The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #151
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Would explain a few things.
Well, come on...spill...

On another note, if Ford could find the cash to give the FGII(?) a little bit of a cosmetic makeover that would help them get the jump on Holden with the "still the same" looking VE update. Although I suspect that particular situation is going to be short lived.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #152
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Would explain a few things.

Mmmmm.....

perhaps a towing capacity increase ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #153
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Mmmmm.....

perhaps a towing capacity increase ?
Rear floor mods.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #154
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Rear floor mods.
Control blade stays still?? Surely we wont' see a new RWD IRS till GRWD??

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #155
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Rear floor mods.
I hope to allow factory LiLPG fitment!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 01:14 AM   #156
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I think you're spot on. It's why Prado is quite popular, with good resale; it easily accepts LPG.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:23 AM   #157
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
hmmm...wery inter...esting....

So maybe LILPG and diesel too? Is it confirmed Territory Turbo gets the cut for the new model??

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 07-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #158
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Rear floor mods.

Towing capacity increase .......

There won't be LiLPG in Territory..
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #159
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Im not in the loop, but you would expect that it would be may june, as the have to have euroIV compliant cars as of July 1. its unlikely they (or any other manufacturer) would introduce a facelift/new model to not coincide with this.
Really? This is exactly what BF was. A 'Facelift' to coincide with Euro III.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #160
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Towing capacity increase .......

There won't be LiLPG in Territory..
Fair enough (ford has said no lpg territory before....like i noted maybe canabilise diesel sales anway.

BUT, then is the question, why would you go for more towing capacity? it tows what 2.4 tonne now, so unless surveys are showing people want to tow more then?? So increase it to 3tonne (anything less than that increase is not worth the investment...).

I don't get it unless the mod is very very simple/cheap and/or is part of a wider repositioning/model option RE diesel and possibly some sort of high rider kit for off road work. I suppose with diesel coming along ford thinks it can go after prado etc. owners that only use their cars for highway/gravel work but tow larger loads (e.g. caravans)....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 07-02-2010, 02:07 AM   #161
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Fair enough (ford has said no lpg territory before....like i noted maybe canabilise diesel sales anway.

BUT, then is the question, why would you go for more towing capacity? it tows what 2.4 tonne now, so unless surveys are showing people want to tow more then?? So increase it to 3tonne (anything less than that increase is not worth the investment...).

I don't get it unless the mod is very very simple/cheap and/or is part of a wider repositioning/model option RE diesel and possibly some sort of high rider kit for off road work. I suppose with diesel coming along ford thinks it can go after prado etc. owners that only use their cars for highway/gravel work but tow larger loads (e.g. caravans)....
I think it's a European design thing, vehicles less than 2.8 tonnes are restricted to around 2300 Kg towing,
that wouldn't work at all in the USA, I think they are much more lenient/practical with their light trucks.
Then again, fifth wheel trailers with turntables are much more common there, making towing much easier....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 02:10 AM   #162
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Hmm, there could be a face lift but maybe as you say, more like BA-BF rather than full sheet metal change.
Unless approved by head office on the grounds of more corporate shape, I doubt it would be allowed.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:15 AM   #163
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Hmm, there could be a face lift but maybe as you say, more like BA-BF rather than full sheet metal change.
Unless approved by head office on the grounds of more corporate shape, I doubt it would be allowed.
Styling changes associated with bumpers etc. quite likely (though not guranteed this year) in the near future. Hardly see why ford needs to change any sheet metal...the FG is alot fresher than the VE and if you look at rival cars in the segment is holding up very well styling wise for its age. This was even mentioned by a reviewer recently (escapes me where i read it).

I think sheet metal changes will happen in 2011 with I4T (next new model...whatever its called). FG2 will just be bumpers/tailights or possibly nothing at all....just running changes. I think Ford will probably do something though just to combat any VF 'styling change' Holden may have planned for later this year (which is appearing increasinly likely as a non-metal change...save maybe bonnet....).

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 07-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #164
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Styling changes associated with bumpers etc. quite likely (though not guranteed this year) in the near future. Hardly see why ford needs to change any sheet metal...the FG is alot fresher than the VE and if you look at rival cars in the segment is holding up very well styling wise for its age. This was even mentioned by a reviewer recently (escapes me where i read it).

I think sheet metal changes will happen in 2011 with I4T (next new model...whatever its called). FG2 will just be bumpers/tailights or possibly nothing at all....just running changes. I think Ford will probably do something though just to combat any VF 'styling change' Holden may have planned for later this year (which is appearing increasinly likely as a non-metal change...save maybe bonnet....).
Last I heard, GMHolden were looking at plastic guards. Could be more of their spin though. Also considering they don't seem to know how to match some colours / finishes between metal and plastic - then this might just make their problems worse.

Retrotech thread
Old 07-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #165
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Its a conundrem my dad had to deal with. His Territory could only tow 2300kg legally, and his caravan weighed around that, but filling the water tanks and packing food, clothes etc would have pushed it over that. He had to sell it and buy a Prado that can tow 2500kg.

He mentioned this to one of the PD engineers we spotted up in the high country testing TD Territorys, and said he would have bought a TD Territory if it could tow 2500kg. So i'd say its not that uncommon, and many people will look to buy TD Territorys as tow vehicles. Its a smart move in my opinion, because it will then match the Prado.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #166
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its a conundrem my dad had to deal with. His Territory could only tow 2300kg legally, and his caravan weighed around that, but filling the water tanks and packing food, clothes etc would have pushed it over that. He had to sell it and buy a Prado that can tow 2500kg.

He mentioned this to one of the PD engineers we spotted up in the high country testing TD Territorys, and said he would have bought a TD Territory if it could tow 2500kg. So i'd say its not that uncommon, and many people will look to buy TD Territorys as tow vehicles. Its a smart move in my opinion, because it will then match the Prado.
If that is what the market wants, then it's great to see Ford responding! A conquest sale is great because it adds to Ford's sales, takes from the opposition and lifts market share

Retrotech thread
Old 07-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #167
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yeah I was gonna say it was probably more to do with matching its competitor's towing capacity more than anything else.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 07-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #168
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
So Mr Paxton we are in agreement then??

Also am I the only person the thinks a coyote v8 with its bags of torque (600mn from memory) would make a good engine for the territory. Would make towing 2500kg a breeze.

Last edited by Elks; 07-02-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Elks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #169
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Also am I the only person the thinks a coyote v8 with its bags of torque (600mn from memory) would make a good engine for the territory. Would make towing 2500kg a breeze.
No, I've suggested it. If only Ford would build a true X5 competitor for Australians...
Old 07-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #170
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
No, I've suggested it. If only Ford would build a true X5 competitor for Australians...
Cool, we are the lost souls Burke & Wills style.

I know fuel consumption is the issue. But that doesn't seem to stop Toyota selling a bizillion Land Cruisers, 10% of which head off road.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #171
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Would require them allowing the factory fitment of wheels greater than 18" and thicker than chitty chitty bang bangs tyres.

Those 18" rims were, in my mind, one of the major reasons why the F6X wasn't received that well.

Lukeyson
Old 07-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #172
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Towing capacity increase would be fantastic. At the moment a Territory has the same rating as my AU2 Fairmont.

Found out today that the 90s Cadillac Fleetwood sedan had a 3.2 tonne towing capacity with the optional 'trailering' package. It probably weighed as much as a Landcruiser though.

I think the Territory having a 2.6tonne rating would be good to advertise as a bigger tow rating than a prado.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #173
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Guys remember that the vehicles you are comparing the Territory to (in terms of towing capacity) are all body on frame construction, whilst the Territory is unibody. Unitary body construction places a pretty big restriction on its maximum towing capacity.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #174
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Guys remember that the vehicles you are comparing the Territory to (in terms of towing capacity) are all body on frame construction, whilst the Territory is unibody. Unitary body construction places a pretty big restriction on its maximum towing capacity.
Valid point. Given most of its soft road competitors (unitary) do not have greater towing capability (if not less) then i couldn't really see the point. Given ford no longer has explorer (which has gone unitary anyway for the newmodel) they are trying to use the diesel territory esp as a way to widen its appeal and open up new ground that they don't currently compete in.

Given the new explorer would want to keep some of its capabilities despite being unitary (e.g. towing capacity) maybe Ford Aus has had a peak at the rear end design of the new Explorer and sussed out some improvements to Territory RE strengthening etc.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 08-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #175
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Land Rover is unibody, and can tow 3.5tonne. No reason FORD cann't engineer Tezza to tow 2.6tonne.
In 2003 the Range Rover saw its latest design change. Much of this new design came not in its appearance but in what is found underneath the hood. The new Land rover uses a unibody construction, which was engineered by BMW when it had owned Land Rover in the latter part of the twentieth century. The vehicle also boasts a fully independent suspension. These modifications made to the vehicle have enhanced its performance when driving on pavements, giving a more comfortable ride and controlled handling. There is no loss in the vehicles all terrain ability due to the new engineering changes. The latest range Rover comes as a four door, five-seater SUV.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #176
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

VW Toureg has a 3.0 tonne tow capacity, and Im pretty sure thats also a unibody.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #177
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

And another thing.

A redesign of the tailgate would be good,

Option 1 - Fix the top section so that it, sounds like it closes properly. Ours always sounds flimsy and awful. To be fair it never leaked water or dust, even in the outback.

Option 2 redesign the lower tailgate to a drop down (think X5, Rangie or XB style) rather than lift up current arrangement

Just a thought.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #178
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
And another thing.

A redesign of the tailgate would be good,

Option 1 - Fix the top section so that it, sounds like it closes properly. Ours always sounds flimsy and awful. To be fair it never leaked water or dust, even in the outback.

Option 2 redesign the lower tailgate to a drop down (think X5, Rangie or XB style) rather than lift up current arrangement

Just a thought.
I like the tailgate design to be honest - agreed it does sound flimsy but then again so do a lot of other tailgates
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #179
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Land Rover is unibody, and can tow 3.5tonne. No reason FORD cann't engineer Tezza to tow 2.6tonne.
Not true, Land Rover Discovery is an Integrated Body Frame - not unitary construction.

Here's the difference:
Quote:
In the IBF the body, the engine bay and passenger compartment is built as a monocoque,
which is mated to a basic ladder-chassis holding the gearbox and suspension. It claimed to
combine the virtues of both systems, but does make the Discovery 3 uncommonly heavy
for its size stunting on-road performance and off-road agility, especially in soft ground such as sand.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #180
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

And I would imagine the Touareg and Land Rover (does he mean Range Rover) weigh a buttload more than the Territory and have a driveline and reinforced components to match, not passenger car drivelines and componentry.