Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #181
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: NSW Cyclists Fined $1.33m in 2016.

I can't run at all due to injuries, and will never be able to run again unless there is some miracle technology breakthrough in ankle replacements, as I am missing an ankle, thus best I can do is sort of hop. But like I say I never really liked running anyway :-) And if it wasn't the ankle that stopped me from running it would likely be the lack of a PCL and rooted MCLs.

Last edited by mcnews; 30-11-2016 at 03:43 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #182
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm getting the urge to take the coupe that I build drag racing. I don't want to do it on a track though, I want to do it on the road!
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #183
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
I'm getting the urge to take the coupe that I build drag racing. I don't want to do it on a track though, I want to do it on the road!
Take it the kindy and do it with the other kids of similar mental age
Old 30-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #184
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No I think I'll get a lobby group together and get the rules changed!
Old 30-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #185
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Careful, people may think you're a poser.
Old 30-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #186
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

You would think that with all the hullabaloo over drivers hating cyclists on the roads, that they were be a proper lobby by these groups towards getting the rules changed wouldn't you think? Get enough people to protest to their local MP and motion them to change the laws? Or is that too logical?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #187
adz193
EL XR6

I cannot comprehend the ignorance and hatred in this thread... honestly it has left me speechless! Why are people so bothered? If lycra really irks people that much that they feel the need to hate on someone, perhaps you should seek help... because there are seriously bigger issues in life to worry about!
Is it a superiority thing? I make myself feel better because i've bagged out the bloke whose riding his bike in lycra? Why do you even care what he wears... just keep on driving and let it be. He's happy pedalling along minding his own business, so what's your problem? I don't ask for you to stare... Keep your eyes on the road. Nor do I care that you may have rode 20k to the shops in your work shorts, I choose to wear sports specific clothing as it is most comfortable for the type of riding I do, that's it... end of story!

Seriously people stop hating on each other... there are inconsiderate cyclists out there just as much as there are inconsiderate drivers (probably a lot more drivers to be honest) Just accept it, you are no better off than the person next to you on the road, move on.
And as for the "poser" comment? I'd be less bothered if that comment was made by someone pre pubescent, but unfortunately this seems to be the norm these days, a blight on society and only makes yourself look pathetic. STOP JUDGING!!!

End rant

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
adz193 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #188
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's an interesting judgment you have made there. But seriously this thread discussing lycra clad cyclists is way off topic. That is why I made the comment about wanting to drag race my car but do it on the street not on a track.

It seems to me that it is a parallel of what the militant cyclist lobby has done in recent years. Over the last few years it has become a huge hobby/sport by large numbers of people who want to ride in large groups on the roadways which have been designed mainly for motorised traffic throughout a hundred years or so past. So now everyone has to change to accommodate them. Road systems, motorists, professional drivers and laws.

It seems that it isn't happening quick enough for them and they are becoming more militant even though many cycle ways have been built in recent years to accommodate them, large numbers of them still insist on riding on the roads during peak times in groups then complain about their lack of safety and how hard done by they are.

The govt has changed the laws to accommodate this perceived lack of safety but by being militant and bringing attention to themselves they have come under scrutiny by the authorities who have also increased fines to keep cyclists in check on the road system because many of them were just disregarding the road rules and were a law unto themselves.

And predictably the lobby is outraged that the fines are too large and cyclists are being picked on so a big response is that "we are going to arm ourselves with cameras and get drivers who annoy us prosecuted."

Little wonder that there is heated discussion about the subject.
Old 30-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #189
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Even the old P.M. wore budgie smugglers around women and little children.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 07:32 PM   #190
prydey
Rob

Show me one Cyclist in this thread that has said the fines are too high and they are being picked on. From what I read, we all agreed with the fines as it catches the small minority that give us a bad rep.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #191
Dave1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
Even the old P.M. wore budgie smugglers around women and little children.
Well yer,but he got sacked . was a bit like the Hoff turned pollie
Dave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #192
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Show me one Cyclist in this thread that has said the fines are too high and they are being picked on. From what I read, we all agreed with the fines as it catches the small minority that give us a bad rep.
Reading comprehension not your strong point hey?

My post refers to the cyclist lobby groups and the militant attitudes displayed!
Old 30-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #193
Dave1966

If I go to a mates place and the beer is crap I don't complain coz it's a freebie . anyone using roads has to pay TPPD and rego and have roadworthy$$. even sum of the old timer scoots and council lawn mowers have to. fellas on bikes using roads are gettin freebies and pay nothin so I reckon if you fellas want a voice pay up yer dues and get ripped like the rest of us. good on you for gettin away with it and no biggie but were all road users hey. Make it easy to catch dodgy riders too

Last edited by Dave1966; 30-11-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 30-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #194
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
Reading comprehension not your strong point hey?

My post refers to the cyclist lobby groups and the militant attitudes displayed!
that's right, just highlighting that your beef is not with those in this thread.
Old 30-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #195
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Wasn't the idea of registration revenue was to pay for wear and tare cause by the vehicle and which is why trucks pay more than cars?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #196
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1966 View Post
I reckon if you fellas want a voice pay up yer dues
that old chestnut.

perhaps before you bring it up next time, do a little bit of research, particularly on what happens to registration fees, and how roads and infrastructure is funded.

also, perhaps have a look at how motorists having to be registered caused a big drop in law breaking....

for the record, i would gladly wear some form of ID that was attached to my drivers licence details. i doubt it will ever happen as it would be a nightmare to introduce and an even bigger nightmare to legislate.
Old 30-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #197
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If I go to a mates place and the beer is crap I don't complain coz it's a freebie . anyone using roads has to pay TPPD and rego and have roadworthy$$. even sum of the old timer scoots and council lawn mowers have to. fellas on bikes using roads are gettin freebies and pay nothin so I reckon if you fellas want a voice pay up yer dues and get ripped like the rest of us. good on you for gettin away with it and no biggie but were all road users hey. Make it easy to catch dodgy riders too
I'd gladly pay rego if it would appease drivers like you and make you show some common consideration.

Keep in mind that in NSW at least rego for a 1.5 tonne car is what, $250 or so?

So what would that make a bike under 10kg that doesn't have a motor.. like $2 or so?

Easy! Let me know where to send my gold coin.
Old 30-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #198
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NSW Rego Fee is $64 (flat rate) regardless of the weight.
Weight tax (M/V tax) is $441 for a VE Calais V V8.
Paid it today!

So $441/1707kg = 26c/kg.

So on a pro-rata basis, a 10kg bike is pretty close to your guess of $2!

But the govt would put the $64 rego fee on top of it.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #199
prydey
Rob

its a silly argument anyway, esp when shouted out the window by some neanderthal, because even if i paid rego, i would still be there. its almost like they think if i paid rego it would make me disappear.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #200
adz193
EL XR6

Rego is a completely invalid argument... how are they possibly going to police it? How are they going to register all bikes currently in use? At what age does a rider need a bike registered? Does this mean we need to get a roadworthy certificate on bikes? The cost to implement a registration scheme alone would probably discredit the idea completely. Think about it... common sense should prevail surely. If as you say you are sick of paying rego, join the club and grab a bike, start pedalling away my friend... all power to you!

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
adz193 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 09:54 PM   #201
Dave1966

Quote:
its a silly argument anyway, esp when shouted out the window by some neanderthal, because even if i paid rego, i would still be there. its almost like they think if i paid rego it would make me disappear.
Neanderthal? who are you talking about budd?
Old 30-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #202
Dave1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Paid it today!

So $441/1707kg = 26c/kg.

Yep and I not even knocking you cycling fellas. your all saying its a small minority doing the wrong thing ,fair nuff at least they can be identified and fined like all road users if registered. just a suggestion so don't drop the bottom lip.I reckon it's like farting in the lift, you might deny it but you know it's fact hey. how bout all the couriers riding bikes in the cities doing crazy stuff,bet they wouldn't do half of it if they risk getting id and fined. bet they'd do it if all cyclist fellas agreed so you can weed out the bad uns

Last edited by Dave1966; 30-11-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 30-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #203
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

If a cyclist paid registration, would that then legally allow them to use a complete lane, or even both lanes on a 2 lane road?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #204
Dave1966

Quote:
for the record, i would gladly wear some form of ID that was attached to my drivers licence details. i doubt it will ever happen as it would be a nightmare to introduce and an even bigger nightmare to legislate.
spot on glad you agree it wud be good to do it. they police helmets so why not a form of ID .
Old 30-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #205
Dave1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
If a cyclist paid registration, would that then legally allow them to use a complete lane, or even both lanes on a 2 lane road?
probably the same as old mate on his mower or old timers scoot. I get what you mean about wear and tear and rego, but old timers scoot isn't doing much wear and tear either unless he drops too much viagra and gets all Gorky and does circle work on Doris's front lawn hey
Old 30-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #206
Dave1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz193 View Post
Rego is a completely invalid argument... how are they possibly going to police it? How are they going to register all bikes currently in use? At what age does a rider need a bike registered? Does this mean we need to get a roadworthy certificate on bikes? The cost to implement a registration scheme alone would probably discredit the idea completely. Think about it... common sense should prevail surely. If as you say you are sick of paying rego, join the club and grab a bike, start pedalling away my friend... all power to you!
Just a suggestion budd but not invalid . fellas ride about at night with no liites on and kids on mains roads is bloody dangerous . sure we all agree on that. saying it can't be done and is invalid won't help the situation . gotta start somewhere and work out a solution without tossing it out the window. if my ideas are bad that's Cool but we need something done for everyone's sake hey so what's others ideas?
Old 30-11-2016, 11:01 PM   #207
Dave1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz193 View Post
. If as you say you are sick of paying rego, join the club and grab a bike, start pedalling away my friend... all power to you!
now that is invalid budd.how bout I'm in the transport industry? should I just get a bunch of lads on 347 visas and give them all a pushie and haul containers or freight? what's you fellas hourly rate by the way

Last edited by Dave1966; 30-11-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:04 AM   #208
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Paid it today!

So $441/1707kg = 26c/kg.

happy to pay my $64. So be it. But I warn you, I will take up the WHOLE road considering I pay for it then. Be careful what you wish for, because if you believe cyclists think they are entitled now, just wait till they pay for registration and ID. Those that refuse pay rego and I.D for bikes will resort to take their cars to commute instead of travel via bike and clog up the roads even more making YOUR commute to work, longer. See where this is going?

So which government department should I send my cheque to, and what else will everyone whinge about when this is implemented?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2016, 12:41 AM   #209
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wasn't having a go at cyclists, I was merely showing the math on the estimate for the post above mine, and making the comment that the NSW govt wouldn't miss any opportunity to grab another $64.

I fail to see how your theory works for my 65km each-way commute though.
I'm lucky to see 1 cyclist a month, and that's normally a young fool with no helmet free-wheeling down the hill, on the footpath, towards the railway station in the residential area near where I live. I'm yet to see one on the M7 during peak hour in over 8 years of travelling it daily.

Rego does have some merits though.

I have sustained over $800 damage from a self-absorbed MAMIL who didn't want to unclip his feet from the pedals because he was simply too hardcore, and leant on the car beside me at the lights (I'm surprised he didn't run the red light).
Driver of said car took exception to it, as you would, but instead of using verbal means to make his point, he chose to bunny-hop the clutch, skittling the cyclist onto the front guard, bonnet, and bumper of my car. I got out to help him, and pointed to the damage, only to be told "haha, get F'd, you gotta catch me" before he took off down a footpath & across an oval, with no way of being able to catch him. So how is that fair to me?
THAT sort of behaviour would be dealt with if there were some form of ID or rego system that was clearly visible, but I'm not holding my breath for it.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2016, 01:02 AM   #210
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Neanderthal? who are you talking about budd?
Anyone who yells at me from their car window as they try to shove me off the road.