anything priceless:

It's been very busy, and we've only just started!
And the biggest question is .... now that Tasmania have "closed their boarders", how do we keep it permanently closed off from the rest of Australia?
Old 19-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
Saw that too. Interesting.

Yeah, only if you read the circled bits. The rest is wrong. Broken watch is right twice a day is the best way to describe it.
4 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Yeah, only if you read the circled bits. The rest is wrong. Broken watch is right twice a day is the best way to describe it.
Also important to note that the original edition of the book referred to the bioweapon as Gorki-400.

For the 1989 edition onwards, the novel's bioweapon was renamed Wuhan-400 (likely due to the end of the Cold War).

Hardly an accurate prediction of what we are currently experiencing.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
4 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 10:23 PM   #9
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Good ol' Scotty said today - using Singapore as an example, that he has decided not to close the schools. Firstly, Singapore acted quicker, and did a much, much, better job of restricting the spread and containing it. The students and teaching staff in Singapore were/are checked for temperature daily, and most were/are wearing masks.

We have not - and are not - doing ANY OF THAT! We haven't acted quick enough to stop the spread, and we don't check the temperature of every student and teacher! So how can he possibly use Singapore as a comparison??

Children may be a reduced risk of death, and all the stats point to that. But they do help with spreading the virus. How is this not comprehendible to those advising him, or himself? Scotty says he is happy to send his kids to school, so everyone else should be happy too??

The truth of it all, Scotty doesn't want to close the schools because he doesn't want to stop parents from going to work! They will delay the lockdown until it's too damn late, just like most other western countries have done, and we all will pay a big price because of it. Either way we will pay a big price, but locking down everyone would be the better option. Lockdown needed to happen at least 7 days ago.

Last edited by Tickford.; 18-03-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 18-03-2020, 10:36 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I have some friends who are part of a small social group (less than ten people), all are 70+ and of diverse backgrounds. They meet weekly and practice Tai Chi, then go for coffee and a natter at a favourite spot.

There was discussion among them about suspending their social group. One chap decided to self-isolate (he is a devout Catholic and it coincided with his Church's suspension of collective activities). The others decided OK, they are in a technically high risk bracket but all accepted that as a hazard in full cognisance.
Old 19-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Good ol' Scotty said today - using Singapore as an example, that he has decided not to close the schools. Firstly, Singapore acted quicker, and did a much, much, better job of restricting the spread and containing it. The students and teaching staff in Singapore were/are checked for temperature daily, and most were/are wearing masks.

We have not - and are not - doing ANY OF THAT! We haven't acted quick enough to stop the spread, and we don't check the temperature of every student and teacher! So how can he possibly use Singapore as a comparison??

Children may be a reduced risk of death, and all the stats point to that. But they do help with spreading the virus. How is this not comprehendible to those advising him, or himself? Scotty says he is happy to send his kids to school, so everyone else should be happy too??

The truth of it all, Scotty doesn't want to close the schools because he doesn't want to stop parents from going to work! They will delay the lockdown until it's too damn late, just like most other western countries have done, and we all will pay a big price because of it. Either way we will pay a big price, but locking down everyone would be the better option. Lockdown needed to happen at least 7 days ago.

Didn’t he use England as an example of one of his decisions last week?
He just does what he wants then looks for a way to justify it.

Some schools are taking it seriously, some don’t care. I know of a school where a student was on a plane for 14 hours that has had 2 confirmed virus cases. School says kid probably doesn’t have the virus because they were sitting more than 1.5m from the passengers who had it.
I hope he doesn’t have it because social distancing doesn’t work at schools. Too many kids in a class to seperate them. Then on the playground the kids still get up close and touching each other all the time. Especially the younger ones
Old 19-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #12
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

IMO ScoMo has lost the narrative and control - not sure if this is even legal?

https://www.smh.com.au/national/coro...18-p54bjc.html

Tasmania introduces quarantine period for non-essential travellers, declares state of emergency

Tasmania is introducing a quarantine period for non-essential travellers, Premier Peter Gutwein announced this morning, declaring a state of emergency.

"From midnight on Friday, only essential travellers will be allowed into Tasmania without going into quarantine," he said.

"Any non-essential traveller into Tasmania will be required to go into a period of 14 days of quarantine. Essential travellers will be those that are important to our health effort, or to an emergency situation, or those that keep our trade links running."

Tasmanian residents who are returning to the state after midnight on Friday will also have to comply with the quarantine.
Old 18-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #13
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

The number of positive cases in Australia is false. The true number is much, much higher than what is being reported. We don't have the kits, and are not testing people with all the symptoms who present themselves at test centres. They are being turned away and send back into the community to infect others.

Here's why the numbers are not real:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...warns/12062146
Old 18-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The problem is, whatever way you decide to go there will be arguments for and against.

Keep kids in school, possible outbreaks are contained and traceable. Parents are able to try and work to keep the economy going.

Keep them home, they go out and mix in the random public, at least 1 parent needs to look after them and if they ask a grandparent and they are infected that's a recipe for disaster.

I stopped teaching last year however my school has called me back because they have sent home a pregnant teacher 'just in case'.

Sport cancelled.

I have a daughter in Kindy, we get daily messages with updates and arguments for keeping kids at school.

I personally think they are trying to drag things out till the holidays - I doubt they will make it.

Sooner or later all schools will close, Easter holidays will either start early and finish early or start early and go to the timetable (so 5-6 weeks off for some schools).

Today we trialed the system for online lessons and it fractured under the data load.

I would hate to be in a decision making position within the government in current times. Whatever decision you make will cost lives and / or destroy families financially.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 18-03-2020 at 10:52 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 12:19 AM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
The problem is, whatever way you decide to go there will be arguments for and against.

Keep kids in school, possible outbreaks are contained and traceable. Parents are able to try and work to keep the economy going.

Keep them home, they go out and mix in the random public, at least 1 parent needs to look after them and if they ask a grandparent and they are infected that's a recipe for disaster.
Ok, that contains them between the hours of 9 and 3, what
about outside of that time?
If they're capable of mixing with the public between 9 and 3 if not at school, what stops them from mixing after 3 when on public transport or in the shops etc. etc. and if parents are still able to work with them at school, who's looking after them between 3 and when the parents knock off now and why is that person ok to look after them after 3 but not between 9and 3?

My job has me standing outside a school everyday, Im still seeing grandparents picking them up, I still see them waiting at public bus stops, I still see them walking to the local shops, just as much chance of catching it and passing it on after 3 having been at school all day as there is being kept home.
Go to a shopping centre near a school on a pupil free day and its not overrun with 5 to 12yo's, no more than after 3 on a school day in the company of a care provider, yet apparently if the schools are closed all of a sudden every kid will be hanging out at the shops.

Last edited by BENT_8; 19-03-2020 at 12:27 AM.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 12:25 AM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Ok, that contains them between the hours of 9 and 3, what
about outside of that time?
If they're capable of mixing with the public between 9 and 3 if not at school, what stops them from mixing after 3 when on public transport or in the shops etc. etc. and if parents are still able to work with them at school, who's looking after them between 3 and when the parents knock off now and why is that person ok to look after them after 3 but not between 9and 3?
Exactly. There is no correct response to this.

Your damned if you do and your damned if you don't.

Old 19-03-2020, 12:36 AM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Don't get me wrong, id be happy to see the schools stay open because if they close im redundant and the mob I drive for will probably go under, but I cant understand why 30 kids can sit next to each other in a classroom but cant visit the zoo, cinemas or museums etc.
Just close those places during school hours to the general public who get there in private transport and allow the bus drivers to get back behind the wheel and earn a dollar getting the kids there.
Old 19-03-2020, 12:40 AM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Don't get me wrong, id be happy to see the schools stay open because if they close im redundant and the mob I drive for will probably go under, but I cant understand why 30 kids can sit next to each other in a classroom but cant visit the zoo, cinemas or museums etc.
Just close those places during school hours to the general public who get there in private transport and allow the bus drivers to get back behind the wheel and earn a dollar getting the kids there.
I'm in the same boat. I stopped working last year and rely on casual work this year.

If schools close I've lost my main income.

2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 11:08 PM   #19
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Here's a thought. What if the effected age range was flipped? And it's the children and young adults that were dying? Would we have a different view?

Is the importance of someone's life depend on their age? 60+ and you're not as important as the people under 40?
Old 19-03-2020, 12:03 AM   #20
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Here's a thought. What if the effected age range was flipped? And it's the children and young adults that were dying? Would we have a different view?
Yes, I think society would.
But the highest infection rate of COVID-19 is in the 20 to 29 year old age group.
So our young adults are in the group that is the most affected... Just not dying.
Old 21-03-2020, 11:32 PM   #21
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

Is the importance of someone's life depend on their age? 60+ and you're not as important as the people under 40?
the world would be devoid of human life,
no fertile females..
Old 22-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #22
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work in a District School which has 140 primary school kids and about 200 secondary school students..There is about 50 staff and a few reliefs in each department so about 400 altogether . My job is about 60% cleaning and 40% grounds work .. As of last week I'm now 100% cleaning .

I'm required now to rush around like a blue bum fly cleaning , wiping , disinfecting everything constantly . It's already driving me nuts but that's okay . All four of us EFA's are doing this and another one starts tomorrow . Three meetings with our School Business Manager and Principal in five days to re -iterate new protocols on disinfection dished out by the DoE .

Also told that if at some stage the schools are closed we will be still working on a bunch of jobs for an indefinite period ..God only knows what they'll get us to do if that happens .

I might grumble what's going on but I have a job , I know I'll have an income but it truly devastates me that fellow Aussies will die from this and so many millions will be impacted badly financially and socially and in all sorts of other medical ways while this rotten disease is getting fought .

It all bloody sucks..
5 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 03:14 AM   #23
Trek
Blue blooded

This whole thing is sad. It could've been prevented in its spread much more easily and sooner. Humanity ****** up big time.
Old 19-03-2020, 06:13 AM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Thumbs up Re: Covid 19 -

One of our oldies is on forced leave as of next week at work - he is 72.

He wasn't too keen on staying home, plus having all your entitlements forced on you isn't exactly nice either.

The policy was conveniently worded to only include one person
Old 19-03-2020, 07:34 AM   #25
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Social media, and therefore irresponsible individuals, is to blame for much of the panic, hysteria and misinformation being spread.
Social media has given a platform to every wacky idea and conspiracy theory.

Once highly respected professions like doctors and scientists are now being called liars by people with nothing more than YouTube quals themselves.

We now have 911 doubters, moon landing doubters, anti vaxers, chem trail believers etc etc and social media has enabled them to group together and thereby feel more justified in their wild claims.

The current Covid virus problem is being exacerbated by these types of people who somehow 'know better' than the best scientific minds and advice available.

Everything gets questioned ad nauseum and that creates doubt in some leading to fear and panic.
It's time to be reasonable rather than add to the hysteria by making stupid statements based on nothing but gut feelings or as Stuart Littlemore once said "simplistic answers to complex questions"
Old 19-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #26
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Social media, and therefore irresponsible individuals, is to blame for much of the panic, hysteria and misinformation being spread.

Once highly respected professions like doctors and scientists are now being called liars by people with nothing more than YouTube quals themselves.

We now have 911 doubters, moon landing doubters, anti vaxers, chem trail believers etc etc and social media has enabled them to group together and thereby feel more justified in their wild claims.

The current Covid virus problem is being exacerbated by these types of people who somehow 'know better' than the best scientific minds and advice available.

Everything gets questioned ad nauseum and that creates doubt in some leading to fear and panic.
It's time to be reasonable rather than add to the hysteria by making stupid statements based on nothing but gut feelings or as Stuart Littlemore once said "simplistic answers to complex questions"
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

There is always an easy solution to every human problem neat, plausible, and wrong.
Old 19-03-2020, 08:34 AM   #27
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:

Geez, if I didn't know any better, you're advocating behavioral control, filtering of the "wrong" content, and 100% belief in the righteousness of the government officials. The individual must be put into submission for their own good.

I did question if you were operative for the CCP, and here you are again.
5 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #28
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Geez, if I didn't know any better, you're advocating behavioral control, filtering of the "wrong" content, and 100% belief in the righteousness of the government officials. The individual must be put into submission for their own good.

I did question if you were operative for the CCP, and here you are again.
Ah you're back

You'd run away to the Tesla thread for a while to regroup.

Imagine if we all had to put our real name and phone numbers in our signature on here. Things would be a lot more civilised.
Old 19-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #29
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Imagine if we all had to put our real name and phone numbers in our signature on here. Things would be a lot more civilised.
Sounds like you're reaching out for help, good luck.
Old 19-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #30
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Let's get back to real life important stuff for a moment

I went and voted in our local council elections yesterday, there were 16 people on the ticket and I said to the electoral lady person that I wanted to be inclusive today and if she could point out to me the black women on the list.

At least I got a hearty laugh.

Us oldies can take social risks because we will all be dead soon from the virus.
Closed Thread