Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #181
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I had one of my home brews tonight, a Blue Mountains lager I made last year. Taste is ok, though I'm sure I overdid the sugar for carbonation during conditioning as it's insta-head as you pour it from the bottle.

I've got some of my last brew, which was a Bavarian Witbier that tastes a little like Schofferhofer, in the fridge ready for race 2 tomorrow. I like that one more, though it was from a wort kit I got for Xmas so it had fewer things to screw up. Run out of my Leffe Blonde copy, that was yummy too.

Need to ponder my next brew, winter is a good time for brewing as it's easier to control the temps, particularly for ale yeasts.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 12:26 AM   #182
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sitting back drinking some heineken's atm. Very relaxing :P
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #183
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Yeah I have tried Mountain Goat before - 'twas quite nice. And I hve to say that Little Creatures brew a damn good beer also.

Paxton, I had to order Hop Thief in from Dan Murphy's as pretty much everywhere up here had sold out. Hopefully you won;t have to do the same.
Plus one for little creatures. It's a top drink bit I've only had it once in WA. Trumer pils, an Austrian(?) pilsner, well worth the look and the cost. About 29$ a 6pack
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #184
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

29 bucks for Pilsner? Bloody hell...that's pricey!

My fave beer is the Trappist brew of La Trappe of the Koenigshoeven brewery in Holland.
16 bucks for a four pack...7% alcohol content, but easy to drink.
You don't know flavour until you've tried the Trappist offerings.

The others are more expensive though...Rochefort are not cheap. 11 bucks for their Rochefort 10.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #185
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we cant get enough stock of the little creatures here in geelong

on a side note

for those that drink Carlton Cold have a look at what you are getting now

they have dropped it to a mid strenth from 4.9% to 4.0 % alc content and not dropped the price

as for what i like i am changing my tastes of beers all the time ... i prefer a bitter

the other day i tried a couple of barefoot radler and was quietly impressed with the all round flavour and the feel on the pallet

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #186
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Yeah I have tried Mountain Goat before - 'twas quite nice. And I hve to say that Little Creatures brew a damn good beer also.

Paxton, I had to order Hop Thief in from Dan Murphy's as pretty much everywhere up here had sold out. Hopefully you won;t have to do the same.
+1 For little creatures. I love their pale ale in particular (when i can find it on tap especially). I brew my own ales now (rough but i'm getting there...quite drinkable the last one). Trying to find little creatures is getting mreo and more difficult. I couldn't find it at all last time i checked. Time before that i had to put a carton together out of six packs and singles at the toowong first choice....just about cleaned them out. Never enough stock of the stuff.....

As for lagers...well i like the new zealand stuff in particular, or my own 12 month old lager.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #187
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

My fave beer is the Trappist brew of La Trappe of the Koenigshoeven brewery in Holland.
16 bucks for a four pack...7% alcohol content, but easy to drink.
You don't know flavour until you've tried the Trappist offerings.
Got some of that in the fridge right now - it's good, but not rave about it good.
And before you ask, yes, I do drink it out of a glass.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #188
Paxton
Cobblers!

I managed to source some Hop Thief, and it is in the fridge, ready for the Formula One tonight.

It was the last case left at my local Vintage Cellars. Looking forward to it.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 01:26 AM   #189
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
Has anyone tried Bellevue Kriek, Its a very very strong cherry beer, but still not a bad drop for something different.
yes! i liked it, was definately an experience drinking that one. It wasn't like a beer at all.

Drinking Little Creatures Bright Ale atm, love their whole range.

everyday beer of choice: Coopers Sparkling Ale

i love a coopers vintage ale/hoegaarden on the odd occasion too.
Old 22-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #190
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Best ive ever tried: Bellevue Kriek

Favourites in no particular order:
Little Creatures Pale Ale
James Squire IPA
Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #191
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had Trumer Pils the other nite, was good, only cost me $17 tho...

BIIIIG fan of JSB stuff, hoptheif and pepperberry are some of my favorites...

Gage Roads pump out good stuff, my favorite beer atm is Wahoo....

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #192
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Man this thread is amazing. It's really nice to see that there are people with the same tastes as I do, well outside of a home brew forum. Most of my friends call me a beer snob and don't understand this need to move beyond to beer horizons of VB, Crown Larger and other Australian main stream products. Again not to sound like a Beer Snob, but I find most of them very bland. This is just my personal view and we all have different tastes.

I found a taste over 10 years ago, when I visited the US and went to a range of mircobrewries in the New England region. It really opened my eyes to what beer really is beyond something that has to be drunk icy cold on a hot day to mask a lack of taste.

Everytime I visit DM and find something new I always make a point or at least grabbing 2 stubbies. 1 to try and the other to add to my collection.

I have been collecting all the James Squire beers and have all the bottles, except for the 10/20 Celebration Ale. Does anyone know if you can still get this as I would like to have a stubbie to try?

One JS beer I have a few bottle left is the Mad Brewers Raspberry wheat beer. It was not to my total liking, as little to strong is Raspbery flavor for my liking.

Anyways great thread and keep up the good work guys.

Cheers
Mark "The Beer Snob"

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #193
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
I had Trumer Pils the other nite, was good, only cost me $17 tho...

BIIIIG fan of JSB stuff, hoptheif and pepperberry are some of my favorites...

Gage Roads pump out good stuff, my favorite beer atm is Wahoo....
Wish it was cheaper over here in adelaide. I paid around 29 for it a while ago, then dad started drinking it, so 'yoink'. My current fave would have to be the limited run Hop Thief Ale. Really good beer. I only drink beer in hot weather, as it cools and refreshens. In colder weather I enjoy heavy bourbons, scotch or wine as it helps heat the body somewhat. When summer rolls around, I will be down at the bay regularly, enjoying the sun and a cold beer of varying description.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #194
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark s
Man this thread is amazing. It's really nice to see that there are people with the same tastes as I do, well outside of a home brew forum. Most of my friends call me a beer snob and don't understand this need to move beyond to beer horizons of VB, Crown Larger and other Australian main stream products. Again not to sound like a Beer Snob, but I find most of them very bland. This is just my personal view and we all have different tastes.

I found a taste over 10 years ago, when I visited the US and went to a range of mircobrewries in the New England region. It really opened my eyes to what beer really is beyond something that has to be drunk icy cold on a hot day to mask a lack of taste.

Everytime I visit DM and find something new I always make a point or at least grabbing 2 stubbies. 1 to try and the other to add to my collection.

I have been collecting all the James Squire beers and have all the bottles, except for the 10/20 Celebration Ale. Does anyone know if you can still get this as I would like to have a stubbie to try?

One JS beer I have a few bottle left is the Mad Brewers Raspberry wheat beer. It was not to my total liking, as little to strong is Raspbery flavor for my liking.

Anyways great thread and keep up the good work guys.

Cheers
Mark "The Beer Snob"
I'm a home brewer and cider maker as well, though I havent put down a brew in awhile now. I have enough gear to put down 150 litres of brew in primary ferment at short notice though.

You are right about mainstream beer being bland here, not enough hops, not enough fermentation, and the grain loadouts are too basic for there to be any real flavour.

Is your james squire rasberry a lambic brew like bellevue kriek? I've always wanted to brew one myself but its more complex than doing a full mash apparently.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 23-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #195
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

I got into home brew and got a keg setup with 2 X kegs + lines, reg, tap and gas bottle. Due to other commitments I had put it aside for several years. It currently sits in my gargage with tools and motorbikes.

Now that winter is here I have been tempted to try a partial mash. The guys at the local home brew shop have let me try several different batches and all dont have a hint of home brew about them. They had a pale ale, which tasted so close to a Little Creatures it was not funny.

I also need to get a fridge set up for kegs and I really think for it to work out well 6 kegs would be the minimum as to let the beer get some keg time prior to drinking. Space is another issue at the moment. I really need a bar fridge big enough to slot under the bar

I have not tried the bellevue kriek. I will have to keep an eye out at Dan's and sample a bottle or 2. Maybe in the next few days as it is pay week. I will give an update once I get a few bottles.

Cheers
Mark

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #196
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

partials are nice and easy, full mash takes too much time, and the few times I have attempted it ive been so blind by the end it was a hit and miss affair. (never do a mash party it ends horribly)

One of my best brews was made using a dark porter partial kit and cadburys drinking chocolate(no preservatives). What came out was great to drink, heavy but only about 5% so you could have a few without fear.

My ciders have brought a few people down to earth thinking its a girlie drink. However my ciders are about 12% and will kill a full grown male elephant when consumed in quantity. It also doubles as a great solvent. Zinfadel yeast FTW.

Fridge setups are dangerous. My mate had one and several times we drained it. It causes pain through convenience.

You might also consider using wood barrels as well for secondary/tertiary instead of worrying about time in a steel keg(which usually doesnt add much except settling), i had a 200 litre french oak bourbon barrel for mine(charring removed), however right now its full of 200 litres of cognac and port at a mates place. Which reminds me i should go around there and claim my half.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 23-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #197
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
One of my best brews was made using a dark porter partial kit and cadburys drinking chocolate(no preservatives). What came out was great to drink, heavy but only about 5% so you could have a few without fear.
Reminds me of the Wells and Youngs Double Chocolate Stout i had a couple of weeks ago (one of my experimental picks at Dan Murphys)!... Very intresting to smell and taste ..
Old 23-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #198
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Reminds me of the Wells and Youngs Double Chocolate Stout i had a couple of weeks ago (one of my experimental picks at Dan Murphys)!... Very intresting to smell and taste ..
yeah thats one of my favourites as well, however they accomplish theirs through double the amount of chocolate grain in the mash. Beer is great to experiment with, as is cider.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 23-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #199
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You are right about mainstream beer being bland here, not enough hops, not enough fermentation, and the grain loadouts are too basic for there to be any real flavour.
Its all because its quickly made/ quick consumption.

Real beers can be poured and drunk at room temperature (17ish degrees) and unfortunately most of the stuff out of Carlton and United breweries and Castlemaine Breweries are lacklustre and bland.

I am going to Bavaria and Germany in the few months time, my tastebuds will be thanking me then!

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #200
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Its all because its quickly made/ quick consumption.

Real beers can be poured and drunk at room temperature (17ish degrees) and unfortunately most of the stuff out of Carlton and United breweries and Castlemaine Breweries are lacklustre and bland.

I am going to Bavaria and Germany in the few months time, my tastebuds will be thanking me then!
Lion Nathan cant let the bogans sober up, they will revolt. Coopers is probably the best of a bad lot really, their beer is passable, but still megaswill.

when I was in the UK I had many a pint at cellar temperature and they are great. Its the real difference between robust ales versus 10 second lager brewed in a steel pot by a blind chimp who was no doubt swimming in the wort only moments before bottling.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 23-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #201
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:

when I was in the UK I had many a pint at cellar temperature and they are great. Its the real difference between robust ales versus 10 second lager brewed in a steel pot by a blind chimp who was no doubt swimming in the wort only moments before bottling.
Speaking of swimming, I used to work at CUB in Abbotsford, VIC. in the eighties, and in summer, you could always find someone swimming in the vats, their preferred swimming hole was Crown Lager as they knew all the toffs would be drinking it.

Don't think OH&S would allow that now, nor did they back then, but there are always some naughty ones.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #202
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

thats surprising, one would think the layer of Co2 over the wort would have killed them pretty quickly.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 23-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #203
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy
Speaking of swimming, I used to work at CUB in Abbotsford, VIC. in the eighties, and in summer, you could always find someone swimming in the vats, their preferred swimming hole was Crown Lager as they knew all the toffs would be drinking it.

I heard a bloke drowned doing that, when his wife arrived to identify the body she asked "was it a quick death ?" the Brewery manager replied "no it was slow actually, he got out twice to take a leak"......
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #204
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I heard a bloke drowned doing that, when his wife arrived to identify the body she asked "was it a quick death ?" the Brewery manager replied "no it was slow actually, he got out twice to take a leak"......
actually laughed out loud to that
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #205
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thats surprising, one would think the layer of Co2 over the wort would have killed them pretty quickly.
I'd agree with that. I know in the wineries they are very strict on entering confined spaces due to Co2. In California in the winery I worked at, you needed 3 people when entering a confined space. One to go in, one to yank you out if you passed out and one to go and summon help. If you went in, you had to have a harness and cable attached so you could be dragged to the opening without another person having to enter. This all came about from one of the workers being found dead in a tank. (It happened a few years before I worked there, but the memorial was still set up in front of the tank)
Old 23-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #206
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
I'd agree with that. I know in the wineries they are very strict on entering confined spaces due to Co2. In California in the winery I worked at, you needed 3 people when entering a confined space. One to go in, one to yank you out if you passed out and one to go and summon help. If you went in, you had to have a harness and cable attached so you could be dragged to the opening without another person having to enter. This all came about from one of the workers being found dead in a tank. (It happened a few years before I worked there, but the memorial was still set up in front of the tank)
yeah thats pretty much standard procedure where breathing equipment isn't available.

Commercial beer fermenters are pretty much sealed steel vessels with a CO2 trap on top, and an inspection point near the trap. The C02 covers the wort and the sealed fermenter stops any chance of infection. Theres rarely any need to open an inspection hatch unless its leaking wort or C02. I'd hazard they are pretty much identical to the wine industries fermenters.

The whole swimming in beer bit is pure urban myth.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #207
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do you guys drink your beers out of the bottle or pour it into a glass?
I decided to give Mountain Goat pale ale a try. I thought it was pretty average until i tried it out of a glass. What a huge difference it makes!!!

thoughts?
Old 05-07-2009, 01:28 AM   #208
PALE ALE

For taste, you cant beat a homebrewed beer. Being a born and bred "Souf Ustrayan", drank Coopers my whole life. For bought beer, wont touch a beer that has "best before" printed on it, only "best after", unless I have no choice.
One of the nicest beers i've tried was a nice pint of Hoffenbrau, at the German arms up at Hahndorf
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 01:36 AM   #209
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LOUDXFUTE
do you guys drink your beers out of the bottle or pour it into a glass?
I decided to give Mountain Goat pale ale a try. I thought it was pretty average until i tried it out of a glass. What a huge difference it makes!!!

thoughts?
I always drink a decent beer in a glass. NEver from the bottle. If its mass produced swill then it makes little difference (but you are usually drinking it so cold to hide the nasty flavour who cares anway).

It think ti does make a difference, particularly ales. I drank my first ever bottle of little creatures from a bottle...i thought it seemed flat compared to the one i had on tap at a pub. 5 minutes later the same bottle of beer (now in a glass) and it tasted excellent as usual.

I've never tried the mountain goat....have to find some here in Brisbane.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #210
DTFRMONT

I'm on the Fat Yaks at the moment. Bit pricey but very nice. Have some Oranjebooms in the fridge at the moment for something different, another nice one.

Someone mentioned Aldi beers a while back, their German beers are pretty good, especially for the price, usually around 30 bucks or so a slab. Their locally brewed stuff is ordinary though...
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post