Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #121
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Default Re: Do you prefer horsepower... or Bling?

I like to have a car that appeals to me in every facet.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #122
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Where on the street can you use 600rwhp? For how long? You open the taps and your in license busting territory in 2 seconds.... If it's a track car fine but why build it if you can't use it?

Give me max 200hp in a light car (hottish hatch) spend $$ on brakes, springs etc so you fling it up your favourite piece of road and ring it out to the redline without endangering yourself with jail time....

But, like I said, that's for an allrounder daily, track cars are different. ..
Can't say I personally agree with much of that.

A car that’s equipped with the engine capable of spitting out 600rwhp can be driven every single day, rain hail or shine. Just because it can produce the power, and the torque associated with that power, doesn’t mean it can't be a perfectly capable, perfectly competent street car. With the popularity of blowers and turbos, 600rwhp is nothing to get overly excited about now-a-days, it’s been done many times over in the street car application.

I do agree that many people have no real appreciation of how hard a 400+ rear wheel kw car can go, not that many have been in one driven at maximum attack, yet alone driven one at maximum attack. I would go as far as to say, there is less people capable of driving the 600hp car at maximum attack than those that are not. However, from my own experience, bigger output and commuting transport is not mutually exclusive! That’s not to say I endorse P plate restricted drivers all being supplied 600hp motorcars!

Get the package right, adopt the right attitude, drive with a modicum of restraint, it is perfectly viable. Cost is not a consideration in the point I am trying to make.

30000km of daily driven and track utilised driving with my own package sends (to me at least!) a pretty clear message. Good power can be applied in a street car and remain practicle in the daily driven application.

tex

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #123
ken1939

Simple...Clean...Unexpectedly Powerful. Will garner equal respect everytime.

Of Course depends on your definition of "Bling"
ken1939 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #124
Hotwire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If by bling you mean charcoal tint, tastefull set of wheels (not chrome 22" dolce rubbish) and lowered slightly, well maintained paint and perhaps mild skirting job (eg DRJ320 kit on a BA) then I'd take that coupled with my stock XR6T.

OR spend same amount of $$$ (Say $2500)? on tune/valvesprings/intake/exhaust - i'd go the bling.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #125
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Can't say I personally agree with much of that.

A car that’s equipped with the engine capable of spitting out 600rwhp can be driven every single day, rain hail or shine. Just because it can produce the power, and the torque associated with that power, doesn’t mean it can't be a perfectly capable, perfectly competent street car. With the popularity of blowers and turbos, 600rwhp is nothing to get overly excited about now-a-days, it’s been done many times over in the street car application.

I do agree that many people have no real appreciation of how hard a 400+ rear wheel kw car can go, not that many have been in one driven at maximum attack, yet alone driven one at maximum attack. I would go as far as to say, there is less people capable of driving the 600hp car at maximum attack than those that are not. However, from my own experience, bigger output and commuting transport is not mutually exclusive! That’s not to say I endorse P plate restricted drivers all being supplied 600hp motorcars!

Get the package right, adopt the right attitude, drive with a modicum of restraint, it is perfectly viable. Cost is not a consideration in the point I am trying to make.

30000km of daily driven and track utilised driving with my own package sends (to me at least!) a pretty clear message. Good power can be applied in a street car and remain practicle in the daily driven application.

tex
Tex is right. Having a car with 400rwkw+ is like walking a panther around the block, your not 100% sure you will get away unscathed.

Having bling is like walking a chiwawa round the block with a big bow around it, people look and smirk.

Bling is to look good for others, horsepower is for personal enjoyment.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #126
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Last sentence is open for discussion.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post