Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #151
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: NSW Cyclists Fined $1.33m in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
I agree that bang for buck running gives better/quicker results.. But running also sucks balls.

Least cycling you get a sense of speed, you can cover decent amounts of ground (which also is an achievement in itself) etc.

I went from 100kg to 69kg within a year from no other changes than just beginning to ride. So I wouldn't say it doesn't work.
Not just that, cycling is low impact which is gold for those who have bad knees and joints from the waist down. I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis and running is out of the question for me. I do/can walk and endure some jogging, and hiking. But I still get some (not a lot) joint pain in the knees/ankles from that. Cycling is my way to push myself and not feel that kind of pain other than the good kind in terms of pushing yourself fitness wise.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #152
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Not just that, cycling is low impact which is gold for those who have bad knees and joints from the waist down. I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis and running is out of the question for me. I do/can walk and endure some jogging, and hiking. But I still get some (not a lot) joint pain in the knees/ankles from that. Cycling is my way to push myself and not feel that kind of pain other than the good kind in terms of pushing yourself fitness wise.
Na, BS you're just a poser
Old 29-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #153
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
- trakkies tucked into his socks to avoid them getting mauled in the chain. Dunno what's a worse look....

Definitely function over form!
I have been guilty of this on occasion, I am there for a purpose not for looks

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #154
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Yep, the same setup has always worked just fine for me. I've literally always trained barefoot wearing a singlet and boxer briefs... yes, it's probably a good thing I have a home gym.
I also train at home, I guess in a commercial gym you would not be allowed to train bare foot. some sort of foot wear would probably be mandatory.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #155
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Na, BS you're just a poser
ok you got me....hahaha

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #156
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Hahaha i dunno mate, try smashing down a gravity or DH track hammers the old knees
Old 29-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #157
Dave1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
I will never agree with cycling 5 x a week @ 20mins being more effective at weight loss than hard walking same frequency. A person needs to cycle 5 x the distance of that of a runner to get the same benefit. Period. The two use different muscle groups & have different oxygen uses. If you choose to cycle to work, there are as many pros & cons as public trans or driving. That's it from me. Greener pastures and all that.
Thanks for the tip good to hear from a pro. was also told swimming is real good
Dave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 12:15 AM   #158
Dave1966

Geez the girl just showed me this
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/b...e-201209145290
Is it true

Last edited by Dave1966; 30-11-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Dave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 08:15 AM   #159
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I also train at home, I guess in a commercial gym you would not be allowed to train bare foot. some sort of foot wear would probably be mandatory.
Yeah probably, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let me bring in my 1000W PA system and play Metallica there either.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #160
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I went from 100kg to 69kg within a year from no other changes than just beginning to ride. So I wouldn't say it doesn't work.
So no changes to diet at all in that year? No changes in less takeaway, less alcohol, less processed food, reduced food intake in general?

I would never deter someone from doing exercise as it usually always beneficial in moderation, but generally it doesn't seem to provide significant weight loss .. despite the old adage of "burn more calories than you intake".

It can be fun, feel very rewarding, good social interaction, and most importantly physical fitness ... but without changes to diet it's usually not a silver bullet for weight loss.

I see a lot of tubby MAMILs on bikes .. and while I'm a very thin build (from diet not exercise) I don't kid myself that I'm likely anywhere as fit as a lot of them.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #161
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Hahaha i dunno mate, try smashing down a gravity or DH track hammers the old knees
Suspension is your friend... ;)

When you bottom out though........
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #162
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
So no changes to diet at all in that year? No changes in less takeaway, less alcohol, less processed food, reduced food intake in general?

I would never deter someone from doing exercise as it usually always beneficial in moderation, but generally it doesn't seem to provide significant weight loss .. despite the old adage of "burn more calories than you intake".

It can be fun, feel very rewarding, good social interaction, and most importantly physical fitness ... but without changes to diet it's usually not a silver bullet for weight loss.

I see a lot of tubby MAMILs on bikes .. and while I'm a very thin build (from diet not exercise) I don't kid myself that I'm likely anywhere as fit as a lot of them.

In that year, absolutely NO changes to diet. And it was a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad diet back then, but I also had a period of a few years where I didn't exercise at all, so I would say that's why.

Now, I agree 100000% that it isn't a silver bullet, as my weight has yo yo'd ever since, and so has my cycling motivation.

However, I found myself back around the mid 80's even though I was doing a fair amount of riding (150k+ a week).

Didn't seem to matter if I did a big week or little week, I was gradually putting on weight.

Since September, I've really knuckled down on my diet (to a point) and I've dropped down to 71kg, and that is during a period were I've done very little riding.

So you're absolutely correct that it isn't a magic way out, but if it is something that gets you on the right path then awesome!

I dare say the tubby MAMIL thing is the same as anything, where people do 1 or 2hrs of exercise then go, awesome I can reward myself with eleventy beers, massive bbq then wash it down with some sweets.
Old 30-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #163
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty much the opposite to most people here .. I'm too busy (code for "lazy") to exercise so I've implemented a modified version of the 5/2 diet .. basically just evolved to "try to not over eat and consume too much sugar" .. I've dropped 25% of my original starting weight and maintained it within a few kg for four years.

Not really much to do with cycling .. but the more cyclists I can get off the road by convincing them to diet instead .. the easier my drive into work on narrow, winding country roads ;)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #164
prydey
Rob

Quote:
However, I found myself back around the mid 80's even though I was doing a fair amount of riding (150k+ a week).

Didn't seem to matter if I did a big week or little week, I was gradually putting on weight.
i started riding late 2012 and went from 102kg back to 90kg in about 3 months. like you, i went from no exercise to quite a bit of riding, so initial weight loss was quite dramatic. since then, my weight has barely changed. still around 90-94. i'm 6'2 so i'm never going to be a light weight.

the point is, i'm still losing size. not dramatic, but gradual. so even though my weight is not going anywhere, i'm still losing fat, but also developing muscle, so it kind of cancels out.

my diet is pretty good. my eldest daughter is type 1 diabetic, so we all live by her diet needs.

the trick to losing weight is to find something that you will be motivated to do. if someone told me that the only way to lose weight was through walking or running, i would be 120kg by now.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #165
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I will never agree with cycling 5 x a week @ 20mins being more effective at weight loss than hard walking same frequency. A person needs to cycle 5 x the distance of that of a runner to get the same benefit. Period. The two use different muscle groups & have different oxygen uses. If you choose to cycle to work, there are as many pros & cons as public trans or driving. That's it from me. Greener pastures and all that.
It is very far from being that simple . Running vs cycling energy usage is not 5 to 1 , it varies depending on intensity .Distance is irrelevant as naturally you will cover much longer distance on the bike than walking. Time spent at intensity level is a better measure than distance in this case.
Runners just can’t put in the same volume of exercise as cyclists without experiencing more inflammation, soreness and muscle damage. This is due to high impact vs low impact exercise type.
Cycling can be as hard as you want it to be - intensity is the key .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #166
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
I'm pretty much the opposite to most people here .. I'm too busy (code for "lazy") to exercise so I've implemented a modified version of the 5/2 diet .. basically just evolved to "try to not over eat and consume too much sugar" .. I've dropped 25% of my original starting weight and maintained it within a few kg for four years.

Not really much to do with cycling .. but the more cyclists I can get off the road by convincing them to diet instead .. the easier my drive into work on narrow, winding country roads ;)
haha, I can imagine you going to a Doctor for a check up.

DR: Well done sir, you've lost weight!
You: Yeah I do it to get rid of bikes... long story, let me show you a thread on my phone
Old 30-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #167
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I think it's horses for courses really. I used to run instead of cycling but I was just getting too much joint pain in knees and discomfort in my feet. Running is probably never going to be suitable to me as my primary cardio exercise simply because of my large frame (6'2" @ 85kg, 15% bf) and I'm sure there are plenty of people in the same boat. I don't see why anyone would snob out one choice of exercise over the other, that is just hilarious.

Cycling is great for burning calories. It's also a great source of entertainment. If we're going to blindly hate things, let's choose something that hasn't been done to death.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #168
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If we're going to blindly hate things, let's choose something that hasn't been done to death.
I hate your ability to be logical.

Boo logic
Old 30-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #169
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I think it's horses for courses really. I used to run instead of cycling but I was just getting too much joint pain in knees and discomfort in my feet. Running is probably never going to be suitable to me as my primary cardio exercise simply because of my large frame (6'2" @ 85kg, 15% bf) and I'm sure there are plenty of people in the same boat. I don't see why anyone would snob out one choice of exercise over the other, that is just hilarious.

Cycling is great for burning calories. It's also a great source of entertainment. If we're going to blindly hate things, let's choose something that hasn't been done to death.
Logic has no place in this thread. Ban him now!

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #170
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Running is crap and for those of us of bigger build that even wearing size 28 pants at 82kg, running is still too bad on the joints. I have too many injuries these days anyways that I will never be able to run again, not that I would want to run anyway as I always thought it sucked.
Old 30-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #171
stig_3754

Running helped me lose 25kgs (currently 6'3" and 90kg) and keep it off for the last 5 years, no joint issues to speak of here. It might be crap for you but don't assume it's crap for everyone else.
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #172
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Sorry guys :(

I'll try to be more emotional in my next response.
Old 30-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #173
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Running is crap and for those of us of bigger build that even wearing size 28 pants at 82kg, running is still too bad on the joints.
If you have crap running form, yes. Running properly negates most of the criticisms.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #174
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Let's all just make assumptions about how other people exercise and the form they use when exercising even though we have no experience to base those assumptions on.

I don't predict any issues at all.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #175
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't see why anyone would snob out one choice of exercise over the other, that is just hilarious.
Runners would cop more criticism if they chose to run in packs in the middle of the road.
Old 30-11-2016, 02:02 PM   #176
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Runners would cop more criticism if they chose to run in packs in the middle of the road.
I can't speak for anyone else here but personally I choose to ride along a designated bike path 90% of the time.

Try harder next time.
Old 30-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #177
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Let's all just make assumptions about how other people exercise and the form they use when exercising even though we have no experience to base those assumptions on.
Does several seasons of competitive athletics not count? We run in spikes, no cushioning. No issues if you do it correctly.
Old 30-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #178
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Does several seasons of competitive athletics not count? We run in spikes, no cushioning. No issues if you do it correctly.
No it doesn't count unless you saw all of the people in this thread exercising during your time in competitive athletics.
Old 30-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #179
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else here but personally I choose to ride along a designated bike path 90% of the time.
I'm not saying all cyclists do it, but there's certainly enough that do on inappropriate roads at inappropriate times to warrant criticism. You might recall the numpty that overtook a group of cyclists in Sydney, then abruptly stopped in front of them and took most of them out. He certainly wasnt in the right, but when people brought up the obvious question of why a large group was training on a major arterial road at peak hour, the typical response was that they were 'entitled' to ride whenever and wherever they liked.... speaks for itself really.
Old 30-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #180
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

This is the first I have heard of that story but it doesn't surprise me at all given the amount of animosity I've experienced in the relatively small amount of time I've spent riding on the road. I don't want to paint all automobile drivers with the same brush though...
2 users like this post: