Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-10-2016, 07:08 PM   #181
DR650

Default Re: Countdown to the Falcons emotional end, share your feelings here

We got an E-mail saying the wife's new G6E starts getting built on September 29th.It was hard to find one in such an outlandish colour though - White.
She still has her 02' Fairlane Sportsman and '10 Territory Ghia.
The G6E is to replace the Fiesta she bought new in 2014 with a power shift box. I'm glad that disaster is gone.
DR650 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #182
ScotchanDry
Family XR8s in Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4 View Post
I have Motor and Unique cars. Will get the Wheels issue as well, it's out thursday. I thought Motor did a pretty good job.
yep yep bagging and archiving all issues especially fgx and will save for my grandson as he will most likely inherit my sprint in about 16 years time he only 2 and a half and a motor nut.I cannot teach him fast enough and I try to change the subject but if it got no wheel there is no deal. Truly a Peter Brock in the making ....but possibly with granpas ford direction lol.
ScotchanDry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-10-2016, 12:45 AM   #183
Rsmedley1234

Well, in my few short years of having a license - I'm 23 - I have managed to get a hold of some great Falcons.
Ba XT my first car
BF XT
FG G6E Turbo
Xr6 Sprint.

I am probably the biggest car nut on this planet and have been religiously following the Ford Falcon since 2001. I own every Wheels Mag since then and could probably quote each and every article.

Being a young bloke I needed to catch up on pre-21st century Falcon's.
Of course, the GTHO will go down in history as one of the most significant. For me, well the 4L straight six is my favourite part of the Ford Falcon. How these guys kept developing this thing and eventually turned it into a smooth, refined, monster of an engine is beyond me. It will be sorely missed.
Cheers
Rsmedley1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2016, 01:01 AM   #184
SprintFg
Banned

First ever car was a xf falcon. My first ever car I drove was a EB Fairmont 5.0 Efi V8. Geez I couldn't believe I was driving a V8. It was so awesome.

I grew up loving cars, both ford and Holden. Before I had my license I used to watch older family members and friends buy the latest Fairmont, fairlane or even Calais. But the V8 was always super special. How the police used to open the taps on the V8 up the street.

I've owned both Holden and ford V8s, total of 12 V8 cars

I was also interested in the hype that come with the xr6 turbo when released. I've owned two of them too. Top cars I their own way.

Over the years, I have modded them, enjoyed good times with like minded people, enjoyed car shows, upgraded the stereos, enjoyed the battles with holdens, read all the magazine reviews, Watched Bathurst every year to support my favourite drivers.

To end all this in a few days time, it's sad.

I honestly don't think the car enthusiast brigade will survive past this generation. The next generation will see cars as a means of transport only, just swap em over when a cooler car comes onto the market.

Ford falcon goes out at an all time high, at a time when this market is in decline, but with all guns blazing with a supercharged V8 and a 6 cylinder turbo, car enthusiast dreams from a decade or two ago. They go out with all guns blazing, that is the way to go out, at the peak of their powers.

Enjoy the last of these cars, the next generation won't understand, so consider these as our last chance to enjoy too. What a way to go out.
SprintFg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #185
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANW View Post
We got an E-mail saying the wife's new G6E starts getting built on September 29th.It was hard to find one in such an outlandish colour though - White.
She still has her 02' Fairlane Sportsman and '10 Territory Ghia.
The G6E is to replace the Fiesta she bought new in 2014 with a power shift box. I'm glad that disaster is gone.
Njoy,nice vehicle!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #186
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They stopped making falcons in late 2002. There were some other cars that had the same name but from memory they were pretty crap.
Jack91 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #187
CRKA4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
But the Bathurst 1-2 was in 1977, they weren't Cobras. The Cobra raced in 1978 & didn't do quite as well.

Dr Terry
Correct.
CRKA4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #188
Godzilla73

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...4defcce8135da5

Interesting reading at the end of the article about some long serving Ford employees.
Godzilla73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2016, 10:29 PM   #189
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It all ends in 4 days.

In the meantime, my youngest is learning to drive gently around town shifting manual gears on an Aussie Ford muscle car. He's deliberate and gentle on the throttle, learning the pickup points on the clutch, negotiating the in-dash handbrake in hill starts, reversing into parking spaces, navigating roundabouts. Recently we began gravel driving outside our country town, relaxed conversation in the car as he learned to read the road. Those of his friends who are bothering with a manual (it's not many) are having quite a bit of trouble with them he informs me. He's getting there, lots of determination. He's also aware of the importance of Ford closing manufacture - and aware of the shifts in transportation as well. Within a decade the cars will drive themselves and be electric.

I wonder when he is older how he will remember these last days of Ford of Australia's manufacture?
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #190
BLACKVE

Sad when you read these articles

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/techno...d8c763876c2b99

Us police market would be bigger than all falcons built this year.

Learnt to drive in a xw falcon 3 on the tree.......Love Aussie muscle but the FGX is ugly, like my VF ls3 SS but love my VE

VE V8 and FG turbo 6 are the best Aussie cars buy far
BLACKVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #191
whiskieboy

A little something from the inside.
"Its been the best of times and the Worst of times,
its been Fun, Frantic, Ferocious, Fearsome, Frivolous but above all its been our job for 40yrs and you just can't change a thing, good or bad.
There have been Tears, Tantrums, Tiresome people, True workmates (and some losers) Times of Tough decisions, Laughter, Joy and still we managed to make an engine every 55 seconds every hour every day, sometimes 12/14 hrs a day.
I guess We came We saw and we did what was asked of us and more oohh so much more, we made machines do more that they should, we made Engines they said couldn't be done, We fixed things We also "stuffed" things up But we did it with the knowledge that it was our job and we were in this together. Everyday was another day in the ' Sausage Machine' that was Ford Manufacturing.
Well 90yrs of production has very Sadly ceased and will never ever return, it was a great journey Goodbye, Farewell and Thanks for the Memories.
whiskieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #192
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKVE View Post

Learnt to drive in a xw falcon 3 on the tree.......Love Aussie muscle but the FGX is ugly, like my VF ls3 SS but love my VE

G'day ...Great but maddening article ..Thanks for posting..Just imagine "Book him Dano" as they chase down a speeding Ferrari in the XR6 Turbo..Another frustrating thing that gets me about Americans and our cars.."Can't be a muscle or performance car..It's got four doors ".... How superficial is that ?
Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2016, 09:47 PM   #193
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskieboy View Post
A little something from the inside.
"Its been the best of times and the Worst of times,
its been Fun, Frantic, Ferocious, Fearsome, Frivolous but above all its been our job for 40yrs and you just can't change a thing, good or bad.
There have been Tears, Tantrums, Tiresome people, True workmates (and some losers) Times of Tough decisions, Laughter, Joy and still we managed to make an engine every 55 seconds every hour every day, sometimes 12/14 hrs a day.
I guess We came We saw and we did what was asked of us and more oohh so much more, we made machines do more that they should, we made Engines they said couldn't be done, We fixed things We also "stuffed" things up But we did it with the knowledge that it was our job and we were in this together. Everyday was another day in the ' Sausage Machine' that was Ford Manufacturing.
Well 90yrs of production has very Sadly ceased and will never ever return, it was a great journey Goodbye, Farewell and Thanks for the Memories.
Where did this come from. Amazing word's and very sad as well
Old 04-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #194
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

And then there was 3
Old 04-10-2016, 09:59 PM   #195
champ

Its quite emotional i think. I grew up with ford & holden. Dad drove fords, all the cousins drove fords, etc and Godforbid if u crossed to the holden side. But at the end of the day without sounding too wishy washy i think its like losing a family member. Its like a piece of us is disappearing. Its almost like your whole childhood isnust disappearing.
champ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 09:36 PM   #196
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

And than there was one. One day and than its all over. Found my mind just wandering today and thinking of all the good times with my Falcon. All sorts of random things about the car and the different models. The times when youd park somewhere quiet and drag the girlfriend into the back seat. Then times when you would flog the guts out of your car and than hear a sus noise afterwards. When it would break and youd think gez maybe i was i bit hard on the old girl. When you were doing a test drive in your next Falcon and working out how the hell your going to afford it.

No other car has ever made grown Men act the way the Falcon has. Its was Tribal, it had character, it was alive. It was like a living thing. Going to miss my mate. RIP.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #197
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:

That article was just tragic. So it was really MoFoCo Detroit who killed our Falcon, and they were persistent at it too. Seems GovCo tried, but they didn't do enough. Couldn't they have just cut the free trade with Thailand and Korea, to stop the flood of their second rate junk boxes and instead strengthen ties with USA instead?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #198
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Honestly, I feel betrayed, by both Ford and the Australian government, one I expected better of, the other I simply expected.

Ford for forcing a flood of imported crap on us, and for forcing the buying public to accept packaged, unwanted options just to get desirable options, but at a grossly inflated price.

The government, for screwing the Australian public and industry.

As the final Falcon rolls off the assembly line, it takes with it any chance Ford ever had of me ever buying a new car from Ford Australia.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:35 AM   #199
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, here's the kicker:

"The cable dated 16 December, 2009, said Ford Australia management “provided us a different perspective of its future — it sees itself very much as part of Ford’s global business and would be willing to make sacrifices for the good of the greater company”."

Ouch.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #200
ScotchanDry
Family XR8s in Grey

And here it is, a blue oval bluey
https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.9n...after-91-years
ScotchanDry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #201
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Honestly, I feel betrayed, by both Ford and the Australian government, one I expected better of, the other I simply expected.

Ford for forcing a flood of imported crap on us, and for forcing the buying public to accept packaged, unwanted options just to get desirable options, but at a grossly inflated price.

The government, for screwing the Australian public and industry.

As the final Falcon rolls off the assembly line, it takes with it any chance Ford ever had of me ever buying a new car from Ford Australia.
Every other country protects and promotes it's car manufacturing industry.

Yet Australia cut down tariffs, signed up to lop-sided "free-trade" agreements, reduced quotas; and thusly killed theirs off.
Ford17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #202
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Today is a bloody disgrace. Thanks Ford for the memories growing up and the ones to come.

chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #203
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

I have mixed emotions today. Maybe because of just getting home from night shift, but my emotions are running from peeved off, to glad, to sad, and whatever in between.
Now, the reason I am happy and glad, is that I still have my job as I work in product development at the proving grounds. The quickly turns to sad for the workers finishing up today after such an unreal job.
It mostly all boils down to angry. Angry at how it has had to come to this. It's a massive mixture of things ranging from Ford America limiting Australia's options, to cheap labour in 3rd world countries and to our own governments import rules and taxes.
It is sad and poor to see such a great Australian company slowly dwindle down.

It's going to be a long day today.

Goodluck to all involved and I'll be paying extra attention to every Aussie build Ford on the roads today.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #204
bionic2006xr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Picked up my last ever new falcon just yesterday, I have waited patiently for the last 6 months to take delivery of this car and to be honest the excitement has been shadowed by the factory close and quality issues. It's a sad day that is for sure. I guess the saying rings true "all good things must come to an end".

Cheers Ryan
bionic2006xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #205
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

I'm feeling pretty guttered, particularly today for obvious reasons.

Ford Falcons have been part of my life since I was a little tacker. The old man had various models over the years, and once I got out of my brief (2 year) rebellious Holden stage (go the mighty Gemini), it's been Fords since (both personal and business).

I hope once this day has past and things have settled down, that all Ford employees from the floor to the palace, can reflect and be immensely proud of what you all have achieved over the years. I know, for what it's worth, that I'm proud of you all.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #206
Pis-ton broke
Banned

good bye falcon and thanks for the good cars
xe sedan
xf sedan
xf ute
ea sedan (ex taxi)
el wagon
ba xr6 ute
all cars i drove and some stand out things were reliability, ease of maintenance , get parts anywhere, solid car, can take a beating.

what do i do now?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #207
hodge_williams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Today I am both happy and sad. Happy because of the products FMCoA produced over the years, cars I have loved to own and drive. The I6T motor to me was the pinnacle of our beloved Falcon, the envy of even the Yanks who have big motors at their disposal. Sad, well because of the obvious. No more Falcon, no more I6T engines, loss of jobs for Ford employees and suppliers, the list rolls on.

It is going to be interesting as to the feelings had when driving past the plants and seeing no Ford there. I just cannot fathom that...

Thank you to not only the Ford employees but also an extended thanks to the suppliers for building great Aussie icons. Good luck to all of you and your families and what the future brings.
hodge_williams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #208
Ghiaman
Kinetic FG X XR8

As i drove in to work this morning listening to travelling Wilburys End of the Line i thought how appropriate it was and i was able to reflect on all the great Falcons i have had over the last 20 years. I think that song will now forever remind me of Falcon and everything that made it great.
So proud that all 3 cars parked in my garage are designed for Australia by Australians and made by Australians.
My wife and i were talking about today and what it means last night and she asked what we would be buying next.
Who knows?
Farewell old friend you will be missed and to all the other Falcon tragics out there today I share your pain.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Ghiaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #209
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Sad day,thoughts to those finishing work today hope you all move on to better things...to Ford thanks for the memories.To those racing at Bathurst get a wriggle on this weekend,great year for a win.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #210
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I haven't really thought about this much until this last week coming into Bathurst and in my younger days feeling like an outcast cause all my friends thought Holden was and still is the be all and end all.

Been in and owned all sorts of Falcons over the years and to know that no more brand new ones are being made kinda hits home and it truly does suck cause as much as everyone says there is a car for everyone, the Falcon was for me and other makes I happen to get to ride in just don't have the same comfort, feeling or appreciation towards it. They now are simply things people use to get places, stiff to what it looks like in and out and what it drives like, as long as it goes brrrmmm and gets me where I need to go it'll do.

Needless to say when I can afford to have a car I'm going to track down what I want to have and it's not going to be anything else other than an Aussie built Ford.