Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #151
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
go drive a Focus XR5 before saying they are unpredictable thanks.
friend has a JCW mini and he says its predictable torque steers one way and pulls the other way under breaks EVERY TIME sounds predictable to me?
I agree, we have a Mini Cooper S with JCW engine tuning kit and find the same thing. Yes it has torque steer but it is predictable, it will pull to the right so you quickly learn to weight the wheel to the left a bit when you plant the throttle (especially when over boost comes in). We also get a gentle pull to the left under heavy brakes so you learn to weight the right side of the wheel. Very predictable and very easy to control, kind of adds to the driver involvement.

A good friend of mine has a VW Golf GTI with a APR tuning kit (heaps more grunt than the mini) but it has less torque steer than our Mini, he actually says he prefers playing in our Mini because it is more involving to drive.
Old 19-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #152
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Lift off understeer, power understeer, lift off oversteer, pulling left/right under wheelspin, need I go on?

At least with a RWD its easier to guess what its going to do next.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #153
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I agree, we have a Mini Cooper S with JCW engine tuning kit and find the same thing. Yes it has torque steer but it is predictable, it will pull to the right so you quickly learn to weight the wheel to the left a bit when you plant the throttle (especially when over boost comes in). We also get a gentle pull to the left under heavy brakes so you learn to weight the right side of the wheel. Very predictable and very easy to control, kind of adds to the driver involvement.

A good friend of mine has a VW Golf GTI with a APR tuning kit (heaps more grunt than the mini) but it has less torque steer than our Mini, he actually says he prefers playing in our Mini because it is more involving to drive.
Yes, those with the RWD blinkers on can't appreciate good cars no matter what they are.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #154
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
Lift off understeer, power understeer, lift off oversteer, pulling left/right under wheelspin, need I go on?

Understeer and power oversteer are both situations that hit a RWD. Similarly lift-off oversteer occurs in RWD too, particularly in cars that have a higher weight bias to the rear, with spectacular results in rear engine cars such porsche.

A rear wheel drive car, particularly one with a LSD, when planted and breaks traction, will pull one way or the other. Normally they will slip to the side that is "down hill" according to road camber (you guess which way). At least torque steer is always the same way.

My point is both have characteristics and neither is more predictable than the other. It is about learning to drive your car according to its characteristics, not some crazy idea of which is better or what it should be doing.

As a side note, in the upper ranges of performance driving, I find our Mini Cooper S a lot more predictable and less likely to turn around and bite my head off than the Super Pursuit.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #155
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:

+1 torque steer may make it predictable but it means your at the limit of adhesion, whereas a good driver becomes better when he knows how his RWD will react.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #156
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Yes, those with the RWD blinkers on can't appreciate good cars no matter what they are.
Yep, we all know that FWD is the product of the devil and makes baby Jesus cry :
Old 19-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #157
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
+1 torque steer may make it predictable but it means your at the limit of adhesion, whereas a good driver becomes better when he knows how his RWD will react.
You need to drive a modern, high performance FWD (one that comes with decent tyres) such as the Golf GTI, Mini Cooper S etc. By torque steer we are not talking wrist snapping, lane jumping torque steer. It is now more like a gentle tug that is easily controlled. How many high performance FWD's have you driven, that are less than 5 years old?

So a RWD with tyres spinning is not at the "limit of adhesion"? A FWD driver can not learn how his car reacts, and become a better driver in the process?

Actually, a FWD that is displaying torque steer on acceleration is also showing it has adhesion, as adhesion is required at the front wheels for torque steer to occur. Once adhesion is exceeded, you get wheel spin.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #158
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
You need to drive a modern, high performance FWD (one that comes with decent tyres) such as the Golf GTI, Mini Cooper S etc. By torque steer we are not talking wrist snapping, lane jumping torque steer. It is now more like a gentle tug that is easily controlled. How many high performance FWD's have you driven, that are less than 5 years old?

So a RWD with tyres spinning is not at the "limit of adhesion"? A FWD driver can not learn how his car reacts, and become a better driver in the process?
I have an sp23 ( which I believe has the Focus chassis) and it handles pretty darn good so I know what a modern day car drives like, and yes I still prefer to drive my old Falcon ute ( mate of mine has a BMW and was quite surprised how well an old Falcon can go in the wet)as I can pump through some corners if I wanted to.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #159
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Yep, we all know that FWD is the product of the devil and makes baby Jesus cry :
AWD systems now are becoming sophisticated with varying the torque split, if the Americans
can put the Ecoboost V6 and AWD into the next Fusion/Mondeo, that will be a rocket.

Could this be the carrot being dangled in front of Ford Australia?

Falcon V8 car sales are barely 2,500/year and continue to fall.
by 2015 they might be gone and as the XR6T and G6ET show
a six cylinder turbo car would surely be the heir apparent...
Old 19-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #160
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Three points:

1) More people will lose control in a RWD experiencing oversteer than in a FWD experiencing understeer, period.

2) More people will buy small and medium FWD cars from now on. Large, rear wheel drive Australian cars will never recover to the levels of sales that they experienced in the 1980s and 1990s.

3) RWD, largely driven by marketing, will become an exclusive feature of premium brands. The Ford Falcon and the Holden Commodore will never be accepted in this prestigious league and are doomed for eventual failure, not because they are flawed, but because they are, or will never be accepted by the public as a creditable competitor to BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus. Unless your willing to pay the premium, you will be driving an AWD or a FWD within the next 2 decades.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #161
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
I have an sp23 ( which I believe has the Focus chassis) and it handles pretty darn good so I know what a modern day car drives like, and yes I still prefer to drive my old Falcon ute ( mate of mine has a BMW and was quite surprised how well an old Falcon can go in the wet)as I can pump through some corners if I wanted to.

I had a SP23 and yes they are good but I am sorry, they are not in the same class. Not sure what experience you are basing your previous comment on. By this I mean, in one post you slam FWD handling , but in your next you comment that your FWD handles "pretty darn good".
Old 19-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #162
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Three points:

1) More people will lose control in a RWD experiencing oversteer than in a FWD experiencing understeer, period.

2) More people will buy small and medium FWD cars from now on. Large, rear wheel drive Australian cars will never recover to the levels of sales that they experienced in the 1980s and 1990s.

3) RWD, largely driven by marketing, will become an exclusive feature of premium brands. The Ford Falcon and the Holden Commodore will never be accepted in this prestigious league and are doomed for eventual failure, not because they are flawed, but because they are, or will never be accepted by the public as a creditable competitor to BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus. Unless your willing to pay the premium, you will be driving an AWD or a FWD within the next 2 decades.

All that will make baby Jesus inconsolable!
Old 19-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #163
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
I had a SP23 and yes they are good but I am sorry, they are not in the same class. Not sure what experience you are basing your previous comment on. By this I mean, in one post you slam FWD handling , but in your next you comment that your FWD handles "pretty darn good".
I never said that FWDs cant handle, I just said that a good RWD will be better, I admit that if you have a good driver in a Good FWD, they would run rings around a not so experienced RWD driver, but put a good driver in a good RWD car and they will pip them at the post..
This is if all things are equal.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #164
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The battle of FWD Vs RWD for mass produced cars was won and lost years ago,
Apart from expensive exotics, Falcon, Commodore, Cadillac CTS,
and Chrysler 300 are the last bastions of old Detroit.

Enjoy them while you still can.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #165
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
I never said that FWDs cant handle, I just said that a good RWD will be better, I admit that if you have a good driver in a Good FWD, they would run rings around a not so experienced RWD driver, but put a good driver in a good RWD car and they will pip them at the post..
What a load of rubbish, tell you what. I will meet you at QR, you can drive our live axle RWD high performance ute (Super Pursuit) and I will drive the mini, I will win. Then we will swap and you will win. It is not only about FWD vs RWD, there is a lot more to it than that. To say that FWD is inferior period, is being way too simplistic about the matter.
Old 19-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #166
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
What a load of rubbish, tell you what. I will meet you at QR, you can drive our live axle RWD high performance ute (Super Pursuit) and I will drive the mini, I will win. Then we will swap and you will win. It is not only about FWD vs RWD, there is a lot more to it than that. To say that FWD is inferior period, is being way too simplistic about the matter.
Well it appears that F1 and all the great motor sports of the world have been doing it wrong for years then as FWD would have been better then, and I am not going to get into a ****ing contest with you over this, My only concern is that Ford do not go FWD as it would no longer represent production in Australia, there will be no utes to buy, it will look like little America (no offence to Americans) we will lose what is Australian to me and some, obviously there are some who don't.
Old 19-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #167
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

These test results are getting a bit dated, but interesting nevertheless

http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2...8-results-6328

While my favourite vehicle is still the Territory and my daily driver is a G6E, I love taking the wife’s Mazda 3 out for a spin. Purely for the sheer driving pleasure it gives.
Old 19-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #168
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well it appears that F1 and all the great motor sports of the world have been doing it wrong for years then as FWD would have been better then, and I am not going to get into a ****ing contest with you over this, My only concern is that Ford do not go FWD as it would no longer represent production in Australia, there will be no utes to buy, it will look like little America (no offence to Americans) we will lose what is Australian to me and some, obviously there are some who don't.
Then show your support and buy a new Falcon, unless you do that Ford don't know you exist.
If you already own a nice FG then good for you because there are too many
would be Falcon buyers sitting on the sidelines buying second hand and then
bemoaning Ford wanting to do something else...
Old 19-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #169
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
You are actually reinforcing my point, which is neither is superior or inferior, they have individual characteristics that suit different applications. Many features and characteristics on a F1 would make for a crappy road car. Anyway, enjoy your RWD ute, like we enjoy ours. I agree with jpd80, you better buy a new one or you might be hanging onto yours a lot longer.
Old 19-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #170
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All that will make baby Jesus inconsolable!
Well baby Jesus drives a prius (fwd) or a hummer (4wd). Either or, there's no RWD involved!

Old 19-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #171
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
You are actually reinforcing my point, which is neither is superior or inferior, they have individual characteristics that suit different applications. Many features and characteristics on a F1 would make for a crappy road car. Anyway, enjoy your RWD ute, like we enjoy ours. I agree with jpd80, you better buy a new one or you might be hanging onto yours a lot longer.
Well by the way you were commenting it sounds more like FWD is superior to RWD, When you go by category then, motorsport RWD is more popular, when carrying a load IE: 1 to 4.5 tonne then RWD is more popular, when carrying people IE: buses or charters then RWD is more popular, when off road work is required then 4WD seems to be popular, but when it comes to making smaller cars for the masses cheaply it appears that FWD seems to be popular, FWD is being forced onto car buyers whether they like it or not, because it is what it is a form of cheaper manufacturing, if you a happy in your FWD fine, just don't try convincing me.
Old 19-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #172
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Well by the way you were commenting it sounds more like FWD is superior to RWD, When you go by category then, motorsport RWD is more popular, when carrying a load IE: 1 to 4.5 tonne then RWD is more popular, when carrying people IE: buses or charters then RWD is more popular, when off road work is required then 4WD seems to be popular, but when it comes to making smaller cars for the masses cheaply it appears that FWD seems to be popular, FWD is being forced onto car buyers whether they like it or not, because it is what it is a form of cheaper manufacturing, if you a happy in your FWD fine, just don't try convincing me.
I am not trying to convince anyone that FWD is the best, not by a long way. I am just trying to convey a point that it has its application, and in the sense of the family hack that never gets pushed to its limits and does not tow, it does fine. Of course many here do not see that as the majority here are car enthusiasts and like to give their cars a nudge, so therefore it may not suit them. In terms of small hi performance cars, in many ways FWD is superior as it is more predictable rather than having a SWB RWD high performance car trying to end swap powering out of corners. If our Mini was RWD, the moment the rear wheels lost traction under power through a corner, it would flick around so fast you would be off the road before you realised it was happening. Hell, on heavy braking into a corner the rear can get very light. This is without mentioning weight distribution, interior space and cost on this class of car. I hope that makes sense.

Of course this is all the resulting debate out of the original gross generalisation from the start of this thread.
Old 19-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #173
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
I am not trying to convince anyone that FWD is the best, not by a long way. I am just trying to convey a point that it has its application, and in the sense of the family hack that never gets pushed to its limits and does not tow, it does fine. Of course many here do not see that as the majority here are car enthusiasts and like to give their cars a nudge, so therefore it may not suit them. In terms of small hi performance cars, in many ways FWD is superior as it is more predictable rather than having a SWB RWD high performance car trying to end swap powering out of corners. If our Mini was RWD, the moment the rear wheels lost traction under power through a corner, it would flick around so fast you would be off the road before you realised it was happening. Hell, on heavy braking into a corner the rear can get very light. This is without mentioning weight distribution, interior space and cost on this class of car. I hope that makes sense.

Of course this is all the resulting debate out of the original gross generalisation from the start of this thread.
May be you should look at driving an earlier Mazda RX7 (FD) , RX8 or perhaps mx5 as they are still standard RWD cars that when others want to get into the motorsport scene the RX7 is the 1st car of choice. I feel it is a shame that cars like the V6 Capri and some of the Cortina's and Escort's are no longer made today, I wonder sometimes what they would be like if continued on past the Eighties.
Old 20-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #174
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
May be you should look at driving an earlier Mazda RX7 (FD) , RX8 or perhaps mx5 as they are still standard RWD cars that when others want to get into the motorsport scene the RX7 is the 1st car of choice. I feel it is a shame that cars like the V6 Capri and some of the Cortina's and Escort's are no longer made today, I wonder sometimes what they would be like if continued on past the Eighties.
I think you will find most of these have a longer wheelbase than the Mini, Golf and the BMW 1 series hatch. My comment still stands, its all a question of application.
Old 20-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #175
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
I think you will find most of these have a longer wheelbase than the Mini, Golf and the BMW 1 series hatch. My comment still stands, its all a question of application.
According to Wikipedia Mini 2470mm, MX5 2330mm, FD RX7 2426mm
Old 20-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #176
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Of these, only one has the cabin restrictions of seating 4, FWD wins in small cars with cabin requirements for reasonable seating capacity.
Old 20-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #177
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I feel it is a shame that cars like the V6 Capri and some of the Cortina's and Escort's are no longer made today, I wonder sometimes what they would be like if continued on past the Eighties.
It's a pity that FoA and FNA couldn't get their heads together on a common RWD platform,
US do LHD T'Bird/Maverick/Mustang and we do RHD markets - Falcon/Cortina/Capri
Old 20-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #178
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
It's a pity that FoA and FNA couldn't get their heads together on a common RWD platform,
US do LHD T'Bird/Maverick/Mustang and we do RHD markets - Falcon/Cortina/Capri
Very true, but right now I would settle with knowing whether FOA will keep the Falcon in it's current guise or at least go Project Pegasus.
Old 20-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #179
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Of these, only one has the cabin restrictions of seating 4, FWD wins in small cars with cabin requirements for reasonable seating capacity.
My point being that RX7 and RX8 and MX5 are serious track cars if you really are interested in going to meets, and the RX8 can accommodate 4 people and uses no turbo or charger, albeit that the wheel base is slightly longer than the mini.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/3766/maz...nce-drive-day/
http://www.caradvice.com.au/3766/maz...e-drive-day/6/
Old 20-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #180
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Very true, but right now I would settle with knowing whether FOA will keep the Falcon in it's current guise or at least go Project Pegasus.
Like the rest of us, you'll just have to wait...

We still have nearly five years of E8 Falcon, something the red squad media completely overlooks....
In that time it's quite possible that Falcon and Mustang could simply evolve towards each other,
in doing that we receive all the benefits of a major platform without the engineering constraints..
Closed Thread