Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #121
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Not a shot at you, but this is what I meant about V8 Ford buyers living in the second hand market.
A lot of the fans complaining that XR8 went away would be the very same people saying that
"I'm not paying $52K for one when I can buy a good used one for about $35k"
Can you blame buyers who have been ravaged by poor resale in the past? I bought a Ghia new in 95 or so and got my **** handed to me on resale. Same with my BA XR8 - though nowhere near as severe. I'm gun shy when it comes to pulling the trigger on a new Ford (or Holden for that matter...) and my cars are 85% tax deductable!

Resale is a factor in my vehicle purchases.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #122
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
if that's you're buget then so be it, i can appreciate that, no point at looking at anything better.
Even if your budget stretched further, if a more compelling value proposition is available, you'd be mad not to at least consider it.

For the XR8 to be at all sellable, its going to have to be at least on a par with the XR6T, and in a similar price ballpark to the model it replaces.

That means a significant saving relative to the GS. Either the spec of the GS will need to improve when the XR8 comes out, or they're going to have to consider dropping it. If neither happens, the XR8 will just cannibalise existing sales.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #123
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1. Not all potential buyers of an XR8 need more power than a v8 commodore.
2. The Boss was not appealing to many buyers not just because it was slower to 100 k's or 400 metres than a Turbo XR6 it was also the way it made its power as in lethargic throttle response.
3. Many chose a Turbo six as it was easy to mod to make more power.
4. The Boss was nose heavy & so did not corner nearly as well as a XR6.
5. If the XR8 came back onto the market with a lighter & sweeter V8 at same price as the XR6 Turbo it would be much more attractive than the Boss was.
6. The XR8 & the XR6 turbo were the same price as each other before XR8 was discontinued.
7. Not all potential buyers of a XR8 would care if it was slower than a XR6 Turbo or even a SS commodore as many just like a sweet V8.
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #124
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Can you blame buyers who have been ravaged by poor resale in the past? I bought a Ghia new in 95 or so and got my **** handed to me on resale. Same with my BA XR8 - though nowhere near as severe. I'm gun shy when it comes to pulling the trigger on a new Ford (or Holden for that matter...) and my cars are 85% tax deductable!

Resale is a factor in my vehicle purchases.
Hey that's a fact of life with almost every car in Australia,
the best you can hope for is 40% residual in 48 months.

Tax deductible is not enough, Unless you car is earning you money
and paying for running costs and depreciation, you're going backwards.

IMO, XR6 should get 300 Kw Boss 6.2 from F150, XR8 needs a
big torquey knuckle dragger engine to take on the SS 6.0 Chevy.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #125
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
6. The XR8 & the XR6 turbo were the same price as each other before XR8 was discontinued.
Was that during the last of the XR8's? I know when I bought mine I paid ~$5k more than the turbo. Add the catback exhaust and I paid just under $6k solely for the noise.
Old 30-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #126
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Tax deductible is not enough, Unless you car is earning you money and paying for running costs and depreciation, you're going backwards.
Oh, absolutely. I am entitled to a company car but I'd quit my job in a week if I could only drive around in an XT - so I'm given a car allowance. I get $15k to run it and I claim all standard deductions. If I wasn't able to claim that gap between the depreciated value and the disposed price, I probably would have slashed my wrists when I sold my Ghia.

Still bear the scars though, and that was about 12 years ago.
Old 31-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #127
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Oh, absolutely. I am entitled to a company car but I'd quit my job in a week if I could only drive around in an XT - so I'm given a car allowance. I get $15k to run it and I claim all standard deductions. If I wasn't able to claim that gap between the depreciated value and the disposed price, I probably would have slashed my wrists when I sold my Ghia.

Still bear the scars though, and that was about 12 years ago.
I gave up about 10 years ago and insisted on a pool vehicle, since then i don't
have any costs whatsoever and no deduction on salary. My R6 ute is great.

Novated leases are shyte, they suck you into a fully maintained lease
on an expensive car when companies used to supply vehicles for free.
Everyone forgets about the salary sacrifice because they want that car.

I did the sums and an R6 ute pool vehicle plus the 15K extra salary is worth it....
Alternative, take a lease on a 12-18 month old low Klm G6ET, the depreciation is wicked
and you get to run the car for about 2 years and the sums add up when you sell privately....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 12:22 AM   #128
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Was that during the last of the XR8's? I know when I bought mine I paid ~$5k more than the turbo. Add the catback exhaust and I paid just under $6k solely for the noise.
FG saw both base models at the same price.
Old 31-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #129
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Novated leases are shyte, they suck you into a fully maintained lease on an expensive car when companies used to supply vehicles for free.
Everyone forgets about the salary sacrifice because they want that car.
I never lease. I would have been screwed with my last R8 when I injured my left shoulder which made it seriously painful swapping cogs in Sydney traffic - only owned it for 6 months and took a bath on it on trade. Would have been brutal if I had novated it. Been driving a BF Ghia since October and my shoulder is still sore.. :(
Old 31-01-2011, 12:41 AM   #130
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Novated leases are shyte, they suck you into a fully maintained lease on an expensive car when companies used to supply vehicles for free.
why would your employer provide you a car for personal use for free? perhaps they should buy your kids xmas pressies too, and take the family out for dinner?

where the employee is expected to use the car primarily for work use, they generally are provided. a huge chunk of novated leases are taken out on cars that see zero work use ... the real con is that the taxpayer ultimately foots the bill by way of a deduction on a non-working asset.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #131
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
I agree whole heartedly B2TF, I can see why people buy Holdens, and sales stats tell the story, if they were that rubbish as some claim why do they sell so many?
You think MacDonalds sell beacuse of its quality of food?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #132
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Hell yeah, don't you start on macca's, that's where I take the wife when we go out to eat

I have spent considerable time around Holdens and from this I can gauge that IMO that they are if not on par with Ford possibly a better build than Ford. But in all honesty they are a much of a muchness, but I think HSV's are better finished off than the FPV's. About the only thing I think Ford are way ahead in over the Holden is the Auto trans.
Old 31-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #133
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Nope, I think it sells because it is readily available and you have lots of choice.
Old 31-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #134
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Not a shot at you, but this is what I meant about V8 Ford buyers living in the second hand market.
A lot of the fans complaining that XR8 went away would be the very same people saying that
"I'm not paying $52K for one when I can buy a good used one for about $35k"

This is the problem for V8 buyers, if everyone of them buys 18 - 24 month old used versions,
the new car sales of V8 dwindles and eventually dies, then there's no more low mileage used V8s.

In the last two years, only about 1200 XR8 sedans and Utes were sold so it's already happening...
many can argue that the reason the XR8 sales fell away was becuase people were waiting for the
new V8 or the previous Barra 290 wasn't fast enough or something else, the point is sales died.
The the circular relationship between V8 buyers and Ford new car sales has been broken,
if you want a V8 sedan then the entry level is FPV GS, price is now +$60,000 on the road...

hang on i don't get your post aimed at me, i did just buy a brand new V8 not a second hand one. it just happens to be a holden as there is no xr8 option for me right now. in two years i will be looking at getting into a new ford when hopefully the series 2 is out and the xr8 is back. i was saying that in two years hopefully the ute i just bought will be worth about 30.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #135
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Nope, I think it sells because it is readily available and you have lots of choice.
Yeah that too.
Old 31-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #136
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
FG saw both base models at the same price.
It happened before FG, BF's were the same price, just can't remember if it was even earlier ie BA MkII.

It wasn't that long after I bought my second BA in 2004. I was a bit peed when Ford dropped the price of XR8 around 5k.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #137
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

It was the BF shortly after Holden released the VE. $46k from memory.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #138
jixel 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
If they up'd the power already they would be hanging the initial coyote buyers out to dry on their resale.

I'd be content with a 290kw Coyote XR8, but to be completely honest I'd just like to see it back.
WHY. Why why why.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #139
jixel 78

[QUOTE=Seduce XR6]1. Not all potential buyers of an XR8 need more power than a v8 commodore.
2. The Boss was not appealing to many buyers not just because it was slower to 100 k's or 400 metres than a Turbo XR6 it was also the way it made its power as in lethargic throttle response.
3. Many chose a Turbo six as it was easy to mod to make more power.
4. The Boss was nose heavy & so did not corner nearly as well as a XR6.
5. If the XR8 came back onto the market with a lighter & sweeter V8 at same price as the XR6 Turbo it would be much more attractive than the Boss was.
7. Not all potential buyers of a XR8 would care if it was slower than a XR6 Turbo or even a SS commodore as many just like a sweet V8.[/Q

The potential buyers of a slower, more expensive, thirstier, poorer handling car are few and far between.Ford were a long time learning that. RIP XR8. Theyve always played the slow fat big brother,since EB IMO, needing a long slow expensive massage to catch up to its little brother,puffing and sweating everywhere chasing the XR6,and later Turbo and always the SS.Ford gave it an excruciatingly long and painful death. Theyre well overrated around here.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #140
XWGT