Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #151
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90_S
a volunteer said on another forums the Wivenhoe dame is cracking? I hope its note true
Prayers go out to everyone quite sad!!
No, I doubt this very much. Even if there was hairline cracks, there would be BIG news on this.

If it was, then how would the Hoover Dam be in America? That is over 100m high, built in the 1920's. The Biggest dam in the world (China) has cracks in it for years, & is holding OK.

Nope, I dissmiss this as gossip. Same as the Stadium on fire. That was confirmed that a Transformer blew, or caught fire. But NOT the whole stadium.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #152
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I can't promise it's false but it certainly lacks credulity.

The dam would be designed and constructed so that wouldn't happen in these scenarios....it's not like a kerb that's designed to accomodate a 1 in 5 rain event.
Is running at 200% of capacity a scenario they envisaged?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #153
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

I certainly know there are people more affected than myself, I decided not to go to work yesterday morning from the storm lashing my place. You couldnt drive in it. & It turns out that I wouldnt have made it anyway. I have to say I went through a difficult time yesterday, my ex girlfriend who is 6 months pregnant with our child, was so scared, we are still very close, & I couldnt get into ipswich to get to her to help her get out. She was sent home from work at 930 to see what she can do. I couldnt get there because the Warrego was closed, & every other road I would usually take to detour around to ipswich are well known flood plains.....

But with her KIA rio, she could barely get anything out. I just told her to get 5 days worth of clothing, her work uniforms, pillows, all the little valuable stuff, & photos & crap, & pack that in the car & be ready to move if the word came through. Her mums 04 Fairmont is still parked in the drive way, & she had no way to get that out too. She left to go to her cousins which is on high ground in ipswich early last night. Shannon (which is her name) got to her cousins early last night.

Her mum & dad are stuck up in Rocky, (where their main house is, which is on massively high ground) her dad is in hospital after suffering two heart attacks over the christmas break. Then on monday at Gratham, just outside of Gatton, was completely washed away, her dads caravan where he stays when he is working, which was on his bosses depot, & the five trucks on site including her dads has been washed away.

Shannon came back to her street this morning, to find her rented house up to its roof in water. So obviously, all her furnishings, TV, fridges, her mums car, & all the stuff she had been collected, been given, & bought for the baby, which is due on april 16 is gone. & The flood waters havent even peaked yet.

I know ipswich very, very well, & even the places you wouldnt expect to flood, are.... This is phenominal. And I have to say, you may feel sorry for people, as I did a few weeks ago, but you really dont know the feeling, until you or your family experience it for yourselves.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #154
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Of course, something like that would be designed for worst case. Why design something to have a 200% peak capacity if related infrastructure isn't up to the task...My bets are the wall, etc would be designed and constructed to hold more the greater forces than that of 200% capacity.

I'm a civil designer and now doing structural design.

You don't design a kerb to accomodate a very minor common storm, you design it for the worst case, then have measures in place (kerb inlets, UG pipes) to cater for greater storm events...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #155
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Yes - thats why they built it that big. The spillway and secondary emergency spillway keep it within design limits

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #156
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Yes actually. That was obvouisly double what is considered the 100% level. It was the backup plan. But beyond that, it is lineball in the senarios.

The biggest idea to fathom (or is unfathomed) is the fact that, Wivenhoe is at 200%, & even with it there, the peak is considred above the 74 levels, & closing in on the big flood in the 1800's.

But the question to be asked is, what happens if Wivehoe WASNT there????

I think that it would have far surpassed the 1800's flood. FAR surpassed it.

EDIT: Just read on the net that WH can go to 225% and at 100% it holds more than twice as much as Sydney harbor. So at the moment, 200% would easily be almost 5 times Sydney Harbor, not to mention 225.....
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

Last edited by Revolver; 12-01-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #157
max
LWBforME

I have just read that raw sewage is spilling into the Brisbane River due to a treatment works breaking up. This will be an added complication. Sheesh, this is terrible. We are very sympathetic to QLD folk affected by these events.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #158
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Watching the southbank precinct flooding live on channel 7. Incredible pictures. All the best to our queensland brothers.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #159
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
I certainly know there are people more affected than myself, I decided not to go to work yesterday morning from the storm lashing my place. You couldnt drive in it. & It turns out that I wouldnt have made it anyway. I have to say I went through a difficult time yesterday, my ex girlfriend who is 6 months pregnant with our child, was so scared, we are still very close, & I couldnt get into ipswich to get to her to help her get out. She was sent home from work at 930 to see what she can do. I couldnt get there because the Warrego was closed, & every other road I would usually take to detour around to ipswich are well known flood plains.....

But with her KIA rio, she could barely get anything out. I just told her to get 5 days worth of clothing, her work uniforms, pillows, all the little valuable stuff, & photos & crap, & pack that in the car & be ready to move if the word came through. Her mums 04 Fairmont is still parked in the drive way, & she had no way to get that out too. She left to go to her cousins which is on high ground in ipswich early last night. Shannon (which is her name) got to her cousins early last night.

Her mum & dad are stuck up in Rocky, (where their main house is, which is on massively high ground) her dad is in hospital after suffering two heart attacks over the christmas break. Then on monday at Gratham, just outside of Gatton, was completely washed away, her dads caravan where he stays when he is working, which was on his bosses depot, & the five trucks on site including her dads has been washed away.

Shannon came back to her street this morning, to find her rented house up to its roof in water. So obviously, all her furnishings, TV, fridges, her mums car, & all the stuff she had been collected, been given, & bought for the baby, which is due on april 16 is gone. & The flood waters havent even peaked yet.

I know ipswich very, very well, & even the places you wouldnt expect to flood, are.... This is phenominal. And I have to say, you may feel sorry for people, as I did a few weeks ago, but you really dont know the feeling, until you or your family experience it for yourselves.
I will check with my wife as to what baby things we still have. Any thing we have left, that you and your ex could use, you are more than welcome to.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #160
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

**** these floods are crazy, insane, watching southbank go under is nuts, i got a few mates who live in brissy who have resorted to blow up pools and their boats, crazy ****
Old 12-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #161
Corzza

Brisbane city is almost all under water.

I can not believe what I am seeing

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #162
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:

I'm really sorry to hear that, it's been heartbreaking to hear the news and even to see what's happening just down the road from our house. It's certainly a sad state of affairs. I'm glad Shannon got out okay - the important thing is she got out, clothes and personal belongings can be replaced - lives cannot. No-one wants to lose these things, but it's a lot easier to rebuild your home than the alternative...

I hope all those that are in affected areas are coping okay, if there's anything Steve or I can do to help, please feel free to send us a PM and we'll help out where we can.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #163
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
Watching the southbank precinct flooding live on channel 7. Incredible pictures. All the best to our queensland brothers.
My support goes out to all those affected. I hope it all works out OK.

I noticed the Sate Library is on Southbank. Only a politician would ecide to keep irreplacable paper items on a flood plain.

Good luck all.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #164
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
a volunteer said on another forums the Wivenhoe dame is cracking? I hope its note true

Jeez i hope not!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #165
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

If anyone knows the ipswich/goodna area, you will know the moggil ferry.

I just heardon the River 949 radio station, the hourly traffic report. That they are considering sinking it/blowing it up.

No joke or exageration.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #166
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:

I just heardon the River 949 radio station, the hourly traffic report. That they are considering sinking it/blowing it up.

No joke or exageration.
That is correct, it broke one of it's lines, and has the potential to damage other things if it's let go...same with the Island party boat...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1225986372966

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #167
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:

No joke or exageration.
Only cause if it breaks up on the float in to Brisbane they don't want loads of debris everywhere. I read a little while ago it broke away from its moorings and that's the action the authorities wanna take.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #168
FDCXR6
Lurker

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...to-flee-floods

bit strange.

also just heard an Ipswich Radio station was playing the Tide is high by blondie just before

2003 Ford BA XR6 N/A Citric Acid - Completely Stock

Previous Cars

1998 Volkswagen Passat 1.8lt Turbo Black
2003 Ford BA Fairmont Ghia Ice Mint Green
1990 Holden VN Commodore (have since seen the light)
FDCXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #169
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Jeez i hope not!
No a problem. I know this little Dutch kid. He said he knows how to fix leaks in Dams (or Dykes as they call them)
Old 12-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #170
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just couldn't believe what I saw on TV before of the Suncorp Stadium underwater. Not just that, I'm completely shocked over the destruction of all the pontoons and the Moggil ferry and that floating hotel thing could be sunk. Looks like our landmarks are under threat.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #171
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDCXR6
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...to-flee-floods

bit strange.

also just heard an Ipswich Radio station was playing the Tide is high by blondie just before
What waste of media time that is.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #172
FDCXR6
Lurker

Wouldn't be the first time they would waste time

Previous Cars

Old 12-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #173
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone is interested, 2 iPhone apps available free for download from app store. I assume similar android apps, but i'm not sure.

Queensland Floods 2011
Water Storage

These apps have a wide range of info such as road closures, important numbers and current storage capacity.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #174
FDCXR6
Lurker

Queensland Police Service The Riverside Expressway in Brisbane CBD is now closed. Please avoid driving through Brisbane. #thebigwet #qldfloods

Previous Cars

Old 12-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #175
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No joke or exageration.
They are going to sink it from latest report.The Island has been sitting there all day with it's motor running to stop it from breaking free as well.Army has been looking at blowing it up.
It is unbelievable the amount of rubber neckers around the Bulimba/Balmoral area.Traffic is a mess,using police resources to direct sight seeing car loads is a waste of resources.After helping out heaps of our friends around our area I was flat out getting back with sand bags .Sad that people choose to disrupt others who are trying to save the home they live in by sight seeing.12 hours and we will know how effective peoples efforts have been.I'm high enough not to have to worry but with the river set to rise another metre on where it is now there is going to be some devastating damage around this area.Please,to all those in Brisbane, if you don't live near the river stay away as it is causing heaps of problems with traffic.

Last edited by Mercury 8; 12-01-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #176
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8
They are going to sink it from latest report.The Island has been sitting there all day with it's motor running to stop it from breaking free as well.Army has been looking at blowing it up.
It is unbelievable the amount of rubber neckers around the Bulimba/Balmoral area.Traffic is a mess,using police resources to direct sight seeing car loads is a waste of resources.After helping out heaps of our friends around our area I was flat out getting back with sand bags .Sad that people choose to disrupt others who are trying to save the home they live in by sight seeing.12 hours and we will know how effective peoples efforts have been.I'm high enough not to have to worry but with the river set to rise another metre on where it is now there is going to be some devastating damage around this area.Please,to all those in Brisbane, if you don't live near the river stay away as it is causing heaps of problems with traffic.
Well said mate. Being a voyeur in watching others fight for their lives and property is just heartless as well as a nuisance especially if you don't need to be out there. I think if people want to come down and look, they should get their hands dirty and help out and not just stare like a bunch of stunned mullets. Know what its like rather than amusing themselves watching others struggle.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #177
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I have updated my photo thread with some more shots at around high tide today

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...80#post3523380

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #178
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
I have already posted here but just want to keep the offer out there. I am on the Northside of Brisbane ..Chermside, If any AFF members need a dry roof for a few days I can help. We have 3 cats (Indoor Cats) and we are open to fostering other cats or small dogs if required. We can probably accomodate a small family of 3-4

PM me if you need help
Mods, Not trying to hog the thread, I just want to keep this towards the top of the thread so its not missed. I figure it may be an exception in this case,
to make sure this offer is left open to those that may need it.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #179
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:

PM me if you need anything. We have baby stuff we no longer need.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #180
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

7News reported that people had again been rescued because they decided to go for a swim in a swollen river..... the retard factor never ceases to amaze me.

Later on the Mayor of Brisbane was telling people NOT to swim in the river due to the fact that several sweage plants and pumping stations had gone underwater...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post