Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

Default Re: THE GT335 competitor 300c SRT8 is going to be cheaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 18
I think I'm probably the odd one out here but the last thing I look for in a car is the stereo! To me it's the whole package & thats what FPV offers that really interests me.
Mind blowing performance that is very easily tuned for few dollars, six speed manual gearbox, racecar looks & a car I could drive to church on sundays.
If the Chrysler offers that than I guess I would interested in a few years, but atm my 335 GTP ticks all the boxs plus more that I look for in a high performance car!
M8 I don't buy a car on its sound system, but I do care some what?

Do people care if the cars got 8 inch rears, do people care if it has normal shocks Ect?
Paying over 70k with no full leather do people care..

Hell yes we do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534
To each his own I guess and as long as one is happy with his choice I think is all that matters.S

Spoilt for choice I reckon.

Cheers
Your 100% spot on m8...

Ps boys to be 100% honest 2012 GTE or SRT8 = GTE I just hope we have better upgrades as we should be catching up a little on the overseas rivals..

Daily drives
BA XR6T lighting strike...Boosted
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
XD ESP! XELR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To each his own I guess and as long as one is happy with his choice I think is all that matters.

Spoilt for choice I reckon.

Cheers
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

While audio wise FG II does not break any new ground, interface wise it has certainly brightened up and modernised the interior somewhat. I though ho-hum at first but in use it is proving its worth and has definitely brought things forward a little, not enough to keep up with competition, but that little change has made quite a difference to FG II when it comes to interior smarts. The integrated GPS is very good, and I think even G6E gets it standard now? But yes more is needed, but FG II has brought a little more to the table to make it not quite so far behind as FG I.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Erko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't care about stereos until I heard the one in the new SRT8. I've always just had normal stuff, FPV , Mazda Bose (nothing special) so wasn't fussed. Now I've heard a really good system I need it!
Erko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erko
I didn't care about stereos until I heard the one in the new SRT8. I've always just had normal stuff, FPV , Mazda Bose (nothing special) so wasn't fussed. Now I've heard a really good system I need it!
Worth noting that the inclusion of a really high end stereo system like the 19 speaker Harmon Kardon is no small thing. All the tech in the Chrysler got me looking at the prices of some Euro's on the weekend. First off you pay heaps more for the basic car and then the options list is where they really gouge you.
Examples I noted:- Audi A7 and BMW 5 series with high end engines, circa 180,000 plus options.

Audi A7 Bang and Olfusen high end stereo system option cost $15,000 Kiwi and is still an optional extra even on the top priced Audi A7.
BMW 5 Series Bang and Olfusen high end stereo option cost $9,900 Kiwi, again an option of every 5 series derivative.

A vast array of the technology that's included as standard in the spec of the SRT8 are hugely expensive options on these cars, more often options that are several thousand dollars for each item.

If one were to spec up either of the above named Euro's to the same level of kit and technology as the SRT8, with an equilivent power plant that would give circa 5 second 0-100 k.p.h. performance, you'd be looking at just north of $200,000 !!

Best value Euro here that's on a par with the tech in the SRT8 would be the Jaguar XFR, which has recently been reduced to $160,000 Kiwi but you'd still have to plunder the options list to the tune of about $10,000 to match the SRT8's kit so you'd be nudging $170,000 for the new 2013 model.

Not suggesting the SRT8 is a Euro standard car by any means BUT I reckon its amazing value for money, especially in Australia, $66,000 is almost insane.
So what if it had a few more squeaks and the odd rattle as it aged. Euro cars are not immune to those things too... and neither are Euro cars immune to savage depreciation, in fact quite the opposite, they're prone to it.
I reckon we will see quite a few former Euro buyers spitting the dummy with the price gouging the Euro's subject us too and buying the Chrysler instead. An especially good tactic in tighter economic times I would have thought.

Last edited by Rodge; 08-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

The Euros are certainly the masters of the options list.

Not hard to take a BMW model and by the time you have put what you want on it add the price of a new G6E on top of what the BMW base model started out as; and it is even possible to add the price of a new GT in options alone to the price of some of the more upmarket Euro models.

Merc E class is an example even, although Merc are less mercenary on the options than many Euro brands. Mercedes have been advertising for months in all major newspapers with E class starting from $79,000, doesn't take much in options for that to get close to 100k before it is something you would really like to drive though.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
The Euros are certainly the masters of the options list.

Not hard to take a BMW model and by the time you have put what you want on it add the price of a new G6E on top of what the BMW base model started out as; and it is even possible to add the price of a new GT in options alone to the price of some of the more upmarket Euro models.

Merc E class is an example even, although Merc are less mercenary on the options than many Euro brands. Mercedes have been advertising for months in all major newspapers with E class starting from $79,000, doesn't take much in options for that to get close to 100k before it is something you would really like to drive though.
And if you'd like a high performance engine to go with that, no problem.. just add a 1 at the start of that price !! The way Mercedes-charge for high end engines really takes your breath away. Jaguar and other Euro's are no different, I see you can get a 4 cyl diesel XF Jaguar for the sort of money you're talking about but an XFR is about $200,000 in Australia last time I looked

People have got to be getting sick of these sort of rort's surely ???

Last edited by Rodge; 08-08-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
VICFPV

Smile Re: THE GT335 competitor 300c SRT8 is going to be cheaper...

Here is my take on sound systems options.
You go and buy a performance car.
Now that you have your performance car you are restricted in using its performance ie speeding tickets. If you had a great sound system in it then I think it will be a great trade off as you will be able to use it without restrictions in your performance car while cruising along at the speed limit enjoying the music. It just provides that icing on the cak
e feeling.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
mcnews
Trev

On another note about what the competition offers. Holden just announced 0.5% finance across a range of vehicles....
Old 08-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
On another note about what the competition offers. Holden just announced 0.5% finance across a range of vehicles....

US has sometimes had 0% for 20 years. we are getting there
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
Wolfinsheepsclothing
preying on lions

why don't you upgrade your stereo i.e- new speakers, amp(s) and sub if your not happy with factory set up,then you can have what you want
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
VICFPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by taupiriboy
why don't you upgrade your stereo i.e- new speakers, amp(s) and sub if your not happy with factory set up,then you can have what you want
True you can do this as well but spending over 60k on a car then having to fork out another 3k or more for aftermarket gear that may not be intergrated properly by the installers is a hassle that I rather not endure. As I went down this path in my GT. Would you let someone pull apart the interior of your new car then put it back together again without losing the screws or cutting corners to get the gear working. Don't get me wrong there are good installers out there but I don't feel comfortable with it.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #13
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't buy my GT for the stereo, I bought it for the SC Miami, and in that respect I couldn't care less about the stereo!
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICFPV
True you can do this as well but spending over 60k on a car then having to fork out another 3k or more for aftermarket gear that may not be intergrated properly by the installers is a hassle that I rather not endure. As I went down this path in my GT. Would you let someone pull apart the interior of your new car then put it back together again without losing the screws or cutting corners to get the gear working. Don't get me wrong there are good installers out there but I don't feel comfortable with it.
That's how I feel about it too. When you spend $90,000 Kiwi on a SC GT-P it should allready have true premium sound. I've looked into this. The head unit is intergrated into the vehicles ICC and is but impossible to upgrade if you want to retain the vehicles factory look and ICC functionality. Sure a speaker and sub upgrade would help somewhat...at this stage I've just done a serious upgrade to my office stereo system so that's slated my acoustic appetite for now.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's rubbish, so I just turn mine down and give it some herbs and listen to the donk instead
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
it's rubbish, so I just turn mine down and give it some herbs and listen to the donk instead
and Spring is just around the corner so getting the windows down for a better listen certainly doesn't hurt

They sound a bit louder in performance mode, anyone else noticed that or is it just my imagination ?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #17
Bosexr6
Starter Motor

I totally agree with what you are saying rodge. I have always been a ford man through and through and no doubt FPV make some awesome rides with their vehicles. Although I am now at the stage in life where I just want a nice cruisy V8 where I can sit back crank the tunes right up and I thought I would never buy an American car but this new SRT8 looks very interesting and a great sound package.

I just can't seem to find that 'cruisy v8' with an epic sound system and I'm not the kind of guy that is a modder/builder I've always had heart for what gets produced in a factory and leaving it in its skin so to speak.

Are there really any other options (outside of Europe i just can't justify that premium) that could see me get the best of both worlds because Holden/Ford just don't offer what Im looking for outside of their awesome drive train package.

Thanks.
Bosexr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
Rodge
Banned

^^ Welcome to the forum BoseXR6. Certain Holden / HSV models come with Bose sound and there's the new VF next year which may give them a further advantage. Other than that you can't beat 19 speaker Harmon Kardon system in the SRT8 is a real class act as is all the rest of the technology that comes with it. Provided you like the styling its a huge amount of car for the money.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #19
bouka

SRT8 did a 4.83 0-100 and 12.8 1/4 at 180klm in motors bang for buck. This thing has the performance to match the stereo. 80-120 was 4.1 though. Either a misprint or the 5 speed caught in no where land.

The 8 speed zf will be a real weapon.

Genuine competitor I think.
bouka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #20
F6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouka
SRT8 did a 4.83 0-100 and 12.8 1/4 at 180klm in motors bang for buck. This thing has the performance to match the stereo. 80-120 was 4.1 though. Either a misprint or the 5 speed caught in no where land.

The 8 speed zf will be a real weapon.

Genuine competitor I think.
Interesting article that BFYB, the big tank slayed the BMW 1M in ; 0-100, 1/4 ET, 1/4 trap, VMax and outbraked it 100-0. It was no whale on the track either... not bad for a yank tank.
Looks are still iffy but better than the previous model.

All that kit std, a list that FPV/HSV could only ever dream of offering as options.

I've said it before, once the ZF 8sp arrives ...its bye, bye povo pack F6E...

current rides.....
F6E - Cooler, Cat, CAI, Flash, 20's, SSL's - 317 rwkw : 9/10
BFII - Workhorse yoot : 6/10

past bitches of note.....
E60 M5 - V10 excess, the pinacle : 11/10
VE SSV - 102000 trouble free Kms : 9/10
VZ Cross8 - V8 AWD, great allrounder. : 8/10
BA XR8 - Fat & Slow : 3/10
XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
F6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #21
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

8 speed tranny will be out 2013. Having owned a BFGT with the ZF, the 5 speed auto is no match for the ZF 6 speed. A real shame considering the 6.1 and now 6.4l hemi are an awesome motor. Unlike the ZF, the 5 speed auto just doesnt seem like its in the right gear for the speed its doing, or am i just spoilt by the ZF's brilliance?

FOR SALE oil catch cans and cats back exhaust to suit BA|F GT. PM FOR MORE INFO
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Doesn't say much for Mopar durability.

Haverhill Police Department in Massachusetts abandoned the Crown Victoria four years ago in favour of the Dodge Charger, but reliability issues and some advantages for the Caprice PPV has seen them turn to the Holden-built product.

Lieutenant Robert Pistone told the Eagle Tribune in Haverhill that officers liked the Charger’s speed, handling and looks, but that mechanical problems had prompted them to look at the Caprice.

He said most of the original eight Chargers the city purchased either have blown engines or blown transmissions and that about half the fleet was taken out of service.

“Once they reached 80,000 to 90,000 miles (about 130,000 to 145,000km), they started breaking down more frequently than the Crown Vics,” said Lt Pistone.

“Only three are still in regular service and a lot of the ones that died are being used for parts.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #23
Rodge
Banned

You'd be a brave man to buy an ex police force SC FPV done 150,000 km's.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
Rodge
Banned

Good balanced review IMO. Black looks quite good...
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...IEWS/120719839
Old 12-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #25
mcnews
Trev

Seriously, I am a Mopar man through and through, that thing is supemegafuggly with a mouldy mungbeam twist from the outside to the inside. I am so not one eyed, as most of you know, but that thing could suck my willy while I drive and I still wouldn't want it. Give me the tech/driveline in the Challenger styling and I'm there, but that thing, ooh my eyes... :-(
Old 13-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #26
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Seriously, I am a Mopar man through and through, that thing is supemegafuggly with a mouldy mungbeam twist from the outside to the inside. I am so not one eyed, as most of you know, but that thing could suck my willy while I drive and I still wouldn't want it. Give me the tech/driveline in the Challenger styling and I'm there, but that thing, ooh my eyes... :-(
Seriously Trev, looks are ALWAYS a subjective thing. It ain't no Jaguar XFR that's for sure and I prefer the FPV shape and styling, no question BUT there's sooo much tech and gear its a very tempting proposition...besides you don't look at the exterior when you're driving it...
Old 15-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought this might be of some relevance here. Credit to original poster.

http://imageshack.us/f/402/img0028ble.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/705/img0029urq.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/713/img0030fn.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/52/img0031tb.jpg/

So a rough summation shows the Ecoboost Falcon only a second slower than the SRT8 around Wakefield park, and 0.27 of a second slower from 80-120km/h.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #28
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

personally i reckon it looks great
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #29
EFFalcon
Last warning

trying to work out why the G6 & 300 are even in that comparison.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #30
Rodge
Banned

I expect the 80-120 time of the SRT8 to drop to about 3.0 seconds with the forthcoming ZF 8 speed box which will also benifet track times. The existing MBenz 5G Tronic box is very slow on the kickdown, shift times are also slow and there's no doubt in my mind the cars performance will be significantly enhanced with the better box in due course.

BTW SRT8 was over 2 seconds quicker to 100 k.p.h. and more than 7 seconds quicker to 170 k.p.h. than the Ecoboost.

Ecoboost looks handy in the twisties but I think the SRT8 acquitted itself very well for a car that's designed to be a blend of luxury and performance.

Which car won the competition ? The cheap and cheerful Toyota 86 ? which seems hard to beat on a bang for bucks basis...

Last edited by Rodge; 15-08-2012 at 01:28 PM.