Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Default Damn Cyclists

Whilst driving, I continually encounter cyclists on our roads. They refuse to yield to traffic and constantly swerve to the left or right which makes passing them a nerve wracking experience, especially when there is oncoming traffic. The activities of these people endanger their own lives, the lives of their children who ride with them on the road, and the lives of the drivers and passengers of cars forced to drive onto the wrong side of the road to avoid collisions.

In addition to this, most of them ride after dark, in the middle of the lane, with no lights or reflectors visible on the rear of the bicycle or rider.

I fail to see why as vehicle owners and drivers we are forced to pay for registration (which includes inexplicable charges like “Surcharge” and “Traffic Improvement Fee”) to enable us to legally operate our vehicles on the road, whilst cyclists are allowed to obstruct traffic and endanger their own lives and the lives of others and it is considered normal.

If I were to drive an unregistered car on the road at night, with no lights on and at less than 10 km/h, the policeman who discovered me would have a field day, and rightly so. Why should somebody on a vehicle less safe than a car have relaxed rules?

Cyclists are supposed to have the same rights and responsibilities as the operator of a motor vehicle, and yet do not need to pay registration and are free to inhibit the flow of traffic and increase the risk of collisions as they see fit.

Just needed to get that out. If you are a cyclist and you follow common sense and not the rules, I applaud you. You may disregard the above rant.

If however, you are one of the 99% of lycra-clad mobile chicanes that cause the above mentioned problems, you know who you are, don't argue with me, and get off our roads. Don't get offended, I don't care. Go away.

If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.