Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #181
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default Re: which car/model changed the face of performance for aussie cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
EL GT 200kw's 1997? Or doesn't that rate as a car.
I'm not talking about one off models, I'm talking everyday part of the lineup. The el gt was a limited run and from what I hear didn't make the claimed 200kw either. The el gt was also much like the ve gts e3, a bit of this n that styling. That was hardly a game changer, hardly worthy of wearing the gt badge
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 12:54 AM   #182
Saraco

Quote:
We could turn the clock back about 40 years when holden dropped a chev LT1 350 in the aussie HG Monaro
GMH, never dropped the LT1 350 into anything! That engine was exclusive to the 70 1/2 Z/28 Chevrolet Camaro, and was factory rated at 375 bhp (gross). If GMH, did fit them to HG Monaros, the XY Falcon GTHO Phase 3, might not have had it so easy.
Saraco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #183
Angeldust

things have come a long way though, where today a 500hp street car is the norm and standard, and is basically the figure most aspire to.

There is several different options on how to get there but is now easily done. Pre- LS1, I6T and Boss days, it was a different story.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #184
JG34JA

Quote:
EL GT 200kw's 1997? Or doesn't that rate as a car.

ED XR8 Sprint 192kw's (maybe more) in 1993.

Not bad for only having the V8 back for a year or so...
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #185
xr6plz
Hell yeah XR6!!!!!

I'd say the ba/bf xr6 turbo. It has paved the way of the future of the FPV's with the F6 running mid to high 12's, while being cheaper that the GT the mods you can do to them are limitless. Mind you I love the style of th XB coupe.
xr6plz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #186
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: which car/model changed the face of performance for aussie cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
I'm not talking about one off models, I'm talking everyday part of the lineup. The el gt was a limited run and from what I hear didn't make the claimed 200kw either. The el gt was also much like the ve gts e3, a bit of this n that styling. That was hardly a game changer, hardly worthy of wearing the gt badge
Oh how wrong you are, but you know more than me, one day some fool may enlighten you, I seriously doubt it.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #187
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: which car/model changed the face of performance for aussie cars?

Quote:
Let me edumacate you, exclusive brakes, exclusive front end, bigger calipers & different brake pads, custom hydratrack, exclusive drive shaft, custom auto, eec, camshaft & heads & exhaust all exclusive to the EL GT. I could go on, but your miniscule brain is in overload already. Hulk_ BA says they are not a real GT, he should know, has he ever owned a real GT?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #188
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
No where in your opening post do you state that your not talking about one off model's, you clearly say.

"Which car/model".

To me the EL GT is a model and a car, so should fit in the category, or are you going to choose to ignore it as it was a windsor that was capable of doing a 14 (something) before the LS1 come about ?.

We also should mention the Sprint's aswell.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #189
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: which car/model changed the face of performance for aussie cars?

Well said!!! I suspect Hulk / Wreck is checking Google right now.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #190
RAPID_BA
Banned

would you put your house on a el gt beating a vt2 executive ls1 over the quarter mile? El gt costs more than double the price new? are you saying the el gt is the game changer?

Basically a fairmont ghia v8 with a bit of this n that styling body kit on it. they called it a gt but the 5.6 stroker ts50 not a gt????????

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 10-08-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #191
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
would you put your house on a el gt beating a vt2 executive ls1 over the quarter mile? El gt costs more than double the price new? are you saying the el gt is the game changer?

Basically a fairmont ghia v8 with a bit of this n that styling body kit on it.
No where do you mention cost or styling, you specifically go on about "performance" and a certain vehicle capable of doing a 14.
Once again you can not listen to reason and only want to play the game to suit yourself and your own beliefs.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #192
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Quote:

Basically a fairmont ghia v8 with a bit of this n that styling body kit on it.
HULK, you seem to have a massive amount of love for LS1's, maybe you should trade your XR8 in for another...

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #193
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Hulk_ BA says they are not a real GT, he should know, has he ever owned a real GT?
have you?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #194
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy
HULK, you seem to have a massive amount of love for LS1's, maybe you should trade your XR8 in for another...
I dont love ls1s, i just think a bar room brawl errupted and the ls1 threw the first punch.

There would be no xr6t or boss without the ls1 throwing the first unprovoked punch.

If someone didnt first run the 100metres under 10 seconds, would someone have run 9.6s??
Old 10-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #195
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Hey Hulk have a little read here...
Comodore VX SS 6M, which is as you know the model after the 1'st LS1 release, with 225kw and more torque then the previous VTII,
http://autospeed.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=0397

Now a EL GT with a measly 200kw (or as you have heard no where near that) and the little poorly windsor as you say,
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...ifications.htm

check out the performance stats,
0- 100 and 1/4 mile,
Not bad for the little windsor hey and less power and torque to boot, lol.

Last edited by galaxy xr8; 10-08-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #196
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: which car/model changed the face of performance for aussie cars?

Quote:
have you?
Sadly I am on warning about my posts about you, Yes I have owned GT's. Still do, but no more comments from me, I allegedly insulted you, no matter about you insulting Ford Motor Company Cars. Gee I am glad this is a I luv LS1forum.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #197
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Sadly I am on warning about my posts about you, Yes I have owned GT's. Still do, but no more comments from me, I allegedly insulted you, no matter about you insulting Ford Motor Company Cars. Gee I am glad this is a I luv LS1forum.
The alert was merited. Let me remind you (and anyone else that deems it acceptable) that the site T&C expressly forbids insulting posts referring to another member and those doing it will be dealt with before the anarchists take over.

This is not "I luv LS1forum" but those with a view about other product are entitled to express it as long as they do so in a reasonable manner.

Frankly, I'd rather read 1 post discussing or debating the merits of the LS1 engine than 10 that are full of vitriolic and childish insults.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #198
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Although i hate to admit it, on this, Hulk and i agree, the LS1 raised the performance ceiling of Aussie built performance cars.
Many have mentioned the XRGT. Whilst it is deserving of a title, it must surely be the model which started the game.

Surely the ELGT would need to be compared to a VT GTS???
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #199
RAPID_BA
Banned

Im sorry also if i upset anybody. we are all passionate about our views which is good, certainly no intention to personally insult anybody.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #200
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Although i hate to admit it, on this, Hulk and i agree, the LS1 raised the performance ceiling of Aussie built performance cars.
Many have mentioned the XRGT. Whilst it is deserving of a title, it must surely be the model which started the game.

Surely the ELGT would need to be compared to a VT GTS???
even if the ls1 didnt raise the bar of performance its a game changer in the fact that such performance levels were previously reserved for top end models, gts or gt etc. It brought previously considered top level performance at family man price.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #201
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I like this article about the Monaro CV8, espically the bottom paragraph on "how fast", and this in particular,

And think about this. If the performance of the press car that we had is typical of the breed actually being sold, then in a straight line a Magna VRX will give a CV8 Monaro a real run for its money...

It's a good read actually.

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=1381
Old 10-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #202
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I found this little article aswell about the new VTII SS LS1 and how the Old 5L felt like it had more torque to them, but the best bit is the competition at the end of the article,
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...2439&pg=2&vf=0
The XR6 seem's like a vehicle that would deliver top level performance at family man's price......
Old 10-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #203
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I dont love ls1s, i just think a bar room brawl errupted and the ls1 threw the first punch.

There would be no xr6t or boss without the ls1 throwing the first unprovoked punch.

If someone didnt first run the 100metres under 10 seconds, would someone have run 9.6s??

I don't think it's a logical argument to say ford wouldn't have improved their engines with out the ls1. Both ford and Holden are now really dependent on what ford and gm are doing engine wise in the us. I6 is one out of the box though and would seem to be a response to the ls series engines. Would be interesting to hear what fords rational was to move to an i6. Was inspired whatever the reason.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #204
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I found this little article aswell about the new VTII SS LS1 and how the Old 5L felt like it had more torque to them, but the best bit is the competition at the end of the article,
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...2439&pg=2&vf=0
The XR6 seem's like a vehicle that would deliver top level performance at
family man's price......
Galaxy au, thankyou for doing the research but have you posted up any back to back comparos with the ls1 and another car of the same vintage? I'm pretty sure the vt2 ls1 blew the doors off the competition at the time
Old 11-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #205
bingoTE50
Steve

Maybe the question should have been , Which car/model changed the face of performance for aussie cars in their respective decades ?
Well I would have to say that the Brock Commodores really re-started the performance car interest for the average punter without him developing that niche I doubt that the manufacturers in Australia may have bothered .
He obviously took note of overseas tuning houses like, Arbath , Giulia , Cooper ,who pioneered aftermarket tuning.
So for mine , Peter Brock and the first HDT Commodore. And I deny anyone my age ( 48 ) who did not covet one..
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #206
superyob
Banned

Did not covet one. All I wanted then was an XB coupe or HG Monaro.
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #207
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Galaxy au, thankyou for doing the research but have you posted up any back to back comparos with the ls1 and another car of the same vintage? I'm pretty sure the vt2 ls1 blew the doors off the competition at the time
That's your job, how about you find some back to back comparison's.
I have found a few articles by different independent tester's that prove the LS1 in stock form is not the be all and end all that you seem to think it is.

And on a side note why are you now focusing on the same vintage of the LS1, I thought you asked which car/model ?, why does it need to be the same vintage of the LS1 ?.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #208
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
That's your job, how about you find some back to back comparison's.
I have found a few articles by different independent tester's that prove the LS1 in stock form is not the be all and end all that you seem to think it is.

And on a side note why are you now focusing on the same vintage of the LS1, I thought you asked which car/model ?, why does it need to be the same vintage of the LS1 ?.
Galaxy, i love the windsor as much as you do but lets be honest with one another. what model/car gave better than el GT or at least equal ts50 (5.6) performance for less than $35k (less than half price of el gt or ts50)..

Its not a bad offering. the base v8 was previously apoor shadow of the premium models performance

vt2 exec ls1 for under $35k at release... the vt1 hsv 220kw gts owners who just handed over $75k, they were rabbid, the lemon taste in their mouths, definately changed their face upon release

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 12-08-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #209
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Galaxy, i love the windsor as much as you do but lets be honest with one another. what model/car gave better than el GT or at least equal ts50 (5.6) performance for less than $35k (less than half price of el gt or ts50)..

Its not a bad offering. the base v8 was previously apoor shadow of the premium models performance

vt2 exec ls1 for under $35k at release... the vt1 hsv 220kw gts owners who just handed over $75k, they were rabbid, the lemon taste in their mouths, definately changed their face upon release
What? That wasn't anywhere near equal to the T3 in performance. Seriously, are you envious of T3 owners or something? I haven't been on here for months and you are still on these ignorant crusades, why can't you be more respectful and view things somewhat objectively?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #210
Angeldust

err, the LS1 was de-tuned for the vtII...

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post