Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #181
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: New Focus ST Info thread.

I doubt it will be as simple as SCT either. Being very similar to the current RS.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #182
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I have sent an email Herrod SCT Australia to look into the tuning of this car

about the engine

2.0-LITER ECOBOOST GIVES FORD FOCUS ST OWNERS TURBOCHARGED, DIRECT-INJECTED THRILL RIDE

2.0-liter EcoBoost™ in Ford Focus ST will deliver up to 247 horsepower and 250 lb.-ft. of torque using high-tech tools like turbocharging and direct gasoline injection

Twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) working with turbocharging and fuel injection maximizes horsepower, torque and fuel economy at all engine speeds, helping eliminate lag and flat spots in power delivery

Focus ST powerplant marks another milestone in Ford goal to offer 90 percent of its North American lineup with EcoBoost by 2013

2.0-liter EcoBoost Engine
Login to download images.
At the heart of the appeal of the next-generation Ford Focus ST is a high-output 247-horsepower version of the efficient and advanced new 2.0-liter Ford EcoBoost four-cylinder engine.

This unique EcoBoost engine is specially tuned for the new Focus ST to ensure the car gets the world-class performance – and the inspirational sound – expected of it. It also marks the first application of the four-cylinder Ford EcoBoost engine in a high-performance model.

“EcoBoost technology has fully lived up to its billing, offering owners power and performance with uncompromised fuel economy,” said Barb Samardzich, vice president of Powertrain Engineering. “Combining EcoBoost with Ti-VCT on a high-performance small car like Focus ST demonstrates our product commitment to yet another audience that perhaps hasn’t shopped Ford in a while.”
Building on proven strategies with new solutions
Compared to the 2.0-liter Ford EcoBoost engine planned for other Ford vehicles, the Focus ST unit features redesigned intake and exhaust systems and a unique engine calibration to deliver the desired level of power and responsiveness.

The lightweight, all-aluminum engine design combines three technologies – high-pressure direct injection, low-inertia turbocharging and twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) – to create an advanced combustion system that brings new levels of performance and fuel efficiency to engines in this category.

The turbocharger increases airflow in the engine to boost power while direct injection helps enable more efficient fuel burn for better fuel economy. Just like the first-generation EcoBoost engines, the EcoBoost four-cylinder engine will spool up quickly to its maximum torque; in this case, 250 lb.-ft. across a broad rev range – estimated from 2,000 rpm to 4,500 rpm, according to preliminary Ford data.

“You get peak torque throughout the majority of the engine’s operating range,” explained Scott Makowski, Ford manager of North American four-cylinder powertrains. “It’s available when you accelerate from a stop or merge onto the Interstate, and drivers don’t have to wait for the rpm to build before they get exhilarating performance. There’s torque – and a lot of it – whenever you need it.”

Working with the direct gasoline injection system, a state-of-the-art turbocharger ensures virtually lag-free operation at all engine speeds. In service, the turbo spins at up to 195,000 rpm and is designed for a life cycle of 150,000 miles or 10 years.

Traditional turbocharger “whoosh” is mitigated by electronically controlled anti-surge valves that proactively relieve the boost in the intake, which can range up to 16 psi. Careful software calibrations manage the pressures in the intake manifold, and an air-to-air intercooler lowers air temperature before it reaches the engine, resulting in a denser, cooler intake charge.

The combustion system has been completely redesigned and re-engineered to take advantage of the EcoBoost system’s increased performance. The cam-driven high-pressure mechanical fuel pump operates at up to 2,200psi – more than 50 times the norm seen in a conventional four- cylinder engine.

As demands on the turbocharged 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine are increased, the complex electronic control system responds to maintain optimal combustion, timing and injection duration.

On each stroke, seven individual jets on each fuel injector spray fuel directly into the combustion chamber, mixing with the incoming air. By bringing the fuel injector right into the combustion chamber, there’s no delay from the time the fuel is injected to when it’s used by the engine.

Plus, because the fuel injectors spray right into the combustion chamber, the injected gasoline evaporates and cools the air that’s been inducted into the cylinder.

“Ford’s direct-injection design cools the air right where it’s going to be burned,” said Makowski. “Engine breathing and resistance to detonation, or knocking, are all improved.”

The charge cooling also allows the direct-injected turbocharged engine to run a higher compression ratio than is possible on a port fuel-injected boosted engine. The higher compression ratio equals improved fuel economy across the operating range of the engine and more horsepower per liter of displacement.

Also aiding engine breathing is Ford’s advanced Ti-VCT. This technology allows precise, variable timing control of both the intake and exhaust camshafts, which control the valve opening and closing events.

Ti-VCT technology also helps further broaden the EcoBoost torque curve. Because the Ti-VCT strategy allows the intake valve to be advanced, instant power is delivered when the customer demands it at low speeds. At high speeds, the intake cam is retarded and higher airflow is available, which results in approximately a 10 percent power improvement over non-VCT engines.

The ability to vary the overlap between the intake and exhaust valves also leads to better fuel economy – approximately a 3 to 4 percent improvement from this strategy alone compared with non-VCT engines.

Global EcoBoost strategy
Since being introduced in 2009 on four vehicles – Ford Taurus SHO (standard) and Lincoln MKS full-size sedans and Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT crossovers – EcoBoost engines have been embraced by customers.

The addition of a four-cylinder EcoBoost to Ford’s lineup is a strong answer to consumer demand for engines of this size. Approximately one-third of Ford’s U.S. engine volume is four-cylinder, as customers focus more on fuel economy and lower emissions. EcoBoost engines help deliver performance on both fronts, cutting CO2 emissions by up to 15 percent compared with larger-displacement engines with similar power.

The 2.0-liter EcoBoost is the first engine in the EcoBoost lineup to go truly global. Ford S-MAX and Galaxy, two people-moving products on sale in Europe, also were announced with a 2.0-liter EcoBoost option. In addition, the same engine will join the powertrain lineup for the Ford Falcon on sale in Australia.
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 163,000 employees and about 70 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com.

info from
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=33575

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 09-08-2012 at 09:45 AM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #183
Nichol

http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/ford-focus-2012-13163745?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=16&page=2&eapi= 2&__N=1246%201247%201252%201282%201216&num=15&silo =Stock&items=[Make:FORD,Model:FOCUS,Series:LW%20MKII]&sort=default
Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #184
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ford Focus ST MK3 arrives at Milltek's headquarters in time for Ford Fair at Silverstone this weekend, was only a matter of time.
http://www.millteksport.com/product....?articleid=109
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #185
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Will look better with 2 of these in the centre IMO. Be interesting to see what Miltek do with these.
I was thinking the same thing as I am not sure about the standard exhaust tip, or even maybe a single large oval tip
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #186
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

This new Focus ST has grabbed my attention for sure!
My local dealer (rural NSW) tells me that they have one expected, so I intend
to have a good look when it arrives.

Does everybody think the 400 ST's for 2012 will sell pretty quickly, or maybe
not so fast due to the 'manual only' option?
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #187
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

IMO they will sell pretty quick.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 10-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #188
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I know it only a pic but God it looks better then factory. As soon as I get a video I'll post it.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #189
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Nice!
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #190
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know it only a pic but God it looks better then factory. As soon as I get a video I'll post it.
Looks nice!

Same can't be said about those Kuga wheels...

The grey style pack wheels it had on before looked much better...
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #191
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Love the White, look's great and would be my pick.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #192
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed, white with that Miltek would look great. (eh DJ )
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #193
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB
Agreed, white with that Miltek would look great. (eh DJ )
My fingers are firmly in my ears

Can i have a drive of yours when you get it
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #194
ConradP

Quote:
My fingers are firmly in my ears

Can i have a drive of yours when you get it
Get your own! :P
Old 19-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #195
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Radtec have designed an intercooler for these already and Miltek have made an exhaust ive heard the vid but cant find it now but ill be honest it sounds bloody terrible.
- Antz Turboside Intake

Last edited by DJM83; 19-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 21-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #196
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I've said in the pub, your local dealers should now know what colours they have been allocated. We have sold 2 of our 4 for this year so far.
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #197
EVL BOS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey, has the actual release date been announced for it?? i know it is late october early november, just wanna know how many sleeps left till i can hopefully put a deposit on one, because the not knowing is killing me lol

Daily: UA11 BiTurbo Everest
Weekend Project 1999 AU XR8
Past rides:

Mondeo XR5 Turbo

RIP: FGX XR8 MANUAL Build Thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447239

AU Fairlane Sparkling Burgundy thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....61#post5854961

UX explorer limited

FOCUS ST,

UT Explorer limited Written OFF

BA XR8
Build Thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....1299363&page=7

AU XR6 VCT

ED GLI Classic
EVL BOS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #198
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can order one now.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #199
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Howdy Folks, been waiting for this one for a while, long time coming. Haven't had a proper ford since the XD. Lease approval is currently in progress, looking at October 16th delivery.

Happy days.
pajoda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #200
EVL BOS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajoda
Howdy Folks, been waiting for this one for a while, long time coming. Haven't had a proper ford since the XD. Lease approval is currently in progress, looking at October 16th delivery.

Happy days.
Congrats! What colour did you go with?
So is round the 16th of oct the release date? I'm waiting till released because I'm tossing up between either black or the tangerine scream and want to see the later in the flesh.

Past rides:

Mondeo XR5 Turbo

UX explorer limited

FOCUS ST,

BA XR8
Build Thread:

AU XR6 VCT

ED GLI Classic
Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #201
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, went with the white, was tossing up between that and blue, ending up going white. Some have been a bit critical of white but I like it. If I was to hazard a guess I would say 16/10 is probably the release date. I asked the leasing company for a quote, the dealer advised delivery date and I bet it was as earlier as they could deliver, they don't want it sitting there any longer than it needs too.

You might be taking a chance waiting to look at a colour, supposedly only 400 units this shipment, and they are obviously taking orders now. All the best, I hope you get the one you are after.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #202
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a constraint on Tangerine Scream, likely to be delays if the car isn't scheduled to be built already.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #203
EVL BOS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks, went with the white, was tossing up between that and blue, ending up going white. Some have been a bit critical of white but I like it. If I was to hazard a guess I would say 16/10 is probably the release date. I asked the leasing company for a quote, the dealer advised delivery date and I bet it was as earlier as they could deliver, they don't want it sitting there any longer than it needs too.

You might be taking a chance waiting to look at a colour, supposedly only 400 units this shipment, and they are obviously taking orders now. All the best, I hope you get the one you are after.
Ur welcome oh nice, white with tint and black wheels would look awesome ;)

Yeah I've already spoken to my dealer, i used to work there so it helps, they will ring as soon as their 3 arive so I can see them in the flesh, and I don't care if I have to order one, if I have too wait till the new year doesnt bother me I'm in no rush for one which helps. I just need too see the tsngerine scream in the flesh because I'm not one for bright coloured cars lol i wanted black but now in two minds lol

Past rides:

Mondeo XR5 Turbo

UX explorer limited

FOCUS ST,

BA XR8
Build Thread:

AU XR6 VCT

ED GLI Classic
Old 07-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #204
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVL BOS
Ur welcome oh nice, white with tint and black wheels would look awesome ;)

Yeah I've already spoken to my dealer, i used to work there so it helps, they will ring as soon as their 3 arive so I can see them in the flesh, and I don't care if I have to order one, if I have too wait till the new year doesnt bother me I'm in no rush for one which helps. I just need too see the tsngerine scream in the flesh because I'm not one for bright coloured cars lol i wanted black but now in two minds lol
Will think about aftermarket products later, right now i just want it. If you have time on your side that is handy. Local dealer did say a second shipment is probably about March 2013. Hope it all comes together for you. Cheers
Old 07-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #205
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Gee long time between drinks March next year, what dont they wanna sell any cars?
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 07-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #206
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Gee long time between drinks March next year, what dont they wanna sell any cars?

Yeah, might be a bit like the 86. I noticed how they are still have the ad on TV, pity you can't buy one. I guess they make a decision to manufacture at a certain rate, and we receive our alotment.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #207
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it also has to do with the rest of the world demand, I know there are still some countries that still don't have a release date.

On another note, I'm wondering what insurance is going to be like on these - obviously nobody can give you a quote yet. Hope it's not through the roof!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #208
EVL BOS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Will think about aftermarket products later, right now i just want it. If you have time on your side that is handy. Local dealer did say a second shipment is probably about March 2013. Hope it all comes together for you. Cheers
lol yeah dont blame you, theres nothing worse than waiting once you know the cars coming, but it will be worth it

yeah im fine waiting till march, if it means getting what i want, still deciding what sunroof style to get lol. cheers thanks, will keep you guys informed on what happens

Past rides:

Mondeo XR5 Turbo

UX explorer limited

FOCUS ST,

BA XR8
Build Thread:

AU XR6 VCT

ED GLI Classic
Old 08-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #209
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB
I think it also has to do with the rest of the world demand, I know there are still some countries that still don't have a release date.

On another note, I'm wondering what insurance is going to be like on these - obviously nobody can give you a quote yet. Hope it's not through the roof!
I can some sort of a guide as to insurance, it is a line item in the lease quote. Given insurance can and does vary wildly for no apparent reason I wouldnt take this as a given. For a 44 year old with one at fault claim in the last 3 years it is listed as $782 a year. I was very happy with that figure, I was expecting more. It is $8 more per annum than my current Lancer VRX.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #210
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I need to stop reading this thread. The ST is on my list come renewal time, amongst others.
- Antz Turboside Intake